Kings Cross & Potts Point Restaurants, Sydney

by cjg1

Fratelli Paradiso: Fratelli Paradiso

by cjg1 Updated Oct 28, 2007

Gnocchi with Veal.  October 16, 2007

We had walked past this place several times before we finally stopped in. After all it is just a couple doors down from the Simpson’s. Each and every time it was jammed packed. Always so busy, breakfast lunch and dinner, that one wondered if a table could be had.

A fairly dark place they have the menu written up on a blackboard in Italian. They come around and seem to take joy in having to explain it all to you. So they did seem disappointed when we knew what we wanted and ordered it without the whole thing needing to be explained. After all, especially with food, language is often without need of translation.

They sport themselves a rather decent wine list which seems to be the norm in this section of town. The service is quite good and they do not seem to be in any rush to make you leave. Both times we ate here we had to ask for the bill to come and still it took some time. And truth be told, I like that in a place. Nothing worse than paying for a meal out and being rushed right out because you’re not eating or drinking enough.

Favorite Dish: The first time she ordered the Gnocchi with Veal and I was to have the Lasagna. I found out after we ate that the lasagna is one of their signature dishes. I can completely understand why. It was very good and just what I needed after a very long and hard day that had started on the beach in 95 degree weather and was ending back in this wonderful neighborhood with temps in the mid 50s. I didn’t even mind that their lasagna has meat in it. I normally do not like it in mine, but theirs is quite good and as I said, just what I needed. We also had a salad to share.

The second time we were here we thought we’d get her the gnocchi again and were surprised to find that the menu had changed. I don’t know if they could have or would have made it anyway as she decided on the Risotto, which much to her surprise she enjoyed very much and has already recreated in the first couple days home in New York. This time I had the Tagliatelle. I however did not expect what I got, based on an improperly named dish at a different restaurant. But hey, surprises are not a bad thing. I enjoyed it very much. We once again decided to skip their desert and go to Yellow around the corner before heading back home.

Yellow Bistro and Food Store: Yellow Bistro and Food Store

by cjg1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fish & Chips

My favorite restaurant in Sydney. That should say it all. But I will go on.

Our first visit here was just for dessert take-away. We came into the shop and were amazed and awed by the large display of desserts. The pic above only shows one side of the display. After some time to decide we settled on our picks. I was to have the rhubarb pie and Liz chose the chocolate truffle cookie.

After these amazing treats we decided we had to eat a meal here. And that was to come a couple days later when we stopped in for her birthday lunch. We were given a corner table with a good view of the small dining area for our semi-late lunch. WOW. What a great lunch we had. After a quick Cascade beer our food shows up. She had what I consider the single best meal in all of Sydney. The spinach gnocchi was absolutely amazing. So much so she’d have it again for our last dinner on Saturday night. I had decided I needed a filling comfort meal and ordered the fried fish and chips. This was just perfect. Tasty and filling I came away praising it well. And of course we had to take some more tasty desserts with us. She chose the cheesecake and I got the $15 tub of Tiramisu. Admittedly I let it go for a couple mornings before I ate mine but she ate up and loved hers.

We then also chose this as our last meal in Sydney this trip (2007). We walked in at about 6pm and were surprised to be asked if we had a reservation and then that it might be a problem. In the end it wasn’t and we got our table.

She went ahead and ordered as I mentioned the spinach gnocchi again. I decided this time to go with the fusilli with chili prawns. Once again I was completely thrilled with my meal and hers was just as she expected. We both chose to not drink anything but sparkling water this time. Then on our way out we got dessert again. I once again had the rhubarb pie and she had the caramel crème puff. Wow once again. Throw in the stop for just dessert the day between the two meals here for an apricot tart for her and you can see that it is my favorite restaurant.

Favorite Dish: During our 2010 trip, Liz and I had the pleasure of eating lunch and dinner here. Lunch was after a day of exploring Potts Point and we were very hungry. I ordered some pasta in a tomato mushroom sauce which was very good. My wife had some gnocchi in a spicy tomato sauce with peppers.

My Birthday dinner here was incredibly good and so was the company; my wife and our good friend Laura. We started with some delicious garlic bread and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. I had the sole for dinner, Liz had the tagliatelle with mushrooms and I don't remember what Laura had for an entree. I loved my meal the fish was tender and very flavorful. The ladies loved their meals and I managed to steal some bites of my wife's pasta; it was delicious.

Dessert was incredible. I had the large portion of Tiramisu which is the best Tiramisu I have ever eaten anywhere. Laura had the chocolate mousse and Liz had the flourless chocolate cake. They were delighted with their chocolate creations and enjoyed taking portions of each others dessert to compare. It was an incredible meal and we enjoyed the evening. It as one of my favorite Birthday memories.

• amyhenderson's Profile Photo

Hugo's Pizzeria: 10/10 for Hugo's Pizzeria!! Don't miss this one!

by amyhenderson Updated Jul 13, 2005

Hugo's Pizzeria opened this month (July '04) and is just below the reknown Hugo's Lounge. Thin-crust neopolitan pizza, impressive wine list, great service, buzzing atmosphere and definitely my new favourite Sydney restaurant!

