Blue Mountains, Sydney

by HispanicYob
  • HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Blue Mountains

by HispanicYob Written Aug 29, 2012

The Blue Mountains are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Located about a little over an hour out of Sydney, the Blue Mountains are nestled among plateaus and some pristine rain forest. It's home to places of interest like Flat Rock, which affords excellent views of the surrounding areas of the valleys. There's also the Scenic Tram that takes you across the gorge, and also another tram that's the world's steepest that will take you down the forest floor. There are walkways along the forest floor canopy that will take you near the Katoomba mine area as well. So many tourists the day I went, even though it was winter. I can only imagine how summer would've been, lots of families out. You might be able to spot some local wildlife, especially a lot of birds. I caught sight of a little kookabura nestled on a telephone wire. Towards the last half of the tour, we even spotted kangaroos off the side of the highway! Going to the Blue Mountains is something you should do when you visit Sydney. Most hotels can book you tours, so it's easy. I've provided the website of the tour company I used. The tours leave in the morning and return about 6 PM. Mine also included a river cruise at the end.

• Eco-Tourism

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Exploring the Blue Mountains National Park

by LadyRVG Updated Feb 9, 2012

Finally in February 2010; my husband an I made it to the Blue Mountains. We took a guided tour that left from Sydney via bus. Our visit to the National Park included: The Three Sisters, Katoomba Falls, Katooma Coal Mine, Echo Point, Wentworth Falls, Scenic Railway, Scenic Skyway, Scenic Cableway, Scenic Walkway and a short film detailing the history of the Blue Mountains.

We had a great time despite it being a little wet and chilly. Fortunately we arrived in time to see the Three Sisters and seveal other sights before the fog rolled in and hid the views. The natural beauty of the place is awe inspiring and a must see when in the area.

**Wear comfortable and sturdy walking shoes. Bring plenty of water and dress for the weather.**

• Sydney Tours R Us highlight showed us the best !

by Carloscan Written Jan 5, 2012

We travelled up from Sydney on their tour bus, it was the best thing we did. To have a competent safe driver with all the local knowledge and it was a very efficient use of our short time in Sydney.
    The scenery is superb and we enjoyed the friendly people everywhere.
    We could not have seen so much doing it by ourselves, we got to some beautiful out of the way lookouts.
    The price was very reasonable and we even patted Koalas and it included a return cruise to Sydney harbor.

• Cruise

• arianne_1504's Profile Photo

OzTrails Blue Mountains Tour

by arianne_1504 Written Apr 12, 2011

This day was probably the highlight of my trip to Sydney. For $68 OzTrails took me to the Blue Mountains. The day started well with great friendly drivers, who obviously have a good knowledge of their subject as well as a good sense of humour. Steve, who was our guide for the day took us to Olympic Park for a drive-by tour of the former 2002 Sydney Olympics Venue, before we stopped for morning tea along the banks of the Penrith River. Next we travelled onto Wentworth Falls. After a short bushwalk, we returned to the bus to head to Scenic World. This additional part of the trip was optional ($25 and well worth it by the way) - and consisted of three modes of transport giving you three different views of the Blue Mountains. For lunch we went to Leura where we were given just over an hour to select a venue of our choice for lunch and browse the shops as we saw fit. Back in the bus we went to Flat Rock for an unfenced view of the Blue Mountains which was awesome. Next was a stop at a National Park campground, where we got to see some kangaroos, galahs and rosellas. Lastly, we boarded a boat for a river cruise back to the city, where you could stop at either Darling Harbour or Circular Quay and which was fabulous because it was a much better way to end the day instead of waiting around in the bus for everyone to be dropped back to their individual hotels.

