Tamworth Things to Do

From memory this is an Avro Anson
    by iandsmith
    One of the Roulettes warming up
  • The oldest registered aircraft in Australia
    The oldest registered aircraft in...

Most Recent Things to Do in Tamworth

The air show

by iandsmith Updated Oct 28, 2013
    From memory this is an Avro Anson

Being critical of people who have made an effort is not something I particularly enjoy but, I feel it incumbent upon myself to tell the truth here.
    I went to the first air show at the behest of some close friends but, I have to say, it was the least good example of such fare.
    Considering Tamworth has significant roots in the aircraft industry I feel they can do much better. The range of food available was basic, the static displays were limited as was the air show itself. Parts of it were okay and the Russian Roulettes were interesting but, overall, I came away not totally satisfied.
    The Russian Roulettes are two Yaks and two Chinese planes and their name is a take on the famous R.A.A.F. stunt team called the Roulettes.

• Photography

THE COLLECTOR'S MUSEUM

by balhannah Written Nov 11, 2012

The Collectors Museum is located at The BIG Golden Guitar Tourist Centre. As the price to see both the wax museum & collectors museum was quite a good reduced price, we decided to see both.
    Well, If I had my time again, I wouldn't bother with the Collector's museum, unless I was an avid Cricket fan, then I would be more than happy with what I saw. As I wasn't a fan of cricket, it didn't take me long to look through the Musuem which features the largest privately owned collection of Sir Donald Bradman Memorabillia. There was plenty of it, plenty of signed cricket bats, a must see for the Sporting Enthusiast.
    A large selection of the Bradman Memorabilia is available for purchase.

There was a signed Australian Rugby shirt, and a few more posters of the different Rugby teams.

• Museum Visits

GALLERY OF STARS WAX MUSEUM

Smoky Dawson

After viewing the Big Golden Guitar, we ventured inside the Cafe and to the Wax Museum.
    This wax museum is one of only three in Australia, and it salutes many of Australia’s famous Country Music Stars & Pioneers.

This was my first visit to a wax museum and I was impressed. Each of the life-like figures depicts a country music star. I remembered most of them, so for me it was interesting seeing just how much these models looked like the "real" person. They were dressed in original clothing and displayed in natural settings, pretty good is what I thought. Beside each was a display board full of interesting information about each of the Stars. New figures go on show every two to three years.

At the moment, on display are...........
    Rick & Thel CAREY
    Troy CASSAR-DALEY

OPEN.....9AM – 5PM, 7 days
    ADMISSION IN 2012.....
    Adult: $10....Under 12 yrs: $4.......Concession: $8.......Family 4: $25

Plenty of FREE off road car parking, FREE Toilets, Cafe, Souvenirs, Music cd's and much more.

• School Holidays
    • Museum Visits

"BIG GOLDEN GUITAR"

by balhannah Written Nov 11, 2012

Another big icon in Australia, is the "Big Golden Guitar," located in Tamworth.

The Big Golden Guitar is a replica of the famous golden guitar trophies given at Australia’s Annual Country Music Awards. It stands 12 metres high, weighs half a ton and has no strings as the Trophies don't have any strings. The 'real' Golden Guitars are cast in solid bronze and set on a base of polished Tasmanian Blackwood.
    The big Golden Guitar has featured in many film and TV documentaries about Tamworth and country music and TV commercials.

The Big Golden Guitar was officially opened by Slim Dusty and Mr Paul Crombie, General Manager of Tourism NSW, on January 25th 1988

It is located at the Golden Guitar Tourist Centre on the southern outskirts of Tamworth

• Photography

2012 Country Music Week

by iandsmith Written Jan 30, 2012

A touch of glamour

It was a good year, more people came than for some years, perhaps because it was the 40th anniversary year, perhaps because it wasn't stinking hot and it wasn't flooded, problems that have been around in recent years.
    As always, it was a hoot and I loved it, from the buskers to the paid acts to the general atmosphere. Denititely something to put on your "must-do" list.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Visit an Organic Market

by wise23girl Updated Jan 19, 2012

Tamworth NSW, Australia.

