Fun things to do in Cairns

• Beautiful Cairns Esplanade to play Bocce.
    Beautiful Cairns Esplanade to play...
    by tropicrd
  • Snorkelling
    by Cindyep
    St. Mary's by the Sea
    by fred98115

Most Viewed Things to Do in Cairns

Fields of fire

by tropicrd Written Aug 31, 2013

Burning of the cane is part of the Cairns Festival which is held every year during the last 9 days of August and ending with a carnival on Collins Avenue to celebrate Fathers day on 1st September.

Fields of Fire is a spectacular event which takes place at Yorkeys Knob, one of Cairns Northern beaches and part of the sugar cane history. It demonstrates how the fields are lit and how dangerous it was before machinery took over.The burning also hunted out snakes,rats,wild pigs and cane toads,not a nice sight but essential for the industry.
    It was part of life to drive though heavy smoke and sparks that wafted across the main roads around Cairns. Cane farmers would lock their animals away before setting the cane alight because some of them would get spooked and run into the fields where the fire had not reached,sadly some of them perished.
    If you are visiting Cairns during the time mentioned above and if you wish to see burning of cane and listen to live music and other entertainment then I head out to Yorkeys Knob and don't forget to take your camera,you won't be disappointed.

Spectacular Cane Burning Cane waiting to be torched Getting dark,wont be long Great entertainment.
    • Festivals
    • Music

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Cairns Historical Museum

by salisbury3933 Written Apr 2, 2013

I found this museum to be intriguing, with a lot of displays on the local history.

In particular I enjoyed the WW2 section, of pertinent interest given Cairns' proximity to the front line of the Pacific war.

$5 entry for adults and well worth visiting.

• Wakeboarding in Cairns - Cheap Extreme Activity!

by gettingaround Written Mar 3, 2013

Having grown up around lakes and boats we had some low level experience of wakeboarding and the fundamentals of how it's done, but never behind a cable tow!

We saw it on bookme.com.au before we got to Cairns and thought we would give it a go. Arriving at lunch time the water was very calm and the first thing we noticed was all the jumps and rails set up around the lake! There were a total mix of people giving it a go, a couple of other backpackers out giving it a go, a few guys who REALLY know what they were doing and some young kids who were clearly going to be better than us!

We wandered up to the office and a friendly young guy checked us in with our booking and got us to watch a video intro. I paid another $20 to upgrade my board to (try) hit some rails, they got us kitted up and in no time we were down on the dock ready to go.

A couple of failed attempts to get going proceeded but after the nerves settled and we relaxed we got the hang of it. The guys on the dock were really encouraging and happy to give tips and advice

The rails take a little more to get use to than you'd think! But if you rode before it is worth paying a little bit more and giving them a go. We found a 2 hour session enough as we were pretty well knackered after that.

They have food and drinks available on site, they are also licensed so you can enjoy a beer on the sun lounges if you wish also

A great activity that won't break the bank

Cable Ski Cairns
    • Water Sports

Once in a life time total eclipse 11/14/2012

by tropicrd Written Nov 13, 2012

Well,what can I say but tell you this was an amazing experience even though there was cloud cover where I was in Cairns.The cloud moved just at the right time for the thousands of visitors who came to Cairns to see this rare total eclipse.
    I had shivers up/down my spine and understood how terrified early civilisations must have been to witness such a thing. Everything went dark and just as quick turned light,as if a giant hand had switched a light off and on.
    The birds went crazy. I took heaps of photos and a couple of videos but I really was excited to see the sun rays appear through the clouds.
    Palm Cove Beach was a popular area for people but I stayed home in my backyard because we were told that there would be heavy traffic on the highways.
    My neighbors got together and we had a bbq breakfast.
    Anyway,just wanted to share this with you and hope if you ever get the chance to see a total eclipse in your lifetime then please do this. It is a wonderful and rare experience.