This trip was fantastic and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

• Singles

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Blue Mountains: Scenic Railway

by xuessium Updated Apr 4, 2011

BlueMountainsScenicRailway

You can't be missing Scenic World when you are in the Blue Mountains. Things have changed so much in between my visits in 1999 and 2004. For one thing, the facade of the place is modernising with time for a more modern "theme-park" look. Another, the old rickety Scenic Skyway was replaced with a newer looking thingagimic. (I was glad I was able to catch a ride on the old dame for a last time)

Take a ride down the steepest incline Railway in the world down into a lush and hidden valley. The 415m descent will lead you through a cliff side tunnel into ancient rainforest. At one point, the gradient is 48 degrees and you will find yourself virtually standing up while you are busy plunging down into the valley.

Once down in the valley, you could choose to do the walks or take the new Scenic Flyway back up. The walks down in the valley are great and cooling. Have a look at the peat rich dark soil and smell the eucalyptus rich air. This is as good as you can get for an initiation to the Blue Mountains.

Admission prices for Scenic Railway:
    Adult: A$8 one way; A$16 return
    Child: A$4 one way; A$8 return
    Family Pass: A$40

• Try Wonderbus

by stevelondon88 Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went on the Wonderbus Blue Mountains Eco Tour, which highlights the flora and fauna and includes some 'medium-strength' walking. Our guide, Marlowe, was fantastic; Really enthusiastic and extremely knowledgeable about the Mountains. At Euroka Clearing she led us straight to gathering of wild kangaroos, and at the Mountains themselves she led us on a 'Thousand Step' walk which really brings you right into to the mountain environment - far better than just bussing from lookout to lookout with the other tourists. At the end of the walk, during which we'd only seen a handful of other people, we arrived at the Scenic Railway boarding point, which was literally swarming with tourists. How can you appreciate the location when there are so many crowds? It made me appreciate doing the Eco tour with just a small group.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Blue Mountains - 1hr west of Sydney

by aussirose Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sydney Blue Mountains

A great day trip west of Sydney. At Katoomba you can view the 3 sisters- lovely rock formations. The mountain views are spectacular and bush walks are nice. Also go on the scenic railway at almost a right angle down the mountain and come back up by skycab. The scenery is breathtaking.
    If you want to know where the three sisters are just like the roos in the pic, please visit my Blue Mountains page :o)

• Trains

• BeverlyTyler's Profile Photo

The Blue Mountains

by BeverlyTyler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Monday 23 September 2002

PHOTO: ONE OF OUR GROUP WITH THE THREE SISTERS IN THE BACKGROUND.

The Blue Mountains, actually plateaus (the Grand Canyon with trees) are covered with mostly eucalypt trees and the blue comes from the mist of oil given off by the trees. We were picked up at our B&B about 8am on Monday, 23 September by OZ TRAILS, a small tour operator that the B&B recommended. It was a wonderful and special experience. In our van were a couple from Wellington, NZ; a couple from Israel; and a couple from Florida (formerly from New Jersey). The tour guide and owner of OZ TRAILS, Nadav Hadari ("call me Dave") stopped at a park along the way to provide us with a spread of morning tea and cookies, etc. Dave was very informative and gave us a lot of interesting details, took us to places the larger tour buses could not go, as well as some of the best spots including Wentworth Falls and the spectacular Three Sisters which included a ride into a mine area and a skyride back. We had luch in a charming town called Leura and visited a national park area where we were able to see Kangaroos in the wild (lots of them) and got close to a kookaburra and a number of other native birds and animals. Dave also took us to a spot unknown to most tour operators where we saw an ancient Aboriginal rock carving of kangaroos. We were dropped back at our B&B about 6pm.

• Brit_girl's Profile Photo

Go to the Blue Mountains with...

by Brit_girl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Go to the Blue Mountains with WONDERBUS.
    They have fantastic guides who know just about everything about everything and are laid back so you can relax and have a fabulous and fun trip. There are great photo oppotunities.

On your way to the Blue Mountains you get told about the things of interest along the way and if you get Pete the guide that I got you'll definatly find out about a lot stuff (all put in an interesting way).

You stop at the olympic stadium to have a look on the way. You also go to Featherdale Animal Park which is so cool some of the Kangaroos, Wallabies, Birds etc just wander about and you can touch some of them. It's small but not too small, it's great to get to touch the animals and have you photo (with your camera) taken with a koala, kangaroo etc for free. Definatly do this bit it's worth it.

