Airways / Airports, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

Sydney Airport Take Off, Australia

Taxi approx $20
    Bus every 20-30 mins $8 adult, $4 child
    Trains from airport depart 4-15 miins weekdays, 9-19mins weekeneds
    Fares $11 adult, $7.60 child
    Parking is also available at airport.

Please note these prices are relevant at time of posting 07/12/06.

• Singles
    • Trains

• saw50st8's Profile Photo

Airport Transfer

by saw50st8 Written Sep 14, 2006

Outside the exit doors at the airport, there is a small company that offers $10 AUD per person to travel from the airport to downtown Sydney. They will find you and tell you about their service. Although you have to wait a few minutes for the van to fill up, during busy hours it is much cheaper than a taxi. (we took a taxi back to the airport at 5 am and it cost about $35 AUD for two people). The transfers drop you off right at your hotel and had no trouble carrying all of our luggage. It was a fairly quick ride and cheaper than a taxi and comparable to the trains. Highly recommended.

• length's Profile Photo

Immigration

by length Written Jul 31, 2006

Long Flight? Tired? Delayed Arrival? Late to meet someone?

Immigration can be particularly painful at Kingsford-Smith airport, and especially for international passport holders. For some reason there is always a large queue even out of peak hours. If you have flown in from the UK or some other far flung destination the last thing you want to do is stand in a queue for an hour or more.

So as you approach the passport control, do yourself a favour and buy a toblerone from the last duty free place as you approach. This will take you off down a side route that is reserved for duty free shoppers and has its own passport control officers.

The result? A much shorter queue - when I came through recently I was last off my flight, but very close to the front at the baggage collection. In my opinion worth the $13 AUD for some chocolate and less standing around.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Sydney Airport - Only 9 km from the city centre.

by Jerelis Updated Jul 20, 2006

As we arrived to Sydney by air, we found out that Sydney Airport (SYD) was just 9 kilometers south of the centre of Sydney. This international airport is quite a modern airports and all kinds of facilities like bureaux de change, cash machines (ATMs), restaurants, gift, souvenir and duty-free shops, parking facilities and also at Sydney airport there is a choice of car hire companies.

When we arrived and left the plane we saw that the sign were pretty clear and were able to find our way easy. Finally some relatives waited for us to pick us up and they guided us to the entrance and we left by car. Once again we were surpised that such an international airport is only 9 kilometers away from its city centre.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Getting there...

by CandS Updated Jun 22, 2006

Well, I guess from Europe, Asia, America etc you would have to take a plane (or boat?!) ;) There are plenty of flights coming from all over the world and from other Aussie cities.

But for us it is easiest to drive...Sydney is about 2 hours from Canberra, 5 hours from Wagga or about 8 hours from Melbourne by car...

CBD of Sydney

• Arrival at Sydney Airport

by mke1963 Written Mar 31, 2006

Arrival at Sydney Airport is straightforward, and like Singapore and Hong Kong, the process is simple and quick.

Immigration queues are rarely more than a few minutes for foreigners (are you listening China, USA and UK??!!). However, Australia is paranoid about foreign food getting into the country, and they seem more conrened that apples may get in than unwanted foreign people.

All incoming luggage gets X-rayed and this can take some time.

Finally, there is a question that is on the little immigration form asking if you have any criminal convictions. I understand that this is not now a requirement for entry, so it is best to just say "No" to this one.

• The Visa Process

by mke1963 Written Mar 31, 2006

Getting a visa for Australia is very simple, but must be done before you leave your own country.
    For nationals of many countries, you merely need to complete an online visa application. It takes just a couple of minutes and costs AUS$20. Probably the easiest visa system of all!

• saltwaterandsails's Profile Photo

Qantas sucks

by saltwaterandsails Written Mar 11, 2006

Don't fly Qantas.

They are forever bragging how wonderful they are, and trying to appeal to Australian patriotism.

They are only profitable because of government regulations. And their only competition on the US leg is United Airlines. (Who are equally bad).

The service is crap - which is more a reflection of Qantas management than the staff.

Take my recommendation - and fly an Asian Carrier. And tell Geoff Dixon he is a wanker.
    Can I say that? Oh well there is an Aussie word for you!

• Freebeacher's Profile Photo

Special Airfares to Sydney

by Freebeacher Updated Jan 2, 2006

Subscribe to email alerts from airlines travelling where you want to go and watch your weekend newspaper's travel section for sales by consolidators. Even on remote Kauai, my small town travel agent matched a low fare advertised by the big Honolulu agents, as he knew I could just mail them a check if he couldn't compete. I bought a ticket on QANTAS for return travel from March 1 to April 30 (2005) with limit of 60 day stay for USD$659. Honolulu-Sydney! That is about half of what it was the last time I went. Reason is now Hawaiian Airlines runs the route from Honolulu to Sydney. Also Air Canada do Vanouver-Honolulu-Sydney. This puts pressure on QANTAS and American to cut their normally top-shelf fares. That flight takes 10 hours going to Sydney 9 coming back to Honolulu. Service and food found no fault although Sydney bound my in-flight map tracking thingy didn't work! (It is one of my favorite parts of flying is seeing the progress on the map.) Unlike economy on USA airlines I was given free wine with dinner.

