Wollongong Restaurants

Mid afternoon wine at Johnos!!!
    Fried Rice
  • Beef with Black Bean Sauce & rice noodles
    Beef with Black Bean Sauce & rice...

Most Recent Restaurants in Wollongong

• craic's Profile Photo

D'Lites: Fast Food

by craic Updated Dec 9, 2006

The water feature is cooling on a hot day

My son who is a vegetarian and lives in Sydney had been complaining to me about how you are walking down a street and feel hungry and you can't find anywhere that sells you healthy food.
    So there I was in Wollongong walking down the street and feeling hungry for some healthy food - and I came upon this place.
    The ambience isn't all that great, although the staff are helpful and pleasant, and the food is slightly more expensive than one is used to - but oh how delicious and fresh the food was. (The coffee was great too.)
    I got talking to the owner and asked him if it was a franchise. And no. It is a mum and dad store and has only been open for a month. What a act of faith to start a small business these days. I hope he does well.
    Apparently he looked into franchises but there were huge start up costs and you have to buy your supplies from them etc etc etc. Maybe the food wouldn't be as fresh.
    Old timers tell him that his place used to be a fish and chip shop which was a bikers' hang out and if there was any trouble the huge Greek lady who ran the show would grab one biker under each arm and sling them out into the street.
    I do so hope this new incarnation of fast food is still there next time I am in Wollongong.

Favorite Dish: I had the vegetarian rice paper wraps. Plenty of vegetarian options and plenty for the carnivore. All packaged neatly so you can take your food down to City Beach (five minutes walk) to have a picnic - or back to the office if you have to work.

• Jasmine12's Profile Photo

Thai Basil: Thai Terrific!!

by Jasmine12 Written May 4, 2005

Thai Basils is a tiny, family run cafe in downtown Wollongong. The people are awesome but the food is even better--affordable and delish!

Favorite Dish: There Pad Thai is the best in the city (in my opinion) and their Satay is great too!!!

• leebee1's Profile Photo

Bon Appetit: All you can eat...

by leebee1 Written Jan 3, 2005

This restaurant is located inside the Master Builders Club in Wollongong. I have to admit I havent been here in a long time. Mostly because I dont like how they have "sitting times". For example if you call to make a booking, you'll have a choice of eating between 5pm-7pm or 7pm-9pm. This is just approximate, but I'm definately one for lingering after my meal. Having a drink or 2 and a bit of conversation. A meal to me, is a night out. I dont want to be watching my clock thinking in 10mins we've got to be out...
    In saying that if it doesnt bother you, the food is quite nice, with lots to choose from. They have the hot roasts, seafood, salads, desserts etc. And it is all you can eat :)

Mylan: "Another Monsoon"

by leebee1 Written Jan 3, 2005

This vietnamese restaurant is vertially located directly opposite Monsoon on Keira Street. The same thing really, you MUST have a booking! Again, loud atmosphere, place for all the young funkies. I'd review it basically the same as Monsoon, except I dont think they are as pushy to get you out of there...Worth noting...winner of asian restaurant of the year!

Favorite Dish: Again, simple but good food.

Roppongi: Japanese

by leebee1 Written Jan 3, 2005

This is a smallish restaurant with fantastic service. Very cosy and inviting. You take your shoes off and sit on cushions on the floor to eat. They have long tables for larger groups of people. Lighting is dim, and music sets a nice ambience. Cant fault this place. You can also get take away.

Favorite Dish: I am a self confessed sushi addict, so I can't go past the sushi.

• leebee1's Profile Photo

Monsoon: The place to be seen at...

by leebee1 Written Jan 3, 2005

This Vietnamese restaurant is ALWAYS full, any night of the week! Its vertially imperative that you make a booking!
    This is one of "those" restaurants, that in order to have a conversation you have to scream at each other.
    The tables are all very close together, and I cant help shake the feeling that they want you out as quickly as possible to get the next people in.
    The waitstaff, although very nice, have no clue about the menu. Ask them a question, your not going to really get an answer.
    This is not the place you would go to if your after an intimate meal with your partner.
    I would only recommend to the young funkies...

Favorite Dish: The food is simple, and designed to be shared by ordering several dishes and everyone at your table helping themselves.
    I have to say the food IS good, if you can handle your surroundings!

Costa Azzurra: Italian

by leebee1 Written Jan 3, 2005

We really love this little Italian restaurant just 5 mins drive north of Wollongong. My partner and I are really into sampling all the little restaurants looking for something special. This place fits into that catagory.The food is wonderful, no matter what you order, with service to match.
    One thing I personally don't like, is walking into a resaurant that is so loud, you cant hold a conversation. The ambience here is so you can hold a conversation without screaming at each other. You can eat inside or out.
    Must make weekend bookings as it gets booked out here!

Favorite Dish: Any of the pasta dishes are really just superb!

• leebee1's Profile Photo

Ruby's Cafe: The perfect way to start the day...

by leebee1 Written Dec 10, 2004

Ruby's cafe

This beachfront cafe is just in the most beautiful spot, situated on the cliff top of Woonona Beach.
    Whenever I get a Sunday off work, I try to get to Ruby's for breakfast. They have indoor and outdoor seating, and you can make reservations. Start the day with a breaky burger or coffee, read the paper, or just simply admire the view.
    Most things on the menu are quite expensive for what they are, and the usual waiting time is half an hour. They do burgers, chips, salads, coffee, and have ice cream etc.
    I personally think its worth it, and a great way to start the day.

