Places to eat in Brisbane

by iandsmith

Most Viewed Restaurants in Brisbane

Citron: Modern Asian - Taste Sensations

by pedroswift Updated Dec 31, 2013

This Restaurant in the urban-renewal centre of Wilston attracted us back after the first time we ate there. The description on the sign at the entrance "Modern Asian" says it all. Every mouthful is a taste sensation.
    The bite-sized starters are a hit. For example betel leaves, sandcrab, shaved fresh coconut, chilli & coriander 2 for $10. Other mouth tingling choices are available or a plate of the three on offer for $9.
    There are 7 entrees from $16 to $19 and 7 mains from which to choose plus all the entrees are available as mains. $27 - $34. 3 sides including jasmine rice $3 if you are big eaters.

The wine list, although not extensive, has been chosen to complement the style of food.
    There are 4 sparklings 35 – 125 (champagne 100 or 125 per bottle) by glass : Australian $10 & Peloris (NZ) $15.
    20 white wines $30 – 95 (9 by the glass $8 - 11). 3 rose $33- 44
    20 red wines $32 – 125 (4 also by glass $8 - 11). 4 dessert wines $28 – 40 (2 also by glass $8)
    Beer $4.5 – 8 dollars Big choice of 20

We rated this restaurant top notch with its welcoming lay out. Tables not too close together. Outside dining during summer. This area is enclosed with roll-down drops and the space is heated by gas space heaters during winter.
    Service is exemplary. The staff are very attentive, obviously know their stuff and make every effort to please.

Vegetarians are catered for and there is wheelchair access.
    Parking in the streets around the precinct requires patience and most times a stroll of a couple of hundred metres.

Favorite Dish: We started with a glass of New Zealand Sparkling "Peloris" $15- only because we regularly drink the Australian - Brown Brothers NV Pinot Chardonnay at home ($10 per glass).
    Madam chose crispy Softshell Crab with banana chilli salad& kaffir lime dressing ($19)for entree. He chose chilli salt calamari, nouc cham dipping sauce, crisp vegetable & vietnamese salad ($18). We had tried soft shell crab before both in Oz and the USA. This was as good as, if not better than those sampled previously. His calamari was perfect. The dipping sauce just right.
    For the mains Madam chose to eat the house specialty - twice cooked crispy chicken, ginger & chilli caramel sauce & thai herb salad ($32). She had eaten that main on our previous visit and declared it "The best chicken dish that I have ever eaten!" High praise indeed. She chose it again at our last visit (Dec 2013).
    My oxtail clay-pot with shutake mushrooms, pork & coriander dumplings, star anise & cassia bark ($32) was extra tasty and more than I could eat. During our last visit I chose Duck Curry ($38) for a real taste treat.
    The owners of Citron, Robert Foley (up front) and Mark Newman (in the kitchen) plus their attentive staff have mesmerized us. We can't wait to get back for more.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

The Shingle Inn: The old is new again....

by Maryimelda Written Dec 24, 2013

In 1936 a lovely olde worlde cafe called the Shingle Inn opened in Edward Street in Brisbane. It was a truly iconic establishment that was frequented by the old and young alike. So elegant, it had silver teapots and dark wood panelling and private booths, waitresses in starched white aprons and head pieces, fine china, dim lighting and so it went on. It was a real treat when we were growing up to be taken to the Shingle Inn for morning tea or lunch whenever we went to "town".

Sadly the Shingle Inn was eventually sacrificed in the name of progress amidst much protest from the long time locals of the city. The name was used for a string of franchises in major shopping centres in Brisbane but none of them could ever live up to the original.

A few years ago the Brisbane City council embarked on a major renovation and refurbishment of the City Hall and the project was recently completed (2013). The restoration has been warmly received by the people of Brisbane but probably the most widely acclaimed part of the makeover of the City Hall was the faithful restoration of the original Shingle Inn which can be located just off the main foyer of the City Hall and is now open for business. Apparently when the original Shingle inn was demolished, much of the fittings and fixtures were put into storage and have now been resurrected to enable the triumphant return of Brisbane's favourite old cafe.

