The Rocks and Circular Quay Restaurants, Sydney

by HispanicYob

La Renaissance: Heavenly Desserts

by LadyRVG Updated Dec 17, 2013

Raspeberry Sponge Cake

La Renaissance is a heavenly bakery/cafe that is nestled in the Rocks. It specializes in French desserts and pastry. I am a lover of sweets; especially dessets so this is my idea of heaven.

Upon entering; the display case is full of tantalizing pastry, cakes and desserts in a rainbow of colors, shapes and sizes. Some of the pastry is so artfully decorated it seemed a sin to eat them and not frame them. There is a large selection of individual desserts and treats as well as full sized cakes and pies. They also make the most incredible Macarons that rival those found in Paris. They come in a rainbow of assorted flavors; my favorites are the salted caramel and the Rose. They're sold individually and can be boxed up for take home or as gifts.

The shop itself is quite small with a simple counter and large display case. In the back is a nice courtyard with tables to sit and enjoy your treats. Chris and I enjoyed many a dessert while relaxing in this lovely little courtyard.

If you are a lover of sweet treats and desserts this is the place to forget the calorie count and indulge in something sinful yet heavenly.

Favorite Dish: I am an admitted Crème Brulee addict. Several times during our trips we have come here and I indulged in their excellent Crème Brulee. It is served in a small round Ramekin with the perfect amount of carmelized sugar on top. The custard was perfectly cooked and creamy smooth. Chris has enjoyed the Meringue and The Raspberry Sponge Cake.

The macarons are incredible and we often stop here for some to take home or to nibble during our day. The Salted caramel and rose are my favorites.

• Singles

• Sydney Dance Lounge: Dont Miss The Heritage Bulding and Great Drinks!

by rar25 Written Jul 9, 2013

The atmosphere in Sydney Dance Lounge was buzzing with plenty of diners sitting in as well as dancers walking past to get to their classes. Set in a really cool heritage building with great hard wood floors and high ceilings. Located underneath the Theatre Company and Dance Company they embrace the arts culture, projecting nice old Fred Astaire movies mixed in with some video of the current Dance Company troupe.

We were promptly greeted and told that unfortunately there were no tables available for dinner, however the waiter was friendly and offered us a seat in the lounge/outside or bar area. We chose to sit at the bar where we were greeted by a lovely Italian man, being from America we really appreciated the option to sit at the bar and it was especially great to have such attentive and knowledgeable service (which we were told doesn't exist in Australia). My wife tried the BBQ Prawns with Rissotto, I had the Lamb Shoulder. Both Dishes were quite nice, the lamb was presented really nicely in an oven pot on a chopping board with lebanese bread however the BBQ prawns were the stand out! With our meal we had a great bottle of Australian Shiraz, it was nice to see they had an Nappa wine on the list too though!

After dinner, I enjoyed a great old fashioned from the bar tender who informed me he had previously worked in Washington D.C, and my wife enjoyed a great whiskey sour. All in all we had a great experience for our night, sitting at the bar was a delight and we will be coming back!

Royal Coppenhagen: Ice Cream

by LadyRVG Updated Jun 12, 2013

Chris & his Boysenberry Ripple ice cream

Royal Coppenhagen is a chain of ice cream stores that can be found throughout Sydney. They carry the usual ice cream flavors as well as some exotics in cups or cones.

We usually frequent the Lindt Cafe's for our Ice Cream but Hubby has a fondness for their Boysenberry Ripple ice cream; so at least once during every trip to Sydney we stop here for a cone for him. Their ice cream is very good and creamy. I have had their chocolate and found it to be very good.

The Orient Hotel: Good Pub Grub

by cjg1 Updated Jan 25, 2013

Enjoying my beer at the Orient(March 2010)

The Orient Hotel is one of our favorite pubs in the Rocks. They have a nice selection of beer, wine and mixed drinks as well as food. The pub has a brasserie upstairs as well as a Bier Garden. We prefer the casual atmosphere of the pub and have enjoyed spending time here enjoying a few pints.

The food in the pub is typical pub grub and rather inexpensive with many items priced at $10. We usually order just a snack to go with our beer and the chili potato wedges do the trick. They are thick potato wedges covered in chili sauce and sour cream. They are very tasty and a perfect snack.

Favorite Dish: Our last visit here was during our Nov/Decmebre 2012 trip. We just wanted a snack and some drinks. We decided to split a bowl of chips; which are very good here, nice and crisp. I had a beer and Liz had some of their house bubbles.

