Football - All codes, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Football = Sydney FC viewing

by Joseph69 Updated Feb 5, 2007

Football at night

Going to the Sydney Football Stadium - SFS - (also known as Aussie Stadium), and watching a football match between Sydney FC and their opponents is great fun. The atmosphere is typical football, with plenty of singing and chanting by the cheersquad in The Cove.

Even if you're not into football (soccer) too much, I suggest you go just for the fun. You won't regret it!

• Adventure Travel

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Sydney FC / Aussie Stadium

by ValbyDK Updated Oct 19, 2008

Aussie Stadium

If you are a soccer fan like me, you could go and watch Sydney FC at Aussie Stadium.

I have no preference for any Australian soccer club, but I always find it exciting to watch a local soccer match - and speak with some of the local fans.

We saw Sydney FC against Melbourne Victory FC in the Australian A-League. Nice atmosphere at the stadium. The stadium opened in 1988 and holds 42000 spectators.

Check the fixtures for Sydney FC at their webpages.

• Adventure Travel

• kooka3's Profile Photo

Give it a try

by kooka3 Written Jul 6, 2003

When you are in Sydney - or anywhere in Australia - get to see a rugby game. It is a definite cultural experience! There are games going on all the time, and there are plenty of teams. It doesn't really matter where you go or which team you see. My favorite is Manly, but that's only because they won the first live game I ever went to see (fickle? maybe - but I don't care!). Anyway, it's a lot of fun, but I would recommend that you go with someone who can explain the game to you if you don't know it already.

• OnTheRoadGoombah's Profile Photo

NSW Waratahs Rugby

by OnTheRoadGoombah Written Feb 16, 2008

I became fascinated with Rugby five years ago when I first visited Australia. I told myself that I would attend a match because the fans watching in pubs were very rowdy and it looked like a fun and exciting game to watch in person.

Finally this year, I attended my first match -- The NSW Waratahs versus the Hurricanes. I got there early and was able to purchase my ticket in Cat 1 seats -- although I think you could buy a cheaper seat and still have a great time.

I was not disappointed. The game was fun and exciing to watch and the crowd, while loud, was surprisingly well-behaved. I am not sure what I expected, but thought that all that testosterone and beer would lead to some bad behavior, but it didn't. It may have helped that the home team won.

A family can go here and enjoy the game.

Equipment: To watch the game, all you need is a spare liver.

• huwhit's Profile Photo

AUSSIE STADIUM

by huwhit Written May 21, 2005

Waratah's defeating the Bulls in May 2005

HOME OF THE WARATAHS, ROOSTERS, SOUTHS, DRAGONS and SYDNEY FC

Aussie Stadium has the best atmosphere of all the stadia in Sydney - and that includes Telstra Stadium (the olympic stadium).

I recently went to the NSW Waratah's Super 12 Semi-Final at Aussie, a great team and a great night.

The location of the venue also makes the stadium great - it is in walking distance of Central Stadium and close to Oxford Street and some great pubs in Surrey Hills.

Ideal to watch the Waratahs in the Super 12 Rugby, Roosters, Souths or the Dragons for NRL or Sydney FC for the new A-League Football.

• Brit_girl's Profile Photo

To watch

by Brit_girl Written Dec 29, 2002

The Rugby (which is union) is a great watch in Australia - it is actually Sydneys sport. There are sometimes local games e.g. in Coogee that are well worth watching.

The rest of Australias national sport is Aussie rules, this too is well worth watching whilst you are there.

• Socceroos game

by oznztofro Written Jun 27, 2010

The socceroos play at least 1 game of Football in Sydney every year.

It is either held at Anz Stadium (In olympic park) or the SFS in Moore Park

Tickets rage from back rom seats for about $28 to green & gold arm seats for $125 behind the net

Or you can be a brave person & sit in the visiting countries suporters section for only $50

Its a good game & we all go home happy no matter what happens

Equipment: If you want a momentom from attending a Socceroosgame. i say Buy an official socceroos scarf for only $30

• Angbur's Profile Photo

Northern Spirit - Not in The Brochures

by Angbur Updated Dec 20, 2002

Going to watch a football (by that I mean the proper version where you actually use your feet - soccer if you must) match is not on the top of most people's list of things to do when they travel to Australia. Aussie Rules, Rugby or Cricket are the things to do if you want to watch a typically Aussie sport. If you're after something a bit different though (or if you are just a bit of a football obsessive) then a trip to watch a game in the Australian Soccer League may be your thing.
    The Australian season takes place during their summer (September through to April - when it's the rugby and Aussie rules close season) and most games seem to place on a Friday night (check locally for certain though).
    Northern Spirit are one of the Sydney based teams and they play at the North Sydney Oval - which is one of the nicest sports stadiums I have ever been to. It has a fantastic 1930's charm to it. To be honest the standard of the football is not great (one of the star players for Spirit had just come from the reserve team of Notts County who play in the English 2nd division). But it isn't really the quality of the football that is the attraction. It's the fans.
    I think I spent more time watching the fans than I did the game. They were just nuts (in a very good way) and just carried on dancing singing and shouting all game - it didn't matter that they were losing. Songs included the umpla lumpa song, which is really hard to describe but had me in stitches every time it was sung. The fans also spent most of the game whacking a few beachballs about. It was impossible not to get invoolved in all the fun, it was a great atmosphere.
    It may not be the most typically Aussie thing to do, it may not be advertised in any of the brochures and the quality of the football not great, but a night out at Northern Spirit is one of the most enjoyable nights out I had and the Steak sandwiches they sell at the ground are pretty good too.

• Football (Soccer)

by jrr3 Written Jan 5, 2003

I know the country isnt fond of football but there are a few football clubs around in Sydney. I went a few times to watch Northern Spirit play whose home ground is in North Sydney.
    Took the train from the CBD to North Sydney then walked 5 minutes to the ground.
    Only cost about 9 Australian Dollars and the ground had a good atmosphere even though there was only about 7,000 people there.
    Highly recommend it for a cheap and good night out, I think most games are played Friday Night or Sun Afternoon.

Instant Answers: Sydney