I have had the pleasure of having breakfast there on two occasions since it opened and I recently met up with Dee (balhannah) for lunch at the Shingle Inn and it was just lovely to sit in a wood panelled booth and enjoy the good food, ambience and peace and quiet of the new establishment. It took me right back to my childhood and revived some wonderful old memories for me.

Favorite Dish: When as a child, I was taken to the Shingle Inn, I would always have waffles with home made butterscotch sauce. As you can well imagine I was delighted to see it back on the menu although, I have yet to try it as I had no room left after my traditional fish and chips in newspaper main course.

I couldn't resist the pot of milk coffee which was my mother's favourite back in the old days and which also has been revived for the new menu.

The Shingle Inn was always famous for it's cakes (particularly) the patty cakes with thick creamy icing in every possible flavour. Naturally they are available again to either eat in or take home.

• Women's Travel

• al2401's Profile Photo

The Shingle Inn: Excellent service

by al2401 Written Nov 18, 2013

The original Shingle Inn was known for its excellent service, yummy cakes and unique style. The new faithfully restored restaurant still has it all. The original shingle awning and shop front, original timber panelling and booths add to the warm ambience.

when I lived in Brisbane I would often visit Shingle Inn - usually just for tea and scones or their famous waffles but occasionally for a meal. The menu is up to date and the waffles are still just as good. The service is still excellent and the staff still wear a black uniform with starched white aprons and caps.

One of the specialities of Shingle Inn is 'high tea'. Served from 2.30pm til 4.30pm it is so popular that bookings are essential.

Favorite Dish: I had a gourmet sandwich with smoked salmon, capers and dill cream cheese in Turkish bread with a glass of wine, followed by the famous Shingle Inn waffles with cream and butterscotch sauce.

The sandwich was filled with chunky pieces of salmon and lots of dressing.

The waffles were just as I remembered with lashings of sauce.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

ChowHouse: Inspired by a journey....

by wise23girl Updated Nov 9, 2013

Well we found ourselves in James Street, Fortitude Valley looking for a restaurant that appealed. And we were led to ChowHouse....the outside tables looked inviting but none were available so our party of six was seated indoors
    I read that the menu had been inspired by Timmy's journey through Vietnam, Singapore,Thailand.... and he must have gone to Morocco too as my meal was Moroccan...well I think it was...but anyway it was tasty....Please do not ask me who Timmy is...I guess he is either the owner or the chef.....
    There was a specials board so I have included a photo...but if you want to see the photo of the food ....well there is no space left....oh you want to see the food?..OK...I will swap one photo over.
    We did not have to wait very long and the wait staff were very attentive. One was even going to look up VT.

Favorite Dish: I chose the Moroccan Pork Fillet w/Grilled Haloumi and confit sweet potato for $A27...
    I never know what all the menu words mean!

By the way "There was something so special about that place" was written on the photo of the cow....I do not know what that means either....

• balhannah's Profile Photo

MODERN ART GALLERY CAFE: NICE LOCATION BY THE BRISBANE RIVER

by balhannah Updated Oct 7, 2013

After visiting the Modern Art Gallery, we decided to stop at the Cafe and have some afternoon tea.
    Located River level, and alongside the Brisbane River, it has indoor and outdoor areas for meals.
    We just had Coffee and Muffin, which cost in 2009..... $6.50 for a small cup and $7 for a large cup. You had a choice of Latte, Cappucino or Flat, and a choice of various Muffins.

I noticed that they did light meals, like Hamburger & Salads, and Cakes & Desserts. Cool drinks were available.

We enjoyed sitting outside watching the City cats going up and down the river.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

SAMAGI CAPI: CHEAP MEALS @ CLEVELAND MARKETS

by balhannah Updated Oct 6, 2013

The Cleveland Markets, and after a browse around, why not stop for a Meal or Coffee before heading on.
    In the street where the Markets are held, we found the Samagi Capi. It had outdoor seating which appealed, and the prices were reasonable.

I ordered, Fish, chips and salad...$7.50, my husband ordered, Eye fillet burger, chip, salad and a drink included.....$7.95
    Both our meals were good, only my Husband knows his meat, and he knew it was not "eye fillet steak" as advertised.

Service was slow, but they were extremely busy, and there was only the one cook, so that was understandable. We didn't mind, as situtated on the Market's edge, and we already had our drinks, we sat and people watched, and had a rest.