Getting ready for total eclipse Total eclipse sunrays Nov 14th 2012. Sun and its rays  after the eclipse. Halo around the sun Cloud cover

Getting 'oiled' in Cairns

by tropicrd Written Nov 9, 2012

If you want to do something special for yourself especially after being out on the Great Barrier reef all day or hiking through the rainforests or driving for hours and strolling around our tropical beaches and shops and you are a bit stiff and sore then go no further.

A massage at Oiled will make you feel so relaxed and pampered and get you ready to enjoy the rest of your holiday .

My son gave me a gift certificate and it was the best thing he could have given me,I felt so good after their 90 minute signature massage.What a treat!

I was welcomed into their salon and was respectfully consulted as to what I wanted and of course if I had any injuries or sore spots. I was then offered filtered water and a choice of aroma therapy oils from a large selection. I chose a citrus blend of orange & lime the base oil is pure Australian golden jojoba.
    The massage rooms were spotlessly clean and the towels soft and fresh. The light was dimmed giving an ambiance second to none. The music is soft and it nearly puts you to sleep.
    No loud music,talking , crowds or traffic noises.Perfect!! even though it is in the Cairns CBD City Place.

I had a full body deep and soft tissue and pressure point massage starting from my feet,legs, back and lower back,shoulder and neck,arms and hands and finishing with a head massage. At a cost of $108. A foot massage on its own will cost $24 or a head,shoulder and neck massage for $36 they offer different prices for what you want but this will give you an indication of prices.

I was treated with the utmost respect and dignity and I know you will be treated like this too..'oiled' is for all age groups and they also cater for remedial massage after an injury.

The girls have excellent skills and qualifications in Japanese Shiatsu and I would recommend you go see for yourself how good this place is. When your massage is finished you can take your time to recover.They also have a guest book to sign and I read some of the great comments by those who have been massaged here..it is a 'strictly massage' only salon. I am a senior person and was treated with utmost dignity.

The girls were only to happy for me to take some photos and ask them questions about the salon.

So, why not pamper yourself and get 'Oiled' when you are visiting Cairns.

It really is the best thing to do for yourself. I did and I live here.

A lovely selection of oils to be 'oiled' with. A spotlessly clean massage room. A very happy time after my massage. Peace,dignity and serenity at 'oiled' Just down the lane away from the noise.
    • Luxury Travel
    • Spa and Resort
    • Seniors

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

Watch the planes line up for landing.

by tropicrd Written Oct 27, 2012

I often drive along Machans Beach road ,park my car and watch the planes coming in for landing at Cairns Airport.

All types of air craft come in to land from this direction except when it is really windy and then they will take off in this direction. Either way this is a great place to watch them navigate to and fro .

The view over the reef, Cairns ranges, the Barron River and mangroves is a special tropical place to land a plane.

I have flown over this area many times but this is a different aspect because the aircraft seem to be coming right at you.

I have taken a few photo's but you have to be quick as they come in very fast.

Ready to land. Navigation strip Easy free parking. Down toward the landing strip. Lining up to land.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

Mudflats of Cairns on a cloudy day.

by tropicrd Written Oct 24, 2012

I love walking along the Esplanade of Cairns especially when the tide is out and the mudflats are exposed. The bird life and creatures that you normally would not see come out to either look for food or do what ever mud creatures do. You can hear the plop plop plop sound of the tiny mud fish and the bubbles that show you where they are.I love the mudflats on a cloudy or rainy day because it gives the area a different perspective.The mist over on the East Trinity ranges and the rain clouds are really nice.As we are heading into the wet season I make sure I come and see the mudflats before the heavy rains come.

So if you are in Cairns and it is cloudy and you want to do something then don't stay indoors, head to the Esplanade when the tide is out, make sure you take an umbrella and a camera.