Amoroma: Good Pizza in the Rocks

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 2, 2012

Deliciously Good Pizza

Amorama is a restaurant located in the Rocks that specializes in Italian fare and pizza. The place is located on George Street by the Nurses Walk; so a bit off the main tourist area. Hubby and I had walked by this place many times before finally checking it out in February 2010; it was well worth it. We enjoyed our food here so much we returned again in November 2010 and February 2012.

The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating. Their outdoor seating is comprised of some small umbrella laden tables; I prefer to sit here if the weather is not too hot. The menu consists of typical Italian dishes: pizza, pasta, appetizers, salads, Panini and desserts. Hubby and I have only experienced their Margherita pizza; it is that good that we have always ordered it.

I adore a good pizza and sometimes it really is hard to find one that I think is up to snuff. Amorama truly makes an excellent pizza. The crust is thin and crispy with just the right touch of tomato base. The mozzarella is creamy, fresh and so very good. They add just the right amount of basil to compliment the cheese and sauce. I am getting hungry just remembering it…

Service here has always been friendly and attentive; even when it is busy. The atmosphere is casual and inviting; perfect for a meal with friends or a bite to eat with that special someone.

Favorite Dish: Pizza here is very good; think crust and fresh ingredients.

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

The Orient Hotel at the Rocks Pub: Orient Pub

by HispanicYob Updated Sep 13, 2012

Roo Burger

I was working up a mad appetite trying to find something to eat! I was walking around Circular Quay almost all day. Believe it or not, sometimes it's hard to find a place to eat in Sydney! Grr....so I walked around the Rocks until I found this little gem. It was a Monday, and it turns out Monday's they have $10 (AUD) specials on bar food! There's quite a selection, too! They have a different special every day of the week. So pop in and try! It's closest to cheap as you'll get. Eating out is really expensive in Sydney.

Favorite Dish: I had to have me a Roo Burger while I was here. It wasn't bad. Kind of like steak in a way. It came with something called rocket, which I'm not to sure what it was, but it was a purple paste that made the burger taste a little sweet. Interesting concoction.

Lowenbrau Keller: That's a Mighty Big Beer

by LadyRVG Updated May 17, 2012

Chris and I having a fun time (2010)

The Löwenbräu Keller is Sydney's is a popular Bavarian restaurant in Sydney. The inside of the restaurant has a beer hall atmosphere with waitresses and waiters in traditional Bavarian attire. The big drawn here of course is the beer and in very large quantities I may add. The food menus has some typical entrees such as sausage, pretzels, snitzel and bkack forest cake. The beer selection ranges from light crisp beers to dark amber colored beer. The beer here is a bit more expensive than the average Sydney pub but it's mainly due to this place being a "tourist" draw. So if you don't mide a it of a crowd and paying a bit more for a beer, check out the Lowenbrau Keller.

This place seems to always be hopping with activity. Every time Chris and I come here the inside and outside was full of people. We usually prefer nice table in the bar area but have sat outside during cooler weather. I usually order one of their smaller beers along with some of their warm pretzels. Our last visit here in March 2012 was with our friend Gavin. It was his first time to Lowenbrau and was very happy to enjoy one of their "Big" beers. It was a fun time sitting outdoors drinking and having a snack.

Favorite Dish: I'm not a big beer drinker but I do enjoy having at least one beer here. The beer is very cold and crisp; perfect for combating the usually warm Sydney weather. The pretzels hereare very good; soft and warm with just the right amount of salt.

• Beer Tasting

Heritage Belgian Bier Cafe: My Favorite Mussels in Sydney

by LadyRVG Updated Apr 9, 2012

My favorite Mussels

The Heritage Belgian Bier Cafe is one of my favorite places in the Rocks to grab a meal. I love the atmosphere, the food and the wonderful selection of Belgian Beer.

The restaurant is a large space with high ceilings that give it an airy feel even when the place is jam packed for the dinner rush. Several dining areas with booths and tables are spread throughout so you don't feal as if you a crammed together with other diners. The bar area is always a lively spot with plenty of bar stools to accomodate thirsty patrons.

The menu has a wonderful selection of food especially Mussels prepared in several ways. Of course I love my mussels and always order them when I'm here; they are so delicious. My Husband is a fan of their Kangaroo loin which I will pass on since I love those furry creatures. The South Australian Squid is a favorite appetizer of ours; crispy with a lime aioli dipping sauce.

If you are a Belgian Beer lover as I am; you will love this place. They have an incredible selection and I can always find some of my favorites: Leffe Blonde, Stella Artois, La Guillotine, Chimay, Orval and Titje. Pair one of these with their mussels and perfection is assured.

