Airways / Airports, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

From the airplane
    inside the terminal
    Waiting for the plane
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Sydney Airport

by grandmaR Written Sep 1, 2012

Sydney Airport

We arrived in Sydney by plane once and departed from Sydney twice. Each time we flew QANTAS and each time I asked for wheelchair assistance.

We arrived early in the morning after an overnight flight from LAX. When we disembarked, one of the flight attendants was wheeling my 'wheelchair' and then she handed over to another lady who was dressed just the same and seated me in what looked like a scooter without a steering column. And I must say she had a terrible time with going around corners. I changed some more money and we went through customs and immigration. the wheelchair lady went in the express line each time. Getting our luggage the Luggie came out first and the lady started piling things on a cart. None of the rest of the luggage came for a long time, but eventually we got it all and it was all put into the taxi

Three days later we went to Perth. When we got to the airport the taxi driver unloaded the bags, and I went looking for my wheelchair. I had to walk across the airport to get to the wheelchair place and then someone had to bring all the bags to the oversized luggage which was where the wheelchairs were. They tried to get luggage tags but their computer was frozen and just would not do it. So the man there wheeled me in the wheelchair with the luggage except for the scooter bag, and checked the bags in and got us boarding passes there. Then we went back to put the tag on the scooter bag. Then he said that if my granddaughter would push, we could go to the gate and wait. So we went thru security and then had to go through an extensive maze of duty-free shops.

Apparently I had packed the computer too tightly to get it out of the bag, but we didn't have to take our coats off or our shoes off and we could take liquids through with no problem. After she pushed me to the gate (gate 10) she left to go buy a donut, I ate the sandwich. She came back with a frosty for her and a donut for each of us. We boarded the plane. The flight was 5 hours and we left at 10:15 and got there at 12:45 because Perth is in a different time

When we got back to the Sydney airport to fly back to LAX, the taxi driver put us out on the curb and sent my granddaughter to get a wheelchair. In the meantime I got a smart cart and put two of the bags on it. She came back with the chair and we got another cart for the Luggie and the other bag. The machine only took bills ($5.00) and gave us $2.00 change in coins. My granddaughter pushed the wheelchair and the wheelchair man pushed the bags. We checked in, but I did not have the flight number for the AA flight to Ft. Lauderdale written down on the e-ticket for Qantas, so they said we couldn't check the bags through. And I knew we'd have to retrieve them in LAX anyway to go through customs.

The wheelchair guy let us have the chair to go to the gate waiting area (we couldn't go all the way to the gate yet as they were using it for other things). She went and did some more shopping - she used up her Australian money and some of mine, and did not cash the rest of her traveler's checks. She also changed almost all of the Australia cash back to US (except for about $25.00 that hid and so didn't get changed) and we got something more to eat. While she was doing that I retrieved the flight information from my computer for the next flight - the airport had free wi-fi. Then she pushed me down to the gate

• Disabilities
    • Cruise

Quantas Lounge - Domestic Terminal

by cjg1 Updated Mar 13, 2012

The Qantas Club in the domestic terminal is your standard Qantas Club. The coolest feature about it is they have a newsstand inside the club. A close second for cool feature, they have an APM. An Automatic Pancake Machine. No kidding. And the pancakes were pretty good after waking up at 4am to get to the airport for a morning flight.

As with any decent club you will have access to cleaner toilets, free beverages and enough food to tide you over.

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Sydney Airport Link Train to City

by cal6060 Updated Jul 16, 2011

Sydney Airport Link

Sydney Airport Link is not part of Sydney Rail System. If you are using the Multilink Pass, you need to pay gate fee in order to use the Airport Link to go to the City.

It depends how long your travel and whether you have a multilink ticket with you:

Without Multilink Pass:

Airport Link's trains will cost each way:

Adult Single $15.00 AUD

With Multilink Pass, Gate Pass costs:

Adult Single $11.80 AUD
    Adult Return $18.60 AUD
    Adult Weekly Major $18.00 AUD

For other fare, please check on their website.

For me, I stayed in Sydney for 6 day including my trip to Blue Mountains. I bought Multilink 3 + Adult Weekly gate pass: Total: $57 + $18 = $75. $75 is my total cost of public transportation for 6 days including in/out of Airport. For gate pass, instead of paying $11.80 each, I paid $9 each way. Save $$

You can buy both multilink pass and gate pass at the airport train counter.

• Trains

• arianne_1504's Profile Photo

Airport COnnect

by arianne_1504 Written Apr 12, 2011

I suppose this is a good cheap way to get to and from the airport ($10 each way), but I would probably just take a taxi next time. The buses are quite small and squashy (noticing the same sort of buses at Perth Airport they looked a lot bigger and newer), they are hard to get in/out of for older people. They seem to travel around the city about fifteen times to drop off/collect people. The 'gentleman' I spoke to on the phone was extremely rude and the bus I took on the way to Sydney Airport, sounded as if it hadn't been serviced in a long time with great big squealing breaks whenever he went to stop, he wasn't a very good driver either racing up behind other vehicles and then slamming on the breaks.