Favorite Dish: I usually just grab the bacon and egg rolls which are huge, and at about $5 its one of the cheapest things on the menu!

• swings's Profile Photo

Boufflers Seafoods: Fish and Chips!

by swings Written Oct 25, 2004

Boufflers Seafoods, Wollongong, NSW

We arrived at lunchtime and headed straight for Boufflers Seafoods, which we noticed had been recommended in Lonely Planet. There was a line of people patiently waiting to place their orders and another loose group of people waiting to pick up orders. As we stood in line, reading the menu and looking at the pictures of some of the dishes they serve up, the stream of people to place orders kept on coming.

I noticed that the restaurant seemed clean enough, and it certainly stands in one of the prettiest areas overlooking the harbour. You can watch as boats come and go, watch the swimmers, or the birds, or the other people. Just, please..... don't feed the birds!

Favorite Dish: We liked their fish and chips very much! The chips are a little smaller than most we've seen in Australia, more like we get in the US, but they were well done, browned and a little bit crispy, just like I like.

The fish can be purchased as fillets or as fingers, which are smaller. Unlike most other fish and chip places I've been, I like that it was al a carte, so you didn't have to have chips with each order of fish. I've found that even though I'm a big chip fan, the servings are usually more than I can eat. Sharing the chips last week was just right, and we ordered three fillets between the two of us.

The regular order of chips cost $2.70, and each fish fillet cost $4.00. They also serve prawns, calamari, and other items.

Thai Carnation: The food here is A class

Thai Carnation

The food here really is exceptional. The restuarant looks pretty much like any other thai restuarant. The staff are pleasant enough, although on our last visit after being seated we waited about 15 minutes before I sent a glare in the waitress's direction as we had not recieved our glasses,let alone had our wine opened for us. They do however, have a few special touches such as serving your rice on the plate for you. Whilst the restuarant looks quite warm and cosy and intimate, we found you really have to shout in order to have a conversation. It tends to get quite roudy,especially over the weekends.
    With all this said, the stand out really is the food. This is possibly the best Thai restuarant I have ever visited!!!

Favorite Dish: For an entree, the crying tiger is absolutely delicious. Although the name suggests,and the menu states that this dish is very hot, I was slightly disappointed to find that its really not hot at all. In saying that, this is a superb dish. Trust me, I am usually a white meat eater. I only ever have just a "taste" of anything red. After everything I sampled on the menu, I walked away thinking this was by far the best. Beef. I Couldn't believe it! For a main, the green curry is again, just delicious. Garlic peppered king prawns are also delightful. I really couldnt find a fault with the food here.

• leebee1's Profile Photo

Ocean Beach Hotel (Shellharbour Pub): The best place for a lunch date!!!

by leebee1 Updated Aug 28, 2004

This is definately the place to take a date for lunch, or catch up with family/friends. The view is simply stunning. It is situated directly across from the beach in Shellharbour, 20 minutes south of Wollongong. You must get a table setting on the varandah outside, sit in the sun, watch the boats come and go ahhh. Beautiful.
    The waitstaff are knowledgable and friendly. The food superb. I do not have a bad word to say about this place, it is a must do!

Favorite Dish: At first glance the menu seems quite pricey. But once the food comes out both the presentation and the quality really do make it worth the while.
    Try the char grilled octopus or the Thai fish cakes...

Amigos: Fun atmosphere...

by leebee1 Updated Aug 28, 2004

Amigos is a great night out. Downstairs is an open floor plan, whilst upstairs is set out in rooms. Its very popular for large parties, hens night etc. They have a bar and do great margaritas, although they are pricey. The crowd is quite young and funky, and the whole place is quite colourful and loud. The waitstaff are friendly and fun, tend to join in on the fun at your table. This makes up for the fact that at times, there can be lengthy waiting time for your meal. It is not uncommon here for mistakes to be made with meals arriving late, and errors on the bill. But keep a watchful eye and Amigos is truly a night out!

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu is worth trying. Ive never had a bad meal here. Definately value for money. They also have a discounted Uni night, although Im not really sure of which night it is, I think Mondays, Ill have to check...

• There are many :My favourites...

by MacOG Written Aug 26, 2002

There are many :
    My favourites include
    Arlecchino - Corrimal St. for italian/pizza
    Roppongi - Market St for japanese/sushi
    Trang - Keira St for vietnamese
    Kings - Flinders St and Food World - Keira St for chinese s.e. asian
    Charcoal Tavern - crown ln for chunky steaks
    Carluccios kitchen - princes hwy for italian
    lorenzos diner - for aus/contemp.
    but, believe me, there are many more
    wollongong has a great range of eats

Favorite Dish: sushi !!! roppongi
    the rainbow steak at kings
    vitello limone at carluccios
    duck in plum at kings
    i could go on forever

• swings's Profile Photo

Boufflers Seafoods: Boufflers Seafoods Overlooks the Harbour

by swings Written Oct 25, 2004

Boufflers has a Commanding View of the Harbour

Boufflers stands on the small ridge that backs the beach around the harbour. The view is great, and you'll feel very relaxed but for the shrill squawks of the seagulls demanding handouts!

Instant Answers: Wollongong

Comments

Wollongong Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Wollongong restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wollongong sightseeing.