Newtown, Enmore & Petersham Restaurants, Sydney

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

Oscillate Wildly: Foodies Delight

by pedroswift Updated Nov 26, 2013
    Edible Paper

Oscillate Wildly is one of the best restaurants my wife and I have ever experienced.
    “Experience” is the operative word. We enjoyed the total package. This included the ambience of the intimate “front of shop” dining room, the attentive service from dedicated and knowledgeable staff plus the innovative and beautifully presented food.
    I do like a bit of theatre with my nosh and this was not lacking. Located opposite the Court House and Newtown Police and Fire Stations, the restaurant provides a view of the comings and goings associated with these places.
    We enjoyed people- watching both inside and outside the restaurant as well as checking out what the other customers were drinking. The Melbourne Cup had been run during the day some of our co-diners had cleaned up and had brought-their-own bottles of top-of-the-line Champagne.

This restaurant does an eight course degustation dinner for one hundred dollars per person. There is no a la carte menu and I suspect the only way to vary the offering is if one has food allergies or if a corporate party is catered for in the private dining area. I have rated the cost as "more expensive than average" in the proforma cost section below ....but that comparison is against a broad spectrum of dining choices. There are many restos in Sydney offering a degustation for up to double the price of Oscillate.

The only decision to make is whether to opt for the $75 wine matching package or to select from the extensive wine list.

Oscillate Wildly is open for dinner from Tuesday to Saturday. (Phone bookings between 2-6pm Tue-Sat). It is a popular restaurant with high accolades from the food critics so booking well ahead is recommended.

BYO permitted only on Tuesday.

Closed over the Christmas period from the 22nd of December 2013, re-opening on the 14th of January 2014.

Favorite Dish: The food was fabulous. We both enjoyed every course. Although servings were small, we went away “complete”. The advertised 8 courses stretched to at least 10 including 2 desserts. Also there was an optional offering ($10) - parmesan ice cream on a bed of pangritata.

The starter was “edible paper” (see photograph). It looked like scrunched-up lightly coloured cellophane sprinkled with red crumble which turned out to be freeze-dried plums.
    Next offering was a slice of sugar cane in an insulated glass full of ice cubes. The cane had been infused with gin.
    Following these two taste treats which were eaten with fingers, a bowl was presented with a white elongated button there-in. The addition of water made this grow to four times its original size and it turned out to be a wet hand towel – more theatre.
    Other courses included :-
    Sashimi of Tasmanian Trumpeter Fish on a super-crisp rice / prawn cracker & smoked butter. A delicate taste treat of natural fish with a touch of salt with the crisp.
    Foie Gras on Artichoke, thinly sliced cauliflower and Queensland Nuts.
    Wagyu Beef with a 9+ marbling score – perfectly cooked.
    Murray Cod, potato, nasturtium leaves & young almonds.
    Lime Grenita with fresh coconut.
    Chocolate, Eucalyptus – unusual dessert combination.
    Petit fours and coffee.
    We elected to drink wine by the glass and chose Chardonnay - Domaine Valette Macon Villages 2009 Burgundy, France & Pinot Noir - Claude Maréchal Bourgogne Cuvée Gravel. Both ideal with the food and approx $15 per glass.
    All in all, a most satisfactory experience which Dedicated Foodies should not miss! We'll return next visit to Sydney.

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

Brasserie at Petersham RSL Club: Avoid at all costs if you're starving!

by AusPinay Updated Nov 17, 2011
    chicken pie and vegies, seafood basket

This place is just so disorganised and at best a chaotic place to have a meal. If you are rushing or starving or want a quiet place to have a decent meal, just make sure you avoid this bistro.

I was referred to this place when looking for a place to grab a decent meal before watching a show there just a few metres away from this place. The brasserie has a wide selection of food.

At first glance you get excited as lots of foods you may love are on offer on their menu listed on the top of the front of the resto. There are also hot food displayed which would make you think it won't take long getting food as there are gourmet chicken and vegies pie already on food warmers, grilled fish fillets, steamed vegies, crumbed seafood pieces ,etc.. You get the picture!

But alas, we were fooled. Upon ordering we were given a device to take to our table which would tell us when the food was ready when the green lights flashed! We saw several people going to the right side of the service area getting their food.

