Sydney Opera House, Sydney

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Opera House

by IreneMcKay Updated Jul 15, 2013

At the Opera House.

I went into ecstatic raptures when I saw the Opera House for the first time. It was the same reaction I had when I saw the Great Wall of China. It can't be age I'm after; I must have a thing for iconic sites. I'll need to test this out by going to the Taj Mahal and the pyramids. They are on my very long to do list.

One of the great things about the Opera House is it looks different from every angle. I could never tire of it. We even went to watch a play there, which was great though it had moving pieces of scenery and they got stuck at one point, but, hey, we are in the Sydney Opera House, who cares about minor details?

The Sydney Opera House was designed by Jørn Utzon a 38 year old Dane who in 1957 won an International competition to design an opera house at Bennelong Point, Sydney.

Utzon had spectacular plans for the interior of the building, too, but did not get the chance to complete his work. In mid 1965 a new Liberal government was elected in NSW. The Minster of Works Davis Hughes began questioning Utzon's designs, schedules and cost estimates. Utzon was forced to withdraw from the project in February 1966.

The Sydney Opera House was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on October 20, 1973.
    Jørn Utzon completed other architectural projects such as the Can Lis in Majorca (1972), the Paustian Furniture Store in Copenhagen (1987) and Can Feliz in Majorca (1995), Bagsværd Church (1976) in the suburbs of Copenhagen and the parliament building in Kuwait (1983).

In 1999 after several approaches from the Australian government Utzon eventually came to Australia to see his completed masterpiece.

• Photography

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Almost Missed it

by grandmaR Written Sep 29, 2012

Of course the Sydney Opera House is one of the things one must see in Sydney. For one thing, it was made a World Heritage Site in 2007

And we did see it. We saw it first from the ferry on the day we arrived, and expected to see it on the hop-on-hop-off bus tour. But we missed it there because it had gotten dark and I was tired. So the next day I asked a taxi driver to take us to it so we could see it from close to it. And then he drove us across the harbor bridge so we saw it from over there.

We didn't check to see if there were any shows there when we were there, and I don't think we could have stayed awake for them even if there had been. We were still falling asleep into our dinner. I understand there are various tours one can take and also that there is a High Tea served there, which would have been nice and I would like to do that. But my grandchildren almost universally don't like tea and I've given up trying to take them for tea.

• Photography

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Iconic Architecture

by DEBBBEDB Updated Sep 8, 2012

Opera House from the ferry

One of the things I wanted to see was the Opera House. I got my grandmother to take a photo of me with it in the background from the ferry. But we missed seeing it on the Sydney bus tour because it was dark. So on our last day in Sydney my grandmother had the taxi driver take us there so I could get out and take photos of it.

• Andraf's Profile Photo

by Andraf Updated Feb 26, 2012

Sydney Opera House

If I were to ask people from all over to name a famous building from Sydney I'm willing to bet that 99.99% would name the Opera House. Sydney Opera House is to the city what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris, the Colloseum to Rome or the Empire State Building is to New York City. What makes the building so unforgettable is without doubt its distinct and innovating architecture along with its great location on the tip of one of the world's pretties harbors. The Opera House is the work of the Danish architect Jørn Utzon who won the competition design in 1957. Construction of the building started in 1959 and ended in 1973 and was not without controversy. The original cost estimate was $7 million while the completion date was set by the government to be 26 January 1963; in reality the building was finished 10 years later in 1973 at a cost of $102 million. Jørn Utzon ultimately resigned the project and the interior was completed by an Australian design team. The most striking architectural element is the roof, which is made of precast concrete covered in granite tiles imported from Sweden. And finally, one last piece of information, Sydney's Opera House was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2007.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

