Transport, Brisbane

Know about this? Rate It!

by WorldXplorer
    by kat_on_moray
    by timtrina
  • City Cat

by SpikeWood Updated Apr 8, 2003

Favorite thing: The City Cat trip from bretts Wharf to the University of Southern Queensland is a Great! way to see Brisbane from a different angle.

Bretts Wharf lies at the bottom of Racecourse Rd in Ascot, one of the richer Northside suburbs of Brisbane, and at the top end lies Eagle Farm Racecourse. Along the street are many cafes, reatuarants and boutiques to dine and shop at. A favourite hangout for the locals or posers!

The City Cat moves up the Brisbane River stopping at Bulimba and Hawthorne - another two well-to-do areas, this time on the southside; New Farm Park - a beautiful big park with huge old MOreton Bay Fig trees, a great area for children, playing cricket, and a lively or quiet picnic; East Brisbane, Sydney St, the moving into the city.

If you get off at Riverside on the weekends you can enjoy the busy Riverside Markets, that sell everything from fresh orange juice and chocolate to ornate handicraft. On week days, this is the closest spot to the centre of the city which is five minutes walk.

The journey continues around past Kangaroo Point Cliffs and the Botanical Gardens and stops off at South Bank. South bank has always been popular with tourists since it's incepetion not long after the 1988 Expo which stood on this site. If you alight at the next stop, North Quay, you can head straight to the Casino!

Then a long jounrey upstream to West End and the University of Queensland.

At a bargain price of around $4.50 return, this is a great way to see some lovely sights of Brisbane!

• Cruise

• timtrina's Profile Photo

Take a City Cat around the...

by timtrina Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a City Cat around the Brisbane River - a cheap and spectacular way to see the city. Costs up to $3.20 (AUD) for a full Adult fare! Kids under primary school age are free!

The building in the background is of Customs House - you will find more info about this place in Must See Activities

Fondest memory: Being at Southbank for the Christmas 2001 Lord Mayor's Fireworks display. Absolutely Awesome!

• I would totally advise to come...

by gumption Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: I would totally advise to come in the Spring time (our spring time that is). For starters the weather is absolutely beautiful. Also... you can see the jacarandas. This might be my personal bias here... but they really do look gorgeous... I always think of them as an Australian sakura (cherry blossom). Best place to see them (I think) is at the University of Queensland grounds, or New Farm Park. But... the time that they bloom kinda depends on the weather that year... as a Japanese friend of mine found out the hard way this year!

Fondest memory: I've been living here most of my life, but haveN't really seen that much. I would recommend though taking a trip up to Mt Cootha. From the lookout you can see all of Brisbane... and it looks really nice. Best time to come, if you've got the time, is just before sunset. So you can sit and watch the sun set and then have a coffee while the stars come up! If you're going by bus... make sure you check the timetable though. Some Japanese friends of mine missed the bus after hitchhiking the way up (not advisable by the way) and were forced to walk all the way back to toowong... trust me... CHECK THE TIMETABLE!!

• kat_on_moray's Profile Photo

Ride the City Cat up the...

by kat_on_moray Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Ride the City Cat up the Brisbane River! Have a BBQ at the Kangaroo Point cliffs! Go to New Farm Park and walk along the Brisbane River.

Fondest memory: I miss the weather the most when I am away from home. The city has an extremely mild climate. In winter, the days are still warm and I love sitting in the sun on a warm winter's day.

• I know you can do it lots of...

by WorldXplorer Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: I know you can do it lots of places but I've NEVER done it before and wanted to for a few YEARS!! I FINALLY went on a helicopter!!!! And I have a photo here as proof!!! I did this for about $50 Australian at SEA WORLD. I only got about five minutes worth but some fabulous aerial scenes as my next photos will show. It was fun!

Instant Answers: Brisbane