Museum of Sydney, Sydney

4 out of 5 stars 8 Reviews

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Museum of Sydney

by cjg1 Updated Mar 30, 2012

The Museum of Sydney is built on the site of the First Government House. Having been built on such a historical site it is only natural that the museum celebrates colonial and present day Sydney. Pictures, videos and archeological finds are housed in this museum with a large collection from Sydney’s convict era.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Museum of Sydney

by saraheg77 Updated Apr 4, 2011

My parents and I decided to see what the Museum of Sydney was all about. The lady working at the counter seemed very unpleasant, but maybe she was having a bad day. Once we got in, we went first to the 3rd floor and saw a short video on Sydney and a nice collection of pictures of the people of Sydney. There was an interesting display about Captain Cook and a small display about aborigines. The second floor contained a few other interesting displays... We enjoyed it mor since the parents got in on concession prices. :) If you like museums, you will enjoy it, but skip it if your time is limited!

Open daily 9:30am-5pm, except Christmas day and Good Friday.
    Admission prices: Members-free, General-$7, Child/Concession-$3, Family-$17

There is also a shop with the same hours as the museum and a cafe open
    Mon-Fri 7am-9pm
    Sat-Sun 9am-5pm

Peeking Dad The Museum of Sydney
    • Museum Visits

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Discover our Early History at the Museum of Sydney

by aussiedoug Written Nov 1, 2004

Today I visited the MUSEUM OF SYDNEY,
    The MOS is built on the site of the first Government House which was constructed in 1788. The beauty of this little Museum, in my opinion, is that it is so manageable. You only need a couple of hours maximum to get the best out of it.

It is on 3 levels. The ground floor, or Level 1 as it is described in the map you will be given is where you pay your entrance fee of $7. There is also the MOS shop (as all museums everywhere have) & the MOS Cafe.
    Level 2 has a great display of a number of things, but I liked the models of the 11 ships of the First Fleet best. There is also the AGL theatre which is currently running 3 films continuously thoughout the day on The Harbour Bridge, Sydney Harbour & Fort Denison. These films are not long & were all made before 1950 so show some fascinating scenes of these parts of the city from over 50 years ago.
    Level 3 has among other things, the Focus Gallery & in this was my main reason for visiting today. It is currently housing, till December 5 this year an Exhibtion entitled - "Rex & Max Dupain's Sydney. Max is quite possibly Australia's most famous photographer starting back in 1934 when it was not a glamour profession in the least.
    It was not recognised as an art form till the 1970's.
    Max was a master of "Modernism" in his photography focussing on light & form. He passed away in 1992.
    Rex, his son was a painter for many years, it would seem as a rebellion against his father's interest/passion in photography. And yet he was ultmately drawn to it & today is recognised in his own right in this field, but takes a very different approach to his father. He is much more of a pictoralist. Despite this he & his father share many similarities in the location of many of their photos. It's a great exhibition & if you get to Sydney before Dec 5 I'll hope you'll visit the MOS not just for it, but everything in this great little Museum.

I'll add a travelogue with some shots I took today.

MOS Entrance in Bridge Street

• emerald125's Profile Photo

The Museum of Sydney

by emerald125 Updated Dec 25, 2002

This smallish museum is well worth a visit if you are interested in Australia's past. There are two areas in particular that are brilliant. On the top floor is the Bond Store - an Audio visual presentation of short dramatised pieces on lots of different topics. Covers lots of different aspects of life in Sydney in the early days. On the middle floor is an area on Aboriginal Sydney that includes screenings of various short films.. there are also usually 2-3 changing exhibitions that are mostly very well done.

• tizfabius's Profile Photo

Go to at least one museum! The...

by tizfabius Written Aug 25, 2002

Go to at least one museum! The history of this place is amazing, with stories of the early settlers, the convicts from Britain, the political wranglings and the fate of the native aborigines.
    I only got to one museum and I think it was the Musuem of Sydney (I am so hopeless! what a crap memory!) but there were at least 3 others I wanted to visit, but hey! I was supposed to be working!

• Libs's Profile Photo

The Museum of Sydney

by Libs Written Aug 24, 2002

The Museum of Sydney is on the site of the original government. It has excellent exhibits about the early days of the city when it was the main outpost of the British. By excellent I mean excellent. There are many sets of drawers filled with artifacts that I spent lots of time looking over. The boat room where you watch videos of people was really cool. But my favourite part was the rotating exhibit that was there at the time I was, Metropolis. It featured artwork relating to Sydney. It included everything from original blueprints and city plans, to paintings by early explorers, to works by modern artists inspired by the city, to a slide show of every day Sydney scenes. It was so so incredible. I spent forever in there. It really made me see why so many people love the City, imperfect being that it is. I made a point of going to museums almost everywhere I went, and this was definitely one of the best, anywhere.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Site of the First Government House

by cjg1 Updated Mar 30, 2012

The first Government house was built in 1788. In 1983, the site was exposed by archaelogists and now is the site of the Museum of Sydney.

• mypriority's Profile Photo

Skeleton

by mypriority Updated Dec 26, 2003

Hiii...ii....I'm Bob and this is my lovely Doggy. I have been here in Australian Museum for ages. Pls come and visit me....erk.......

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Hotels Near Museum of Sydney
3.5 out of 5 stars