Clothing, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

One of the shop windows
    handbag shop
    Karen Millen
  • 850prc's Profile Photo

Clothing: "TEAM HAT" wants YOU !

by 850prc Updated Jul 22, 2005

A new Digger hat = TOURISTS

There are no shortage of stores in Australia where one can purchase the famous Aussie Digger-style hat. There are more Digger hat stores than there are kangaroos, trust me on that.

And, I think the hats are pretty cool. I'm not criticizing anyone who wants one. I used to have one MANY years ago. I passed on buying one this time, primarily because the only people I saw wearing "nice" ones were tourist. The Aussies with Digger hats usually own the kind that look like they were fired into space a few times. Lots of wear and tear. And, it appears to be the same with the Digger hats as young people feel about blue jeans.... They have to be worn to be comfortable. And they have to be comfortable to be cool.

So, if you want a nice Digger hat, you can own one anywhere for under A$125 or so, maybe much less. But, be advised, you might as well wear a flashing sign that screams tourist. : )

A little silly story regarding hats.... When we were in Alice Springs, we were picked up early one morning for an overnight camping trip to Ayers Rock. After we were picked up, the next stop was at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Alice. The driver said we were looking for a Danish family called the Neilssons. Well, as we drive up to the hotel, there's a nice family (dad, mom, son, daughter) waiting in the dark. They're blond, fair-skinned, and every one of them has a brand new Digger hat on their head. I'm sure the price tags were still in their hotel room rubbish can. Our driver goes.... "oh my, there's TEAM HAT". We all cracked up. But in typical Aussie fashion, he proved that he wasn't a snot or anything by adding...... "at least we'll be able to find them easily in a crowd".

What to buy: A famous Digger hat, if it suits your fancy. There's nothing really wrong with joining "TEAM HAT". The Neilssons were very nice people. They taught me the Danish word for marshmallow one night, after we'd had too much of a French guy's whiskey. I can't spell it, but phonetically it's SCUMS-FYDOR. We all started saying that word around the campfire, and none of us could say it without laughing. God bles you, TEAM HAT.

What to pay: The hats are usually under A$125

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Clothing: Roxy

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 12, 2008

My functional sandals

I arrived in Sydney with a pair of beautiful high heeled sandals that were quite comfortable (that is if you weren't walking as much as we did). But after walking all over Circular Quay, Botanic Gardens and Domain, around Darling Harbour, my poor feet were killing me.

I was in search of a pair of sandals that were functional, cute and comfy. I searched all over Sydney for the right pair and after about an hour, walked into Roxy and found the pair pictured here.

I didn't love them, but I needed something quick and this is the closet I came to something that suited my needs.

Lucky for me I neither loved them and paid too much for them, because as soon as I got home my pup torn them apart (I guess she thought they weren't fashionable enough, and I think I would agree), oh well....

What to buy: Roxy sells a large selection of beach wear, shorts, sun dresses, t-shirts, bathing suits, and anything you need for a day at the beach.

I found my sandals here.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

Clothing.: Flirting in Bondi

by Sweetberry1 Written Aug 27, 2003

Flirting..

Nooo... not that kind of flirting.. LOL..

'Flirting' is the name of the lingerie shop on the promenade of Bondi Beach.. It just caught my eye, and I couldn't resist taking a photo.
    However, I did wonder if I could afford to buy the 'price tag' .. ;-)

What to buy: In A Lingerie shop??? What else?

• Luxury Travel

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

SHOPPING STREET: Oxford Street

by SydneyGal Updated Jan 1, 2003

Marcs fashion

The Oxford Street strip, stretching along the suburb Paddington, has long been established as the shopping mecca for the chic and cool of Sydney. Not only does it have a great selection of local and upmarket designer stores (eg. Brave, Zimmerman, Billion Dollar Babes, Robbie Ingam, Akira Isogawa), it also has the regular Australian/international chain brands (Marcs, Esprit, Country Road, General Pants, Review, Jigsaw, Witchery, Kookai etc). This is the best place to shop for young and funky designer wear.

What to buy: Mens and Ladies clothing, shoes, homewares. On Saturdays Paddington Markets for arts and crafts.

• SierraSydney's Profile Photo

Clothing: Double Bay Boutiques

by SierraSydney Updated Apr 4, 2011

Transvaal Avenue, Double Bay

Plenty of boutiques are located in this area. The shop fronts alone are very cute. You will also find a few seconds stores in the area, full of high end labels. Once youve done boutique hopping, there are lots of nice cafes and restaurants. My favourite is called the Limoncello - cafe/restaurant.

Explore the European-style lanes and arcades for silverware, fine jewellery, antiques, art and gifts.

The current Miss Universe/Miss Australia had her hair done recently at Transvaal Avenue, Double Bay.

What to buy: Unique and Designer labels, beautiful childrens toys- rocking horses, doll houses, exquisite jewellery and baby clothes...you will find a bit of everything in Double Bay.

http://www.dbi.com.au/phonedir.html some of these links show pictures of each beautiful restaurant/clothing store etc.

What to pay: Much above average

• Women's Travel

• Clothing.: East Gardens Shopping Mall

by Emmachristie Written Jul 21, 2004

This shopping mall has everything a girl could want from shoes & bags to departments to sports shops. East Gardens caters for all - and also has a wicked food arcade! Prices are very reasonable too - a particular favourite shop of mine was Sports Girl, it has smart troussers to denium skirts to Suit jackets, dont miss it!

