Taronga Zoo, Sydney

• Taronga Zoo
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Taronga Park Zoo

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 5, 2015

The Zoo is one of the major tourist attractions in Sydney. The best way to get there is by ferry from Circular Quay. Once you arrive at the ferry landing on Mosma, take the tram up to the Zoo. You get a bird's eye view of the park and of Sydney Harbor.

I must say I was a bit disappointed with the Zoo. It was undergoing major restoration/construction and many of the exhibits and animals were not available for viewing. We were lucky enough to meet a travel writer who was staying at our hotel who gave us free passes to visit the Zoo. The free passes made up for any dissappointment as the entrance to the Zoo is a bit on the pricey side.

We did enjoy what little animals there were to see. One of the reasons why I wanted to visit the zoo was to see the koalas and kangaroos. You're allowed to be photographed with the koalas but you are not allowed to touch them.

This particular Koala had a joey in her pouch.

The koala area is located upon entering the park.

Make sure to take in one of the many bird and seal shows given throughout the day.
    Showtimes are posted along the park and can also indicated on the park map.

The zoo is open everyday of the year including Christmas Day. The price of admission is $46 for Adults and $26 for children (4-15) and is open from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm.

Koala with joey Giraffe Red Panda Gorilla Kangaroo
    • Photography

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

1974 Visit

by DEBBBEDB Written Aug 9, 2013

Friday morning after the tour of Sydney, we took a ferry to the zoo. We saw a wombat nest, a Brolga (an Australian crane), and a Jabira (the only native Australian stork

My grandmother said she was disappointed that the platypus house was closed that day (Friday) and she wasn't impressed by the koalas, but thought the camels and giraffes were beautiful.

The zoo is still there and is open seven days a week

Daily Admission

Adults $44
    Children (4-15 years) $22
    Children (under 4) Free

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Written Jul 15, 2013

This zoo is located on an island. We bought a boat ticket that would take us to Watson's Bay where we had a walk around then fish 'n' chips from the famous Doyles Restaurant. Then same ticket to the zoo.

There are, of course animals from all over. Giraffes heads with the Sydney skyline in the background are pretty impressive, but it was the Australian animals we had come to see. A difficult to find (but we spotted him in the end) duck billed platypus, sleepy koalas, lively echindas, a dingo, exhausted kangaroos.

It was very enjoyable.

Is it time to get up yet? Help! how do I get down? Pensive dingo. The echindas were my favourite.
    • Photography

• Jeanling's Profile Photo

Kangaroos, Wombat and Tasmanian Devil!

by Jeanling Updated Jun 20, 2013

Taronga Zoo is HUGE and we did not manage to cover the whole of the zoo's ground during our one day visit. So instead we put our focus on Australian fauna. We did not really plan ahead and I feel that one can get more out of the visit at this zoo if you did.

One can witness a spectacular view of Sydney Harbour and the CBD from the zoo - The picture that was taken and shared here were from the the pathway from the exit of the amphitheater.

Sleeping Tasmanian Devil Exotic Emu View of Sydney Harbour and the CBD Shy koala

• hennanights's Profile Photo

Go ape at the zoo

by hennanights Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Gorillas exhibit at Taronga is large, full of climbing apparatus and the Gorillas seem very much at home. At lunch time the apes come inside for their daily behaviour conditioning. The keepers go through a daily routine of movements that are rewarded with food. This allows the keepers to do regular heath checks. The apes involvement in these exercises is voluntary. They can choose not to do it but of course the food rewards are tempting. While the gorillas are inside you can view them on the TV outside the enclosure. Just before they are let out the keepers spread food throughout. The gorillas come running out to grab their share. Its quite funny to see the little ones filling their arms with carrots and cabbages.

