Fortitude Valley, Brisbane
The valley isn't exactly a dangerous place and it isn't exactly a safe place either.
A few tips,
- don't be alone
- stay on ANN and CONSTANCE ST, or on BRUNSWICK ST BETWEEN Whickham and Arthur Streets
- DEFINATELY stay off ALFRED, ALDEN and IVORY ST and probably EAST St.
- Stay out of the parks (no exceptions, even the small ones, just don't go in them). This includes 'The Lounge' cnr of Brunswick and St Pauls.
- BRUSWICK ST BETWEEN Whickham and Water streets; and WHICKHAM ST BETWEEN Brunswick and Warner Streets are both a bit dicey. Stay in a group and don't hang out on these streets more than necessary.
- Other than this, the only problems you'll run into are with other club/pub patrons, either in the venues themselves or in the street after closing time (between 3am and 5am). Put simply, these problems always come from tired, drunk people who don't have the sense to be civilised at 5am. So, same as anywhere, act sensibly and don't start anything and you'll have no problems.
Went out to the Valley on Friday night, despite being warned by my parents to not, under any circumstances, go. Went out to a couple of clubs and had a fantastic time, and nothing bad happened at all. There are plenty of Police around, as well as a Police Beat in Chinatown, and the place has a nice atmosphere. So the moral of the story? Go to the Valley, you've got nothing to lose except the awesome time you won't have if you don't go. And don't, under any circumstances, tell your mother.
The Valley used to have a (deserved) bad reputation at night many years ago but that is no longer the case. There is a police station in the mall, very active backpacker accomodations and as the Valley has become more popular there are more people on the street at night which means less lonely alleys.
The Valley is more relaxed in clothing and attitudes which is why it is the "alternative" capital of Brisbane. Throw away your blue jeans, collared shirt and brown dress shoes which is the norm in Brisbane. Put on some runners and spend the night dancing to some modern beats.
You might feel that many people say the Valley is dangerous. While there are a few 'weirdos' generally people will help you if you need a hand - don't expect the same when you go into the City.
The Valley is well policed and very well lit - Don't expect the same in the City. You'll find nicer, friendly more open people in the Valley than the City.
Don't miss it because you heard bad things!