The Rocks and Circular Quay Restaurants, Sydney

Roo Burger
    by HispanicYob

Amoroma: Delicious Pizza

Perfectly Thin and Crispy Pizza

Amorama is an Italian restaurant in the Rocks. During our February 2010 trip we were sitting next door at the pub watching the food being served on the restaurants patio. The temptation of the food was too great and Liz and I decided to walk over for a snack. The restaurant is a nice size with both indoor and outdoor seating. The menu has the usual Italian fare of pizza, pasta, appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts.

We were seated at a nice table for two outside and handed menus. The weather was nice and sunny with a hint of breeze; perfect al fresco dining weather. After perusing the menu for a light option for a snack; we decided to split a Margarita pizza. We also ordered some sparkling water.

Our pizza arrived rather quickly and smelled incredible. The pizza was perfectly thin and crispy with bubbling cheese and fresh tomato sauce. The first bite of pizza was heaven with the delicious flavors of tomato, basic along with the creamy cheese. Needless to say we finished the entire pizza....it was filling but not heavy in our stomachs. It was a perfect portion to share and made for a nice snack after some drinks at the bar.

We enjoyed this place so much that we returned in November 2010 for some more of their tasty pizza

Favorite Dish: The Margarita pizza is excellent. The crust was thin and crispy just how I like it. The cheese was fresh and creamy. the tomato sauce was very good and fresh. The sprinkling of basil was just the right amount and not too overpowering.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

The Vintage Cafe: Good Lunch Grub

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Liz waiting for her meal (November 2010)

The Vintage Cafe is a small restaurant tucked into the Rocks. We decided to grab some lunch here before catching a ferry at Circular Quay. We climbed the stairs of their outdoor patio and asked for a table for two inside out of the sun.

As soon as we were seated I knew I liked the vibe of the place. It was small yet comfortable with a casual air to it. The menu here has a mix of pizza, pasta, chicken, beef, seafood and salads. After perusing the menu we both decided to have some pizza; the Margherita for Liz and the Chorizo for me. I decided to have a beer and Liz had a mint iced tea.

Our food arrived rather quickly and with a friendly smile from our waitress. Both of our pizzas came with a side salad which was quite nice. The pizza was very tasty but the crust was a bit on the thick side for my liking. The chorizo though was the perfect amount of spice.

I have to say this was a very enjoyable meal and I loved the Samba music piped into the restaurant.

Belgian Bier Cafe: Good Belgian Beer and Good Food

Steak Frites in Peppercorn Sauce

The Belgian Bier Cafe was a place my wife wanted to try as soon as she heard about it. We decided to meet up with our friend Jackie for a nice dinner and some Belgian beer. The place is pretty popular and fortunately we managed to get a table despite not having a booking.

We were seated at a nice table in the main dining room with a view of their large bar area (which happened to be packed to the gills). As we were handed beer and food menus I saw my wife's eyes glaze over at the huge selection of beer. My wife is a huge Belgian beer fan and was thrilled to find many of her favorites on the menu especially Orval. The food menu had a great selection of local specialties such as kangaroo and a nice assortment of meat, fish and poultry items.

We began by ordering drinks. My wife ordered her Orval, I chose a Leffe Blonde and Jackie chose a Chimay Bleu. After perusing the extensive menu we decided on entrees. I decided to have the Steak Frittes in a green peppercorn sauce. My wife chose her favorite: Mussels A l'Escargot. Jackie went with the Kangaroo Loin.

Our food arrived rather quickly and were large portions. My steak was cooked perfectly and I loved the frites. I had a bite of Jackie's Kangaroo and found the meat rather good much to my wife's horror (she doesn't eat things she has fed or petted such as the kangaroo). Liz loved her mussels and savored every bite.

After such a fantastic and filling meal there was simply no room for dessert. I was very impressed by the food here and the attentive service. I will definitely come here again for a meal and especially for drinks.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Boulders On The Rocks: A neat little restaurant with a great reputation.

by Jerelis Updated Apr 4, 2011

Beautiful inside of the restaurant.