REEF SEAFOOD + SUSHI: Seafood Heaven

by pedroswift Updated Oct 5, 2013

Reef Seafood & Sushi
    Here is a real find in the recently opened Gasworks precinct of Newstead.
    Fresh and smoked seafood products beautifully displayed either to eat there or take away.
    The Reef Restaurant is located in the main arcade of the complex with a seating area outside the shop. Walk into the shop and check the MENU WALL - pictures of meals and their prices make for ease of selection. There are lots of choices less than $20.
    There is a huge range of product to take away.
    Staff friendly and knowledgeable. Offered me oyster and other product to sample while checking out the menu.
    Opening Hours - 7 days, 9am-9pm
    Licensed - no bring-your-own.
    Parking free for two hours under the complex - entry is off Skyring Terrace - traffic lights make it easy to turn into the entry.
    Easy Wheelchair access.

Favorite Dish: We visited at lunch time and my companions opted for grilled Barramundi, Salad and Chips $19.90 while I tried sliced Tuna rolled in an Anchovy flavoured crust $13.90.
    We drank white wine by the glass. We all enjoyed our meal and promised we would return.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Kerri Craig Coffee Lounge: Crab Sandwiches to die for.....

by wise23girl Updated Aug 24, 2013

Well if you are in Brisbane , Australia and love fresh seafood and in particular crab sandwiches....say no more. This elegant coffee lounge is the place for you. The decor is pink and white and the tables are set with white cloths and flowers...
    “Traditional High Tea” is offered as well as a specialty menu offering many combinations of Queensland’s fresh produce including ocean prawns, local sand crab, fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables.
    You can also indulge in some fashion shopping at the same time.

My apologies ....I did not spoil the moment of enjoying the sandwiches to take a photoF*

The emporium is part of the Brisbane Arcade...the Queen Street end ...just go down the stairs under the sign.

Favorite Dish: Coffee Lounge Opening Hours
    9.30 to 3.30 Monday to Saturday

All of them: Eating at Treasury Casino and Hotel

by wise23girl Updated Aug 24, 2013

Well you are visiting Brisbane, Queensland so you have some food choices here all in one composite tip. .

Now Treasury Hotel and Casino has revamped its restaurants and eating places...."Six dazzling" places they say...well we usually eat at Treasury when in Brisbane so I thought I would run them by you in a composite review.

Now I will start with the two upmarket restaurants I prefer

Marco Polo and The Lab Bar and Restaurant.

Both have fine dining though Marco Polo has become a little more Asian now....

Marco Polo is in the main casino area upstairs and is now open Wednesday to Sunday for dinner at night only...best to book. There is one dish offered at $A250 ....Live Coral Trout (but I prefer my fish cooked...LOL)...hold it...do not run away we had crispy whole barramundi with Asian sauce for $A39

Probably still my favourite The Lab is across the park in the hotel proper and is open Monday to Saturday for dinner from 6pm ....the hotel guests usually go to the Lab
    You can phone the Lab direct Ph. +61 7 3306 8647....Not for breakfast any more....you need to go to nearby Ryan's Bar.

So then there is Kitchen at Treasury
    Well they did away with Cafe21 on the ground level and 'stuck' the more European style meals in the basement.The "Chook Pen" I call it....poor acoustics and loud chatter and food not too bad but 'nothing to write home about'
    Open 7 days a week ....24 hours a day...As it is in the Casino proper you must be 18years to eat there.......actually there is a direct entry from Queen Street so maybe it is open to all! Prices more reasonable than the upmarket restaurants bit the food is not as nice.

Then there is the Market Buffet....They promise you food fresh from the local markets...They have a Seafood Special Day...have a look at the website. Again you need to be 18years for entry.

Just opened to cater for the ever increasing Asian population is Fat Noodle....'no bowl of ordinary noodles' is advertised. This cafe is on the main gaming floor ....prices are reasonable...but you need to like noodles. Open 7 days a week...dishes approx $A15 to $A19 and children are allowed.

