Featherdale Wildlife Park, Sydney

• One of the friendly 'roos wanting to check us out.
    One of the friendly 'roos wanting to...
    by EMWinterB
  • "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree..."
    by EMWinterB
    Love these fuzzy Koalas
    by LadyRVG
  • LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Featherdale

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 1, 2012

Featherdale is another Wildlife Park located outside of Sydney. The Park is a nice set up with different areas for Kangaroos, Koalas, reptiles, birds, native Australian animals, penguins and domestic farm animals.

My Husaband and I came here as part of a tour we had purchased. Thinks went very well as we walked through the park visiting the Wombats, Koalas and Wallabies until we got to the Kangaroo enclosure. The Kangaroo enclose said just that; "Kangaroo", not "Kangaroo and extremely aggressive Emus". I have a bird phobia since childhood (goose attacked me when I was two) and since then all birds freak me out that are in the wild. This park already lets the smaller birds wander free which was disturbing me enough before I came into this enclosure.

I was happily feeding a Kangaroo when out of the corner of my eye I say feather about eye level. I looked right and there was a huge Emu looking at me. Ugg!!!!!!! With that I knew I had to get out of there as my heart began to pound frantically in my chest. As I made my quick way to the exit I avoided several Emus that were running about. Just when I was almost to the exit; it was blocked, yes by an Emu. Now the adrenaline kicked in and I ran back to the entrance and ran out and quick as I could. Once outside I realized I left my poor Husband behind but I was so terrified that I was crying.

Several staff members came up to me and I explained (as Hubby emerged) that I have a terrible bird phobia and there was no posting that Emus were wandering out of the cage. They said Emus can be aggressive but there's were rather tame. Sorry not having that...a bird bigger than my husband, that can pluck out your jugular is not one that should be roaming around with kids. Every other park has them in cages...they should too here.

After gathering my composure; we sat down in the picnic area for an ice cream. I was so done with the Park after that experience.

If you're not afraid of birds; it's a lovely park with a nice array of animals. Animal encounters here are free and you can take as many pics with them as you want (Taronga park charges for animal encounters).

Love these fuzzy Koalas More hoppers about He's playing hard to get... Fuzzy little wombat Entrance Sign

• ELMinthebreeze's Profile Photo

by ELMinthebreeze Updated Apr 4, 2011

I've told three friends who have gone to Sydney after we did that if you do only one thing while in Sydney, go to the Featherdale Wildlife Park. All three of them did, and all three of them thanked me profusely upon their return! =)

If you're any sort of animal lover, or even an animal tolerator, this very special place is a must-see. At the Featherdale Wildlife Park, most of the animals are in large, almost arena-like areas that you walk in and around. You can get up close and even pet wallabies, kangaroos, and even an emu... well, I'd just recommend looking at them. Those claws are mighty intimidating!

And, although it's illegal in nearly all of Australia for anyone other than a trained professional to hold or pet koalas, the Featherdale Wildlife Park is an exception. If you go on a tour, a definite highlight of it is getting to pet a koala. (Their fur is surprisingly scratchy. Kangaroos feel like bunnies, but koalas feel like sheep!)

I often talk about "minute-before-you-die" moments. It's moments that are so touching/moving/emotional/incredible that they'll make the final reel when your life flashes before your eyes the minute before you die. Well, the baby kangaroo resting on my lap (courtesy of my time at Featherdale Wildlife Park) is definitely one of my "minute-before-you-die" moments! =D

All I can say is GO. Whether on a tour, renting a car and driving, or taking the bus route that they call out on their website, just go there. It's an experience of a lifetime -- and a very reasonably priced one at that! (As of today, it's tickets are $22 for an adult.)

A handler showing off a 1 yr. old male koala The hubby petting Kookaburra couple Hanging out with the kangaroos Yeah, that emu doesn't look
    • Photography
    • Theme Park Trips

