Harbour Bridge, Sydney

• winnietankl's Profile Photo

Harbour Bridge Climb

by winnietankl Written Jan 22, 2011

Dont miss the bridge climb when you visit Sydney. It is once in a lifetime climb. You need to make the booking first and arrive there 15 minutes prior to the schedule. I had 7.35pm climb. It took 3 hours plus for the climb but the first hour was the briefing, practising and getting to know each other. It is actually not too bad, so dont worry about the climb as i can see some elderly also enjoy it as much as they can. It is very safe and they have all the safety gear well prepare for you. I paid for AUD220 for this climb, kinda expensive and you cannot bring your own camera as well. At the end of the climb, you will get a certificate and a group photo for complimentary. Other photo cost like AUD25/pc and additional AUD10.

The view from the top of the bridge
    • Cruise
    • Beaches

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Sydney at night - simply magical

by lindyz Written Apr 18, 2010

Sydney is a very vibrant and alive City and especially at night. There is always something magical about a city that is lit up, always very pretty and awesome to look at and photograph.

Just driving through the inner city streets, down around circular quay and even underneath the Harbour Bridge is fantastic and something every tourist should do. If you can, park your car and just stroll around the Harbour foreshore, there is always something magical about a city at night with a harbour reflecting all the lights.

Huge Cruise ship in the Quay Underneath the Harbour Bridge Our Amazing Bridge at night Opera House Driving through city streets

• joshuaone's Profile Photo

Bridge is the Best Thing to Do in Sydney

by joshuaone Written Feb 27, 2010

We climbed the bridge. (we heard there were options for which way you climbed but they didn't give us an option and the only one we saw going on was the outside climb which is really the only one anyone should do). It is very expensive, but it will be the highlight of your trip. It was incredible. We also had a great guide, David, and that always does affect the excursion but everyone there seemed very friendly so I don't think you have to be concerned about that. We also received a lot better price than what was quoted online by going directly there. Keep in mind that they charge rates based on what time of day you are going. What that means is that if they consider 6:00 sunset, then you will be paying sunset rates regardless of whether the sunset is really at that time or not. We went at 7:30 and were charged evening rates but the sun didn't set until about 8:30. Also, if you are trying to calculate the time, keep in mind that you will be in prep for about an hour before you even begin the climb so take that into consideration.

Also, as many people have said, but I will say it here as well in case this is the only review you look at, they don't allow cameras on the climb. They do give you a copy of the group shot at the top, but along the way, they also take a couple shots of you and who ever you came with separate. You can then pay extra for those photos, either printed or on CD. It was $29.00 AUD for the first picture on CD and $10.00 for each picture after that. (there were only a total of four pictures to choose from, they stopped twice to take pictures and took two pictures at each stop)

In a nutshell, yes, it sucks that it is so expensive, and it sucks that you can't take your camera, especially for a picture fanatic like me, but in the end, I wouldn't have missed it for the world and will never forget it. If this is the only time you will be visiting Australia, you have to do it.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

Sydney Harbour Bridge for the not-so-fit

by sirgaw Written Oct 30, 2009

Perhaps the number one “must do” for visitors to Sydney is to walk the bridge - and for the fitter and more affluent, the famous Bridge Climb (see http://www.bridgeclimb.com/) where you can actually get to climb to the top of the famous “coat hanger.” Although I would have liked to do the bridge climb, my wife (Lady Gaw) and high places are not a good mix and she totally refused to take part.

I’m not going to repeat the many words written on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, but have placed 2 web site links on this tip for further reading. The latter link has historic photos of the bridge during construction.

We walked from Circular Quay through The Rocks and then accessed the pedestrian walkway of the bridge from the Argyle Steps (from Argyle Street) walked up a further flight of steps and then traversed the bridge to Milsons Point, where there is a shorter set of stairs back to ground level. From those steps we walked a further 1.5 kilometres to our hotel in North Sydney, although we could have accessed the train from the Milsons Point station, which is located at the northern end of the bridge, but one short hop by train is for wimps.

The view from the pedestrian walkway is breathtaking, although there is an ever-present rumble from the 8 traffic lanes and 2 train lines that cross the bridge.

The middle point on the pedestrian walkway is marked by a small wooden seat and offers the only respite on the 2 kilometre walk – and yes Lady Gaw and I did take advantage of that seat (see photo 2).

