Markets, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

The inside story
    Loved these
    I think this is it
  • iandsmith's Profile Photo

Paddington Markets: Paddington Markets

by iandsmith Written Nov 13, 2013
    The inside story

As with all markets you can get a variety of goods here, not just the single one VT let me put in.
    It's on every Saturday with live music included.

What to buy: You can get clothing, food, jewellery, art and many other items here. The location around a church makes it interesting just to visit even if you don't buy anything.

Take the train to Museum station and get any of Sydney buses no: 380, 333, 378 (blue and white)or M40 (red bus) up Oxford St and get off at the first stop after Paddington Town Hall. (Bus tickets available at the kiosk at the bottom of the stairs at Museum station)
    Take the train to Central Station, take the Eddy Av Exit and go to Stand A
    Take the 378 bus (Sydney Buses) Ask for the Wiilliam St stop in the centre of Paddington Shopping Centre on Oxford St. Bus ticket available from kiosk at station.

What to pay: Dare I say, as much as you want!

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Paddy's Market: Flea Market Type Items

by LadyRVG Updated May 24, 2012

Paddy's Market is best described as a huge flea market in the Chinatown vicinity. Vendors sell their wares from stalls throughout the building. There is an abundance of souvenier type items from stuffed animals, key chains and shirts. Prices range from vendor to vendor so if you are a smart shopper you can walk away with a bargain.

Our most recent visit to Paddy's Market I walked away with a few tee shirts for my nephew. They are cheap and probably won't last a few washing but he's an ever growing baby; he'll out grow them fast. Three tee shirts were very cheap at $6. I spent a little more money $15 a shirt for a Sydney tee for my friend's teenage daughter who happens to be named Sydney.

Paddy's Market is open Thursday to Sunday. Expect crowds; this is a popular tourist and local destination.

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo

Markets.: Paddys Market ( Haymarket)

by RedEaredPanda Updated Apr 4, 2011

Paddys Markets hold over 800 stalls. You can buy almost anything there, from Pets to food. I have bought many pets from paddy's. Its a very cheap place to shop for souveniers also. People are very freindly and there is no bargaining. Its located on the Ground floor of a shopping centre.

What to buy: Souveniers, Food, Pets, Clothing,Electronics, just about anything you can think of. They also sell the traditional sheep skin covers.CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!!
    There are 2 locations. Flemington and Haymarket. The Haymarket location is only open from Thursdays to Sundays

What to pay: $1- $100 depending on what you're shopping for.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Markets: Paddy's Market

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Entrance to Paddy's Market

This is a HUGE flea market type market in the basement of Market City in Chinatown. You can get EVERYTHING you would want to take home and at a discount. There are tons of vendors selling clothing, jewelry, toys, luggage, fruit, souvenirs, shoes, etc.

I have been here several times and admittedly do not always find something I need to have. It should be noted that the market is only open Thursday through Sunday.

What to buy: Any type of souvenir you need to bring home can be found here. Our most recent visit in 2010 we had a lot of requests for souvenirs for the family and friends back home. We bought baseball hats for my Father, myself, and my Father in law. We bought tee shirts for my brother in law and for one of our friends Daughter. I also purchases a stuffed kangaroo for my step-brother....he wanted one. A key chain and shot glasses were big request items and we found those in abundance at the market. Liz actually found some dresses here and for cheap.

What to pay: Inexpensive. The hats were $2 a piece. The shirts were $12. The key chains were $1.50 and the shot glasses were $3. Liz's dresses were $20. The stuffed kangaroo was $4.

• Architecture
    • Beaches

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Markets: Rocks Market

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Christmas Galore

The Rocks Market is a must see when visiting Sydney. The Markets are Saturdays and Sundays. The vendors have every type of souvenir imaginable as well as food, pet wares, jewelery, beauty and bath products, clothes, Christmas ornaments, books, pictures and housewares. The Rocks Market is a great way to people watch and take it all in. We always have fun strolling around, shopping and even playing a small game of spot the American.

