The Rocks and Circular Quay Restaurants, Sydney

by HispanicYob
  • Larnie's Profile Photo

Lowenbrau Keller: Oom Pah Pah

by Larnie Written May 8, 2005

The Löwenbräu Keller is Sydney’s best known, authentic German restaurant. They offer Bavarian cooking with traditional dishes in a typical Bavarian atmosphere. Here, the emphasis is on enjoying the cuisine as well as pure Bavarian fun.
    It is home to the only location in Australia that offers Löwenbrau Original on tap.
    Like being at Oktoberfest, only you are in The Rocks in Sydney.
    Be prepared to act silly and have a great night!!

Favorite Dish: The Pork Belly - a big chunk of hot pork, wrapped in crispy crackling.
    Also the Chicken Schnitzel Caeser Salad.
    And the beers....all of them :o)

• Quero's Profile Photo

The Rocks and Circular Quay Restaurants: Campbell's Storehouses

by Quero Updated Nov 26, 2004

There is a whole row of restaurants and shops at Campbell's Storehouses on the waterfront at The Rocks. The restoration of this wharfside complex of former warehouses has gentrified what was once a shipping and receiving center for a merchant named (guess!) Campbell.

As you would expect from a waterfront facility, there are a bunch of places to eat there. Don't expect any of them to be cheap, though... even a sandwich anywhere on the Circular Quay is pricey.

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Pancakes on the Rocks: Yummy pancakes

by Mairo21 Updated May 10, 2005

Me and my traveling buddy found out about this place from our Bridgeclimb guide. She said that she and her co-workers would come and eat here all the time after they were done with a hard days work. She made the pancakes sound so yummy , that we immediately set out to find the place .
    It is very affordable, a nice quiet atmosphere. We were there for the well known pancakes, but everything on the menu was appealing. Quite tricky to find because it is located in a building that has a lot of shops.

Favorite Dish: Warm pancakes smothered with strawberry syrup,topped with vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries. The pizzas looked good too.

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Caminetto: Recommended by Mario ...

by Tripack Updated Aug 12, 2005

A nice Italian restaurant in the Rocks, choose if possible the terrace to enjoy your meal.

Efficient service, reasonnable price and quite good quality. Do not forget to order the traditionnal Grappa... Salute!

Favorite Dish: Mamma mia! Do not ask just eat! Pizzas, Pastas and Chef Specials of course...

• leffe3's Profile Photo

The Sydney Cafe: Room With A View - Cafe Sydney

by leffe3 Updated Sep 4, 2003

Fusion menu extraordinaire atop the old 19th century Customs Building. 'Cafe' it ain't - this is a seriously slick and stylish restaurant with a very large semi-open balcony with fantastic views over Sydney Harbour.

Its deeply stylish - cherry wood, crisp white linen, fab wine list, great fusion menu.

Favorite Dish: Oysters a plenty, seafood, tandoori kangaroo (?!), prawn and white fish sausage...The whole menu is imaginative, although if some of the selctions sound a bit too outlandish (and some certainly are -:)), you can always fall back on the slightly safer seared tuna, beef fillet etc...But cheap it ain't!

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Sailor's Thai: Thai on the Rocks - 'Sailor's Thai'

by leffe3 Updated Nov 25, 2003

One of the great exponents of Thai cuisine, David Thompson, is the owner of this restaurant housed in the historic seaman's hostel down on the Rocks.
    Two options of dining - the upstairs communal 'canteen' with Bangkok 'hawker's' style food (but as this is The Rocks don;t expect Bangkok prices - although this option is cheaper than the restaurant downstairs). Downstairs is superb Royal Thai cuisine, and while you are going to pay for it, the delights of the menu make it worthwhile (at least occasionally!!).
    Housed within this 19th century building, the environment downstairs is very plain - not a buddha or embroidered Thai silk in sight. A few tables, extremely high-ceilings, unadourned white-washed brick walls - that's it, allowing you to concentrate on conversation and eating!

• Quero's Profile Photo

The Rocks and Circular Quay Restaurants: Take your pick of pubs

by Quero Updated Nov 25, 2004

If you're hungry or thirsty (if you're like me, you get thirsty a lot) stop off in one of the many pubs in the Rocks to take care of the problem.

This photo shows Gloucester Walk (or is it Argyle Terrace?) on which there are a good number of restaurants, all filled with happy-and-getting-happier tourists.