• hennanights's Profile Photo

One gorilla or two

by hennanights Updated Apr 4, 2011

Yet another photo opportunity I couldn't pass up. Luckily these two statues of gorillas were not the only ones at the zoo. The gorilla enclosure boasts a fine family of gorillas who didn't mind hamming it up in front of the glass partition. My daughter and I watch with awe as they acted out routines that could be seen in the average human family. A large mother sat breastfeeding a little one. She gentle stroked his face when he fell asleep to coax him back to feeding. A toddler ventured close being rowdy and the mother pull him away with a stern look.
    Kibabu, the silver-back born in 1977, is the head of the family . He has 3 females Mouila, Kriba and Frala. He has offspring from all 3 girls.

• namidub's Profile Photo

by namidub Updated Apr 4, 2011

Get a glimpse of animals only found in this great country.Amongst the famous not to be missed - kangaroos,koalas,wallabies, emus,wombats,platypus,tazmanian devils and more!
    Spend a day or so in this zoo to get to know more bout these animals.

To go there :

Get yourself a zoopass at the wharf (Circular Quay).
    The pass includes return ferry trip to Taronga Zoo,transfer bus to the gate,the Sky Safari cable car and zoo entrance fee.
    Adult $37 Child $20

For timetable go http://www.sydneyferries.info/timetables/

The land of Kangaroo Lovely Koala Emu Baby Wombat

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Toronga Park

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Taronga Park is one of the several animal Parks in the Sydney area and one of my favorites. he park is a nice ride by ferry from Circular Quay. After disembarking the ferry either a bus or sky tram will take you to the park entrance. I would suggest coming her early in the morning to beat the heat and the crowds. We arrived right as the park opened and we had a small amount of people in the park with us (until the school children arrived as we were leaving).

Taronga Park has an a large collection of animals from around the world as well as Native Australian species. The park also has animal encounters experience where you can have your picture taken with a Koala but no touching. Liz and I did this during our 2007 trip but passed on this last visit in 2010 (the last time a Koala tried to climb Liz so she opted out this time). The zoo has a well put together exhibits such as the koalas, kangaroos, giraffe, meerkats, mountain goats, gorillas, bears, lions and red pandas.

As usually most of the Koalas were asleep except for a few trying to get fed. The Meerkats were hyper and running about their enclosure. The Red Panda actually decided to wake up for a picture unlike our last visit where he played camera shy.

The views of Sydney Harbour are incredible from Toronga. I always find it amazing to see the city skyline behind the head of a giraffe. This is always a fun place to spend the day and enjoy the animal exhibits.

Meerkat Liz and I with Fuzzball (2007) Koala Seals (2010) Red Panda (2010)

• Taronga Zoo

by oznztofro Written Jun 27, 2010

Go out & get the ferry to mosman & spend a day with the Animals in Taronga Zoo

When you land in the zoo entrance from the ferry you wil be hoisted up into a cable car that will take you to the top of the zoo

Taronga zoo is a really large zoo they have Animals from all over the world. Koala to cuddle & get your photo with them, insects to see, marine life to observe, Shos to watch, & some great views of sydney

Its around $39 for an Adult but discounts do apply to Pensioners,Students

• Aquarium

• Wildlife Parks - Kola's Inparticular

by myshell... Written May 20, 2010

You could try Taronga Zoo, or a cheaper option would be Featherdale Wildlife Park in Doonside (western sydney), which is about a quarter of the cost of Taronga and has a special Kola viewing area where you can get up close and personal.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

by clueless83 Updated Mar 21, 2010

Perhaps the most well-known zoo in Sydney is Taronga Zoo.

The highlights of the zoo for me personally were:
    * the enclosure with roaming wallabies and an emu (see my photos),
    * watching a keeper feed the beautiful birds,
    * the elephant "show" (wasn't really a show but they looked so happy squirting water at their keepers),
    * the view from the giraffe enclosure
    * and seeing a random kookaburra (I spooked some random people by tiptoeing over to their picnic table and snapping photos of the kookaburra that landed behind them, they did soon join in with me though!).

I found the koalas, perhaps one of the main attractions at any Australian zoo, disappointing. I know koalas sleep 21 hours a day but I had a much better experience of them in Port Douglas.