Our last visit to the Bier Cafe was for lunch. We decided to take advantage of their lunch specials that came with a pitcher of Stella Artois for each entree. I ordered the Mussels a l'Escargot; which are my favorite. The mussels are served on the half shell; grilled with butter and garlic. The sauce is so incredible that I always dip my frites into it. My husband chose his favorite: Chargrilled Kangaroo Loin. We started with an appetizer of their crispy South Australian Squid which is incredibly good and cooked to perfection.

The food here is always delicious and the service is always very friendly. I always look forward to enjoying a meal here either with my hubby or with some of our Sydney friends. It's always a great time.

**Booking are a good idea especially for dinner; this is a popular spot.**

Favorite Dish: Mussels a l'Escargot are my all time favorite here. The mussels themselves are so sweet. The butter and garlic sauce is divine especially when dipping some bread or a frite. I often have to fight off my husband from eating all the sauce from my mussels.

Italian Village: The Food and the View...Incredible

by LadyRVG Written Feb 13, 2012

After reading a review of this restaurant; my husband and I decided to check it out for ourselves. After a walk in the Rocks we wandered over to the restaurant to take a look at the posted menu. Both of us liked what we saw; especially their pasta night on Wednesdays for $28 per person. We decided to come back on Wednesday for a nice dinner.

We arrived about a half hour after dinner service began and inquired about a table. Despite our lack of reservation the hostess found us a lovely table for two on their outdoor patio with wonderful harbour views. It too me some time to decide on an entree; everything sounded so delicious. As I mulled over my choices we decided on a bottle of Tasmanian Sauvignon Blanc for the table. As one of the waiters arrived with our wine ; I was ready to order. I chose the gnocchi in a brown butter sage sauce with pignoli nuts..Yum! Hubby chose the gnocchi as well but with a mushroom sauce.

Our waitress brought over warm bread and butter for us to snack on while we waited for our entrees. The bread was warm and fresh; the butter was sweet and creamy melting on the bread (God I love bread). I was very happy with our wine selection; it was crisp and delicious.
    As we sat at the table we watched the sun set in the sky with some incredible colors and the moon rise white and gloqing over the harbour. Wow...the view was spectacular and definitely set the romantic tone.

I was so busy enjoying the view that I barely noticed the arrival of our pasta. From the first bite I was in love with my meal. The gnocchi were so fresh and tender; perfect little pillows in a delicous sauce. I'm rather picky when it comes to my pasta; gnocchi in particular and these were divine. The sauce was perfect; smooth, creamy and seasoned just right. The added crunch and nuttiness of the pignoli finished off the dish spendidly. Hubby loved his gnocchi as well; fully enjoying the mushrooms (a favorite of his).

After such an incredible meal; there was no room for dessert sadly. We left fully satisfied and happy with the food, service and overall ambience of the restaurant.

• elhombre30's Profile Photo

Pancake on the Rocks: Must try the best ever pancakes

by elhombre30 Updated Oct 17, 2011

Pancakes on the Rocks

Pancake at the Rocks is located in the hear of Rock Precinct. Perfect choice for an afternoon tea after taking a walk around the rocks, circular quay and Sydney Central Business District. This is widely recommended as must try restaurant in Sydney

Their pancakes are awesome! It was a variety of different toppings and fillings. From vanilla, chocolates, strawberry to unknown flavor - to banana and apple and so many fruit flavouring - to ice cream toppings. There were several name of pancakes which I never heard of. They put plenty of different toppings which I believe they are know for. But these pancakes are absolutely fantastic.

They also serve famous tender beef steaks, also guaranteed one of the best steaks in the area.

But that afternoon, we have to fall in line and wait for our turn for there were plenty of customers. I don't know if they accept reservations but the place was I think small enough to accommodate such number of customers. We waited I think almost half an hour or more until we finally got a seat. That's how busy the restaurant is.

Favorite Dish: Several options of delicious pancakes. It was perfectly baked and guaranteed "delicioso"! Choose either strawberry filled or chocolate chestnuts toppings which are one of the best sellers.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Gumnut Tea Garden: Cute historic cafe

by colin_bramso Updated Sep 10, 2011

Cosy rooms

Get a feel for part of Sydney's history in The Rocks, where the first white settlement was. The Gumnut Tea Garden is in one of the small historic convict-built sandstone cottages with cosy rooms and a very nice outdoor courtyard. Once you're inside or in the garden you feel as though you're in a little village in the countryside, not in the centre of a bustling city.

It's a great place for breakfast. Coffee is good, service can be excellent or non-existant!

