Bookshops, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

Disney Section
    by cjg1
    The Perfect Book for a Boy...
  • Bookshops
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Dymocks: Great Book Selection

by cjg1 Updated Jan 25, 2013

The Perfect Book for a Boy...

My wife and I came to this bookstore with our friend Jackie to find a children's book for our nephew. We are big believers in giving him books and educational items to get him started off right. Even though he can't read yet, we enjoy reading books to him which he seems to enjoy immensely.

We wanted something that was Australian and unique for him. We'll we found just that, a book titled "There is a Monster Under My Bed Who Farts". Perfect in my opinion for a little boy...and with nice illustrations. The book was $25 which is pretty standard for a hardcover kids book nowadays.

He loves the book, especially the illustrations of the "monster". I'm glad we chose well.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Ariel: A Wonderful Bookshop in the Rocks

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 1, 2012

I love books in the age of "Kindles" and "IPads". I love the touch of a book; turning the pages and the smell of the paper. So for me a bookshop; especially a good bookshop is always priority.

Ariel is a quirky bookshop in the Rocks. Hubby and I always stop here during our Sydney visits to peruse the books and see what unique finds are there. They have a great selection of children's books and we have purchased several for my husband's niece throughout the years that she adores. The travel section has some great books and ones on hard to find locations in the world.

So if you are a "book" geek as I am; check this place out.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Ariel: A Nice Selection of Books

by cjg1 Updated Apr 19, 2010

Get your passport ready Ava....

I love checking out bookstores wherever we travel. My wife and I are avid book readers and are always on the lookout for something different or unique to read. This bookstore always has something interesting and we have come to this shop on both our 2007 and 2010 trips.

Our last visit here we picked up a book for our niece about world travel. It's not exactly a children's book but she reads way above her age level.

• kaftig's Profile Photo

Shop early!

by kaftig Written Jul 4, 2007
    Sydney City Center

While John Lloyd shopped for clothes at Ben Sherman and Bea shopped for bags at Roxy, I headed off to the different bookstores along Pitt Street to look for a copy of the graphic novel Summer Blonde for my officemate. I didn’t find one. Lea promised to bring me to York Street the next day. It is a street that is lined with bookstores.

“We’ll have to go there early tomorrow,” Lea told me, “Shops here close at 5:00 PM.”

“5:00 PM?!” I exclaimed, “So, what do people do here after work?”

“We go home, cook dinner, do the laundry, finish the household chores and watch TV,” Lea replied, “The government wants us to have more time with the family.”

“I love my family, but I can’t live that kind of life,” I told her.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Ariel Books: A Bibliophile's Delight Amongst the Tourist Traps

by aussiedoug Written Dec 22, 2004

Ariel Books with Keely at doorway

If you love books as I do then what's not to love here.

What I like most about it is that it caters to a wide range of tastes while still being what I would call concentrating on "serious" literary tastes.

Not only that, but it also has a neat little Chidrens section. My twin girls, my wife & I stopped in here after dining at the Italian Village earlier the evening before last. If it hadn't been getting a bit late I could easily have stayed in hour a couple of hours browsing, but knowing we needed to get back to our hotel & get tme to sleep so me making the first selection & I'm pretty sure it was Alexandra who was last. She always seem to change her mind at least 3 - 4 times with any purchase! lol!

Lastly, what I really like about is that it seems to be a "genuine" store in an area where so many shops seem to be intent on capturing the tourist money & aren't quite as concerned with the quality & the value of what they are selling. Hope I'm not being too hard on these other businesses.

Ariel Books is open 7 days a week from 9:00 a.m. to Midnight, so, open long hours for Biliophile Browsing!

What to buy: Well I suppose if you are visiting Australia from overseas then you definitely should buy something specificly about Sydney.

That's what my purchase was, a book about one of our architectural icons, the Sydney Opera House. It's titled:
    "Sydney Opera House
    Joern Utzon" & it's written by Philip Drew. It is one in a series of books, Architecture in Detail. There is a fascinating balance between historical background, the stages Utzon went through in building up the many different facets of his design, interesting sketches & drawings & some absolutely superb photographs of the multi-faceted faces of this wonderful building

It's only 60 pages & not a heavy book so ideal to take home without unnecessarily weighing down your luggage.

What I really wanted to buy (perhaps another time) was a large book on Van Gogh paintings from the different museums & galleries around the world. A large,heavy tome that was $150, but I think definitely worth it.

What to pay: You can see above the upper limits of possible expenditure at Ariel Books. My purchase was $29.95 a reasonable price I thought. U.S. visitors will find books more expensive here in Australia than at home.

• Architecture

• Gypsy_Saskia's Profile Photo

Gould's Bookshop: Books, books and books

by Gypsy_Saskia Written Dec 13, 2002

This second hand book shop on King Street, Newtown is the most amazing bookshop I;ve ever seen. It's chockers with books and opened 'till midnight! Well worth a visit.

What to pay: Books start at about $ 5.

Instant Answers: Sydney