Symbio Wildlife Park, Sydney

• Symbio Wildlife Park
  • golfeiros's Profile Photo

Sydney Aquarium

by golfeiros Written Feb 7, 2013

Recently, we went on an excursion to the Sydney Aquarium. Therefore we started at the corner of York St and Market St, where usually many people are walking around. Between the crowds we walked towards the direction of Darling Harbour, a perfect place to spend a relaxing summer afternoon. As soon as we arrived on Pyrmont Bridge we used the stairs for a quicker access to the opening. This is where we discovered some exciting tourist attractions.
    At first impression the entrance was completely painted in blue. This gave us a touch of sea life. Stepping in, our group was stopped by a photographer. He wanted us to stand together to get some shots. We were wondering why he wanted this. The result of this photo session would be shown to us at the end of the exhibition.
    Entering the first area, the platypus was bluffing with his duck-billed, beaver-tailed, otter-footed outlook. Did you know that this animal is the emblem of New South Wales? We followed the footprints until we found the next astonishing Australian sea attraction – a dugong, also known as ‘the siren of the sea’ which looks like a submarine with a vacuum cleaner like mouth. The animal keeper explained to us that dugongs eat every ten minutes a bundle of lettuce. The female weights about 300kg, usually more than the male.
    For me the shark tunnel was the most fascinating feature of the aquarium - an enormous water tank. At least ten sharks were housed here. We walked more than 25 meters through this tunnel, and then we returned through a second tunnel which was followed by oversized aquarium windows. More than three of these windows featured this terrific area.
    Finally we passed the souvenir shop, where I bought a postcard for my grandmother. She likes receiving postcards from me. Exiting the exhibition our photo was ready to buy. The pictures showed us pointing towards a penguin and also standing between a pack of hungry sharks.
    A fascinating end to the school day!

• Theme Park Trips
    • Aquarium

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Symbio Wildlife Park

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 1, 2012

Feeding some furry friends

Symbio is hands down my favorite animal park in the Sydney and surrounding area. Our friends Jackie suggested we come here for a visit with her and I'm so glad we did. Yes, Toronga Park is lovely with great city views and really done up exhibits but I loved this place's simplicity. Here it's all about getting up close to the animals and learning more about them.

During our visit I got to feel a Koala, feed some adorable bouncy kangaroos, watch a salty crock get fed a live chicken (very gross indeed but the hubby loved it), learn about the ever dwindling and sick population of Tasmanian Devils, pet some snakes (Hubby wasn't doing that; probably reminds him of some people he used to know), see the lazy llamas baking in the sun and some seriously cute Red Pandas.

What I loved the most that day was the Kangaroos. They are kept in their own enclosure in the park. You are free to enter as you wish and enjoy feeding and petting this adorable and fuzzy kangaroos. Some were more friendly that others; probably depending on their hunger and desire to be fed. We had some very friendly little ones that hopped after Jackie and I ; longing for another ear rubbing. Sooo cute; I just loved it.

Prices are comparable to other parks at $24 each for an adult ticket. I think it was definitely worth it for the fun time and information we gained on the animals.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Symbio Wildlife Park

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Liz feeding a Kangaroo

Symbio is a wonderful Animal Park that was recommended by my friend Jackie. Surprisingly most people from Sydney have no idea it existed when we mentioned it. Jackie volunteered to take us to Symbio on a Sunday.

Symbio is an awesome yet small park. There is a variety of animals, Koalas, Kangaroos, Llamas, Emus, monkey, crocodiles, various birds, wombats, Tasmanian Devils, red pandas, snakes, lizards and more.

One of the favorite experiences in the park was feeding the Kangaroos. Liz, Jackie and I had a fun time feeding the kangaroos and watching them hop all over the enclosure. The Kangaroos were quite tame and friendly. We just held out our palm filled with food and they licked it up; which was a rather weird feeling.

The Koalas were stinky as expected but we wanted to see the, The trainer coaxed a Koala out of the tree for us to pet which would have been better if the Koala didn't poop constantly.

The crocodile feeding was rather interesting with the crocs jumping out of the water to get their food.

We went to the reptile show which wasn't too bad until they started passing around snakes to the crowd. I hate snakes....

Symbio was a fun experience and I am glad Jackie too us there. Liz loved feeding the kangaroos and fell in love with the sleepy Red pandas.

Instant Answers: Sydney