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time as we ran out of time to go on the cable car and I think we may have missed a couple of the animals.

Taronga Zoo is a great day out and if you're like me you will be surprised at how small a platypus is and how big a wombat is!

Zoo is open 9am - 5pm and tickets are around $41 for an adult.

Sleeping wallaby My boyfriend taking a photo of an emu Wild kookaburra The giraffes and their scenic backdrop
    • Aquarium

• gdaysydneysider's Profile Photo

Fish Markets, the Zoo and surfing at Bondi

by gdaysydneysider Written Jul 30, 2009

Check out the Sydney Seafood School at the Fish Markets - you watch an instructor cook a feast of food, then break into groups and learn to cook it all yourself. Great way to experience fresh seafood in Sydney.

Agree with Taronga Zoo, you can't miss that! Also if you're going to learn to surf anywhere, Bondi is definitely the place. Big Wave Dave says he has a 90% success rate in getting his students to stand on their first lesson.

Surfing on Bondi with Big Wave Dave Seafood Cooking School Feeding the giraffes at Taronga Zoo
    • Surfing

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Toronga Park: An Incredible Day at the Zoo

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 28, 2009

Taronga Park is where i wanted to visit on my Birthday in Sydney. Chris and I hopped on a ferry from Circular Quay to the Zoo. The ferry left us off at the pier and we had the option of taking a bus or a sky tram to the Zoo. The bus line was shorter so we hopped on board the bus for a short five minute ride up the hill to the zoo entrance. I coul;d hardly wait to see the Koalas that I had been so eagerly anticipating since we arrived in Sydney.

Taronga Park has an unelievable collection of animals from around the world as well as Native Australian species. Our first stop in the zoo was to experience an Animal Encounter with a Koala. We waited in line and enjoyed watching some of the Koalas sleep and get fed. Our turn came fast and we took a picture with a cute little Fuzzball that decided he wanted to "eat" my head. It turns out my shampoo had australian Aloe and was atrating the little guy for a closer inspection. Thankfully a trainer came and scoped him up before the claws reached my head.

The zoo was a fun day of taking in the animal exhibits and the great views of Sydney Harbour. some of my favorite exhibits were the koalas, kangaroos, giraffe, meerkats, mountain goats and red pandas. It was a fun adventure and a perfect way to spend my birthday morning/afternoon.

Chris and I with

• dgines's Profile Photo

by dgines Written Jun 30, 2009

Want to see unique creatures from Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific? Then the Taronga Zoo is the place for you. I saw it all except the elusive platypus.

Zoo entry plus Round Trip Fare on the Ferry is $48 AUS.

You can also get a water side view of the opera house on the ferry ride to/from the zoo.

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Visit Picturesque Taronga Zoo

by lindyz Written Jun 9, 2009

A very pleasant day out will be had by all at Taronga Zoo, although I do warn you that there is a lot of walking involved and a lot of hills also! So ... get your walking shoes on!!!

Taronga Zoo is situated across the Harbour Bridge and directly opposite the City/Opera House. It is on Bradleys Head Road at in the leafy elite suburb of Mosman. It is only a 12 minute ferry ride from the City, and this is probably the easiest way to get there, saves you driving and parking your car.

There is just so much to see and do here, you could easily spend a few days. There are animal presentations and shows, guided tours or you can even arrange an overnight stay at the Zoo, giving you an entirely different perspective of animal life at night and all the noises etc.

There are also several viewpoints from where you can take the BEST photos of Sydney from, you can get an idea from the Giraffe picture. BY THE WAY ... did you know that the Giraffe has the highest blood pressure of any animal??? Did you know why??? Well, obviously cos it has to pump the blood all the way up its long neck to its head!!! That was obvious wasnt it! Funny, that was a trivia question many years ago and my hubby Frank was the only one who knew that answer - isnt he clever!

The Giraffe enclosure with Sydney skyline behind Wrestle a Croc!! Not a real one! Watching a funny seal show Elephant enclosure Very amusing meerkats

Instant Answers: Sydney