Italian Village: The Food and the View...Incredible

by LadyRVG Written Feb 13, 2012

After reading a review of this restaurant; my husband and I decided to check it out for ourselves. After a walk in the Rocks we wandered over to the restaurant to take a look at the posted menu. Both of us liked what we saw; especially their pasta night on Wednesdays for $28 per person. We decided to come back on Wednesday for a nice dinner.

We arrived about a half hour after dinner service began and inquired about a table. Despite our lack of reservation the hostess found us a lovely table for two on their outdoor patio with wonderful harbour views. It too me some time to decide on an entree; everything sounded so delicious. As I mulled over my choices we decided on a bottle of Tasmanian Sauvignon Blanc for the table. As one of the waiters arrived with our wine ; I was ready to order. I chose the gnocchi in a brown butter sage sauce with pignoli nuts..Yum! Hubby chose the gnocchi as well but with a mushroom sauce.

Our waitress brought over warm bread and butter for us to snack on while we waited for our entrees. The bread was warm and fresh; the butter was sweet and creamy melting on the bread (God I love bread). I was very happy with our wine selection; it was crisp and delicious.
    As we sat at the table we watched the sun set in the sky with some incredible colors and the moon rise white and gloqing over the harbour. Wow...the view was spectacular and definitely set the romantic tone.

I was so busy enjoying the view that I barely noticed the arrival of our pasta. From the first bite I was in love with my meal. The gnocchi were so fresh and tender; perfect little pillows in a delicous sauce. I'm rather picky when it comes to my pasta; gnocchi in particular and these were divine. The sauce was perfect; smooth, creamy and seasoned just right. The added crunch and nuttiness of the pignoli finished off the dish spendidly. Hubby loved his gnocchi as well; fully enjoying the mushrooms (a favorite of his).

After such an incredible meal; there was no room for dessert sadly. We left fully satisfied and happy with the food, service and overall ambience of the restaurant.

Heritage Belgian Bier Cafe: My Favorite Mussels in Sydney

by LadyRVG Updated Apr 9, 2012

My favorite Mussels

The Heritage Belgian Bier Cafe is one of my favorite places in the Rocks to grab a meal. I love the atmosphere, the food and the wonderful selection of Belgian Beer.

The restaurant is a large space with high ceilings that give it an airy feel even when the place is jam packed for the dinner rush. Several dining areas with booths and tables are spread throughout so you don't feal as if you a crammed together with other diners. The bar area is always a lively spot with plenty of bar stools to accomodate thirsty patrons.

The menu has a wonderful selection of food especially Mussels prepared in several ways. Of course I love my mussels and always order them when I'm here; they are so delicious. My Husband is a fan of their Kangaroo loin which I will pass on since I love those furry creatures. The South Australian Squid is a favorite appetizer of ours; crispy with a lime aioli dipping sauce.

If you are a Belgian Beer lover as I am; you will love this place. They have an incredible selection and I can always find some of my favorites: Leffe Blonde, Stella Artois, La Guillotine, Chimay, Orval and Titje. Pair one of these with their mussels and perfection is assured.

Our last visit to the Bier Cafe was for lunch. We decided to take advantage of their lunch specials that came with a pitcher of Stella Artois for each entree. I ordered the Mussels a l'Escargot; which are my favorite. The mussels are served on the half shell; grilled with butter and garlic. The sauce is so incredible that I always dip my frites into it. My husband chose his favorite: Chargrilled Kangaroo Loin. We started with an appetizer of their crispy South Australian Squid which is incredibly good and cooked to perfection.

The food here is always delicious and the service is always very friendly. I always look forward to enjoying a meal here either with my hubby or with some of our Sydney friends. It's always a great time.

**Booking are a good idea especially for dinner; this is a popular spot.**

Favorite Dish: Mussels a l'Escargot are my all time favorite here. The mussels themselves are so sweet. The butter and garlic sauce is divine especially when dipping some bread or a frite. I often have to fight off my husband from eating all the sauce from my mussels.

• misakitaguchi's Profile Photo

Bungalow8: Don't miss the Aussie food

by misakitaguchi Updated Jan 18, 2004

They have a nice bar inside. You can eat outside. They have plenty of seats.
    I ate lunch there.You can relaxed with your friend to seeing Sydney Harbour.I think night time also nice.
    Want to go again!