In the historic Rocks district we found this little restaurant. Boulders On The Rocks had a great name in the area and therefore we entered this special dining experience. This neat little restaurant is located in a small Victorian hotel, The Russell.

The interior of this heritage-listed building has been beautifully restored and offers diners an interesting contrast to the Modern Australian cuisine on offer.

Favorite Dish: The compact menu offers seasonally available produce. The menu has a native Australian,Asian and Mediterranean accent.

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

Claude's Kitchen: Incredibly Good Pub Grub

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Liz and her Salt & Pepper Squid

Claude's Kitchen is located at the back of the observer Hotel. It has it's own separate entrance and courtyard dining. It is also accessible through the Observer Hotel. the menu has typical pub grub items such as burgers and fish and chips but also has whole fish and beef specials.

Liz and I grabbed a few meals and snacks at Claude's during our visit. Liz loved their Salt & Pepper Squid with Chips. I enjoyed their Argentina Burger and Fish & Chips. The food here is very fresh and made to order. It is amazing food for reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: The Fish & Chips were excellent; perfectly crispy and fresh tasting. I liked my Argentina Burger but it made me miss Buenos Aires. Liz lived her Salt & Pepper Squid and I must admit it was tasty with just the right amount of seasoning and a light, crispy crust.

La Renaissance: Great Desserts

by cjg1 Updated Jul 22, 2010

Liz enjoying her creme brulee (October 15, 2007)

Now this is a place I honestly can’t believe I hadn’t been to before until our 2007 trip. A simple little pastry shop with a shared court yard in the back that is actually quite spacious you will find yourself enjoying life quite nicely when you visit.

As you enter this narrow little shop you see the display case and attendants on the left. And this is where you’re fun begins. They have such a great variety of extremely tasty treats I am sure you’ll find something you’ll love. Cakes, pies, pastry, macaroons, cookies and assorted sweets are all displayed in the case just waiting to be tasted. They also have a nice variety of warm and cold beverages to accompany your dessert,

This place has been a must for our trips to Sydney and we have enjoyed several of their fabulous desserts during our stays.

Favorite Dish: The desserts here are excellent but I do have my favorites: Larme de Gaugin and the Fraisier. The Gaugin cake is so colorful it just draws me in every time. The cake is tear shaped with a light berry mousse on top of an almond sponge cake topped with mixed berries. The Fraiser cake is a tasty vanilla sponge cake soaked with strawberry liquor, a creamy mouse and strawberries are in between the layers of cake. I live the freshness of the strawberries and the creamy mousse.

My wife enjoys their merignues, creme brulee and creme caramel. The creme brulee is very creamy and quite nice. The merignue is not to my liking being too sweet. The creme caramel was nice; almost flan like in consistency.

Lowenbrau Keller: Lowenbrau Keller

by cjg1 Updated Jun 16, 2010

Liz & I (March 2010)

This is one of the few places I have been to every time I come to town. Yes, it is a big "tourist" spot but even locals are drawn here for food and drinks. I love the atmosphere and the liters of Spaten. Located right next to the Rocks Sydney Visitor’s Center on Argyle Street it’s just a place I always find myself for at least a few beers per trip.

I must admit it doesn’t get to be much more than one or two though as its only a liter and they charge $19. You can get the same amount of beer just down the street for $12 to $14. And that adds up quick. So I go and enjoy one or two and then move on.

The nice thing here is that they do have a large our-door seating area with bench tables and also individual tables and then inside a couple large rooms. So the atmosphere will be one where you can easily relax. In fact I would say this is one of my favorites to hit when in Sydney.

Favorite Dish: The beer is always good. I enjoy a nice liter of Spaten while Liz has pretzels with her beer. The pretzels here are quite nice; warm and soft with the right amount of salt.