Mudflats and Clouds over East Trinity ranges The tides out in Cairns. Look for the tiny mud creatures Not suitable for swimming Mudflats on the Northern end of the Esplanade

Wonderful QLD style homes

by tropicrd Written Oct 15, 2012

If you are in Cairns and want something to do,take a stroll around the inner suburbs of Parramatta Park,Bungalow,Westcourt and Manunda and check out some of the QLD style homes which are disappearing in favour of more modern houses. These houses were built high on stilts/poles to protect property and people from the tropical flooding during the wet season and also allowed air to circulate through these houses via the beautiful casement windows.These old style houses are called QLD'ers and are all within walking distance of the city.

These houses are being sold to businesses which to me is better than pulling them down,some suburbs such as Edge Hill and Whitfield have built modern style QLD'ers and use brick instead of weatherboard.

I hope you enjoy seeing what is now considered a part of Cairns history.

A grand old QLDer. Beautiful casement windows So pretty Decorated Casement windows Businesses buying the QLDers

Boardwalking in Cairns.

by tropicrd Updated Oct 1, 2012

Spend some time doing a boardwalk along the south end of the Cairns pier,it gives you a lovely view of Trinity Inlet and across to the East Trinity ranges and beyond.I live in Cairns and often come here I was here on Oct 1st 2012 (yesterday)

The boardwalk also has some nice shady areas you can sit and rest and watch the reef boats departing or returning. You can get an ice cream and drinks etc at the Reef tour terminal before and after returning from a reef outing or you can have lunch or dinner at one of the many new restaurants at this end of the boardwalk.

You can walk as far as the new Cairns passenger ocean liner terminal as it is now all inter-connecting.

A nice walking experience and best part it is free and suitable for all ages and is wheelchair and pram friendly.

Don't forget your hat,water and sunscreen.

Please enjoy.

Beautiful Trinity Inlet from the boardwalk. The boardwalk heading south along Trinity Inlet. East Trinity ranges in the background. Ice cream,drinks,reef tours along the boardwalk. Nice view of the boats in the marina.
    • Sailing and Boating

Around Cairns

by tropicrd Updated Sep 14, 2012

Hi, I am a Cairns local and there are many places you can unwind in our fair city.

We don't have a beach but what we do have is a wonderful lagoon for swimming right on the Esplanade and lots of eating places right opposite. also Cairns has our famous mudflats which are tidal, lots of birdlife and a really nice boardwalk along the esplanade. Cairns Central shopping centre has many different shops and eating places and actually won a tourist award. The business centre has cafes and pubs and lots of restaurants reasonably priced and art galleries and museum. It is a flat walkable city with interesting shops and areas---if you want to have a nice lunch and feel safe I can recommend the restaurants at the Casino--the meals at Flinders bar and grille inside the casino all cost below $12.00 Australian. The crumbed calamari is fantastic also the fish & chips. The reef trips all leave from Trinity wharf within walking distance and of coarse we have two movie complexes to choose from if you want to catch a movie.You could also do a day trip to Port Douglas or Palm Cove.
    So Cairns itself along the esplanade is affectionally called "The Nard" has shade trees, seats or grassy areas that you can relax or even read a book.

Hope this helps & have a restful time recuperating.

Regards Dorrise

A view of Cairns & Trinity Inlet. Cairns suburban sprawl. The Cairns Pier has lots of restaurants Beautiful Beaches,this is Palm Cove Fresh local produce & seafood
    • Beaches

Visit the Scarecrow family

by tropicrd Updated Sep 13, 2012

It is a lot of fun to visit the scarecrow dynasty at Mareeba QLD.
    This scarecrow family has grown over the years after a scarecrow was made to scare birds away from a mango plantation.It was called Jake, he became very popular and was set in different poses and clothes--the owner set up a stall selling pot plants next to him and locals and tourists loved him.Spurred on by Jakes popularity the owner decided it was time he had a partner so another scarecrow was made and called Lucy.It was so much fun seeing the relationship develop and each time you drive by they have had different clothes on and poses.Lucy proposed to Jake and the wedding plans started--the whole town of Mareeba got into the act and would donate clothes and other items,even a wedding dress.The gifts rolled in--accessories for the scenes.When the big day came people came from all over --dressed to the nines for the ceremony--sweets were thrown into the crowd.Since then a baby scarecrow has been born called Jed.Baby clothes and a stroller were donated. So if you are travelling up to the Cairns Tablelands at Mareeba keep an eye open for the scarecrow family. No fees/costs I often drive up this way and my last visit was Sept 2012

