Know about this?
A pall in the sky
There's nothing quite like a raging bushfire. You can have ample warning and still it can overrun you.
When driven by a strong westerly wind that skips trees and lights gaseous fireballs created by oil evapourating from the eucalypts, it is a frightening thing to behold.
Everything is scorched, native fauna the most pitiful sight as koalas and kangaroos are burnt, unable to escape the fury.
As for the flora, pics 2 and 5 clearly illustrate what's left after this fire through the Central Coast, just north of Sydney though its pall cast a shadow over Sydney's northern suburbs.
The moral is, don't throw cigarettes out of the car window, as I have seen some thoughtless people do on occasions, or even contemplate lighting anything, even a seemingly protected back yard barbecue. As evidenced here, the price is too high to pay.
- Road Trip
- National/State Park
- Family Travel
You've never seen fires like it!
The bushfire season obviously goes through summer, November through February, and the worst time is usually Christmas/New Year. In drought conditions, which is a regular occurence, the danger period is much longer.
This is a time of extreme danger, and not only in the bush. The Blue Mountains are often hit and, because Sydney has many natural bush parks - and the oil in our ubiquitous eucalypt trees is highly flammable - raging fires can come right into the suburbs. Obey the warning signs, do not drop cigarette ends, do not light fires if a fire ban has been declared.
See my Wollongong page for what happens in one of our bushfires...
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Sydney Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Point Dume State Beach Hotels
- Santorini Island
- Lake Koshkonong Hotels
- Bodie Hotels
- Musaffah Hotels
- Curaçao Warnings and Dangers
- Saint Petersburg Warnings and Dangers
- Izmir Warnings and Dangers
- Louisville Warnings and Dangers
- Buffalo Warnings and Dangers
- Mykonos Warnings and Dangers
- Saint Augustine Warnings and Dangers
- Bad Neighbourhoods
- Dakar Warnings and Dangers
- Davao City Warnings and Dangers
- Chania Warnings and Dangers
- Long Lines - Queues