The French restaurant, Le Pruneau, where we enjoyed a very appetising dinner, hosts a small organic market once a week on its premises. Some of the herbs are grown on site and others sourced from local growers.

Apparently it is very popular with the locals so come along....look around ....have a chat...you can always stop for a coffee or lunch.

Every Saturday

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

The indians (and others) are coming

by iandsmith Updated Jan 22, 2010

Would you let this man touch your hair?

Of course, there’s so much happening on the streets of Tamworth during Country Music Week it beggars description: from police towing junior down the street behind a golf cart, to an indian doing hair jobs, to scantily clad girls in a duo, to all manner of small children strutting all levels of talent on all types of instruments, to my favourite buskers the Graveyard Train (one of their instruments was a hammer and chain), to snake handlers and, well, I’ll just type etc. here!

Towering inferno

by iandsmith Written Jan 22, 2010

Dramatic scene

I know how it feels to see your motorhome go up in smoke, literally; all your dreams evaporating before you in a pall of black, vibrant spiralling fumes. A holocaust of rippling flames beneath, throwing the inky mess skywards, taking your memories and worldly goods and turning them into a charred remnant.
    Rosemarie noticed it first. We were several blocks away and the ebony spume clearly indicated there was a problem. My instant thoughts were of the motorhome. I recalled how, decades ago, I had been taking my then wife to work and, from a position of 10 kilometres away, we had joked that it might be the factory going up in smoke. 15 minutes later we were in awe of just that happening as the multi-storey building disappeared forever in a ferocious fire that gutted the premises.
    Now I was running. In hindsight I don’t know why. There’s a vain hope that you might be able to save something; anything, from that inferno; but you also know, deep down, that it’s a waste of time and that you’re really racing to see a hopefully once-in-a-lifetime experience.
    I was making good time, past the roundabout and onwards. The flashing lights of the police cars were dancing through the leaves of the lower branches of the trees. Sirens of more approaching vehicles pierced my ears. Fear gripped my stomach.
    I’d had more than my share of disasters with the motorhome; this would make them all pale into insignificance.
    I reached another intersection and skipped between cars in my dash. The next vision gave me a vestige of hope. Was that the top of my motorhome I could see in front of the pall?
    Indeed it was and, as I got closer, I could make out the bikes on the back. Perhaps it wasn’t my vehicle after all. Perhaps my prized possession was still intact. Perhaps became reality as I could now see beyond and ascertain that the problem lay some way beyond my Winnebago.
    Relief flooded my every pore but I raced on; driven now not by fear but by curiosity. A small crowd had gathered; people lined the grassy knoll and police guided the traffic away from the disaster.
    I remember being amazed at how they didn’t get the people further back because it was, in fact, a motorhome going up in smoke and my first thought was gas cylinder explosions.
    Talking later, no-one could ever recall a motorhome going up in smoke in Tamworth yet only the previous night two elderly people had been dragged out of their campervan as a dog alerted everyone to their predicament and they were saved before three gas bottles blew up and their transport disintegrated before their eyes.
    Luckily, this was daytime and no-one was on board but the heat from the flames could be keenly felt from where I was now raising my camera, along with several other people armed with happy snappers and mobile phones.
    Within one minute the fire trucks arrived and had their hoses out. The water literally blasted through what was left of the frame and within half a minute it was only steam that drifted skywards from the melted remnants.
    One couldn’t help but reflect just what it is that makes it such an inferno. That a combination of plastics, wood and materials could create such a scene almost beggared belief.
    The crowd, sensing it was over, drifted quickly away, eager to tell their friends or whoever would listen about their recent unique experience. A nameless owner’s grief would be lost in the telling of the story of the fire but I knew that I, for one, had known, however briefly, just how it felt.
    A couple were about to have dinner when it caught fire and the male had his back flash burnt while the lady was only shocked.
    Pic 2 was used by the local press

• Adventure Travel

The Big Guitar

by iandsmith Updated Jan 22, 2010

Need I elaborate

Entering from the south on Goonoo Goonoo (pronounced gunny ganoo) Road, it's hard not to notice the big thing on your left.
    Fairly obviously it's a monument to the country music festival though it arrived many years after the festival began.
    Most tourists get their picture taken beside it, so don't feel embarrassed, the locals are used to it.
    Next year will be the 39th Country Music Festival. It's come such a long way.