There is also a bar in the restaurant where one can have a drink if you're there on a busy night and waiting for a table. Also a nice experience.

Bi-fold windows allow the restaurant to open up quite a bit and share inside with outside and vice-versa.

Most importantly, make sure you leave room for dessert!

Favorite Dish: We started off with a mezza plate to share... this included beautiful black olives, fresh oysters with a strawberry sorbet on the side, salt & pepper calamari, black olives & thin breadsticks wrapped in proscuitto. presentation 10/10, cuisine 9/10. $15 pp

We ordered 2 pizzas to share between the two of us. Pizzas were fabulous and I don't think you could go wrong with choices here. Presentation 8/10, cuisine 10/10. Between $15-$19 each.

OHMYGOD, the Tiramisu here is orgasmic. Now I don't use this word lightly. But really, if I was not in a public place at the time, I would have done the "oohhh" "ahhhhh" "mmmm" as I ate this. I've tried a lot of Tiramisu and this is by far the best. Better than Mums even (sorry Mum). $12 and well worth it!!!! Presentation 10/10, cuisine 10/10.

We splurged and got a bottle of wine too. Total bill was $120 for 2 people.

UPDATE: Uh oh, it's now Jul '05 and I've just learnt they constantly change the desert menu. At the moment, no tiramisu. We did however, enjoy a caramelised pear pizza. Sounds odd I know, but once again, was divine. I believe 'there is a French chef taking care of deserts there... no more needs to be said! = )

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Fratelli Paradiso: Delicious, Authentic Italian Food

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 6, 2009

Gnocchi Vitello

Fratelli Paradiso was located right up the street from where we were staying in Potts Point. We had passed the restaurant several times before actually going in (the place was always jam packed with people). The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating (wether permitting). Inside is a dark dining room with candles lighting the tables. The menu is written on the chalkboard walls and changes daily. The menu consists of a variety of pastas, meats, salads, appetizers and desserts. The menu is in Italian but I speak it so it was no problem. Our waiter actually seemed dissapointed that he didn't get to translate for us. We came here twice during our Sydney trip and enjoyed the fabulous food and excellent service. I am very picky about my Italian food and this place was incredibly good. This is a resturant that is cozy and romantic; perfect for a nice dinner for two.

Favorite Dish: Our first visit here I ordered the Gnocchi with veal and Chris had the Lasagna. The Gnocchi were perfect fluffy pasta pillows and the veal was incredibly tender. Chris loved his lasagna which we later found out is the restaurant's signature dish.

Our second dinner here I ordered The Risotto Pomodoro and Chris ordered the Tagliatelle in Meat Sauce. The Risoto was perfectly cooked and in a creamy tomato sauce with a dollop of marscapone on top. The fresh pepper and basil made the sauce so flavorful. Chris enjoyed his Tagliatelle but not as much as the Lasagna.

• Beaches

• dracko's Profile Photo

Spring Espresso: Creativity's the game!

by dracko Written Dec 11, 2003

Sydney is full of little cafes on almost every corner. This one I found to be more creative than most, so it gets a tip of its own as a reward :). Located on the corner of Challis Ave. and MacLeay St. in Potts Point, this is a cute cafe, with outside seating, good food, and reasonable prices. If you're staying in the area, you may want to stop by for lunch & check it out. And did I mention they're creative?

Favorite Dish: Be sure to order a Flat White.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Roy's Famous: Cheap & Cheerful - 'Roy's Famous'

by leffe3 Written Jul 21, 2004

Recommended by Lonely Planet, Roy's Famous is a sprawling, popular cafe to be found in the middle of a number of Backpacker's hostels and hotels. Its a bit like the Dr Who Tardis - a fairly large open fronted double-shop front where the service counter dominates, a wide but shallow space with a number of outdoor tables. But go behind the counter and you will find another huge space and a rear courtyard. Its comfy and informal and is popular place for drinks, sandwiches and a casual lunch.

Favorite Dish: The menu is extensive and 'comfort food - pastas, salads, sandwiches, schnitzel, sausages and mash etc. The cooked food is probably its weakest point - somewhat uninspiring and bland. But the portions are large, so if you just want to fill with carbs, Roy's Famous is the place to go. If you want something a little more subtle, go elsewhere.

The Fringe Bar: Cheap and Tasty Pub Grub

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Salt & Pepper Squid

The Fringe Bar is an awesome pub that has great pub grub. We came here every Tuesday for Pub Trivia and had a great time. The decor is funky and eclectic; which gives it a fun vibe. The bar has two large areas with plenty of tables, couches and booths. The back room has a darker, lounge type atmosphere with the couches. The atmosphere is laid back and casual. We always felt comfortable hanging out here for Pub Trivia, a drink or a bite to eat with friends.