What to buy: A lot of things are cheap to buy in Sydney, i found that a lot of their sports shops were reasonable for shorts / tops / running troussers / trainers etc

What to pay: Not as much as the UK thats for sure!

• Women's Travel
    • Music

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Clothing.: Seconds

by Ramonq Written Oct 15, 2003

There are seconds shops in the warehouse districts of Sydney. These shops don't sell second-hand clothes, but slightly damaged ones at very affordable price. Factory outlets are also good places to buy clothes and shoes

What to pay: Big savings from retail prices.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Wombat at the Rocks: Aussie Items

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 1, 2012

Wombat at the Rocks is one of the many cute little shops in the Rocks area. The shop sells quality Australian items; hats, shoes, bags and accesories. They have a large selction of Ugg items as well as Jacaru hats. I've been shopping here since my fist visit to Sydney in 2007. They have a great selction of items and the sales people are very helpful.

Over the years I have purchased many items here; Jacaru hats, tee shirts and several Ugg accesories(I'm not a fan of Ugg boots that for some reason are so popular in the states. The real leather Ugg boots are nicer). I do love their ear muffs and gloves; so warm for the cold New York winters. Prices here are quite reasonable for such quality merchandise.

• freespirit1's Profile Photo

Maggie-T: Shopping for Real Ladies

by freespirit1 Written Mar 1, 2008

There are two stores in Sydney, one down by Wynyard Station and close to the Four Season's Hotel on George St, just behind Sportsgirl and the other just at the entrance of the lift taking you up the Centrepoint Tower Restaurant.
    Both have fabulous linen, cotton silk garments Australian size 12 - 24 and if they do not have what you are after they will point you in the right direction.
    It is notoriously difficult to find plus size clothing in Australia.

What to buy: Every day wear hand picked by Australian icon Maggie Tabberer or her daughter's Italian linen made in Italy.

What to pay: $50 upwards

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

Shopping Mecca - The Queen Victoria Building

by SydneyGal Written Jan 1, 2003

Shot taken from the observation deck of AMP tower

The Queen Victoria Building, or as it is more commonly known to locals, the QVB is a great place to visit for not only the shoppers out there, but also those interested in Byzantine Architecture…Apparently, the QVB has been described by Pierre Cardin as "the most beautiful shopping centre in the world". Originally built in 1898, it was renovated and converted to a giant shopping mecca in the middle of Sydney's CBD, with more than 200 shops. The Queen Victoria Building offers a range of shopping outlets including fashion boutiques, beauty care, jewellers and Australian souvenirs / clothing.

What to buy: Mens and ladies clothing, shoes, jewellery, cosmetics, bath and body products, souvenirs

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Clothing: Market City - Cloth Factory Outlets

by cal6060 Written Jul 18, 2011

Market City, Sydney

There is a branded clothing factory outlets in Market City. Market City on the second floor of Paddy's Market.

You can buy cloths with factory outlet prices. Shops like Esprit, Cotton On, Giordano, and etc are there. You will be surprised by the price unless you don't see what you like.

There is a big oriental hypermarket in the mall, plus a food court mostly serve Asian foods.

Wombat at the Rocks: A Nice Jacaru Hat for Me

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Hats and Uggs...

We were walking in the Rocks when we came upon this store. I saw they had several hats in the shop and knew I was looking for a nice hat. I found several Kangaroo skin hats in a variety of colors and tried them on. After finding the right size for me, I decided I liked the light tan colored had with the brown leather trim.

The hat wasn't too bad in price $95. I was happy to have the hat since it is something I always wanted but never bothered to purchase during my earlier trips. The hat was very soft and comfortable. It kept my head cool in the hot weather and provided just the right amount of shade for my face.

The store also has a large selection of tee shirts and Ugg products.

What to pay: The hat was $95

Flirty: Women's Clothing and Beachwear

by cjg1 Written Apr 16, 2010

Flirty is one of the many shops in Cronulla on the main drag. This particular store drew us in when we saw a dress in the window. The store has a large selection of womens clothing from dresses, tops; both casual and evening attire. After wandering the shop Liz decided on a flowery short white dress with hot pink flowers and a light pink ruffles tank. The saleswoman was very friendly and chatted us up about our travels.

What to pay: The store was very affordable with both top and dress priced at $30 each

Rundles: Women's Clothing

by cjg1 Written Apr 16, 2010

Rundles is one of the many shops that sell dresses in Cronulla. The store is rather large with tons of long and short dresses as well as skirts and tops. We initially went in just to take a look but found a beautiful long dress in a Navy blue and white pattern. After finding her size, my wife headed off to the dressing room. It was a perfect fit and she loved it. So another dress purchase for the day and a happy wife.

What to buy: Any dress you could want or need.

What to pay: My wife's dress was $40.

Trinity: Women's Clothing and Beachwear

by cjg1 Written Apr 16, 2010

Trinity Clothing was another shop we visited when we were in Cronulla. The shop was small but has a large selection of women's dresses, shoes and accessories. We were wandering past the window when a dress caught my eye as well as the large sale sign in the window. Liz and I went inside and found several dresses we both liked. After trying on a few she found two that she loved: a long white dress with blue on the bottom of the dress and a gray and white long dress. The dresses were a steal at $35 a piece.

Instant Answers: Sydney