King Cross, Sydney

The Coke sign
    by cybergenic
  • Wrong place, wrong time

by Shellysydney Written Aug 8, 2011

Kings Cross is the place to be for a gang rape experience by maori bouncers and prostitues whilst your partner gets beaten up out the back. I guess you could say we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• meekandhumble2830's Profile Photo

Kings Cross / Bondi Beach

by meekandhumble2830 Updated Sep 11, 2009

I was born in Manila, now live and work here in New Jersey. I consider Australia as my second home because of two reasons, Kings Cross and Bondi Beach. Kings Cross is pure kindergarten compared to newark, nj as far as crime is concerned . There are cops ,uniformed and undercover almost everywhere specially at night. Enjoy your ice cold beer while in kings cross and nobody will bother you...vice versa... as long as you dont bother anybody.

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Kings Cross. Ho Bags and crack heads

by cybergenic Updated Jul 12, 2007

The Coke sign

Try and avoid Kings Cross, it's no more dangerous than any other red light district in the world but it's just plain ugly.

Bucks nights, perverts, drug dealers, prostitutes, drunks, trannies, pimps and thieves.

The train station is renowned for bag snatchings.
    Be sure not to photograph bikers without asking for their permission. It is a general rule of thumb to not photograph inside tattoo parlours also.
    There are much nicer places to go out in Sydney, but if it is dodgie night clubs full of drunk teenagers then this may well be your place.

• Zoo

• keep away from kings cross at night

by marto4bahrain Written Aug 21, 2006

I have heard many reports about females beeing raped in kings cross & gangs targeting young people.

People have been bash & killed in the past.

There is also allot of drug users around town.

you can visit KC during the day but stay the hell out of it at night

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Kings Cross is not Sydney's worst area

by night-timer Written Jul 25, 2006

Kings Cross may feel more unsafe than it really is. It's well lit on the main streets and always populated.

Redfern, near the train station, is a potentially much more dangerous area, especially late at night or on weekend nights, when gangs of youths or small groups of youths can be roaming around .

Kings Cross is lively, Redfern can be deserted and eerie.

Other areas that may occasionally be or feel unsafe include Surry Hills, Chippendale, Woolloomooloo and Waterloo. A taxi driver once told me that drawing a staight line on a Sydney map between Redfern and Kings Cross would show you the potential trouble spots at night. Truthfully, Sydney is largely a safe place, but there are some (a very small number) of less pretty streets, but really only at night.

• sneakye's Profile Photo

Being Aware whilst clubbing

by sneakye Updated Jul 12, 2006

Kings Cross has cleaned up a lot - and i've been there a couple of times
    clubbing. Just be aware, like you would in any other place, that your drinks can be spiked.
    I've never usually worried about this - but have always never left
    my glass and carried it around with my hand around the top so
    nothing could be slipped in. Unfortunatly one night someone put
    something in my best friend's drink - we didn't realise what had happened
    at the time because she just said she was feeling tired and wanted to go home.
    We didn't know till the next day when she said she was shaking and feeling
    dizzy.
    So my advice - take care - anywhere in the world - I decided to post this advice
    here because that's where we had the encounter.

• Singles

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Sin City, but a pure picnic compared to Chicago

by dlandt Updated Feb 3, 2006

Compared to even so-so streets in Chicago, King Cross is a joke of a bad neighborhood. The area does cater to baser desires. There are a lot of sex shops (including some nice ones) and some drugs and prostitution are visible on the street but I seriously doubt most people will face any real danger here. It never hurts to be careful and keep a look out though. The panhandlers are too lazy to be aggressive, preferring to send their girlfriends instead. Even the darker side streets didn't seem to hold much in the way of danger.

The truth is, I didn't even think this was a bad neighborhood until I told a few people I went there and watched their eyebrows go up. I just thought it was the red light district.

• Kings Cross basically red light district

by flippedbit Written Oct 9, 2004

I've lived in Sydney my whole life and basically Kings Cross is our red light district. It's a strange and interesting place. It's where the rich meet the poor and they all seem to live happily together. It's also the most densely populated part of Sydney. In general when you walk through this area at night just keep your wits about you. The same can be said for the Darlinghurst area. The areas to avoid in Sydney are Eveleigh Street, Redfern. This street is right near Redfern Train Station. The police do not go down this street and neither should you. The suburb of Waterloo is a no go area particularly at night. Also as you go further in land places such as Cabrmatta, Villa wood should be avoided.

• Chriselle65's Profile Photo

Kings Cross. At Night

by Chriselle65 Written May 6, 2004

At night the suburb of Kings Cross comes alive. It can become a bit rough and seedy and brings out all kinds people in all kinds of dress. Kings Cross is known for prostitution, the red light district of Sydney, so it may not be the place to take the family.

• Kings Cross

by grkboiler Written Jan 25, 2004

This is a very rough area, especially at night. Muggings and beatings occur here if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would not come here alone. I would also try not to stare at people. If you have a sharp tongue, I would recommend keeping your mouth shut and your comments to yourself.