• Beer Tasting

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Grand Hyatt Bar: Dinner with an Amazing View

by Callavetta Written May 16, 2010

The Hyatt from the ferry another day

We chose the Hyatt Bar because we knew that it would have an amazing view and we were right. Our table was right next to where a window had been if there was one. The open air bar looked across the harbor at the lit up Opera House. Down the quai was the beautiful lit up Customs House and the shops and restaurants, sparkling in the night time and reflected in the harbor. Boats came and went adding to the ambiance.

We also really enjoyed our meal. I had soft shelled crab wraps and duck fat fries. We enjoyed a great Spanish Tempranillo while we feasted our eyes and our stomachs.

• silly659's Profile Photo

Pancakes on the Rocks: Yummmy Pancakes get there early!

by silly659 Written Apr 23, 2010

It's a restaurant with a range of food - from chicken, pizza, crepes to OF COURSE Pancakes which is what they are known for. It's a good place for lunch if you're with a group of people, someone can always find somethign. There were lots of young people there the night we went, definitely not quiet. It's looks like its in a warehouse. I honestly was expecting much more, I didn't think it was anythign above average. My husband got chicken while I got the pancakes and I was not impressed. They were not as fluffy as I like but they were okay. OVerall an average experience, I probably woudn't go again, I rather try some more botique cafe for breakfast.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Quay: Excellent views, great food, trendy !!!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Apr 3, 2010

What a view !!!!

This is a must for the trendy and high end crowds.....Located on the 3rd floor in The Overseas Pasenger Terminal in Circular Quay above Doyles restaurant....Quay has everything a perfect night is suppose to be about.....but be warned the prices are extremely high for this place.......and the portions are small considering the prices the plates go for......most of the tables face the world famous Sydney opera house and look down at the numberous ferries going and coming into Circular Quay. The menu is simple but yet elegant in it's explantion of dishes. The wine list is long and pricey...and the desserts are to die for but again pricey !!! $20 AU for dessert, I thought it was just a bit too high and when our bill came....well let's say...we ate at some other places (see my other tips) for about half the price......but the food here was awesome to say the least !!!! If you could pluck down $300 AU for dinner .....DO IT !!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT....but if you can't then there is no need coming close to this place !!!! If this place was a bit cheaper...it would be PERFECT !!!! so I would give it an 8 out of 10...and mostly because of the cost !!!!! otherwise PERFECT SERVICE, PERFECT LOCATION, PERFECT FOOD !!!!!

Favorite Dish: Pan seared cod fish, with scallops, grilled octopus $47 AU a plate !!!!! but boy it's the best cod fish I have ever tasted !!!!

• Luxury Travel

Pancakes on the Rocks: Pancakes on the Rocks

by cjg1 Updated Mar 26, 2010

Strawberry Patch Pancakes

Pancakes on the Rocks is one of those love it or hate it places. It’s a simple enough place that could pass as a diner in most places. But food is quite good here. Granted I’ve only tried the pancakes. Although on the menu I just can’t see ordering lunch and dinner food at a place call Pancakes on the Rocks. The menu here has a large selection of specialty pancakes as well as regular pancakes. They also have omlettes, burgers, sandwiches, milk shakes and other entrees. I think if you come here Pancakes should be the choice.....

We first visited Pancakes on the Rocks during our October 2007 trip. We loved both times we ate here and couldn't wait to return during our 2010 trip. The place is quite large with two levels of seating. The service here has always been excellent and the pancakes are out of this world good. Liz and I are big breakfast people and love good pancakes. It is always hard to decide which pancakes to order but I have my favorites: The Strawberry Patch, The Bananarama and the Black Forest Pancakes. Liz enjoys the Cinnamon Sugar Apple Struessel and the plain stack of pancakes. They make a good hot choclate and milkshake as well.

I think if you are a breakfast or pancake fan this is a must when you visit Sydney.

Favorite Dish: We have been here several times during our 2007 and 2010 trips. I love their Strawberry Patch. It is two buttermilk pancakes covered in strawberries, cream and vanilla ice cream. The Bananarama is two buttermilk pancakes with grilled bananas around it topped with the cream and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The Black Forest Pancakes are two chcolate pancakes with cherries in a brandy sauce. Cream, chocolate ice cream and chocolate chips are on top of the stack. Wow, they are all so incredible I have a hard time deciding which is my favorite.