Open from 8am to 5pm Saturday through Tuesday, until 9pm Wednesday to Friday. Live jazz Friday evening & Sunday afternoon.

Favorite Dish: They do a particularly good breakfast of scrambled eggs with smoked salmon.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

The Vintage Cafe on The Rocks: For breakfast & lunch

by colin_bramso Updated Sep 10, 2011

A great way to start the day

The Vintage Cafe on The Rocks is a cute little place tucked away in one of the narrow old alleyways in The Rocks. Open for breakfast and light lunches, from 8.30am to about 3pm.

You're in the oldest part of the city, away from the traffic in a real oasis of relaxation.

Favorite Dish: They prepare a superb scrambled eggs with smoked salmon breakfast. The coffee is also excellent, so it's a great way to ease yourself into the day!

Italian Village: Delicious Gnocchi and a Beautiful View

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Liz's gnocchi in a brown butter sauce with sage

Italian Village is a restaurant I would have usually walked right by. Liz had read a review of the restaurant and liked the look of a particular item on the menu. We decide to go on a Wednesday night which was their Pasta Special Night. For $28 a person you can select a pasta dish from their pasta menu; what a bargain. We didn't have a reservation but they were able to seat us at a nice outdoor table for two with incredible views of the bridge and Opera House.

We were handed the menu and wine list to look over. We decide to order a Bottle of Tasmanian Sauvignon Blanc to accompany our meal. Liz decided to try the gnocchi with brown butter sauce, sage and pignoli nuts. I decided on the gnocchi with mushrooms.

The head water brought our wine and some water to the table. The wine was excellent; nice and crisp. The waitress brought fresh warm bread with herbed butter to the table. The butter was incredible on the fresh warm bread. Shortly after our pasta arrived to the table. Wow! It was incredibly good and fresh. Liz was in heaven with her pasta and declared it the best gnocchi dish she had had in Sydney.

We had an excellent time here enjoying our meal, drinking wine and watching the sunset over the harbor. The views here are spectacular and perfect for a romantic dinner. I was happy that we came here and enjoyed such a wonderful meal in a beautiful setting.

Favorite Dish: The gnocchi with mushrooms was excellent. The pasta was very fresh and the sauce was very creamy. The gnocchi were light; not heavy and perfectly cooked. The mushrooms were flavorful and delicious. The bread was very good, warm, crunchy yet soft. The herb butter was perfect to melt on the bread.

• Wine Tasting

Baroque: Incredible Food

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Liz and her Bellini

Wow! This place was incredible; one of my favorites in Sydney. Liz found this place on line before we came to Sydney. She read that the owners of our favorite patisserie La Renaissance had opened a restaurant. The restaurant is located in the Rocks on George Street. There is an outdoor patio to enjoy drinks and food as well as a large dining room inside.

The food here is French Bistro style. The menu has a long list of appetizers, salads, beef, fish, chicken, lamb and pork. There are also daily specials written on a blackboard in the main dining room. It is very hard to choose an entree since everything looks incredible.

We didn't make a reservation but it was no problem for the hostess to get us a nice table for two. Our waitress handed us menus and we ordered some drinks. I had a beer and Liz ordered a Bellini. Fresh bread with olive oil was brought to the table and we placed our order. Liz chose the beef tenderloin in a peppercorn sauce and I ordered the comfit of lamb with pomme frites. The service was attentive yet not overbearing and our food came to the table quickly and very hot. From the first bite it was "WOW". The lamb was excellent and seasoned perfectly. The pomme frites were crispy with a nice touch of sea salt. Liz loved her tenderloin. It was a nice pink medium just the way she likes it and the sauce was very nice (I dipped several of my frites in the sauce).

The meal was very filling and unfortunately there was no room for dessert; we instead decided for take some of their delicious macaroons home with us. We picked some strawberry, Jasmine and Rose macaroons.

This was an incredible meal with terrific service. I will definitely return here again for a meal.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Lowenbrau Keller: German restaurant at Circular Quay

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 23, 2011

Enjoying my Spatan

After walking around the Rocks we needed some refreshments, more like a beer so we decided to stop here. According to many sources The Löwenbräu Keller is Sydney's best known, most authentic German restaurant so expect to find German dishes and beers.

As we were having dinner in another location, we decided to skip on the food and have a few glasses of Spatan, a nice crisp German beer.

There are some family style benches and tables located outside of the restaurant. We decided we wanted to enjoy some people watching with our beers and sat outside.

They offer Bavarian cooking with traditional dishes and beers in a typical Bavarian atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: We each had a Spatan which was on the pricey side. Note that because of its popularity the prices are on the overpriced side.

• Beer Tasting