Airways / Airports, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

Waiting for the plane
    From the airplane
    inside the terminal
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

SYD - Kingford Smith

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

This will almost always be your gateway into Sydney.

Not a super airport but it is good for what it does.

Plenty of shopping and you can pick up a SIM for your mobile before heading into town upon arrival.

The both the domestic and international terminals are connected to City Rail by the now private airport line. Not only will you need a ticket for the train, you will pay a surcharge to enter or exit airport stations.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Cheap Way out of the Airport!

by saraheg77 Updated Sep 13, 2005

Airport Connect

We found Airport Connect and thought it was a good deal. Since we weren't renting a car in Sydney, we were just looking for the least expensive way to get to our hotel and back. Just after you claim your baggage, head to the rental car area and you will find a desk advertising 'Airport Shuttles'.

Here, you can get a fare to your hotel and back for $17.50 per person. They have buses that seat about 10 people, so you may have a little bit of a wait for the bus to fill up, but it shouldn't be too long. Then on your return ticket, there is an 1800 number to call the day before you leave and let them know what time you need to be picked up!

It was easy, painless, and fairly inexpensive. I guess you should check out the taxi fares to where you need to go and the number of people in your party to see if this is the best option for you!

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Qantas to Sydney

by martin_nl Written Nov 25, 2003

Our airplane during stopover in Bangkok

I flew Qantas to Sydney and although the leg space could use a major improvement in economy class the service was very good. Every seat has its own little screen with quite some channels on. There are many recent movies on, aswell as many different series and other programs. The staff was very helpful and friendly and took good care of everyones needs. The food I have to say was also delicious. This was actually the first time I liked the food served very much. All in all I'd say fly Qantas!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Fly over Sydney

by ATXtraveler Written May 8, 2005

Qantas wing

If you are headed to Sydney, your best bet is to check out Qantas. Qantas is by far the most popular airline in Australia, and it is disguinshed by its Red tailed airplanes with a kangaroo on it. Qantas is known as a "redtail" when being referred to by locals, and will get you from Los Angeles to Sydney. For more information on flights and schedules, check out their website.

Here is our first view of Australia... definitely not our last!

• keida84's Profile Photo

Excellent Service--Excellent Price

by keida84 Updated Jun 11, 2005

I highly recommend flying business class on a long haul flight if at all possible. We redeemed our frequent flyer miles and flew business class to Sydney, AU and back home again, This was the best flight I ever had. Totally worth 90,000 frequent flier points and $83 for 9/11 tax.

Somehow I got lucky and booked us into the upper deck of the 747. The best seats in the plane, 16 AB. Not only was there overhead storage but there was a storage locker below the window which accommodated a lot of our carry on and was so convenient to use. The seats in business class downstairs did not have this luxury. The seats reclined almost flat but enough that I slept 6 hours straight.

We received an amenities bag that had: eyeshades, socks, toothbrush/toothpaste, mints and earplugs. The service was great and when we arrived in Sydney we felt refreshed not jet lagged at all. Okay so I am working on accruing miles again so I can fly business class until then I take my place in the cheap seats!

• Tripack's Profile Photo

My Aussie Wings

by Tripack Written Aug 12, 2005

Virgin Blue Boeing 737

I choose to fly with Virgin Blue during my Aussie trip as the price were very competitive and less time consuming compare to road or train trip.

To obtain the lowest price you should plan your trip a bit in advance. From my personnal experience, the flghts were pleasant and ontime (Perth - Adelaide - Sydney).

This airline operates since 2000 and have continously extend its route network. Nowadays the fleet of Boeing 737-700/800 linked all major Australian cities. Other DownUnder destinations are available in New-Zealand, Fiji, Vanuatu and Cook Island.

• dracko's Profile Photo

Sydney Intl

by dracko Written Dec 11, 2003

The best (or should I say the only quick & easy ) way to get to Sydney or Australia in general from overseas or in fact from most other places in Australia is to fly there. The airport is just south of the city, and there're numerous shuttles and buses that will bring you into Sydney proper, as well as a dedicated branch of the city's City Rail subway system. If you opt for the subway, it's A$11 one way. There's also a shuttle that will take you in for about $8.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Final Leg

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jun 1, 2003

Goodbye World!

On completion of our brief stay, we watched the Air Niugini Boeing 707 taxi in at Sydney's International Airport, knowing that this was the final stage of our long journey to Papua New Guinea. We flew out on my 30th birthday and I was thinking that, if I had arranged to cross the International Dateline a few days later than we actually did, maybe I could have missed out on it and made myself a year younger! While in Australia, we rented a car and had complete freedom to roam along the coast in the area.