The bridge is an amazing structure and such an integral part of Sydney. I would love to have a time capsule and go back to the 1920’s and watch the construction.

Web sites for further reading:

• Hiking and Walking
    • Seniors

• clueless83's Profile Photo

The other icon of Sydney Harbour

by clueless83 Written Aug 31, 2009

While alot of people do a proper bridge climb, we just chose to walk over the bridge. It's nice to say you've walked along and you can get some good views of the harbour. We went quite late at night so we didn't bother to explore the other side of the bridge, we just walked along as a nice after dinner stroll.

Harbour bridge by day
    • Hiking and Walking

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

The Incredible Harbour Bridge

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 23, 2009

When I first saw the Harbour Bridge I thought , "Wow". The big steel structure is strangely attractive with it round semi circle curve. The brisge was opened in 1932 and was once Sydney's tallest structures. The bridge connects Sydney with the North Shore; cars, pedestrians and trains travel across this bridge every day.

Looking up at the Bridge you can see people daring to participate in the Bridge Climb under the high arches. They are braver than me...I do not like open air heights experiences and it would scare the hell out of me. Thankfully cameras are not allowed on the Climb so no fear of getting hit by a falling camera. Prices for the brisge climb vary from $188-$295 (AUD)

My First hour in Sydney in Circular Quay Unbelievable....... It really is a beautiful bridge Walking under.... View of the Bridge from Potts Point

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Harbour Bridge

by muratkorman Written May 23, 2009

If you don't take a walk in Harbour Bridge, you will miss the chance of enjoying the scene of Sydney Harbour. The fences built to avoid any suicide attempts makes you feel frustrated, but it is still very nice. If you want to do more than walking, you can climb up to the top of Harbour Bridge with Bridgeclimb tours organized daily at frequent intervals. For the fainthearted there is Pylon Lookout which offers some great scenery.

• Susumarie's Profile Photo

Make The Climb

by Susumarie Written Jan 15, 2009

This had been the very first thing we booked, and yet we still were not quick enough to get the sunset climb. It is an expensive undertaking, but definitely an experience I am happy to have been part of.
    Since we couldn't get the sunset trip, we debated whether to go for the late afternoon or night, and ended up with the late afternoon, thinking we might see some sunset that way. Now knowing how FICKLE Sydney weather is, I am SOOOO happy we took that afternoon climb, as we had had beautiful, hot sunny days until the morning of our climb (Jan. 2), which turned windy and cold. I had no feeling in my hands and feet by the time we reached the top (and I was wearing the gloves, unlike some of the "macho" men in my group).
    They start you off, suiting you up with everything you could possibly need, everything having to be clipped to you so nothing can fall on the cars below you... At one point, our guide clipped our "parachutes" to our backends; there was someone asking me how we were going to use a parachute (?) This was actually a fleece coat packed into a packet. I had that out and on by the first level.
    When you read all the warnings and whatnot, it sounds like this is going to be a killer of a climb, but there is nothing strenuous to it at all. The hardest part is getting all the gear on and walking right with it.
    Having been on the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is such a wonderful feeling, though. I have that captured forever in my mind (it is FROZEN there), and when my mind starts slipping (wait, it's already done that!) I have my picture!

At the top -- cold, but worth it! Our group -- now time to head down
    • Luxury Travel

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Harbour Bridge

by cjg1 Updated Dec 18, 2008

The Harbour Bridge is a steel bridge connecting Sydney with the North Shore. It is one of the most recognizable Sydney landmarks along with the Opera House. I like the arched steel of the bridge and thing it is quite beautiful.

It's fun to watch people walk on top of the bridge (the Bridge Walk). I could never do that, I have a fear of heights and they don't let you bring your own camera.

Harbour Bridge (2010) Liz's first trip in 2007

• DennyP's Profile Photo

CATCH A TRAIN OVER THE BRIDGE..

by DennyP Written Nov 7, 2008

A lot of friends when visiting Sydney always ask if we can cross the famous "coathanger " Harbour bridge...my advise to travellers in Sydney..get a train across and walk back.(thats the budget way).The first stop over the bridge from the city is MILSONS POINT STATION..any train going to the northern suburbs of Sydney stops at Milsons Point..when travelling across the bridge by train sit upstairs ..as the trains are "double decker" that way you will get the best view..The acess to the footpath across the bridge is easily reached by stairs outside the Milsons Point Railway Station.. The views from the bridge walkway are excellent and good photos of the Opera House , the Quay, and the cities panorama are taken from here..Also many photos of the Harbour Bridge can be taken from Milsons point also..the walkway over the bridge will take you back to "The Rocks" area of Sydney ...right by Circular Quay for train or ferry travel.
    There is a bridge walk that you can do to the top of the span...but its very expensive..