• ratherboutside's Profile Photo

Kuddle a Koala at Featherdale Wildlife Park

by ratherboutside Updated Apr 4, 2011

Yep, it is touristy but I really wanted to see a koala and a kangaroo. I had a blast! There were lots of Australian animals--cool. The Koalas were in shaded pens without mesh or screen or bars so you could stick your head in and take a good look and one stuck its hand up to toutch mine. There is always one on "show" that you can pet although I get the feeling is their nap time and they only tolorate us toutching them because it is just too darn hot to object. Then the kangaroos...all over the place and nothing separating us from them. Buy an ice cream cone with food to feed to them--it is fun just trying to keep the birds from steeling it. There are lots of birds but the cages are huge (a great problem for birds) and bars are close spaced so taking photos is useless until you find the cockaburro sitting right there on an outside rail. It must be a rehabilitated bird that can no longer fly--I didn't ask, just took photos and starred into its huge, gorgeous, dark eyes. With shuch a short visit to Australia, this was a way for me to see the animals I would not have time to see in the wild. You get a discount if you buy the all day transportation pass. Admissions without discount is (AUD) $20.

kiss me! Very cool bird leave me alone--I'm trying to sleep. After ice cream cone....

• supercarys's Profile Photo

by supercarys Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a wildlife park where you can get up close and personal with native australian animals. You can feed a kangaroo or an emu, you can see koalas up close, it's a nice place to see the natives if you don't have enough time to get out into the wild - you might not see koalas in the wild anyway.

The prices range from $9.50 for kids to $19 for adults. Seniors and student discounts apply if you show your card.

The photo is from the Featherdale Wildlife Park webpage

My 8 year old neice Superjessie says "There are lots of birds there. There was every type you could think of. There were also reptiles like snakes and lizards and there were spiders and frogs and platypuses."

Photo from the Featherdale website

• EMWinterB's Profile Photo

by EMWinterB Updated May 30, 2009

The entire trip to Australia was fantastic. But, if I had to pick the #1 activity we did on this trip, it was going to the Featherdale Wildlife Park.

This is a sanctuary for Australian wildlife that allows tourist to interact with the animals without exploiting them. As there are minimal "cages" and far more open areas, you get to feel like a zookeeper walking around amongst the animals.

While feeding the animals and petting the koalas & other Aussie animals was fantastic, the ultimate highlight for me was quite simple. I knelt down to stick my hand out to a teenage 'roo so he'd know I was friendly. I guess he decided I smelled friendly, as he proceeded to hop into my lap like a preschool child and just hang out there.

Now, THAT'S a travel story you can take with you for the rest of your life! =)

The hubby petting a young koala One of the workers shows of One of the friendly 'roos wanting to check us out. Yeah, the emus are both amazing and creepy! LOL!
    • Photography

• mallyak's Profile Photo

Featherdale wilde life park

by mallyak Updated Sep 5, 2007

Want to see Australia's unique wildlife in a natural bush setting? At Featherdale, They have gone out of our way to create a unique wildlife experience… within the Sydney metropolitan area!
    The wildlife park allows you to get extremely close to the animals. You get to take pictures with koalas, feed kangaroos, and get great pictures of Australian wildlife.
    I have been a regular as it is just about 20 minutes by train from our house and taken so many visitors there over the last 20 years or so.

Fatty the wombat

• FleurFox's Profile Photo

Get your photo taken with a koala

by FleurFox Updated Jul 29, 2006

Alot of zoos in Australia won't let you touch a Koala or have your photo taken with one.
    At the Featherdale Wildlife Park, you can do both.
    You can also hand feed Kangaroos, Wallabies and Emus.
    There are tour operators that have special tours to this park from Sydney's CBD.
    But you can drive there if you wanted to.
    The website is: www.featherdale.com.au

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

by lesaandbill Written Jun 29, 2006

okayyyyyyyyyyy....if you're only going to be in oz for a short time...there is a possiblity you won't see kangaroos on the side of the road ,etc...so this is a fun place to go.

It's so cheeky...but it is fun b/c you actually get to learn about the different animals of australia...and you even get to pet the kangaroos and koalas...and get your pic with them.

I think it might be one of the nicest parks around...and a fun thing to do...especially with kids.

Cuddly Koalas

by bkarjee Written Mar 10, 2006

Koalas are found only in Australia and they survive only on eucalyptus leaves. They hardly drink water. They are very shy animals and are primarily nocturnal. Hence when we visited the park at 1000 hrs, they were mostly sleeping on the top of tree branches. The Park volunteers used to bring them one by one and allow the visitors to stand close to Koalas and get photographed. Uou are also allowed to touch the Koalas. Park officials were saying that they wake up at around 1500 hrs in the afternoon and hence that is the best time to see the Koalas.

