Southern Suburbs Restaurants, Sydney

Garlic Bread

Boyle's: Good Pub Grub

by cjg1 Updated Aug 12, 2013

Sliders & Fries

Boyle's is a local pub in Sutherland a short walk from the train station and our friend Laura's house. My wife and I decided to pob in here for a late lunch/snack before heading into the city to catch our train to Melbourne.

We had been here before for drinks and pub trivia but this was our first experience with their food. The food here is the typical pub grub food; burgers, fish & chips, steak sandwiches and the like. You place your order at the back of the pub through the kitchen window and pay for your meal. When it's ready just pick it up and bring to your table. Drinks are ordered at the bar.

Due to the time of day it wasn't very busy. We were one of three tables occupied. Since this was a late lunch snack my wife wasn't terribly hungry and chose an order of garlic bread. I wanted something more substantial so I had their sliders and chips. The sliders here are actually very good. I was very happy with my food. Liz enjoyed her garlic bread which was a thick cut sourdough bread. This was just what we needed before heading off to catch our train.

This place surprised me food wise and I'll definitely come back here again.

Sushi Train: Great Sushi

by cjg1 Updated May 22, 2013

Sushi Train is a "chain" of sushi restaurants across Australia; they have several locations in the Sydney area. We came to the Sutherland location with our friend Laura for lunch. Judging by the crowd of people in the place and only one empty table; this place must be pretty popular.

We had a seat at theone empty table and took at look at the surroundings. A conveyor belt shuttled differnt dishes around the resturant passing by the tables and counter seats. Each dish had a color code that signified the price and there were descriptive plaques before each item. There was also a menu to order dishes but we chose to ride the "sushi train" and see what they had to offer.

We found several items we wanted: eel rolls, california rolls, dragon rolls, angry dragon rolls, shrimp rolls, edamame and a few others that escape my mind. The food was very tasty and fresh. We all ate until we were full... We then signaled for the server who tallied up our bill and we were off to the cashier.

It was a great lunch and quite easy on the wallet.

Kamari: Incredibly Good Greek Food

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Stuffed Zuccini Blossoms

After spending the morning exploring Botany Bay with Jackie we were in need of some lunch. We stumbled upon this little Greek Place and decided to try it out. We were greeted warmly by our waiter George who immediately fell in love with my wife's New York accent and kept gushing.

George brought us menus and informed us of the specials of the day. We decided to order some Pure Blondes as well as an appetizer of dips to share. After some serious perusing of the menu (everything looked amazing) we made our choices. Liz ordered the stuffed zucchini blossoms; she loves them and makes them at home. Jackie went with the Greek meatballs and I ordered the calamari strips.

The appetizer arrived quickly and was amazing. There were three dips; eggplant, yogurt with herbs and a yogurt with caviar. The dips were so delicious especially the caviar; I could not stop dipping my pita triangles.

Our mains were another Wow. My calamari was so fresh and tender. The breading was light, crispy and perfectly seasoned. Jackie loved her meatballs and those we another Wow. I have to say the winner though was my wife and her zucchini blossoms. After one taste I was amazed. The stuffing was a cheesy herb mixture that was incredibly good. I stole several bites before I got the "look" to back away from her dish.

Service here was incredible and George gets a gold star from us all. This place is a real gem!

Favorite Dish: I loved it all!

The Palms Cafe: Tasty Sunday Brunch

Portobello Mushrooms

Liz and I had brunch at the Palms Cafe with Jackie before heading out to visit Symbio. The Cafe is a small roadside cafe with some tables on the patio and some indoor seating. The place was jamming; it was a weekend. We grabbed a table outside and were handed menus. Jackie and I immediately knew we wanted the breakfast tortilla wrap. Liz decided on the baked Portobello Mushrooms.

A few minutes later our drinks arrived and soon after so did our breakfast. I was quite happy with my choice. The tortilla wrap was a nice large size and filled with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese and tomato jam. It was incredibly good and very filling. Liz loved her mushrooms that were baked with Parmesan cheese and served on a thick slice of sourdough toast. I grabbed a bite and was amazed at the flavors.

This was a delicious and rather cheap breakfast. I was glad Jackie took us to this cafe.

Thy: Good Pad Thai

Waiting for some Thai from Thy

After a night out and about with Laura we were a bit on the hungry side. We decided to stop at Thy for something to eat. This is Laura's favorite Thai place so I knew it had to be good.

The restaurant is a tiny place off of a side street. I probably wouldn't have found it on our own. The menu has the usual Thai dishes and a nice seating area. Laura and I ordered some Pad Thai. Liz skipped on the Thai since she wasn't feeling hungry. Our meal was ready in 10 minutes and packed in nice containers to go.

We headed back to Laura's to enjoy some tasty Thai food that was actually very good and spicy.

Favorite Dish: The Pad Thai was different from what I am accustomed to on the spice level. There were huge red chilies in the Pad Thai that added an extra kick to the flavor.

