Surry Hills Restaurants, Sydney

4.5 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Bill's: An Okay Breakfast

by cjg1 Updated Dec 5, 2010

I should have know better on this one. For years I had seen Bill's toted as "The Breakfast Place" on food blogs and this trip I decided to check it out. We arrived early for breakfast and the place was not the mob scene I had anticipated which got me worried.

We were seted at a table for two and handed menus. I personally was surprised at how little was on the menu. I decided on some scrambled eggs, toast and bacon. My wife who found very little interest in anything on the menu decided on some toast with jam. I can honestly say the food is okay; not great, nothing to rave about. Yes, it was a let down for sure after all the anticipation but now I have tried it for myself.

Eggs, Toast and Bacon Sourdough Toast with mixed berry jam Gingerale Liz waiting for her breakfast (Nov 2010)

• JohnnoBSCW's Profile Photo

Mohr Fish: Hold in the wall seafood to die for

by JohnnoBSCW Written Jun 16, 2005

Im not sure exactly where this is, but it isnt far from Oxford St in the Darlinghurst area. Its a very small place where you sit either at the counter facing the kitchen or on small tables cramped together. A hold in the wall restaurant basically. But the fish is to die for - perfectly prepared and just out of this world! I had the Rockford - I cant eat fish now as nothing compares.

Favorite Dish: Rockford was great - Oysters were great if your into them - I dont think anything would be bad here.

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Tandoori Rasoi: The best Indian I have eaten!

by alisonr Written Jan 9, 2004

This is an excellent restaurant. The waiting staff are pleasant and polite and attentive.
    The food is delicious! Not too expensive either!

Favorite Dish: I went here three times on my holiday, so I have sampled a bit of the menu!!
    First time we had Chicken Tikka Masala (this was the best ever), Beef Madras, Butter Chicken, Lamp Vindaloo, Green Salad, Garlic Naan, Butter Naan, Cheese Naan, and a desert which was fried cheese but I can't remember the name!

• warney's Profile Photo

Shakespeare Pub: To eat or not to eat

by warney Written Feb 12, 2004

The Shakespeare pub in Surry Hills is a well kept secret - that won't be for much longer! Very well known to the locals, few tourist venture to Surry Hills for some reason and never find the pub!

There are very few places in Sydney where you can get a menu that gives you 8 options for AU$5 and 5 choices for AU$9.50 !

My favourite of all choices was the Steak (big!) for only 5 bucks - you can't go wrong!

Favorite Dish: 300 gram Scotch Chargrill Steak with Mash and Gravy!

You can also order side dishes for 4 bucks that include salads and chips.

You have to order a drink with your meal but they are also very reasonably priced.

I cannot recommend this pub highly enough. You have the choice of eating downstairs under the stars or upstairs, plenty of room but always very popular.

A great place to meet and eat!

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Cucina Marchigiana: Yummy Italian!

by alisonr Written Jan 9, 2004

In a suburb which doesn't seem to have many Italians, this little restaurant was a bit of a surprise. This night was hot, so we sat out the back in their little court yard, which was lovely.

Favorite Dish: Penne Tomato based pasta, lasagne, you gotta have the gelati.

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Peter's Seafood and Cafe Take Away: The best fish and chips in the world!

by alisonr Written Jan 9, 2004

The people we were staying with billed this place as the best fish and chip shop in the world. Now, they didn't know that the town we live in, has about 10 fish and chip shops, and this obviously one of the very few they had been to, because there is no way I can agree with them. Nothing really wrong with it, I just have had better. It was also very pricey when compared to my local shops, but it is Syndey so I guess thats okay

Favorite Dish: They call then Potato Scollops in NSW, potato cakes where I come from.

• Taste Bakery and Restaurant: Something special

by Firez Updated Apr 4, 2011

Before you think I'm the owner, I just live and work in the area and it's something I think others should enjoy.

This place has something very special about it. It's really not your typical cafe/restaurant. They're open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Everything is baked fresh daily, onsite. Bread, baguettes, rolls, croissants, pastries, cakes, pies and more. They have something for everyone with fresh salads, baguettes with a huge range of fillings, a menu that has both warm and cold dishes that include both local and foreign flavours and all this can be enjoyed either takeaway, by sitting inside, or, in the outside courtyard. Or if your after a coffee, they have some of Sydney's best barista's.

If there is one down point, it does get very busy around lunch time during the week.

Favorite Dish: Pad si iu - Thick rice noodle with chicken, vegetables and then their own sauce. (Wont tell me what's in it)

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Surry Hills Restaurants: Surry Hills TOP Restaurants.

by Openseas Updated Oct 8, 2007

Longrain - 21 Elizabeth Street - Thai - 9280 2888*

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• universalgypsy's Profile Photo

Matsuri: Matsuri - Best japanese in Surry Hill!

by universalgypsy Written Jan 14, 2007

I was taken here for lunch ( actually a business meeting) and the food was both fresh and delicious. Portions were generous and nutritious. Prices were very reasonable and I am told we were very lucky to have obtained a table as this place is apparently extremely popular in the area. Service was very prompt and polite and the interior was neither pompous nor too rustic - all in alll very well balanced and focussed on the food as it should be!

Favorite Dish: I had a lunch bento box...standard fare!

• Business Travel

• ToFu Restaurant: Spicy Korean Chinese Tofu

by mle808 Updated Dec 23, 2003

Spicy Korean Chinese Food. Its called the Tofu Restaurant but its not a vegetarian restaurant. Its definitely worth the experience & its only 5 minutes away from Central Station in Sydney

Favorite Dish: A nice dish would be the Dumplings Meal set. In the meal you get a large bowl with soup tofu and dumplings. You also get korean side dishes with variety of 5. Rice is provided and a refreshing bowl of rice water is provided at the end of the meal. all for only $13!

• littleman's Profile Photo

Zushi: Japanese restaurant

by littleman Written Jan 18, 2015

A small, very busy Japanese restaurant on Crown st.This place has a small outdoor and upstairs seating area and also bench seating.The staff are very friendly,polite and helpful.I have dined here many times and found the food is always of a very high standard and I have never seen the standard change.The seafood is fresh and always top quality.I strongly suggest making a reservation if dining here on Friday/Saturday nights.They also have a home delivery service to the nearby area.

Favorite Dish: I always have miso soup and oysters as an entrée and then usually the teriyaki salmon.It is always a quality dish.I can also recommend the honey prawns.

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Toast Cafe: Tasty and Healthy Food Options

by Chinggis_n_Borte Updated Feb 7, 2015

Toast Café is a café restaurant which offers breakfast and lunch menus, and they also do catering.

There are lots of healthy as well as indulgent items on the menus, and they offer dine in and take away options.

They pride themselves on fresh and organic produce, and they also make a lot o condiments on site.

There is a contradiction on their website in that on the left hand side under Opening Hours, it says closed on Sundays, but in the main part of the page, they say they are open 7 days a week for breakfast and lunch. I have never been there on a Sunday so cannot confirm whether they are opened or closed on Sundays.

Favorite Dish: I enjoy the French Toast here, as they serve it with loads of berries, banana and ricotta cheese.

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Hotels Near Surry Hills Restaurants
3.0 out of 5 stars