• length's Profile Photo

Immigration

by length Written Jul 31, 2006

Long Flight? Tired? Delayed Arrival? Late to meet someone?

Immigration can be particularly painful at Kingsford-Smith airport, and especially for international passport holders. For some reason there is always a large queue even out of peak hours. If you have flown in from the UK or some other far flung destination the last thing you want to do is stand in a queue for an hour or more.

So as you approach the passport control, do yourself a favour and buy a toblerone from the last duty free place as you approach. This will take you off down a side route that is reserved for duty free shoppers and has its own passport control officers.

The result? A much shorter queue - when I came through recently I was last off my flight, but very close to the front at the baggage collection. In my opinion worth the $13 AUD for some chocolate and less standing around.

• cheerssweetie's Profile Photo

Taxi approx $20
    Bus every 20-30 mins $8 adult, $4 child
    Trains from airport depart 4-15 miins weekdays, 9-19mins weekeneds
    Fares $11 adult, $7.60 child
    Parking is also available at airport.

Please note these prices are relevant at time of posting 07/12/06.

• Singles
    • Trains

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo

Qantas Airways

by RedEaredPanda Updated Jun 30, 2004

Qantas Airways is Australia's home airline.
    It offers flights to and from most places. It also has a Frequent Flyer Program. I collected enough frequent flyer points for 2 adults to Fiji from Sydney. Awesome experience.

• authoress's Profile Photo

Cab to airport from Central Train Station

by authoress Written Jun 21, 2007

If there are two or more people, go ahead and take the cab ride to the airport from Central. The train ticket will cost you $12.00 each and the cab was $23.50. It saved having to lug our bags around and having to take the crowded train.

• danielribo's Profile Photo

Domestic travel in Australia

by danielribo Written Nov 10, 2005

If you see this plane... don't get on it!

Since the collapse of Australia's largest domestic airline (just after Sept 11), domestic travel has changed drastically. Qantas, once one of the worlds best airlines, now offers very poor service (due to lack of competition). Virgin Blue, who started services in 2001, now have a very extensive network and they offer exceptional fares and great service. Booking is easy via virginblue.com.au

A new discount airline, Jetstar, started services about 18 months ago and have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Qantas has cancelled many flights, forcing people to fly with Jetstar and suffer through all of their problems (very poor customer service, delays, rude staff, refusal of boarding to some passengers etc). Worst still, Jetstar have a habit of allowing you to book the flight you want (eg: 6pm) and then a few weeks before you leave informing you that you are now on a 6AM flight! Happened to me 6 times this year and it does a great job of ruining your plans (especially if you have a connection).

By all means, fly all over Australia, it's the best way, but fly with Virgin or (if you must) Qantas. NO JETSTAR!!!

• Freebeacher's Profile Photo

Special Airfares to Sydney

by Freebeacher Updated Jan 2, 2006

Subscribe to email alerts from airlines travelling where you want to go and watch your weekend newspaper's travel section for sales by consolidators. Even on remote Kauai, my small town travel agent matched a low fare advertised by the big Honolulu agents, as he knew I could just mail them a check if he couldn't compete. I bought a ticket on QANTAS for return travel from March 1 to April 30 (2005) with limit of 60 day stay for USD$659. Honolulu-Sydney! That is about half of what it was the last time I went. Reason is now Hawaiian Airlines runs the route from Honolulu to Sydney. Also Air Canada do Vanouver-Honolulu-Sydney. This puts pressure on QANTAS and American to cut their normally top-shelf fares. That flight takes 10 hours going to Sydney 9 coming back to Honolulu. Service and food found no fault although Sydney bound my in-flight map tracking thingy didn't work! (It is one of my favorite parts of flying is seeing the progress on the map.) Unlike economy on USA airlines I was given free wine with dinner.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

From Singapore to Sydney (direct flight)

by xuessium Written Jul 2, 2005

SingaporeAirlines

This is one busy sector. A number of airlines fly this route. From Singapore, Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Gulf Air & British Airways all fly to Sydney directly. It is a 7 hours journey.

A number of airlines also fly to Sydney but with a transit stop. Such airlines include Australian Airlines (Denpasar, Bali), Garuda Indonesia (Denpasar, Bali), Royal Brunei Airways (Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei) and Malaysian Airlines (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).

Instant Answers: Sydney