If you're looking for a cheap option, then I guess this is it, but I would just pay the extra next time.

• Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport

by thescene Written Oct 6, 2010

Named after a pioneer Australian aviator, the Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport is Australia's busiest airport. Parts of the terminal have been renovated primarily to help passengers who might have a long layover in between flights. The shopping area offers a varied shopping experience for people might want to buy a list minute gift. There is also an extensive array of restaurants to cater to different tastes.

The immigration & customs staff may seem intimidating at first but they are actually quite helpful. Just be sure to answer truthfully and declare all items on your customs form and you should be alright.

The best way to travel to and from the airport will depend on how big your group is how much luggage you have. If you have a big group it would be better to take a cab as this would be cheaper. Smaller groups have the option of taking the Airportlink rail system which would be more economically. You do need to take into consideration that the system is not exclusive to people coming to and from the airport so the trains could be crowded with people commuting to and from work.

Qantas

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Liz reading her Hello magazine

Qantas is always an excellent flight. The staff is excellent, the food is good and they keep you entertained. Our first flight with them was a pleasure even with the long flight time; we just enjoyed some wine and watched movies. So far it is still the fairly roomy Boeing 747-400 that runs the route between Sydney and New York. In time I expect this to be upgraded to the A-380 although that will not happen until after September 2010 at the earliest due to limitations at JFK.

SYD - Kingford Smith

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

This will almost always be your gateway into Sydney.

Not a super airport but it is good for what it does.

Plenty of shopping and you can pick up a SIM for your mobile before heading into town upon arrival.

The both the domestic and international terminals are connected to City Rail by the now private airport line. Not only will you need a ticket for the train, you will pay a surcharge to enter or exit airport stations.

• ashipway's Profile Photo

Travel from Sydney airport to City

by ashipway Written Jun 15, 2008

Hi,

Try this site and complete the "Plan Your Trip" section. Not too many options from around 11:30pm to 4:00am

Also see this site for other options

Cheers :-)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Kingsford-Smith International Airport (SYD)

by ATXtraveler Written Jan 5, 2008

If you are flying into and out of Sydney, likely your journey will begin and end in the terminal of Kingsford-Smith International Airport. It is located south of downtown Sydney, with about a 20 minute cab ride into the downtown area.

International service is available from Sydney to a large amount of the world, serviced by the following airlines:

AR Aerolineas Argentinas +61 2 9234 9000
    ZG Viva Macau 1300 848 262

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Domestic Airlines.

by Openseas Written Sep 19, 2007

All our Domestic Airlines depart from Sydney Domestic Airport located at Sydney's Kingsford Airport.

Our Domestic Airlines are:

www.qantas.com.au
    www.Jetstar.com.au
    www.virginblue.com.au

The cheapest being Jetstar and Virgin Blue.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• Assenczo's Profile Photo

Airport shuttle tour of Sydney

by Assenczo Updated Sep 19, 2007

There is a shuttle bus service at the Sydney airport. The price is right, the delivery is "door-to-door" and on top of this they provide you with a free welcome city tour of Sydney. The later you are on the drop-off list the more you see of the city. Go for it!

• authoress's Profile Photo

Cab to airport from Central Train Station

by authoress Written Jun 21, 2007

If there are two or more people, go ahead and take the cab ride to the airport from Central. The train ticket will cost you $12.00 each and the cab was $23.50. It saved having to lug our bags around and having to take the crowded train.

• cheerssweetie's Profile Photo

Taxi approx $20
    Bus every 20-30 mins $8 adult, $4 child
    Trains from airport depart 4-15 miins weekdays, 9-19mins weekeneds
    Fares $11 adult, $7.60 child
    Parking is also available at airport.

Please note these prices are relevant at time of posting 07/12/06.

• Trains

• saw50st8's Profile Photo

Airport Transfer

by saw50st8 Written Sep 14, 2006

Outside the exit doors at the airport, there is a small company that offers $10 AUD per person to travel from the airport to downtown Sydney. They will find you and tell you about their service. Although you have to wait a few minutes for the van to fill up, during busy hours it is much cheaper than a taxi. (we took a taxi back to the airport at 5 am and it cost about $35 AUD for two people). The transfers drop you off right at your hotel and had no trouble carrying all of our luggage. It was a fairly quick ride and cheaper than a taxi and comparable to the trains. Highly recommended.

• length's Profile Photo

Immigration

by length Written Jul 31, 2006

Long Flight? Tired? Delayed Arrival? Late to meet someone?

Immigration can be particularly painful at Kingsford-Smith airport, and especially for international passport holders. For some reason there is always a large queue even out of peak hours. If you have flown in from the UK or some other far flung destination the last thing you want to do is stand in a queue for an hour or more.

So as you approach the passport control, do yourself a favour and buy a toblerone from the last duty free place as you approach. This will take you off down a side route that is reserved for duty free shoppers and has its own passport control officers.

The result? A much shorter queue - when I came through recently I was last off my flight, but very close to the front at the baggage collection. In my opinion worth the $13 AUD for some chocolate and less standing around.

• Business Travel