Tourist Attractions in Sydney

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Sydney

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Booking traps Qantas-Jetstar

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Jun 3, 2015

Be aware that when you book on a domestic flight with Qantas you may actually be taking Jet Star and not Qantas as they are Business linked to each other Qantas is the mother company and Jet Star is the cheaper airline they link for domestic flights when you book in. There is no free refreshment on Jet Star and ordering a can of soft drink could cost 3 times the price. While Qantas everything is free including the meals but the cost of the flight is higher.

I was booked for a Qantas Airline on a domestic flight to Brisbane from Sydney but I changed my destination to Gold Coast by phoning Qantas as it is already after hours. The staff on the phone assured me that my flight has been changed and nothing else to do after being deducted from my credit card and other matters and I was told that I will be taking Jet Star instead from Sydney to Coolangata Airport in Gold Coast.

Now this was the most terrible part that happened few days ago. When I arrived Sydney domestic and checked in at Jet Star . They told me my name is not on the list of passengers and I have to pay 3 times the cost of the return if I want to board that flight as they still got vacant seats. I was rattled and shocked and I said excuse me I already paid with my credit card and my flight reference number with my name on it I checked on their internet website and it say so I am still booked in the night before.

I said I booked in with Qantas who told me that I will be boarding Jet Star instead and not Qantas, but the Jet Star check in staff refused to check me in and stared with annoying look at me and told me to contact Qantas and ask me to produce a payment of receipt that I am booked in for this flight. And was told straight forward that as far as they know I am not on the passenger list. After a lengthy explanation of more than an hour and tried to composed my self they finally agreed to contact themselves Qantas to find out if what I was telling them was true.

The Jet Star staff was so mad and annoyed becuz Qantas hold him on phone que for extra half hour and that long he was holding the phone. To cut the story short. I was told that Qantas has a computer problem on the day that I called them to change my flight and unable to link their booking for me to Jet Star and that they were calling my mobile but I was not answering so they decided to cancel my flight. What a joke I said why did'nt they send me an email if so that they have a computer booking problem with Jet Star and why was it my reference number and name still appearing the day before on the booking website?

The very angry Jet Star attendant was told by Qantas to put me in on that flight at no cost as they found out that I already paid by credit card.

Chinggis K

Unique Suggestions: Make sure you're flight changes is confirmed by email and keep a payment receipt with you of transaction as proof

• authoress's Profile Photo

Getting Your GST Back

by authoress Written Jun 21, 2007

Not really a trap but keep in mind that in order to get your GST back (Goods and Services Tax) you have to spend at least $300.00 in one store. I did this and had various receipts because I went back more than once. However when I got to the airport and presented my receipts, I was told that it had to all be on one receipt! They told me I could contact the store and have them send me another receipt with all the items on it and then re-submit the claim which was about $40.00 but of course by the time you get home, you tend to forget about it or you lose the receipts! So just be sure to get everything on one receipt to begin with! And of course hotels and restaurant bills don't count!

• joleson's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe - Not worth your time

by joleson Written Feb 11, 2007

I've been at Hard Rocks in *Many* cities around the world and I was least impressed by this one. It was hard to find and in a wierd place in town. It wasn't really by anything else. There was a cool car shop near by, but nothing of what you'd expect.

Unique Suggestions: I got the T-shirt since I searched it out, but was a bit embarrased I had dragged my dad around for 30 mins looking for it. (It's on a side street, not on the corner or the main street) Ask around if you need to. I was suprised how many in the neighborhood DIDN'T know where it was.

Fun Alternatives: I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives, but if you have to. Just ask around don't get upset when it's not where the map says it is.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad
    • Singles

• plant_girl's Profile Photo

Hotel Internet

by plant_girl Written Apr 29, 2006

Ok - so it is the same the world over. DON'T use the hotel internet - especially at the big, flash hotels. They were going to charge about $10 Australian (because I wanted to look at a NZ site). So I walked 100 metres down the road and found an internet cafe where it cost me 20 cents!!

Unique Suggestions: If you have to - at least check how much it costs before-hand and be aware about it

Fun Alternatives: Suggest you find an internet cafe instead!