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Phillip's Foote Restaurant: BBQ some Aussie meat

by cybergenic Updated Jul 30, 2007

FOOTE

Have a cold beer.
    Choose your meat.
    BBQ it to perfection.

Venture behind this historic pub and you'll find a courtyard strung with tables, benches, and large barbecues. Choose your own steak, lemon sole, trout, chicken, or pork, and throw it on the "barbie." It's fun, it's filling, and you might even make some new friends while your meal's sizzling.

All the Steaks are currently AUD$27.50 each
    There is a smorgasboard of pasta and salad which you can eat as much as you like included in the price.
    If there are a few people drinking, it can be a good idea to buy the beer in a jug and share.
    From memory a jug of VB is about AUD$15

Favorite Dish: Sydney Cut Steak - MEDIUM RARE AUD$27.50

• emerald125's Profile Photo

Sailors Thai Canteen: Thai in the Rocks

by emerald125 Written Dec 10, 2002

Thai restaurants are everywhere in Sydney. Newtown for example has at least a dozen in one street but this one is extra special. Great for travellers as no reservation is required but turnover is pretty quick so you wont have to wait too long. Open 12pm-9pm daily. There are a few outdoor tables but most seating is indoor at a long communal table. The owner, David Thompson, is the most famous thai chef in Australia and the food is unbelievable!

Favorite Dish: Pad Thai is my favourite also love the green Paw Paw salad

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Vintage Cafe: Good Lunch Grub

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Liz waiting for her meal (November 2010)

The Vintage Cafe is a small restaurant tucked into the Rocks. We decided to grab some lunch here before catching a ferry at Circular Quay. We climbed the stairs of their outdoor patio and asked for a table for two inside out of the sun.

As soon as we were seated I knew I liked the vibe of the place. It was small yet comfortable with a casual air to it. The menu here has a mix of pizza, pasta, chicken, beef, seafood and salads. After perusing the menu we both decided to have some pizza; the Margherita for Liz and the Chorizo for me. I decided to have a beer and Liz had a mint iced tea.

Our food arrived rather quickly and with a friendly smile from our waitress. Both of our pizzas came with a side salad which was quite nice. The pizza was very tasty but the crust was a bit on the thick side for my liking. The chorizo though was the perfect amount of spice.

I have to say this was a very enjoyable meal and I loved the Samba music piped into the restaurant.

Amoroma: Good Pizza in the Rocks

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 2, 2012

Deliciously Good Pizza

Amorama is a restaurant located in the Rocks that specializes in Italian fare and pizza. The place is located on George Street by the Nurses Walk; so a bit off the main tourist area. Hubby and I had walked by this place many times before finally checking it out in February 2010; it was well worth it. We enjoyed our food here so much we returned again in November 2010 and February 2012.

The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating. Their outdoor seating is comprised of some small umbrella laden tables; I prefer to sit here if the weather is not too hot. The menu consists of typical Italian dishes: pizza, pasta, appetizers, salads, Panini and desserts. Hubby and I have only experienced their Margherita pizza; it is that good that we have always ordered it.

I adore a good pizza and sometimes it really is hard to find one that I think is up to snuff. Amorama truly makes an excellent pizza. The crust is thin and crispy with just the right touch of tomato base. The mozzarella is creamy, fresh and so very good. They add just the right amount of basil to compliment the cheese and sauce. I am getting hungry just remembering it…

Service here has always been friendly and attentive; even when it is busy. The atmosphere is casual and inviting; perfect for a meal with friends or a bite to eat with that special someone.

Favorite Dish: Pizza here is very good; think crust and fresh ingredients.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Aqua Luna: Nice !!!!!

by jlanza29 Written Aug 6, 2004

the view from Aqua Luna

Considered by many the best Italian restaurant in Sydney, Aqua Luna doesn't dissapoint....located on the second floor, facing Circular Quay, the views of the Harbour Bridge and the beautiful downtown city is breathtaking at night. The food is very, very good.....the food selections are simple but yet elegantly presented......the wine list is heavy on Australian wines (hey remeber you are in Sydney) but a nice selections of Italian wines are also avaiable. Service was pleasant and the setting is really romantic. Recommend it to anyone !!!!!

Favorite Dish: the oven roasted quail with thin sliced onions and potatoe slices....excellent....and vanilla cream pie for dessert !!! WOW !!!!!

• Business Travel