The Blue Mountains are absolutly beautiful, even if you are scared of heights (like me) it's well worth the work down, the scenery is gorgeous and to be within a forest or rainforest is just amazing.
    There is a beautiful waterfall and the story behind the three sisters (3 mountains) is definatly worth a listen.

With WONDERBUS you go to a local pub for your lunch, the food is included and is delicious. You get to experience a proper aussie pub not a touristy one.

Definatly go with these guys because I went on a trip with another company and got the most boring guide ever and it was just a stuffy tour.

This was THE BEST tour I've been on!

• Blue mountains tour in one day was the best !

by One2fancy Written Jan 21, 2011

We chose to take the Sydney tours r us trip from our Sydney hotel. It was recommenede on the Internet so we tried it and it was better than we expected for such a reasonable price.
    We got to see all the sights of the echo point and 3 sisters plus heaps of other lookouts and it also took us to the Featherdale animal park for a petting with koalas and kangaroos, this was a highlight of the day.
    We also liked being part of a snail group with just 9 others on the bus.
    Our day ended with a cruise on the river.
    It was the best $99 we have ever spent !

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Blue Mountains - explorer bus style!

by clueless83 Updated Mar 26, 2010

Skyway

We didn't bother booking a guided tour to the Blue Mountains, instead we bought a train ticket from our local station in Sydney which we then exchanged at the end of our 2 hour train journey for an 'Explorer Bus' booklet which acted as our ticket from then on.

We missed our train to the Blue Mountains by literally a minute so ended up having to wait around Wynyard Station for an hour for the next one. Do take your ipod as its a 2 hour journey and we were in a carriage with a man who sang to himself while listening to his music and reading his hymn sheet. It was pretty funny as he couldnt sing but you don't wanna be listening to that for 2hrs! What I love about Australian trains also is, you can move the back of the seats to determine which way you face in the train which I think is genius!

Anyway, once we arrived at Katoomba we caught the bus to the mountains where we trekked about between the stops. The booklet contains a map and info which is good as you might get lost! You can hop on and off the buses as you please (at the stops obviously).

I recommend the short cable car journey (Skyway) purely for the view plus you can get lunch at one of the stops, visit Echo Point (the three sisters) and if you go into Leura make sure you visit The Candy Store (Leura strand arcade) get some sweets for the journey back - i got myself some ring pops, a candy I haven't seen since I was a child!

Take your camera, wear sensible shoes and keep an eye on the time - you don't want to miss the last bus back to the station!

• Trains

• ELMinthebreeze's Profile Photo

Blue Mountain Bliss -- Best Tour Ever Taken!

by ELMinthebreeze Written Jan 30, 2010

Eucalyptus Forest

If you've got more than 2-3 days in Sydney (and, really, I'd recommend spending no fewer than 5 days there at minimum), then you should definitely take a tour out to the Blue Mountains.

There are tons of tour providers that have tours to and from the Blue Mountains from Sydney. However, I am fully convinced the one we took is the best. In fact, I'd say the Blue Mountains Tour we took with is the best guided tour we've ever taken -- and we've taken our fair share!

Yes, going through this group is more expensive. But, like many things in life, the reason it costs more is:

1. It's better quality
    2. You get more for your money
    3. Much better customer service (Mimosas in the Outback, anyone?)

You'll see (my personal fave) Featherdale Wildlife Park, a Eucalyptus Forest, stop off for lunch in the quaint town of Katoomba, take a cable care down into the rainforest in the Jamison Valley, ride the world's steepest train back up (52 degree angle!), see the "Three Sisters", have some mimosas and kick it with the wild kangaroos in the Euroka Valley, and take a 45-minute sunset cruise back into Sydney via the Parramatta River.

It just doesn't get much better than this! I'd highly recommend if you're going to do a Blue Mountains tour, take this one. You can book it through Viator.com here: http://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/Blue-Mountains-Deluxe-Small-Group-Eco-Tour-from-Sydney/d357-3898A183 (It's called the "Blue Mountains Deluxe Small Group Eco Tour from Sydney".)

YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE BIG $$$ DROPPED UP FRONT FOR A DAY YOU'LL REMEMBER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! (And, yes, I promise I don't work for this tour company! I'm just an incredibly satisfied customer.) =D

• octoberry's Profile Photo

The Three Sisters

by octoberry Written Apr 15, 2009

blue mountains

When visiting The Three Sisters, you can obviously see why Blue Mountain is listed as one of the World Heritage sites. it's amazing to see how nature can create such formations of sandstone rock.

i can walk there all day just to absorb the beautiful scenery of this national park.

• ratherboutside's Profile Photo

Blue Mountain Escape

by ratherboutside Written Feb 19, 2009

Three sisters

Saw this option on the internet before heading to Sydney but I made no plans. While walking around I stopped at a tourist kiosk and asked about tours there and found one to be very inexpensive--$60 AU. There are tons of different packages at varying prices but I opted for the cheap one. Got picked up the next morning at the hostel. One person I was talking to was waiting for a pick-up as well, but hers was in a 4wd jeep with only three others and mine was in a broken down people hauler. The guide was fantastic, very informative. I ran into the other person in the park--seems we go to the same places for different prices. I do remember there was one tour that offered extensive hiking, but I was not dissappointed as I had ample opportunity to get my heart rate up! If I ever have more time I will certainly look into an overnight and even multi day trip with lots of hiking as the area is beautiful and there are tons of trails. Plus I would have liked more time to watch the kangaroos--it was the hot part of the day and they were just chillin in the shade.

Here is a description of the last trail of the day:The Giant Stairway - Federal pass walk.

This walk entails walking down a very steep staircase of approximately 1000 stairs. The views on the way down are absolutely breathtaking. It is no surprise this walk is so famous. When you get to the bottom of the staircase your legs will almost certainly feel a little wobbly. From here you turn right and walk along an 2 to 3 kilomtere undulating rainforest pathway at the base of the cliff until you arrive at the Scenic Railway platform. This walk is perfectly suited for those that want to get away from the big crowds. It is worth keeping in mind, the best views are on the way down into the valley, as once at the bottom, you will not get too many expansive photo oportunities due to the density of the forest. After taking one more look at the Jamison valley you then catch the Scenic Railway back to the top of the valley where you meet up with the rest of the group.

Just a word of caution about this stop, you are charged extra to tram up and it is NO escape from crowds! I opted to hike down which was great and I was alone but when I reached the platform I could not even move as two full bus loads of Japanese stuffed the narrow path--I turned around and hiked back up and only saw a few brave tourists on their way down. I loved the climb but can't say everyone is as excited about exercise as I am--was the only one on my tour that attempted it.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Ride the Skyway at the Blue Mountains

by jumpingnorman Written Jan 24, 2009

My Three Sisters (I do have 3 sisters), Australia

Just 50 km west of Sydney’s city center is the Blue Mountains, a great expanse of gorges and rising high elevations, dominated by a eucalyptus forest which I think gives the distinct smell and bluish hue of the area.

My wife and I enjoyed going around this wonderful place, reveling at the wonder of the Three Sisters which was formed by the erosion of the sandstone. This is similar to the erosions that we see at the Grand Canyon, but the geography and foliage in Australia has its own unique character. I think this is also a World Heritage Site, and deservingly so.

There is wonderful Skyway that can take you on a 720 metre journey, 270m above ancient ravines and dazzling waterfalls. You are suspended over Jurassic rainforests as you glide smoothly across the sky. It has an Electro-Sceni glass floor which at the flip of a switch, breathtaking views are revealed through the cabin floor. This 360 degree bird's eye view from the Skyway takes in the Three Sisters, Katoomba Falls, Mount Solitary and the never ending expanse of the Jamison Valley.

Likewise, there is a cableway, railway and walkway! Enjoy this geographic wonder!

Instant Answers: Sydney