VISIT THE OPERA HOUSE

by DennyP Updated Sep 29, 2011

SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE..LOOKING FROM THE QUAY

Nearly all visitors that visit Sydney want to visit the Sydney Opera House while they are here..This wonderful piece of Architecture is a magnet for visitors..it would have to be the most photographed subject in Sydney and it is photographed from all angles to capture its uniqueness..There are just so many different things that one can do here ..Most visitors go for for a photo opportunity outside..The most popular of course is to see a show..wheather it be a cabaret, theatre, concert of classical or contemporary music..some people opt for one of the tours..or..just sit and have a coffee or high tea...I was there again recently just to find out what was on offer..and the staff were just so helpful to my needs..I thank them..
    THE ESSENTIAL TOUR..Daily..every 30 minutes between 9.00am and 5.00pm..duration 1 hour. This tour is an audio visual presentation and tells the contrevertial Opera House story..
    THE BACKSTAGE TOUR.Daily at 7am..This tour gives you access to areas normally reserved only for stars and performers..visit back stage areas and see dressing rooms etc..and includes a full breakfast in the "Green Room".NOTE...back stage tour includes 300 steps..not recommended for children under 12 years of age..ALSO NOTE..The Green Room is not open on Sundays or Holidays..only continental breakfast served at an alternative venue on these days.
    OPERA TO A TEA....How about this romantic and unique opportunity..High Tea at the Sydney Opera House is becoming a must do in the Harbour city....This is really something..They have created this "High Tea"where you are welcomed with a glass of sparkling Australian wine then presented with an assortment of beautiful teas ,exquisite savouries,pastries and petit fours..The crescendo of this afternoon is a private performance for you by an acclaimed opera singer that will leave you entranced..
    HIGH TEA..Every Wednesday2 till 4 pm..bookings at the guided tours desk and are essential ..
    ALSO ASK ABOUT THESE OTHER ACTIVITIES..THE RED CARPET..SEA AND STAGE...AND SHOWCASE..
    The Sydney Opera House is one of the buisiest Opera Houses in the world with over 1500 live performances every year.. This is really a unique building to visit and is a MUST SEE when in Sydney..There is something here for everyone ...as you can see there is just so much to see and do here.. This is a world heritage site..
    This information thanks to Sydney Opera house staff information desk.....

• rev_viv's Profile Photo

Wish we had known

by rev_viv Written Aug 13, 2011

We did the very interesting Opera House Tour and found out there are multiple theatres with lots of stuff going on. We had thought it ws only opera, so were kicking ourrselves that we had not booked to see a show there. Instead we had gone to a Chinese acrobatic performance in the city; it was good but the plays on at the Opera House sounded much more interesting. Next time we will check the website.

• arianne_1504's Profile Photo

Catch a Show at the Big House

by arianne_1504 Written Jul 24, 2011

The Sydney Opera House is a multi-venue performing arts centre conceived and largely built by Danish architect Jørn Utzon after he submitted the winning design in a competition. It finally opened in 1957.

The Sydney Opera House was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site on 28 June 2007. It is one of most famous performing arts centres in the world.

The building houses multiple performance venues and is one of the busiest performing arts centres in the world, hosting over 1,500 performances each year. Its four key residents are Opera Australia, The Australian Ballet, the Sydney Theatre Company and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

The Sydney Opera House is one of the most popular visitor attractions in Australia, with more than seven million people visiting the site each year. You can take a guided tour, but I reckon if you're going to go there, you may as well make it worth it and see a show!

There are places to eat nearby, but keep in mind that they do get busy prior to shows.

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Opera House

by stevemt Updated May 8, 2011

A must see really in Sydney, the design has always been controvertial, as are many of the decisions made during the construction.

The building is soon to be under refurbishment and apparently many of the decisions made during constructions will be corrected.

• Sydney Opera House

by grkboiler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sydney Opera House from the Harbour Bridge

This is one of the most interesting buildings in the world. It was designed by Jorn Utzon of Copenhagen, Denmark, and the roof shells were inspired by palm trees. Construction began in 1959 and was completed in 1973. The grand opening featured Queen Elizabeth II.

To really appreciate this building, you need to see it from as many angles as possible. See it from ontop of the bridge, then walk along the shore from the bridge to Mrs. Macquarie's Point (there is plenty to see along the way besides the Opera House), or a water taxi works well. It will also look very interesting when you get up close. It also looks amazing at night when it is lit up.

