Young Restaurants

• wabat's Profile Photo

Wombat Hotel / Pub: Good Pub Food

by wabat Updated Dec 12, 2012

Wombat Hotel

"The Wombat Hotel", which has had a continuous liquor license since 1877, making it the longest in NSW

Homely and traditional country pub serving good pub food inside, out front or in small beer garden at the back.

Favorite Dish: Had roast of the day... lamb for lunch. While a little overcooked for my liking still nice and came with seven types of vegetables!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

Royal Cruise Thai: Pleasant surprise

by tiabunna Written Feb 27, 2008

Royal Cruise Thai Restaurant

Not so long ago, eating out in Australian country towns brought reminders of our British heritage: uninspiring food, often cooked badly. It was usually safest to have either a mixed grill, or a steak and chips.

Looking around the main street, we saw no fewer than three Chinese restaurants, one or two other restaurants, plus a couple of pubs serving pub food. Finally we settled on the Royal Cruise Thai and were lucky to get a table, which seemed a promising sign that something was attracting the numbers.

I desisted from taking photos (under the pressure of a glare from my spouse), so you will have to take my word that the food tasted as good as it looked. Yes, it's great that culinary standards have improved, though I'm sure there still are towns where a mixed grill would be the safest bet!

Favorite Dish: We had four quite different dishes, unanimously deciding that the Pork Larb won the day as our favourite. It's a traditional dish, based on pork mince, chillies, mint and coriander - and they did it well.

Instant Answers: Young

Comments

Young Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Young restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Young sightseeing.