AFL (Football), Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

June 6, 2004 vs. St Kilda.
    by cjg1
  • AFL (Football)
    by Holgs_in_Syd
  • Now we know which footy team Santa supports!
    Now we know which footy team Santa...
    by aussiedoug
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Go Swans!

by cjg1 Updated Oct 29, 2007

Doug was great enough to get us into the Sydney/St Kilde match. St Kilda was undefeated coming in. And basically got crushed by the Swans. Much fun was had by all.

This was my first experience with Aussie rules footy and I was quite happy to have the chance to go see a match. Little did I know then, I would see the Swans play and win again in Melbourne just over a year later on my second trip to this wonderful country.

And now, I even have an Aussie rules player who has come to the States to play with the Jets.

June 6, 2004 vs. St Kilda.

• Holgs_in_Syd's Profile Photo

Sydney Swans

by Holgs_in_Syd Written Jun 28, 2005

Victorians like to claim that AFL is their game, but there are some great sides outside Melbourne these days and not too many Victorian teams have one the premiership lately. I know this is going to be controvercial, but I think the best games are to be seen in the other capital cities now.

The games to look out for in Sydney are either Sydney v Collingwood or Sydney v Brisbane Lions. As a lions supporter this can however be a bit painful, because the Swans actually have a good record against us, especially at the SCG. The photo is of the semi-final in 2003... we won that one :)

Equipment: Your chosen team's Scarf and beanie. Best place to get these are in the Queen Victoria Markets in melbourne of Paddies Markets in Sydney if you want a cheapie!

• Beer Tasting

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo

AFL (Football)

by RedEaredPanda Written Jun 30, 2004

It you are into sport... Football is the main sporting championshiip activity in Australia.
    The Sydney team is called "Sydney Swans"
    I am not really interested in Football so I dont know much about the team.
    I have attached there website for those who are interested.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Cheer, Cheer the Red & the White - Go Swannies!

by aussiedoug Updated Dec 31, 2003

If you happen to visit Sydney anytime from late March to September then get yourself to a Sydney Swans game!
    Some years ago I had a terrific guy from Ohio (USA) by the name of Jim Casher, doing a 10 week practicum on my class as an exchange thing with Sydney Uni (from Kent State). He came to quite a few games & fell in love with it. He was lucky enough to be at the SCG when Tony 'Plugger' Lockett kicked his record breaking goal against Collingwood (the team we all love to hate & that includes victorians as well!).
    For me having grown up playing Rugby League, then Rugby Union (at College including representative selection) then coaching Primary school rugby including the N.S.W. P.S.S.A. side for 3 years (coached current Aust flanker Phil Waugh) it is a big thing when I say that AFL is the best spectator football code in Australia.
    Most games are played at the S.C.G., but some are played (& usually a Sat. night) at Telstra Stadium the Olympic Stadium in 2000.
    Last year the Swans did much better than the Melbourne jounalists predicted, & quite honestly than we fans expected and were finally beaten by the eventual Premiers, Brisbane, one game away from the Grand Final.
    Check the club's website below if you are interested in finding out more.

Equipment: Of course you'll need to get tickets so check this website:-
    www.ticketek.com.au
    before you come or check one of their offices in the city after you arrive.
    Weather can vary from short sleeved shirts early in the season for afternoon games to heavy duty winter gear for Saturday night games mid and late in the season.

Now we know which footy team Santa supports!

Instant Answers: Sydney