Montien Tong: Tasty Singapore Noodles

Singapore Noodles

Montien Tong is a small Thai/Asian restaurant. It was recommended to us by several locals so we had to try it for ourselves. The restaurant has a small take away area at the front selling prepared foods for the lunch/dinner crowd. We decided to have a sit down meal and eat inside. The waitress brought us menus along with water. Liz and I decided on some unsweetened ice teas as beverages. My eyes popped out of my head when I saw Singapore Noodles...I had to have them. Liz decided on the Vegetable Fried Rice since she was not terribly hungry.

Our food came rather quickly and were nice sized portions. My noodles were excellent; perfectly cooked and seasoned. I was in heaven with this dish. Liz loved her Vegetable Fried Rice and finished her portion. I did steal a bite or too and it was very good especially the snow peas.

This was a nice meal that did not break the bank at only $18 for the two of us.

• knerten's Profile Photo

Several on Anzac Parade: Indonesian Feast

by knerten Written Aug 8, 2004

Sate

If you're looking for Indonesian food, the best place is Anzac Parade, near the roundabout.
    Mainly frequented by the local Indonesian community and the odd bule like me, it's has to be authentic.
    There are several restaurants catering to different palates, including Palembang fish cake.
    How much you want to spend is up to you, but I went there with 2 other people and we had a BIG feast for 50 dollars.

Favorite Dish: Any, if eaten Indonesian style with your fingers. Some of the restaurants will allow you to do this, but ask first.

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo

Kaos Comedy Restuarant: Comedy Restaurant

by RedEaredPanda Updated Jun 29, 2004

"Kaos" is a really fun place.When you walk in, the staff are dressed up in characters and embarass you like crazy... they seat you with a very loud walk in. After the meal has been served, a show is performed on the stage. I wouldnt recommend it if you have young kids, however its great for Hen's and Buck night. Its a great place to go for a laugh.

Favorite Dish: The meal is set.. The food was not the greatest I have had but it was a soup followed by a meat dish. You are so much into the show that you don't really care how bad the food tastes.

South Beach Seafoods: Superb Seafood

by Sweetberry1 Updated Aug 27, 2003

Seafood Take Away..

This Seafood take away is located right by the Cronulla park mentioned in 'Off the beaten path' tips.
    The seafood is the best I have had in a very long time. Fresh, and prepared just how you like it, while you wait.

Delicious and inexpensive...

Favorite Dish: Calamari, Crumbed Whiting, and fries.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Caruso's Gourmet Pizza & Italian Restaurant: Mmmmmmm PIzza

by CdnJane Written Jul 30, 2003

Seemed to eat a lot of pizza ... dont get it! And none of them were extremely exotic... no croc on them, or roo, or anything like that. It was handy to where I was staying, so, that made it great for a night out without having to drive!

Favorite Dish: I can't remember what it was called... I'd call it here, Hawaiian Pizza - pineapple, ham and lots of cheese. It was a great pizza, good tang to the tomato sauce, and they were certainly not stingy with the cheese. Crust was crisp without being burned. (Man, I think I eat too much pizza if I think along these lines!)

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Sallesi's: Nothing Like Italian food in Aussieland

by CdnJane Updated Jul 30, 2003

I'd lie if I said that I remembered a lot about the restaurant, but it was my first day in Oz after 24 hrs of travel, and leaving from work... so I was more than ready for a proper meal.
    What I do recall was that we had wonderful salads, and the serving was huge. I had, I think, a pasta primavera. I do recall that they did serve beer, but you could bring in your own bottle of wine.

Favorite Dish: I guess it was the primavera pasta... and salad and beer. Like I said, after airline food and being out of synch with time zones and all, it was good to have a well cooked meal.

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

The Pool Cafe Maroubra: The Pool Cafe Maroubra

by SydneyGal Written Aug 25, 2002

This is the place where I fell in love. On a quiet night it can be very romantic. They serve great food here, very innovative and fresh ... but perhaps more a place to go if you are already in the area.

• knerten's Profile Photo

Martabak on Anzac Parade: Indonesian Dessert to top off the feast

by knerten Updated Aug 9, 2004

Martabak

To top off the feast, go for an Indonesian Martabak (thick pancake)

Favorite Dish: Freshly made, various fillings, choclate, banana, peanuts. etc. and best eaten while still warm, 11$ for 4 servings.

Previous Tip: Fish & Chips

by Sweetberry1 Updated Nov 4, 2003

Seafood

The seafood here was delicious.. The whiting was cooked to perfection, and very fresh and tasty.

South Beach Seafoods: Delicious Calamari

by Sweetberry1 Updated Aug 27, 2003

Calamari & Whiting..

The same 'take away' as in previous tip..

Favorite Dish: The Calamari was delicious.. Crumbed and cooked to perfection.

Instant Answers: Sydney