My wife love sthe Cinnamon Sugar Apple Streussel pancakes. The Cinnamon Sugar Apple Struessel pancakes are two buttermilk pancakes covered in cinnamon sugar with apples around it topped in the cream and ice cream.

The times we were out of here for under $30, which is not bad for a sit down breakfast in Sydney. Especially one of this quality.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Pancakes on the Rocks: Yummy Pancakes!

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 21, 2009

Cinnamon Sugar Apple Struessel Pancakes!

Before we even got to Sydney I knew I had to come here. I had hear rave reviews about the pancakes from my friend Barbara who had just visited six months prior. Pancakes in the Rocks is tucked away in the Rocks but not difficult to find. The restaurant itself is large with two levels of seating. The menu is full of all types of pancakes and breakfast items. The list of pancakes alone is outstanding and there is something for every palate. The pancakes here are incredible and I could eat here morning, noon and night. We ate here twice during our trip; once for my Birthday Breakfast. The service here is on the spot and the staff is very friendly. Pankcakes in the Rocks is a definite must for people who enjoy a good breakfast and love Pancakes.

Favorite Dish: Our first visit here I ordered the Cinnamon Sugar Apple Streussel Pancakes. Two fluffy butermilk pancakes are dusted with cinnamon sugar, topped with a sweet cream, vanilla ice cream and cinnamon apples. Real maple syrup is served in a container on the side. The pancakes are delicious; perfect and fluffy. The cinnamon sugar with the sweet cream and ice cream was a delicious treat that went perfectly with the warm cinnamon apples. Chris orderd the Strawberry Patch which was two buttermilk pancakes topped with strawberry sauce, sliced strawberry, sweet cream and vanilla ice cream. Needless to say ; Chris was in heaven with his breakfast.

Our second visit here was for my Birthday Breakfast. I always enjoy a good breakfast in my birthday and pancakes are my favorite. I decided to have the regualr oancakes. They were two buttermilk pancakes topped with powdered sugar, sweetcream and vanilla ice cream. They were incredibly good. I had a yummy hot chocolate as well that was so rich and tasty. Chris decided to have the Banarama. It was two pancakes topped with sweet cream, ice cream, butterscotch sauce and cooked bananas. He went "Bananas" over his breakfast and finshed the whole plate.

The food here is incredibly good and I like that they serve "real" Maple Syrup; not the sticky immitation stuff that looks like glue.

• Singles

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Caminetto: Italiano & Pizzeria

by clueless83 Updated Mar 28, 2009

Caminetto is situated at The Rocks and is fairly tucked away. We sat outside in the courtyard. It had a lovely atmosphere, quite romantic. There were also some musicians that played for a while which gave a nice ambience even though I was dreading that they might come up to our table for a request (they didn't much to my relief!).

We didn't have to wait long for our food but we only ordered a pizza to share.

Favorite Dish: We ordered the Americana which was hot hot hot (a little too hot for my tastebuds!). I'd eat here again but I'd order something different.

• Advnt's Profile Photo

Cafe Sydney: Sydney Harbour Bridge with Your Dinner

by Advnt Written Nov 18, 2008

Zucchini flowers stuffed with cheese - YUM

Cafe Sydney stands out in both its location and its food. On the top floor of Custom House at Circular Quay, this restaurant has a spectacular view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Often restaurants at good locations can sometimes falter on the food, but this was not the case at Cafe Sydney. Food and service were both excellent. The wait staff were extremely polite and very knowledgeable. I came here with 4 good friends for a reunion dinner and it made the evening incredibly memorable and special.

Favorite Dish: A simple entree, the zucchini flowers stuffed with cheese and lightly deep fried was served with a beetroot salad with light vinaigrette was delicious. My spatchcock main was flavoursome and not too dry but it was the dessert, the banana and hazelnut parfait that knocked my socks off.

• Advnt's Profile Photo