And last and maybe least inside the gaming area is 2Go Snack Bar...'Chomp and Chew'...Open every day .....buy a pizza or a meat pie...good value...so you cannot take the kids....'not my cup of tea'

Enjoy your meal

Chidren under 18 years not permitted in eating places located inside the casino proper

Favorite Dish: For more restaurants in Brisbane do read the reviews by this member

The Lab at Treasury Casino: It used to be the place for breakfast

by wise23girl Updated Aug 24, 2013

Alert I am really finding it a chore at the moment to have to keep letting you know that so many of my favourite places are changing...or even closing...Must be a sign of the times...August 2013.

Now breakfast is served in nearby Ryan's Bar and dinner is not every night either!

Once upon a time
    "Though The Lab is one of Brisbane's top dining spots let me suggest you come for breakfast. Every day from 6am till 10am but on Sunday you can indulge from 7am till 11am.

You can choose a little table for two and look out to the streets of Brisbane yet feel a million miles away"

Favorite Dish: I love the Spanish omelette but there is a full range of choice and very good coffee.

You can choose a buffet if you prefer...the whole 'monty' or something from the menu.

Price depends on which you choose but it is not budget.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Double Shot: Sensational

by Maryimelda Written Jul 26, 2013

Double Shot is a little café in the inner city riverside suburb of New Farm. Visitors to Brisbane can easily access this place by riding the City Cat to Sydney Street and then it is a short walk along Oxlade Drive. The food is fresh and all of the pastries and meals are made from scratch by Michael, the chef and part owner. His business partner Ross handles front of house along with a staff who are all really friendly and very efficient. The barista, Tim is an artist with coffee as you can see by the photo of the swan on top of my skinny flat white.

After breakfast, lunch or morning coffee and cake, it is lovely to take a walk along the river path in Merthyr Park a couple of hundred meters away.

Favorite Dish: My favourite meal for breakfast is the porridge (pictured) topped with fresh fruit and cream. And for lunch the Pork Belly Sandwich is a winner. Also pictured is the sardine platter which a friend of mine often has and raves about.

Michael's cakes, pastries and pies are his trade mark. The Bannoffee Pie is like no other - truly decadent.

Open 6am to 3pm Wednesday to Sunday.

• Hiking and Walking

Sam's at Albany Creek Tavern: Great Steak in the northern suburbs

by pedroswift Updated Jul 1, 2013

When the prospect of rattling dishes in the kitchen becomes unattractive, we often head to the pub at Albany Creek in Brisbane’s northwestern suburbs for a steak. Sam’s Bar and Restaurant caters for all tastes and ages. One of the features that attracts family groups is the enclosed play ground/ tv-viewing room which can be seen from nearby tables in the eating area. The menu features a range of Kids meals from $7.00 to $11.00.
    Good steak is featured and the Product is supplied by a company that advertises nationally and promises "A Cut Above the Best".
    The menu features a range of starters (5) $5.50 for Garlic&Herb Bread to $13.90 (Chilli Squid).
    Salads (3) – Caesar $14.50 ; Vegetarian Haloumi $14.90; Thai Beef $19.50.
    Pasta (3 choices) $18.50 – $23.90 (Paella)
    The non-steak Mains cover the major food groups - Seafood, Lamb, Chicken and Pork. Prices range from $20 -$30.
    There are also 4 options all at $12.50 for holders of Senior Cards.
    See the photo for the steak menu which ranges in price from $25 for a 22gram Petite Eye Fillet ("Simply Sensational" the board says) to $33 for a 300 gram Wagu Rump ("The Ultimate Experience") . Steak is served with salad and chips or mashed potato. Extra toppings and sides are available.
    See photo for the Dessert menu. Blackboard specials and cheaper options at lunch time are advertised.
    Wine list has 10 reds available by glass of whole bottle four of which are $6 or less per glass (under $30 per bottle). Eight whites are on the list - cheapest $5 per glass ($22.5 a bottle): dearest Giesen (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc ($9/glass- $30/btl).
    Plenty of Parking. Disabled toilet.
    Opening Hours:Lunch: Sun - Sat 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sun - Thu 5:30pm - 8:30pm Dinner: Fri - Sat 5:30pm - 9pm
    Typical of Pub Grub places, there is no table ordering service. One orders and pays for the meal at a counter and takes a table number. Meals are delivered to the table.
    Popular eating place so book a table on Friday & Saturday nights.