If looking at it is not enough, you can try to book a show on the website.

• emerald125's Profile Photo

Sydney's Icon - The Sydney Opera House

by emerald125 Updated Apr 4, 2011

From the Balmain Ferry

The Opera house was completed in 1973 and cost approx $AU 102,000,000 to build. Arguably the most famous building in Australia.

You can walk right around the outside of the building and some inside areas are open to the public. There are tours every hour and often free entertainment outdoors on the weekends.

It is sometimes possible to get cheap student tickets at the box office. There is also a place in the city called Halftix that sells tickets to preformances for that day. Their web address is www.halftix.com.au

• Sydney Opera House

by grets85 Updated Jan 13, 2011
    Sydney Opera House

It was built by a Danish architect Jørn Utzon. It's one of Australias best known icons. It houses many room and 1.2 million people visit a performance there every year. But when I first saw It to tell the truth it was a bit dissapointing as from the pictures it seems more impressive. But after a few visits I have come to love it now.

• Visiting Australia's most famous landmark

by thescene Written Oct 25, 2010

If there is one landmark that represents not just Sydney but the whole of Australia then it is the Sydney Opera House. This must see attraction was recently made a UNESCO World Heritage sight. With it's iconic design and beautiful setting it is almost a requirement for visitors to have a photo taken with the Opera House in the background. You also get to see the beautiful Sydney Harbour where you can get to snap more beautiful pictures. You can also catch a a wide array of performances from symphonies to operas in their many concert halls.

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

by ValbyDK Updated Sep 17, 2010

Sydney Opera House

The Sydney Opera House is one of the most famous 20th century buildings. Designed by Jørn Utzon and constructed under some controversy, it was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on October 20, 1973. The opening performance was Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9.

As a Dane, the Sydney Opera House is even more special because the architect was Danish. I had really great expectations before my visit, and I wasn't disappointed. The Sydney Opera House is an absolutely fantastic building with a lot of details.

We went on a one hour guided tour and had a look inside the major theatres and halls. The Concert Hall is with 2,679 seats the largest theatre, and it is here the Grand Organ - with more than 10,000 pipes - is located. Besides the Concert Hall, the Sydney Opera House has four more theatres: The Opera Theatre (with 1,547 seats) which is used by the Opera Australia and the Australian Ballet Company, the Drama Theatre (with 544 seats), the Playhouse (with 398 seats), and the Studio Theatre (with 364 seats). We also saw the architecture up close and heard the stories of the Sydney Opera House. One of many spectacular details of the opera house is the roof that is made from 2,194 pre-cast concrete sections. These sections weigh up to 15 tons each, and are held together by 350 km of steel cable. The roof weighs more than 25,000 tons and is covered with exactly 1,056,056 Swedish ceramic tiles arranged in 4,253 pre-cast lids...

You are only allowed to take photos inside the theatres when there are no actors on the stage.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Awakening of the Arts

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Wow!

Amazing structures in the highly condensed area of Circular Quay. The view of the entire city skyline with the opera house and the bridge on its edges.I was amazed to learn that it is actually several separate buildings that form the famous roof.

No matter how many times I visit Sydney; the Opera House still has an affect on me. The Opera House appears different depending on the angle and time of day. Some days it glows bright white in the sun, when the sun starts to set it can have a pinkish tint and at night is shines like the moon in a dark sky.

• Rambling_Rover's Profile Photo

Our Visit to the Opera House

by Rambling_Rover Updated Nov 14, 2009
    Looking to the North

On Saturday, October 10 we had matinee tickets to see Gibert & Sullivan's 'The Mikado' at the Sydney Opera House. We took a lot of pictures outside and inside at the wine bar. This was my first ever experience with a live Gilbert & Sullivan performance and it was indeed memorable and wonderful. We had a few drinks before the performance and during intermission so we had even more fun! Afterwards we visited their gift shop and found a nice Christmas Ornament for our tree this year.

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Hotels Near Sydney Opera House
4.5 out of 5 stars