• cafank's Profile Photo

Superb views...John Oxley Lookout

by cafank Written Dec 22, 2009

Spectacular views

The John Oxley Lookout is always worth a visit. Over the years I have come here and witnesed the huge changes in Tamworth.

Located just a few minutes from Tamworth’s CBD, it has spectacular views of the city and the Peel River plain extending to the Liverpool Ranges.

There are picnic tables, barbecue areas and toilets at the lookout.

You could walk up to the lookout but it will be a long walk - take your water, especially if it's summer!

• cafank's Profile Photo

Big Golden Guitar Tourist Centre

by cafank Written Dec 22, 2009

Big Golden Guitar

A visit to the Big Golden Guitar Tourist Centre is a must. Again, you don't need to be a big fan - just go along and enjoy the experience and learn a littlwe about Tamworth's music history.

There's a gift shop, coffee shop, wax museum, music shop pleanty to entertain you for a while..and it's air conditioned!!

• Music

Drive in the country

by iandsmith Written Nov 27, 2006

All in a day's work

You only have to get a few hundred metres outside of Tamworth and you're in to the countryside. Sometimes you'll be driving along and see something worth photographing, as I did when I saw pic 3.
    By the time I'd egressed from the vehicle I could hear the unmistakeable roar of a harvester so I spent the next 10 minutes enjoying the unfolding scene before me. Here I share it with you.
    It was taken just south of Tamworth.

• Eco-Tourism

Rawson Avenue

by iandsmith Written Nov 8, 2006

Splendour in the suburbs

I just happened to pick this street out. I pulled up, took my camera and walked two blocks. On the hill side of Tamworth there's so much that's pleasant to see, especially in spring when things like the jacaranda (pic 5) are in bloom.
    There's also much Federation architecture to be seen, including the classic bay window/ bull nose verandah style that I've always loved (pic 2).
    The building in picture 4 caught my eye because of the number of chimneys. I think there were 7 but you couldn't see all of them at once.
    Often in early buildings they used to have say, three rooms set apart from each other in case of fire and then later they were all joined. This building may well have had such an origin.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Architecture

A walk in the park

by iandsmith Written Nov 8, 2006

Beautiful blooms

Anzac Park is a place I like to walk. For those outside Australia and New Zealand, that term may seem like a foreign language but it stands for a great deal in this part of the world. It is an acronym for Australian and New Zealand Army Corp and their story is writ large upon the world stage, particularly in WW1 and WWII.
    One of the things commemorated in this park is the Sandakan death march and the memorial (pic 5) has a diorama of the route the march took.
    There is also a variety of plant life in the park, from towering pines (pic 3) to the delicate oleander flowers (pic 4) with things like the jacarandas and poplars (pic 2) making appearances as well.
    You just continue up the hill on Bridge Street and it's on your right.

• Hiking and Walking

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Do you like country music?

by aussirose Updated Jun 4, 2005

Tamworth Country Music

I'm a lover of all types of music. Music is mood thing and I play whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. Sometimes I enjoy some toe-tappin' country.
    Here is a couple of our huge country music artists - Slim Dusty and Troy Cassar-Daley.
    I have a couple of Troy's albums and they are definately worth buying if you want a sample of Australian Country music.
    Also my other favourites are Lee Kernigan, Tania Kernigan and Becky Cole.

Instant Answers: Tamworth

Comments

Tamworth Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Tamworth things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tamworth sightseeing.