The food and drinks here are extremely good and inexpensive. Most menu items are under $11 dollars for good food and nice sized portions. We would arrive early for trivia and grab some food and drinks. The S&P calamari, Fish & Chips, Pizza and Salads are very good and for $10 a steal.

We enjoyed having some drinks here and enjoying some good pub grub before some pub trivia with friends.

Favorite Dish: The Fish & Chips are very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed them. The fish was very moist and tender. The batter was crisp and had a good seasoning. The chips were perfectly cooked. The Salt and Pepper Calamari were very good as well and my wife thoroughly enjoyed this dish here. The pizza was a nice personal size and had a good sauce and creamy cheese topping. The tossed salad with chicken was also very good and a large portion.

• kiwiwahine's Profile Photo

Krave Cafe: Cheap Eats

by kiwiwahine Updated Jun 3, 2003

Cheap and cheerful, the usual Aussie pub fare is on offer at this cafe. Steak and Chips, Lasagne, Sausage and Mash etc and they always have a specials board which is great value.

Favorite Dish: At $5.00 the all day breakfast is a good option, eggs any way with tomatoes and toast and your choice of bacon, sausage, beans or hash browns.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Base: New kid on the (Potts Point) Block - 'Base'

by leffe3 Updated Jul 14, 2003

New to the block in a part of Sydney that is fast becoming one of the places to hang out in the evening. 10 minutes walk down the hill from the Cross (Macleay St), past the sleaze, past the felafel and pizza slice outlets and you're into an area of up and coming new'ish restaurants and bars.
    Base is simple, contemporary, compact, welcoming, already popular and not a place for a quiet romantic meal.

Favorite Dish: Pizza and a short selection of fairly straightforward 'mains' (steak and mash: fish of the day etc..)

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

Mezzaluna: Mezzaluna

by SydneyGal Written Aug 25, 2002

Fabulous views of the city skyline, excellent service, lovely interior design.
    Mezzaluna's cuisine is best described as modern Italian. The cuisine is exciting, innovative and represents a new and refreshing approach to Italian cooking.
    It is a place to go for a special occasion or if you have American dollars (!) as it is one of Sydney's pricier restaurants.

Favorite Dish: Squid Ink Pasta, Atlantic Salmon, Wine!

• carstenj's Profile Photo

Mezzaluna

by carstenj Written Aug 24, 2002

Mezzaluna
    The View. The outside covered area faces the city skyline.

Favorite Dish: Modern Italian. Their Lamb is excellent and they serve quite a few seafood dishes as well as pastas etc.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Check around!: Cheap Eats @ Kings Cross

by xuessium Written Jul 9, 2008
    FrothCafe

Kings Cross is home to a great cluster of budget hotels and hostels (and colourful night spots as well) and so it's no surprise you'll find many money saving meal deals here.

No, I'm not talking about Fast Food. Heaven's sake.
    Surely, there are real food you can chomp on.

Walk up and down Darlinghurst - you are bound to bump into a cheap meal possibility here and there.

Souvlaki shops are plenty.
    Check out the Pies.
    A$10 Steaks!
    A$6 Breakfast!!

Favorite Dish: Check out Pie Face for pies (from A$4 for 1)

Check out both Froth Cafe and William's Cafe along Darlinghurst, near to Kings Cross Train Station for A$6 breakfast (Toasts, eggs & sausages/bacon).

• Study Abroad

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Kings Cross & Potts Point Restaurants: King Cross TOP Restaurants.

by Openseas Updated Oct 8, 2007

Kings Cross

Baywater Brasserie - 32 Bayswater Road - Mediterranean - 93572177

Mere Catherine - 166 Victoria Street - French - 9358 2000

Jimmy Links - 188 Victoria Street - Asian - 83541400

Mezzaluna - 123 Victoria Street - Italian - 9357 1988

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• Kings Cross & Potts Point Restaurants: Fantastic Japanese fusion food!

by takaewan Written May 31, 2005

Located in Kings Cross/Darlinghurst, and once home to another successful restaurant, Chez Oz, RISE is a restaurant that not only follows the traditions of true Japanese cooking and presentation, but also the style of Asian cuisine that is of interest to its local clientele. RISE perfectly depicts the road ahead for proprietor and Executive Chef, Raita Noda. Creative beyond his tender 30 years, Raita has carefully carved a niche in Japanese dining in Sydney with his recently refurbished RISE restaurant.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish in this restaurant is "tomato foie gras" japanese style fry dish with soy sauce base. This is the famouse dish in this restaurant. you can order as a a la carte and also including in the couse dish.

other dish:

• Kings Cross & Potts Point Restaurants: Fantastic Japanese fusion food!

by takaewan Written May 31, 2005

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish in this restaurant is "tomato foie gras" japanese style deep fry dish with soy sauce base. This is the famouse dish in this restaurant. you can order as a a la carte and also including in the couse dish.

other dish:
    deep fried yellow belly flounder served w/ garden salad (signature dish)

deep fried crispy skin quail & tofu steak w/ shallot flavoured sauce etc......

(Only open for dinner, Tuesday to Sunday)

Instant Answers: Sydney