Our most recent trip to the market was during our 2010 trip. I found a nice photo album with a Sydney Scene on the front cover; perfect for our photo memories. Liz bought a Christmas Ornament; it is a tradition that we buy an ornament from every trip. I found a nice pair of cuff-links as well in the market but was going to pass when I saw the price. My wife said since it was my Birthday trip I'm allowed to indulge; so I bought them.

What to buy: There is something for everyone at the market and in every price range.

What to pay: Depending on the item it can range from inexpensive to rather pricey. My Photo album was $80, the Christmas ornament was $15 and my cuff-links were $65.

• Beaches

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

MARKET CITY: MODERN MARKET CITY

by AusPinay Written Jul 4, 2009
    At the centre of Market City

This place is huge, like a mall really. It is above PADDY'S MARKETS which is another modern fleamarket sort of shopping mecca.

It is teeming people especially tourists and we chanced upon it while looking for a place to have lunch before our show at the Capitol Theatre which is nearby.

There are hundreds of shops to choose from but there are also little stalls selling tourist items and other knickknacks, soem at bargain prices, some are a bit pricey as well so be selective and cautious!

What to buy: There's a big variety of items to choose from- souvenirs to clothes, bags, anything really!

But the best ones to get are small items like purses, scarves, beanies, etc., good for the cold wintet in Sydney these days!

What to pay: Expect to pay from a dollar to three dollars for the wooly beanies and fingerless gloves which we loved- my kids like them.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Paddy's Market: Touristy shopping @ Paddy's Market

by xuessium Written Jul 8, 2008

Paddy'sMarket

150 years old and still going strong.

The origin of Paddy's as a distinct market can be traced back to 1834. Throwing heavy history aside, today, it is a rowdy place full of touristy knick-knacks attracting a globe full of tourists trying to hunt down the best deals in souvenirs.

The exterior looks inviting enough. It certainly looks much more stately than Melbourne's very own Victoria Market, set along the same theme. However, Victoria Market's open concept actually works to its advantage as it allows natural light and fresh air to flow through. The interior is dark and heavy and reminds me more of a warehouse, if not for the swirls of people eddying from stall to stall.

Well, I suppose if it's cheap thrills (pun intended) one is after, then I guess one can forgive it all. On that note though, I actually found better prices elsewhere so I am not too sure where the advantage lies.

HOURS
    Thu-Sun, Mon & Public Holidays
    9:00am - 5:00pm; Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm

To get there:
    By train: Catch the train to Town Hall or Central Stations. It's only a five minute walk to Paddy's!
    By bus: The Sydney Explorer stops right outside the door.
    By Monorail: Alight at Haymarket station, right at the door of Paddy's!
    By LightRail: Alight at Haymarket, right at the door of Paddy's.

What to buy: Anything money can buy

What to pay: Anything money can buy

• Women's Travel

• Markets: Bondi Markets!

by aimwag Updated Feb 12, 2007

I noticed not much had been written about the Bondi Markets here in Sydney. I'm sure many who know about Sydney know Bondi Beach and as an inhabitant and lover of the city (I also love shopping), I must advise the Bondi Markets for the trendiest and funkiest fashion and jewelry, by new designers and vintage collectors. It has recently expanded, located at the grounds of a primary school just opposite the beach on Campbell Pde. The market is held every Sunday and is filled with clothes, jewelry, art, shoes, underwear, flowers, gadgets, music, furniture and more! For both men and women, it's a great place to get an interesting gift for a better price! Alot of well-known Sydney designers have started off here. It is best for clothing, especially vintage, and many of the products on offer are a great reflection of the unique style of Sydney-siders - eclectic, vibrant and creative! For travellers - a great place to buy popular, cheap second-hand books at the regular book stalls; you can also trade books there.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Markets: Paddy's Markets

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 21, 2006

Paddy's Markets located in Haymarket near China Town is a fantastic place to shop. An indoor market with thousands of stalls selling everything you can imagine.

