Rock Climbing, Brisbane

Know about this? Rate It!

• Rock Climbing
    by Jez79
  • thedouglas's Profile Photo

Climbing at the Kangaroo Cliffs

by thedouglas Updated Jun 4, 2007

Rock climing and abseiling on the sheer face of the Kangaroo Point cliffs is a very popular weekend activity in Brisbane - and there are plenty of courses for beginners available. There are a few places along the cliffs where we regularly see groups of learners and more experience climbers training. Just depends on whether you prefer to start at the top or the bottom!

There are various courses available, for kids as well as adults.

Equipment: No need for equipment, as its all provided as part of the course. You just have to dress sensibly for hanging off the side of a rockface with dozens of peering onlookers!

• Adventure Travel

• Kangaroo Point Cliffs

by lachydragon Written Apr 30, 2004

Kangaroo Point cliffs in the evening

Brisbane really is a lucky city for active people!! What with the fantastic bike paths and the Kangaroo Point cliffs. I am a Sydneysider and pay $13 to climb at in indoor climbing Gym once a week but Brisbaneites get this amazing crag to clamber over every day of the year, floodlit until late in the evening and all for FREE!

Opposite the Botanical Gardens on the other side of the Brisbane River, Kangaroo Point is linked by a good walking/cycle path and there is a small strip of grass running along the side of the road with a railing to keep people from wandering too close to the cliffs. Climbers simply have to jump over and they will find heaps of bolted sports-climbs at their disposal with a fantastic railing to lean on for belaying! Too easy!

A climber's website thecrag.com says that there are up to 256 climbs at Kangaroo Point with a pretty wide range of grades from (Australian: 6 to 27) (USA: less than 5.3 - more than 5.11c)

Unfortunately my trip to Brissie was a mystery trip as a birthday present so i didn't think to bring my climbing gear but I did get out there on two evenings and check out he action...next time, I'm there!

Equipment: Climbing is a potentially dangerous sport and you will need specialised equipment for it. If you would like to climb Kangaroo Point and do not have access to equipment and skills then there are commercial operators who do trips there and you should be able to find info in the What's on type guides that you can pick up at the airport or tourist info offices.

• Mountain Climbing

• Jez79's Profile Photo

Climbing at Kangaroo Point

by Jez79 Written Dec 2, 2003

Climbing Kangaroo Point Cliffs

A popular activity in Brisbane is climbing or abseiling the Kangaroo Point cliffs. The cliffs overlook the Brisbane river, across from the Botanical Gardens and CBD. The degrees of difficulty vary at the cliffs, with the beginner slopes prooving popular with new climbers. Of an afternoon the cliffs can be full of climbers. The cliffs are floodlit until midnight, allowing access during the evening as well. Particularly useful in summer, where the rock gets REALLY hot.

Equipment: There are a number of companies in the local area that run climbing sessions and hire equipment. Not being a climber, I'm not 100% sure which is best, but shop around. If you have your own gear, you can just head down and set up.

• Adventure Travel

• Dani_aus's Profile Photo

ROCK CLIMBING KANGAROO POINT CLIFFS

by Dani_aus Written May 30, 2003

Cliffs at night

Kangaroo point cliffs offer a good range of climbs for beginers and a good practice area for experts.
    The cliffs are about twenty metres in height.
    Great views of the city.
    There are BBQ areas there and picnic tables, so you can have tea after a fun climb.
    there are also lights there, so a lot of people climb at night :)
    great fun!

Equipment: depends if you have your own rock climbing stuff,
    there are places that can supply them,
    i will try and find out this week

• Mountain Climbing

Instant Answers: Brisbane

• May 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

WARNING - ROCK SPORTS INDOOR ROCK CLIMBING FORTITUDE VALLEY & ALSO AT LOGAN
    We had our son's 7th birthday party here - PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS WE DID! The staff here took offence that we wanted to get into the venue 10 mins prior to the start time to set up food, cake etc (even though we had called a couple of days before to confirm that this was ok) they were INCREDIBLY RUDE to both my husband and I and alos to some of our guest parents. When I complained to the 'Manager' about this he told me to, and I quote 'SHUT UP OR GET OUT'. As this was my sons's party I had to grin and bare it but when I told them when we were leaving how disappointed we were they said ' look we don't care what you think, we've been here 18 years' NICE! They are not really geared up for kids parties either (although they advertiste them) and we definitly got the impression they didn't want to do them!!! WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT THE MOST APPALLING EXAMPLE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED! THE PARENTS OF ALL 20 OF THE KIDS THAT CAME WITH US ALSO SAID THEY WOULD NEVER GO THERE AGAIN! I would strongly suggest you give this a complete miss and go to West End instead or the cliffs at Kangaroo Point.