So food was ordered and pre-paid and the problem was the long wait! After about 20 minutes of wait, I decided to investigate and true enough, they forgot about our orders. What could be hard- I ordered a chicken pie & vegies..I saw a couple already cooked..right there and then after my complaint, the guy in the counter just scooped up the pie, asked me if I wanted gravy and then put them all in a plate with vegies. Then I said, we also had the seafood basket..another staff took a plate w/ the food all done -just waiting to be picked up..seemed like the number I had in the device wasn't recorded.

I felt sorry for a couple who I recalled were ahead of us in the line and explained they should better ask about their order as we waited a long time only to find out our order was forgotten or even mis recorded, lost, etc..

So inefficient! To think it has that venue for around 300people all the time looks like it.Also other places there include a disco area I presume, plus other function rooms aside from the poker machines..

Anyway, the moral, just avoid them. There is a little cafe beside it that sells meat pies ,cakes, sandwiches, etc. We saw it late after we're already ordered. So sham , we should have ordered there instead.

Favorite Dish: Nothing! In fairness, the pie was palatable enough! The pastry on the edges of the pie plate was stuck and so was just wasted there, shameful! The filling was tasty but nothing to rave about!

Again, eat here at your own risk!

My appetite was gone after my food came very late, my husband's food was cold too. We didn't want to complain anymore as our show was supposed to start soon!

• craic's Profile Photo

Kilimanjaro: Cheap and tasty

by craic Written Sep 18, 2009

My son and his gf took me here and the food was delicious and the service affable and efficient. Handsome African guys in colourful robes.
    Because son and gf are vegetarians we did the vegetarian thing - which was no problem - and we had a tasty mix of dishes. I particularly liked the spinach salad and the ginger drink ($1-50).
    We didn't do desserts because we were stuffed to the gullet and the bill for three came to just under $60 which seems pretty cheap for a good feed in Sydney.
    We had a kind of flat bread and a sort of couscous rissole in tomato and a lentil stew sort of thing and the spinach salad. I had been eating takeaway for a couple of days so was more than ready for something more healthy.
    If you wanted to go the meat route it seemed lamb was the top contender.
    I have no idea which area in Africa the restaurant celebrates. Maybe it is eclectic.
    A very pleasant evening out. The restaurant is like a cafe, just a tiny place, and it was very busy. But they found us a table quick smart.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Perama: One of the best Greek restaurants! :)

by Joseph69 Written Dec 1, 2008

Perama must be one of the best Greek restaurants I have had pleasure of eating at. It's not a big restaurant, and it's family run. There are tables outside if you prefer to not sit inside.

Note that the restaurant is very popular, and bookings are essential.

If you have to choose a Greek restaurant in Sydney, then this is the one! :)

Favorite Dish: If there is one item you should try, you have to have the Greek Salad. They use proper Fetta Cheese with fantastic Greek Olive oil. The salad is how it should be served, with a block of fetta cheese sitting on the top. I have been to so many restaurants that use Australian Fetta (it's just not as good as the Greek stuff) and cheap olive oil.

Others I recommend is the Lamb Skaras, Haloumi Cheese Barberqued, Roasted Pork Neck and the Gemista.

• Business Travel

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

BurgerFuel: A new dimension in gourmet burgers

by cybergenic Updated Jul 24, 2007

burgerfuel

Loud music, modern clean interior, friendly staff, great burgers delicious organic juices.
    A Kiwi concept originating in Auckland NZ recently giving it a good loud go in Sydney Australia.
    Make sure you grab the little foldable cardboard widget they provide that cups your burger and stops it from spilling, right down to the last mouthfull.

Favorite Dish: BASTARD BURGER

• Travel with Pets

• bloke2dollar's Profile Photo

Happy Chef, Newtown: The Best Chinese soups in Sydney

by bloke2dollar Updated Apr 10, 2007

For a fantastic Chinese noodle soup or Malaysian Laksa head to the Happy Chef on King St Newtown. Bit of an institution amongst locals, and although the place looks a bit shabby or plastic, the food is the best and pretty cheap. My favourite BBQ pork wanton egg noodle soup. Try it

• petdec's Profile Photo

Linda's Restaurant: Fabulous Linda

by petdec Written Aug 14, 2005

This Restaurant used to be at the back of The Newtown Hotel but now it has moved further down King Street opposite St Georges Hall near the Newtown Railway Station
    The food is always wonderful. Although the menu is not huge, everything on it is beautifully prepared and lovingly cooked. The service is always good and the staff are always friendly.