THE SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE  TAKEN AT MILSONS POINT BRIDGE ..EVENING VIEW FROM THE OPERA HOUSE.. A SHOT OF UNDER THEBRIDGE.. ONE OF THE BRIDGE SANDSTONE PYLONS.. SYDNEY SUBURBAN
    • Trains

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Updated Nov 7, 2008

This is second only to the Opera House as an instantly recognizable symbol of Sydney. There is a lookout over Sydney Harbour from the Pylon. For those looking for a more adventurous experience, you can climb the bridge up to its peak height.

Sydney Harbour Bridge Sydney Harbour Bridge Sydney Harbour Bridge Sydney Harbour Bridge Sydney Harbour Bridge

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

WORLD FAMOUS SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE

by AusPinay Updated Jul 23, 2008

Perhaps one of the most famous icons of Australia is the Sydney Harbour Bridge,a large steel arch bridge connecting the city center with the residential areas in the north. Thanks to its sheer size and beautiful location the bridge has become one of Australia's most famous landmarks.

It can be seen from many spots in the city of Sydney- Darling Harbour, Pyrmont Park, Opera House, etc, among others.

The most spectacular way to visit the bridge is the popular BridgeClimb, a three and a half hour tour with a two hour walk to the top of the arch, 134 meter above sea level. Safety precautions and instructions include a 'Climb Simulator' and a blood alcohol reading. If you do have alcohol in your blood, you will not be able to participate and you will not get another chance so make sure you get there sober. There are day, twilight and even night climbs. You're not allowed to take your camera up there! Your tour guide will take a group picture though, at a price!

The bridge cost the Australian taxpayers around $A13.5 million according to some tourist sites. The loan was finally paid off by toll fees in 1988. The toll fee is still levied, it now finances the maintenance of the harbour bridge and the construction of the harbour tunnel, built in 1992.

my family in front of iconic Harbour Bridge The bridge as seen from Pyrmont Park Bridge climbing
    • Adventure Travel

• Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge!

by xuessium Updated Jul 8, 2008

One of the 3 landmarks of Sydney - the omnipotent presence of the bridge dominates the harbour skyline. You can choose to admire from afar, or do one step better and climb up to the bridge level to experience the strong winds and enjoy the magnificent views of the Sydney Opera House and the city. If you think this is still too sedate for your satisfaction - conquer the Bridge Climb and climb to the apex of the bridge!

You can now choose 2: The more sedate Bridge Climb and the slightly more adventurous Discovery Climb (which I did) for a more thorough inspection of the Bridge structure.

RATES:
    Please check the website for the prices.

Catch a ferry, bus or train to Circular Quay. BridgeClimb is a short walk along George Street, then up Argyle Street (take the Argyle Stairs) to Cumberland Street. By car, park at Harrington Street, George Street and Argyle Street car parks.

* Climbers should plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled Climb time to check-in, as Climbs cannot be held for late arrivals.

SydneyHarbourBridge

• kelyeah's Profile Photo

Harbor Bridge

by kelyeah Updated Apr 13, 2008

The Sydney Harbor Bridge is one of the most iconic things to see in Sydney.
    Two great places to view it from are the Observation Deck in the Sydney Tower and from Circular Quay.
    Crossing the bridge by car is an experience in itself as it is a lot wider than you think and there are lanes going everywhere.
    You can also climb the bridge. I didn't do this as I didn't have enough money but I will be doing it next time I go back.

Harbor Bridge - From the Taxi Harbor Bridge - From Circular Quay
    • Architecture

• Walk and enjoy, it's free!

by jennvaz Updated Mar 30, 2008

Even if you are on a tight budget, taking a walk from the South of Sydney to the North of Sydney via the Harbour Bridge is a must for visitors. To get there by foot, head up the steps from Cumberland Street from The Rocks and walk on the eastern side. The structure of the bridge itself is facinating and various spots along the bridge provides great views of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour.
    However, on a sunny day, be adviced to bring along your sunglasses and a cap.

• Study Abroad