• Luxury Travel

• Gwenivere's Profile Photo

Absolutely none

by Gwenivere Written Mar 22, 2005

I have travelled to many countries around the world and I can easily say I experienced the least troubles in Sydney than I even experience in my home in London. Everyone is so helpful and so friendly. The one thing was that whenever you think about Sydney beaches the first beach that comes to mind is Bondi. If you would like to escape the masses of tourists try the Northern Beaches e.g. Palm Beach, Whale Beach or Avalon or the Southern Beaches such as Coogee or Bronte.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Sydney Backpackers - Wilmot St (off George St)

by Kate-Me Written Oct 8, 2003

From a spiel in a backpacker magazine that made it sound great, we pre-booked Sydney Backpackers for 3 nights in a 4 bed dorm, Oct 2003.
    I'll give its good points first: very close to Town Hall train station and George St (almost right next door to both a bar and a supermarket, so handy for that too), and right in the centre of Sydney - but that was also a bad point, because it was very noisy, all night long. Dorm size was ok, with free locker as advertised (yes, free, but you had to buy the lock for it!) and cable tv in each room (ok unless you're trying to get to sleep late at night).
    Wilmot St looks ok on a map, but it's really just a bit of a dirty alleyway, and the backpackers is directly opposite a big bin dumping off depot...so trucks going back and forth all night too.
    Worst points of the hostel: we were on the 1st floor and there was no hot water, as far as I know, for the whole time. We asked them to see about it, but after a while, stopped bothering to test the water again when we couldn't tell the hot tap from the cold water!
    Could have showered on the 2nd floor, but all bathroom door locks smashed and facilities in bad condition. 1 Toilet just overflowed onto the floor.... Kitchen: ok condition but so tiny it will hold only 3 people at a squeeze (and that's for 3 whole floors of the building to share!). 1 stove, 2 toasters, and a tiny toaster oven and that's it. TV/dining area is a better size.
    Rooftop bbq area advertised in ad: it's very bare and just an open space covered by green carpet looking onto top of awful buildings. Definitely not a night spot. I won't mention the dorm room bedding because pillows & sheets seem to be often bad at backpackers - nothing new. One guy in our dorm had been in Sydney only 3 days but already moved 3 times from Backpackers he didn't like....don't know why he didn't move out of ours too!
    There's a note in the kitchen that asks guests to email feedback to lonelyplanet and Lets go if they enjoy their stay.....hehehe they'd have to be lucky!!

Unique Suggestions: We tried to stay away from the backpackers as much as possible and only be there late at night. We decided we didn't want cold showers so just didn't shower until we got back home.

Fun Alternatives: If it hadn't been such a nuicance and time so short, I would have just moved to a hotel, no matter what the cost, for some peace and quiet and a little sleep.
    Y on the Park near Central Station is supposed to be a good hotel/hostel all in one, but it was booked out, sadly.

• Trains

• rozehill's Profile Photo

Sydney Harbour Bridge is the...

by rozehill Updated Mar 5, 2003

Sydney Harbour Bridge is the world's largest (but not longest) steel arch bridge, and, in its beautiful harbour location, has become a renowned international symbol of Australia.
    It's total length including approach spans is 1149 metres and it's arch span is 503 metres. The top of the arch is 134 metres above sea level and the clearance for shipping under the deck is a spacious 49 metres. The total steelwork weighs 52,800 tonnes, including 39,000 tonnes in the arch. The 49 metre wide deck makes Sydney Harbour Bridge the widest Longspan Bridge in the world. Just massive.

Magnificent sight
    • Windsurfing

• Skylink's Profile Photo

Fox Studios might be...

by Skylink Written Aug 26, 2002

Fox Studios might be considered a tourist trap because there doesn't seem to be too much there that is unique to Australia. There aren't that many restaurants or shops. There was a private party at the Hordern Pavilion and Royal Hall of Industries when I was there but it wasn't too unusual. I did win a bunny at the shooting gallery and a penguin at darts so I shouldn't complain.

• miaou's Profile Photo

FOX STUDIOS. The southern...

by miaou Written Aug 24, 2002

FOX STUDIOS. The southern hemisphere version of Universal Studios. It's great that Sydney is becoming intertwined with Hollywood with productions like Babe 2 and MI2. Unfortunately, this attraction doesn't allow you to see the actual shooting of movies. Their Titanic ride is over-rated and other entertainment features are just as bland. You could make better use of your AUD $38 (US$25)in other places.

• Gwynneth's Profile Photo

Leaving your Sydney pocket...

by Gwynneth Written Aug 25, 2002

Leaving your Sydney pocket sized map (that they hand out at the airport) in your hotel room and needing to know where to meet someone after you're miles away!! Don't you hate that??

Sydney Hotels

Latest Sydney Hotel Reviews

Metro Hotel Sydney (300 Pitt Street.)
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific Sydney
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Sydney Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sydney locals.
Map of Sydney