What to buy: We purchased some socks, local crafts and of course the obligatory souvenirs. We picked up some key chains, stuffed koala bears, bomerangs, postcards and a beautiful photo album.

What to pay: Really inexpensive, the best deals around.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Markets: The Rocks

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 21, 2006

This market located at the Rocks is held every weekend (Sat-Sun) rain or shine. You will find all sorts of jewelery, arts and crafts, local pottery even doggie treats. I purchased my green necklace I have on during my visit to watson's Bay, and of course some doggie treats as my little Cookie always benefits from any of my trips.

What to buy: Local arts and crafts

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Paddy's Market: Good shopping at Paddy's Market

by BorneoGrrl Updated Jun 29, 2006

Paddy's Market

This is a great place to go if you want to buy Australian souvenirs, clothes, foodstuff and basically anything Australian for a cheaper price than the regular mall. However, a lot of the souvenirs, trickets and T-shirts are imported from Asia, namely China. Nevertheless you can still get some good bargains on the typical sounvenirs to bring home to wherever you come from

What to buy: Well, I would get some of the cheesy souvenirs to pass around to my friends e.g little koala & kangaroo toys, Aussie flags, cheap T-shirts and imitation Ugg boots & outback hats

• hennanights's Profile Photo

Sydney Haymarkets: The main markets

by hennanights Updated Jun 19, 2006

Haymarkets are open from 9am every Thursday to Sunday. Its the biggest market of its kind in Sydney. Inside the building you will find many stalls in this market selling a large range of items from fruit and veg to clothes, cds, home goods, souvenirs, toys, wigs, sunglasses etc. The market covers two floors with the lower ground stall holders and the first floor a dinning area.

What to buy: I got some great presents to take home and there were differently some bargains to be had if you shopped around. I got a funny logo T shirt for my husband and some beautiful Chinese fans. My daughter got a funky woollen hat and scarf set.

• backpackerbaby's Profile Photo

Bondi Beach Market: Shop before you get wet!

by backpackerbaby Written Jun 4, 2006

When a school becomes a market...

It's another weekend market of Sydney. If you plan to visit Bondi, pick a Sunday and you can visit the famous Bondi Beach Market as well. The stalls were less interesting than those at Glebe Market and there seemed fewer stalls too (just my feeling, perhaps wrong). Yet, it still gave me a market feeling.

• backpackerbaby's Profile Photo

Glebe Market: Shopping with the locals

by backpackerbaby Updated Jun 4, 2006

The entrance to the shopping paradise.

Glebe Market is simply fantastic. I didn't expect that I could find such a place, which was so London, in Sydney. It should be a hidden treasure in the locals' eyes as I didn't see many travellers (at least no other Asians apart from some stall owners). There were lots of stalls selling second-handed clothing, which I liked to check out the most. It's a great place to spend half of your Saturaday if you're in Sydney.

Note:
    Opens on Saturaday only.

What to buy: Tee! There are several stalls selling nice Ts, both second-handed and brand-new.
    I found one stall (it's on the right edge of the market, somewhere in the middle (geographical height) but on the right if you face 'uphill') selling wonderful Tees, which were very funny, new yet gave you a vintage feeling! I bought one which cost AUD18 originally and in the end just AUD16! The stall owner also sells at Bondi Beach Market on Sunday. Don't miss it!

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

Markets: PADDINGTON MARKET

by aussiejen Written Apr 24, 2006

Don't miss the Paddington Market while in Sydney. It happens every Saturday morning.

There is a huge choice of goodies to buy. Everyone is catered for, whether you are looking for new, secondhand, handmade, or maybe food.

An ideal place to find that special present or something special for yourself. Choose from books, jewellery, clothes, hats, bags, belts, toys, cushions, photo frames, old wares, jams, chutneys, pickles, chocolate etc.

Feeling peckish? Plenty of food to choose from........burgers, sausages, falafel, doughnuts, and lots more. Wash it all down with a coffee or a cold drink.

Instant Answers: Sydney