Koalas in Featherdale Wildlife Park You can touch these Koalas in the Park

Featherdale Wildlife Park-2

by bkarjee Written Mar 10, 2006

The Featherdale wild life park is is popular among tourists, specially thos who want to see the popular Australian animals from close proximity. It takes around 40 mts to reach from the city centre. Those who are proceeding to the Blue Mountains can have aq break and visit this park.
    I got a chance to feed Koalas and Kangaroos from my own hands. This is quite unthinkable in most of the zoos. The feed for animals are available within the park at a modest price and even kids can feed Kangaroos under adult supervision.
    When you buy ticket (A$35 for two adults. Kids between 3 and 15 pay A$9.0), they will give you a admission and map document, where you can go on stamping whenver you see your favourite animal. The stamps are available near the animal sheds.

See your favourite animal from close distance My daughter was afraid of going very close 2 Koala

by bkarjee Written Mar 10, 2006

This wildlife park is located at North western suburb of Sydney-called Blacktown. It is close to Blacktown station. They claim to have world's largest collection of Australian native animals. The most attractive part of this wildlife park is that you can actually cuddle up to friendly Koalas and take photographs free of charge. It offers an opportunity to see 2200 animals from really close distance. You can reach up to different varieties of Kangaroos (I never knew there are so many different type of Kangaroos) and feed them from your own hands. This could be a best gift to your kids. They will enjoy every minute of it.
    They are open every day from 0900 hrs to 1700 hrs.

Featherdale Wildlife Park Children can touch and play with Kangaroos here

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Featherdale Park. Hands-on animal encounters!

by 850prc Updated Jul 21, 2005

There are quite a few wildlife parks in and around Sydney, but many people say that you should visit Featherdale if you have time for only one. It's a small park, but the animals are in good health, and you can get really up close to them. In some cases, you have the opportunity for "hands on" encounters, especially with the kangaroos and wallabies.

The park is located in a suburban area of Sydney called Doonside. You can reach easily via twice-daily hotel pickup bus tours. (Call Featherdale for info) You can also take the City rail to Blacktown, and the bus 725 to the park. Car directions are below.

We did it the easy way...... my mate Aussiedoug gave us a ride.

Got any eucalyptus, mate??

• arv1's Profile Photo

Featherdale wildlife park

by arv1 Written Jun 28, 2005

Not a great start but I don't have a clue where this was!! Why? Because we went with a tour group...so it was enroute to the Blue Mountains.

I normally hate seeing animals in zoos, as I think its cruel to lock up animals, but these animals seemed happy and it was great seeing them in their natural habitats!!

Australia is a home of many native animals that can't be found in the wild anywhere else, so visiting a wildlife park was a great choice and i dont regret it at all! I saw kangaroos, wallabys, dingos, a tasmainan devil...and loads of others too!!

mum, me and koala bear!!

• travelina's Profile Photo

by travelina Updated May 31, 2005

We visited the park as part of a day-long guided tour to the Blue Mountains. If you go without a tour group, it's better to go earlier in the day or in the afternoon before or after all the larger tour buses get there (9-11).

When you walk inside, you see the koalas (not koala "bear", just koala). You can't hold them here because most koalas become stressed out easily, and too much stress can kill them. You can, however, stand right next to them and take a photo with your own camera for free... but if you have a digital camera, don't get too close, instead stand back and use the zoom (digital camera flashes are brighter than others and zoo animals are slowly being blinded by people flashing cameras in their faces).

Once you're past the koalas, you enter the wallaby area where wallabies are hopping around freely. You can buy food and hold out your hand to feed them.

Other animals are fenced in around the path, including birds, wombats, a few cassowaries, dingos, and a crocodile that they have a presentation about and then feed.

Wombat

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Written May 7, 2005

Do you know the difference between a Wallaroo, Wallabie, and a Kangaroo? Have you ever wanted to touch a live Koala, or see what a Wombat is like? If so, definitely take an adventure out to Featherdale Wildlife Park out in the suburbs of Sydney. Sarah was greeted right away by this little "joey" here, and the rest of the park was more fun! Educational information about alligators, tasmanian devils and dingos are also available here! Make sure to get all of your animal passport stamps as you walk around, and you can even purchase some ice cream cones with food in them to feed the baby roos!

Admission fees: Adults: $18.50
    Children (3 - 15 yrs): $9.00
    Children under 3 yrs: Free with a paying adult (Excludes group bookings).
    Family Pass (2 adults and 2 children): $45.00