Drugs, Sydney

by jolou
  • jolou's Profile Photo

Byron Bay.

by jolou Updated Jan 29, 2005

Byron Bay does seem to be a very relaxed laid back place, has a chilled out atmosphere and at first feels quite safe. You do however need to be careful, - there is quite a big drug scene, not just the weed, and at night we were warned to be very careful wandering around alone (especially females).

• DrinkSpikingCommon

by BackPackersMom Written Dec 1, 2007

Hello there. My Canadian daughter,18, was staying at the Central Hostel in early November. She and another hosteller decided to do some window shopping on a Sat. night Then they entered a bar near the hostel at 10pm. My girl's first drink in her first bar was spiked with one of the three drink spiking drugs in use in Sydney. She was separated from her companion in the busy bar, and my girl was taken out of the bar and raped repeatedly. She managed to call us when she returned to the Hostel and we eventually calmed her down and told her to take a taxi to the hospital. The nurse there told her that this happens often in sydney, gave her a monring after pill and sent her on her merry way. We were not called, nor was the Canadian consulate nor the police. A police investigation of this incident is now underway. So my advice for young travellers there is to be extremely careful when going to bars in the central area, and I would say that you should always travel with a watchful GROUP of friends. If you want to check out more about this topic, Google the ABC news report of Nov. 9th with info on Sydney bar dangers as reported by Dr. Don Weatherburn..... Canadian Backpacker's Mom

• Study Abroad
    • Women's Travel

• night life everywhere

by Sustanon Written May 31, 2008

I come from Europe. Ive been to many places. There are drugs everywhere not just Sydney. Im not against drugs nor live with them. As long as they leave me alone its ok. Sydneys drug scene is just like any other cities drug scene.

• boycott Ivy If you have a respiratory condition

by oznztofro Written Jun 25, 2010

I went to the Ivy Club/bar in March. I stayed there for 4 hours. Ivy has a hole in the roof meaning its outdoors.

Thios places disgusts me! There are smokers everywhere. & if your a person that has respiratory Illnesses you will get sick just for going to this place

I'm an Asthmatic & i got a throat Infection from all the idiots smokers at IVY. I was taking lozenges for 2 weeks until i saw my doctor & he gave me some antibiotics.

If you want to go to a bar or Club that has no smokers GO TO AN INDOOR ONE

I hope all you smokers get lung cancer! You people deserve to have the Chemotheraphy drug swirling in your system

Instant Answers: Sydney