• phoebelosophy's Profile Photo

Sleazy Strip

by phoebelosophy Written Sep 13, 2003

The Strip

Although Kings Cross is a must-see for all travellers, it does get dangerous at night - attracting prostitutes, drug dealers and of course night clubbers.

With common sense, you can avoid any incidents or mishaps. If you are not into the flashy, neon, sex/drugs/rock'n'roll, Kings Cross may not appeal to you at night.

Even during the day it is quite depressing as the homeless people walk around in a daze (or sleep in their side-alleys), and the streets are filled with last nights rubbish.

Away from the main strip of Kings Cross are some very trendy night clubs and restaurants - definitely worth checking out!

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

King Cross

by SydneyGal Written Jan 1, 2003

The famous fountain in Kings X

Be careful around the Kings Cross area late at night, particularly around the back alleyways. This is the Red Light district and a place where drug addicts and prostitute generally converge. You may find yourself approached by people for money or trying to avoid drunken louts. Not the prettiest side of Sydney. However if you are into adult entertainment, sex shops, etc, you might be interested in visiting here. It can be quite interesting if you can oversee the seedy side. A popular place for stag/bucks nights.

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

For a million inhabitants...

by Ronald_T Written Sep 12, 2002

For a million inhabitants city, Sydney is a real safe town. Don't talk about pickpockets because we all know it's a worldwide problem. Everyone who travels knows that and takes precautions about this. I read on VT that some people find Kings Cross unsafe but I never (and I go in Kings Cross a lot if I am in Sydney) had trouble there. Ok, there is a lot of begging, but that we see in all big cities as well. Just ignore that and they leave you. Maybe they will scream behind your back, just ignore it and go your way. More dangerous are the many injection needles spread out in the parks (specially Fitzroy Gardens) and you have just to be careful and take a good look before you lie down in the grass. But really, Sydney is a relatively safe city compared with other big cities.

• laetitiad's Profile Photo

I lived for some time in Potts...

by laetitiad Written Aug 25, 2002

I lived for some time in Potts Point, near Kings Cross. During the week, it was reasonnably safe in the evening. But on friday and saturday evening, it was definitely best to avoid : there were drunks and groups of bikers.

Instant Answers: Sydney

• TexasRay54's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I was in Sydney on business trips a number of times. First trip, the Ozzies were laughing and threatening to take us to "the cross".........a buddy of mine and I finally went on our own out of curiosity. King's Cross was a fairly easy cab ride...and so I asked the cabbie if he thought we would be safe down there. He said "Well, Mate, if you you've got a knife, or a gun, or as long as you can fight like a thrashing machine - you'll probably be alright". Then he suggested a simpler approach "just try and mind your own business" and you'll probably do just fine. We went up and down the whole district....."the transvesties" gave my buddy a scare (put there hands in his thick wavy hair, thought he was going to jump in my arms). Everything is available for purchase there - and it is safe enough - however "the minding your own business bit will pay dividends. One Sunday morning down there - I encountered two guys fighting - with one of them slamming the other guys skull into the curb. First thing that entered my mind was to put a stop to it...with a swift kick....then I remembered....to mind my own business - there were at least 20 locals watching this guy getting his brains smashed.....and I guess they figured he had it coming. Love the cross.

• Dec 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

KINGS CROSS IS GREAT,IT'S EVERYTHING A RED DISTRICT SHOULD BE,AND IT'S ACTUALLY THE SAFEST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN,SERIOUSLY FOLKS,DON'T BASH IT,IT IS A RED LIGHT AREA,SO COMMON SENCE DOES NEED TO BE USED,I'VE TRAVELLED FAR AND WIDE WITH A PACK SACK AT THE HOSTEL LEVEL AND LOVED EVERY MILE OF IT,BUT NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER GET DRUNK IN ANY RED LIGHT DISTRICT AND LET YR HAIR DOWN BECAUSE YOUR SETTING YRSELF UP FOR TROUBLE,LEAVING YRSELF VULNERABLE,TRUST ME FOLKS,LEAVE THE KIDS AT HOME,STAY ON THE MAIN STRIP,NOT TO LATE,BRING A LITTLE CHANGE FOR THE HANDLERS,AND ENJOY THE PEOPLE THE SHOPS THE BARS ,AND THE DIVERSITY OF THE AREA,ISIN'T THAT WHY YOU WENT THERE IN THE 1ST PLACE,SO BE KIND AND BE AWARE OF YR SURROUNINGS,AND REMEMBER,THOSE FREAKS DOWN THERE,ARE AS WELCOME THERE AS YOU ARE,,HAVE FUN YR CANADIAN FRIEND ROB,BTW I WAS THERE IN 84\5 FOR 6 MONTH'S WOW WHAT MEMORIES,THANX YOU WILD AND LOVABLE AUSSIES!!!!!