• danielribo's Profile Photo

Domestic travel in Australia

by danielribo Written Nov 10, 2005

Since the collapse of Australia's largest domestic airline (just after Sept 11), domestic travel has changed drastically. Qantas, once one of the worlds best airlines, now offers very poor service (due to lack of competition). Virgin Blue, who started services in 2001, now have a very extensive network and they offer exceptional fares and great service. Booking is easy via virginblue.com.au

A new discount airline, Jetstar, started services about 18 months ago and have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Qantas has cancelled many flights, forcing people to fly with Jetstar and suffer through all of their problems (very poor customer service, delays, rude staff, refusal of boarding to some passengers etc). Worst still, Jetstar have a habit of allowing you to book the flight you want (eg: 6pm) and then a few weeks before you leave informing you that you are now on a 6AM flight! Happened to me 6 times this year and it does a great job of ruining your plans (especially if you have a connection).

By all means, fly all over Australia, it's the best way, but fly with Virgin or (if you must) Qantas. NO JETSTAR!!!

If you see this plane... don't get on it!

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Observation deck bar.

by Steve-H Written Oct 6, 2005

So where was this taken? a comfy lounge bar? a sunny backyard? It was taken in the bar on the observation deck at Sydney airport, we had a great time saying goodbye to Danielle, going down to the restaurant to eat and back to the bar again, i never felt so relaxed in an airport.

Great weather, good beer and Danielle.
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Cheap Way out of the Airport!

by saraheg77 Updated Sep 13, 2005

We found Airport Connect and thought it was a good deal. Since we weren't renting a car in Sydney, we were just looking for the least expensive way to get to our hotel and back. Just after you claim your baggage, head to the rental car area and you will find a desk advertising 'Airport Shuttles'.

Here, you can get a fare to your hotel and back for $17.50 per person. They have buses that seat about 10 people, so you may have a little bit of a wait for the bus to fill up, but it shouldn't be too long. Then on your return ticket, there is an 1800 number to call the day before you leave and let them know what time you need to be picked up!

It was easy, painless, and fairly inexpensive. I guess you should check out the taxi fares to where you need to go and the number of people in your party to see if this is the best option for you!

Airport Connect

• Tripack's Profile Photo

My Aussie Wings

by Tripack Written Aug 12, 2005

I choose to fly with Virgin Blue during my Aussie trip as the price were very competitive and less time consuming compare to road or train trip.

To obtain the lowest price you should plan your trip a bit in advance. From my personnal experience, the flghts were pleasant and ontime (Perth - Adelaide - Sydney).

This airline operates since 2000 and have continously extend its route network. Nowadays the fleet of Boeing 737-700/800 linked all major Australian cities. Other DownUnder destinations are available in New-Zealand, Fiji, Vanuatu and Cook Island.

Virgin Blue Boeing 737

• xuessium's Profile Photo

From Singapore to Sydney (direct flight)

by xuessium Written Jul 2, 2005

This is one busy sector. A number of airlines fly this route. From Singapore, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Gulf Air & British Airways all fly to Sydney directly. It is a 7 hours journey.

A number of airlines also fly to Sydney but with a transit stop. Such airlines include Australian Airlines (Denpasar, Bali), Garuda Indonesia (Denpasar, Bali), Royal Brunei Airways (Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei) and Malaysian Airlines (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).

SingaporeAirlines

• keida84's Profile Photo

Excellent Service--Excellent Price

by keida84 Updated Jun 11, 2005

I highly recommend flying business class on a long haul flight if at all possible. We redeemed our frequent flyer miles and flew business class to Sydney, AU and back home again, This was the best flight I ever had. Totally worth 90,000 frequent flier points and $83 for 9/11 tax.

Somehow I got lucky and booked us into the upper deck of the 747. The best seats in the plane, 16 AB. Not only was there overhead storage but there was a storage locker below the window which accommodated a lot of our carry on and was so convenient to use. The seats in business class downstairs did not have this luxury. The seats reclined almost flat but enough that I slept 6 hours straight.

We received an amenities bag that had: eyeshades, socks, toothbrush/toothpaste, mints and earplugs. The service was great and when we arrived in Sydney we felt refreshed not jet lagged at all. Okay so I am working on accruing miles again so I can fly business class until then I take my place in the cheap seats!

Instant Answers: Sydney