Favorite Dish: I love their Porkbellies, and their Creme Brulee.
    Although the menu changes quite a bit and you cant always guarantee that these things are available but when they are, they are wonderful

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

African Feeling: African Feeling

by astro_kerryn Written Apr 28, 2005

The food is fantastic, very subtle flavourings and the hugest prawns I have ever seen! The service was a bit slow, but for the decor and prices, we were expecting that. Definitely worth a shot if you want to try some truly satisfying African food! The prices were pretty good as well

Favorite Dish: Giant king prawn dish............divine!!

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Newtown, Enmore & Petersham Restaurants: Bank Thai

by astro_kerryn Written Apr 26, 2005

The food here is fantastic, I can't rate it highly enough, the staff are so friendly and helpful, the atmosphere varies, depending on what area you sit in. Upstairs, out the back or at the front with the cushions and candles, all feel like a completely different place, when you try a new area you forget you are in the same restaurant. This place is very inexpensive, and not really for the luxury traveller, providing more authentic Thai food as opposed to Australian/Thai gourmet fusion food that you might see at a very expensive restaurant. The food and value is worth it if you are prepared to overlook the average decor.

A group of two to four can share and experience the entree's, mains and desert ofr around A$20 a head including as much rice as you want. And its BYO!! Mains average around A$10-12

Favorite Dish: I love them all but the Octopus has to be the best!

• goldfishgirl's Profile Photo

Manna Restaurant: Cosy resturant, frequented by locals

by goldfishgirl Written Apr 15, 2003

A cosy local restaurant with a 'shabby-chic' vibe that serves really great mod-oz fare, at really reasonable prices. Owned and run by a couple who have been in the restaurant biz in Australia for ages, you will get top a top notch dining experience, without astronomical prices.

Favorite Dish: I usually pick something from the specials bored if I'm there for dinner. If I go for lunch I like their eggs benedict. Possibly the best Hollandaise in Sydney!

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

EAT STREET: KING STREET...

by SydneyGal Updated Dec 9, 2002

EAT STREET: KING STREET NEWTOWN
    You can get about 20 different nationalities of food on this street, where every 2nd shopfront is a cafe, restaurant or take-away shop. This is where you'll find the whole variety of food to eat, from Spicy Thai, to Vietnamese, Indian, Italian, Lebanese, Greek, Japanese, Nepalese, Chinese etc! And it is mainly inexpensive too. You might want to consider going to the Bank Hotel for a cocktail or beer, then head for the outdoor Thai restaurant downstairs. Alternatively before dinner, go to Kuleto's cocktail bar further down King St. About 6pm they have a happy hour where they offer 2 for 1 cocktails.

• annipooh's Profile Photo

Lillipilli on King, King...

by annipooh Written Aug 26, 2002

Lillipilli on King, King Street, Newton (not the fake one in The Rocks!)
    Specialties of Australian Outback. Traditional bush food with a modern touch! This is the Original Lillipilli, the one in The Rocks is not the real one! If you want real bush food, go check out the Lillipilli on King!!

Favorite Dish: Most of the them are very unique. I have yet to try the rest, but they are really cool items such as kangaroo, emu and crocodile.

• hokeypokey's Profile Photo

??? (Something chinese): ??? (Something chinese)

by hokeypokey Written Aug 25, 2002

May be not unique but it was relly good!! But definitely unique in terms of fun we had.
    (They write spicey to warn you and i guess to make you believe the other dishes wouldn't be hot or spicey at all. But they are!!!) My friend cracked up about the colour of my face turning into deep red and my nose starting to drop...

Favorite Dish: Veggie Chum Sam Me (??? probably not written like this??)

• Gnome's Profile Photo

Thai restaurants in Newtown: Thai restaurants in Newtown

by Gnome Updated Aug 24, 2002

If you are looking for some good value Thai restaurants that are a little more localised, head down to King Street in Newtown. As there are plenty of pubs and bottle shops in the area, stock up on your wine, and make a night of it.

Instant Answers: Sydney