Scarecrow family were kidnapped & vandalised 2012 The scarecrow family 2011 The new scarecrow family-Jake,Lucy,Jed & Joy 2012

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

A most delightful suburban wetlands

by tropicrd Written Sep 13, 2012

The Cattana wetlands between Smithfield and Yorkeys Knob north of Cairns is a real treat.You can stroll around the path ways,have a picnic at the covered shelters or if you are into bird watching then there are bird hides strategically placed for your enjoyment.

There are plenty of seats situated in areas overlooking the water and bush land. I found it very quite except for the sound of the birds and rustling in the grass from a lizard.

It is all flat walking and suitable for all ages, wheelchairs,prams,cycles etc.

It is free and the entrance has public toilets including disabled facilities.

Don't forget to take water, insect repellant and of course your camera for that special picture.

Enjoy and please leave only your footprints,rubbish bins are plentiful.

It's all about the birds and other wildlife. Road to Cattana Wetlands Great information So peaceful Picnic spots and bird hides.
    • Birdwatching
    • National/State Park

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

More Tropical plants in Cairns.

by tropicrd Updated Apr 1, 2012

If you want to do something a bit different then why not head to the suburbs and check out the locals gardens.
    It is free and all you need to have is a good pair of walking shoes,a hat and water.
    You can walk,drive or take a bus.
    Keep your eyes open for the colourful Crotons,you wont find them in the rainforests.
    The photoes I have taken are from my own premises and lots of people admire the display.

I love these tropical crotons Fantastic green foliage Colourful Crotons in my garden Wonderful tropical colours Great cycad.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

Tropical flora in Cairns.

by tropicrd Written Mar 31, 2012

If you are interested in tropical plants and flowers and have some time to stroll around the streets of Cairns and or suburbs (including the Botanical Gardens) then you will see some beautiful plants palms and ferns.

At first people are wowed by the greenery but if you look more closely then you may be surprised at all the colourful plants and flowers this area has to offer.

I have no idea what the botanical names are but I still love taking photoes and hope you enjoy them. Best thing is it is free and all you need is a good pair of walking shoes, camera,hat, sunscreen,insect repellent and water.

Beautiful Tropical Gardens Simply stunning This colour attracts wild life. Poking out from the foliage. Unusual beauty.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

HAVE A SWIM AT THE LAGOON..

by DennyP Written Jan 8, 2012

CAIRNS
    the temperature was extremely hot when I arrived in Cairns and wanted to have a swim. I soon found out that this was a no no as the sign said beware of crocodiles!! wheere I was staying was right on the boardwalk and a great place it is with its lovely maicured lawns and free BBQ areas..but the seafront was just mud flats and not very appealing at all especially at low tide.
    At the city end of the "boardwalk" is located "The lagoon" this is a wonderful swimming complex cared for by the lacal council and is just a wonderful free swim spot that is free of any of those "nasties" that seem to plague the water here in the tropics..
    This is a wonderful place for all the family with a shallow area for the little kids and also deeper areas for adults...This is extremely cool and clean...The lagoon is surrounded by areas with some shady areas also to sit out on your towel weather it be grass or sand.. A great spot indeed.

CAIRNS LAGOON..SUCH A GREAT CLEAN SPACE TAKE NOTICE OF THE SAFETY SIGNS

Latest: Aug 8, 2014
Mango Lagoon Resort & Wellness Spa
Latest: Aug 17, 2014

Instant Answers: Cairns

Comments

Cairns Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cairns locals.
Map of Cairns