Favorite Dish: On our last visit, we chose to forgo entree and started with a sparkling wine instead.
    Madam ordered the Petite Eye Fillet and he the 400gram Aged Rump. We deemed that extras were not required. That proved to be the case and we were more than happy with the size of the meals. They met the promises made on the advertising sign. Top steak at the right price cooked to perfection washed down with a reasonably priced red wine available by the glass.
    I cannot help myself compare such meals with comparable ones in France where a similar steak eaten in similar surroundings probably cost the same numbers but in Euros plus a bit.

In Feb 2010 This restaurant was rated in the Courier Mail Newspaper as one of the 10 best Steak places in Brisbane

late Oct 2012 - After our latest visit to the steakhouse...great steak at the right price...
    I see no reason to change the above review except to say wine prices have increased slightly but there is always a bargain priced option by glass or bottle. The number of menu choices has increased. The steak remains "a cut above the rest"!!

2013. Thursday night special is $10 off the listed price of any steak meals. Guess who has become a regular Thursday Night Visitor? When we ring to book, we get the response - "Pedro, do you want booth number 50 as usual??"

Eatons Hill Hotel: New Northside Entertainment Spot

by pedroswift Updated Jul 1, 2013

We recently ventured into the bistro at the Eatons Hill Hotel & Function Centre for an evening meal having waited a several months after they opened to avoid any early teething problem. The pub advertises itself as "Australia's Biggest Hotel" and since opening has been awarded accolades from the Qld Hotel Association including "Best New Hotel/tavern in Queensland" & more recently "Best in Australia".

We were impressed with the service and with the layout and decor.
    The dining area is huge offering both inside and outside areas. Inside is carpeted which helps to lessen the noise level. A separate area is set aside for families with kids and parents can dine and watch their kids play in an enclosed play room. Private rooms are available if needed.

The bistro menu is typical modern Australian pub fare.
    There is a choice of half a dozen starters & salads priced from $8 for soup to $18 for Garlic Prawns
    There are 3 choices from Pasta and Rice dishes ($15): 4 from Burgers and Sandwiches ($15)
    Mains include most food groups - seafood, beef, lamb, chicken and range in price from $22 to $27. All are served with suitable accompaniments so side dishes should not be required. But if they are there is a good choice.
    Steaks from the grill are priced depending on weight $28-$36. All are served with choice of Idaho potato and Green Salad or Caesar salad and beer battered chips including choice of sauces - pepper, red wine, Dianne, mushroom. Served with roll and butter to soak up the sauce.
    Feeling hungry add prawns or prawns & calamari in creamy sauce for $8 or $10.
    There is a comprehensive Pizza menu as well $17 - $20
    For kids under 12 years of age - choice of 3 meals $7.
    Wine is available in bottle or by the glass. Beer drinkers are catered for - big time.
    There is plenty of parking.
    Opening Hours:
    Lunch 7 days 11.30am to 3pm
    Dinner: Sunday to Wednesday 5:30pm to 8:30pm & Thursday to Saturday 5.30pm to 9pm
    Breakfast: Sunday 8am - 10am
    If sports coverage is your bag, there are large screen tvs on every wall updating the week's games.

Favorite Dish: I was worried when I saw the size of the meals. They are huge. "Oh no! I thought. They cater for quantity not quality." Not so if one chooses the right meal.
    Steak has to be good to match the competition at other venues nearby so I opted for a 400gram rump steak- cooked medium, served with Caesar Salad and pepper sauce $28.00.
    Each steak choice on the menu has its pedigree described and the rump was Nolan's Special Choice: grainfed and aged for 4 weeks - meeting the Meat Standards Australia upper end grading system.
    Done-ness met my requirements and washed down with a cold one it was a better than average meal.
    We will return.

• Beer Tasting

Spoon Deli - James Street: Light meals at the right price

by pedroswift Updated Jul 1, 2013

Spoon cafe and deli has several outlets in Brisbane. The one which we have frequented most often is the one in the James St Markets urban redevelopment site. The site features a number of eating and drinking establishments (Cru Wine Bar being one), up-market (read pricey) providors, kitchen places, theatre, boutiques etc.
    Spoon provides meals, drinks and a range of deli items including cheese, pre-cooked meals for unit dwellers, and a range of condiments, oils, bakery products and novelty food items.

Seating either inside the restaurant or outside in the walk-way provides excellent people-watching opportunities.

Vegetarian & Gluten free meals available. Wheel chair access.

Parking available off-the-street but it's a busy area so patience required. Pay and display parking on the streets.

Favorite Dish: We have found Spoon just the place for a light lunch or coffee and cake without breaking the bank. For example we had lunch recently for under 20 dollars for a bagel and a turkish-bread wrap. In the past we have enjoyed more substantial fare like salad of confit duck with pear frieze, lettuce, hazelnuts & burnt orange vinegrette ($16) and lamb burger W red onion marmalade, tomato, rocket on foccacia ($17)
    Also handy to the movie theatre across the street - lunch and a movie...what better.

Portabella: Northside Mediterranean

by pedroswift Updated Jun 26, 2013

Portabella is prominently located right in the centre of the Albany Creek shopping precinct and its truncated corner façade faces the only intersection with traffic lights. The owners, Adrian and Lizeth Chrisanthou have transformed the venue into a very popular establishment which was full on the night we chose to visit. It pays to make a booking.
    The mood is relaxed inside/outside dining with glass folding door opening the dining area to the outside.
    This year (2013) has seen the addition of a large bar area suitable for pre-dinner drinks or casual dining. The bar now features a large range of "craft" beers.
    The restaurant offers modern Mediterranean cuisine for Lunch and Dinner seven days a week.
    I was delighted to be offered a table close to the open kitchen. Love a bit of theatre with my dining out experiences and the constant flow of wait staff and meal prep and service provided that. Service staff were very attentive.
    The carte lists nine entrée sized ‘Tapas’ ranging in price from $9.90 to 15.90. Most popular was House baked bread stuffed w garlic, semi dried tomato & rosemary ($9.90)
    There are eight Mains on the list plus daily specials. ($27-34) – the most expensive being - 220g Eye fillet of Hereford Gold beef with smoked bacon, spinach & pumpkin mash, roasted mushrooms & red wine jus ($33.00). The two most served main dishes were the Fillet and
    Pan fried " wild river" Barramundi with saffron potato fondant, steamed greens, tomato & chive buerre blanc ($32 )
    There is a good list of seven Desserts ($12.90) and a cheese platter (3 cheeses - $20)
    Vegetarian options are available and the menu marks Gluten Free choices. There is a children's menu.
    The wine list offers 4 Sparklings ($34 -110) – the most expensive being Champagne : Pannier NV Brut – France ($110)
    There are ten Whites ($32-48) and twelve Reds ($32-75). There is a sufficient number of wines available by the glass to suit all tastes. Average $8.50 a glass.
    Lunch: 11.30am – 2.30pm daily Dinner: 5.30pm – late daily
    Set Lunch Menu Mon – Sun : $14.90 (main course); $22 for 2 Course Menu or $29 for 3 Course Menu
    Monday night special - all main courses $25.00.
    Fully licensed (no BYO) - One bill per table
    Plenty of Parking in the shopping centre. Entry door located car park side of building.

Favorite Dish: In the past, Madam has opted to try two Tapas sized meals such as Crispy Soft Shell Crab with harissa aioli & lemon ($12.90) followed by Sautéed King Prawns with garlic, tomatoes, chilli, parsley & white wine ($15.90). On our most recent visit (June 2013) she had the Barramundi main course and rated it A-one! Your scribe has enjoyed the duck in the past and chose the Duck Confit again. Excellent. More so with the Monday price special of $25.
    We drank wine by the glass ($8.5).
    We both enjoyed our meals and deemed the service exceptional. We won't hesitate to return.

• Beer Tasting

Evolution Apartments
Moreton Bay Backpackers Lodge
Latest: Nov 28, 2013

Instant Answers: Brisbane

Comments

Brisbane Restaurants

balhannah's Profile Photo

Come to Brisbane and be spoilt for choice at the amazing number of Restaurants serving dishes from all around the World.  Of course, you must try the local seafood including the Moreton Bay...

Map of Brisbane