Caloundra Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Caloundra

• keida84's Profile Photo

The Hogs Breath Cafe: Don't let the name scare you away

by keida84 Written Jun 9, 2005

The restaurant sits on the wharf overlooking the small harbor. I had read about it in a travel guide and wanted to see it for myself. The interior is covered with coasters, license plates (hey there were 2 from California) and other various memorabilia. It has great ambience and is a nice restaurant to take the kids to.

Favorite Dish: We were having a "Nacho Jones" and when we saw Nachos on the menu, well we jumped at the chance. Now what I am about to write is not a bad review, because the Hogs Breath cafe makes very good food, just not nachos.

The Hogs Breath Cafe needs to remove this item from its menu either that or hire some one who knows how to make them. The salsa tasted like cocktail sauce with relish in it, the cheese if you could find any was thin and without substance, there were no olives or refried beans to be found.

The service was wonderful and we looked at the plates going by ladened with other types of food, steak, fish, chicken and everyone looked quite happy.

So stop by the Hog's Breath Cafe and give them a try, just don't order the Nachos!!

Inside the Hog's Breath Cafe

• keida84's Profile Photo

Portovino Italian Cafe': A bit of a strange feeling to this place.

by keida84 Written Jun 9, 2005

We wanted to eat in and not take away, but when we placed our order the hostess informed us we could not buy the size pizza we wanted (a large) nor would they allow us to drink anything over 8 ounces at the table.

The larger sized pizza and the bigger soda pop could not be consumed in the restauarant). Now how weird is that?

Well, despite the fact that we had to both order small pizza and have a can of regular Cocoa Cola, we did find that the pizzas at Portovino is excellent! I highly recommend it, in part because of the location and most certainly the food was good.

They are open 7 days a week from 4 pm to 9 pm

Favorite Dish: Pizza with Olives and pepperoni and my husband had a Portovino supreme which was full of mushrooms (ick) and bacon, ham tomato, salami, capsicum, garlic, olives and cheese.

Hogs Breath Cafe: Wonderful prime rib

by stevemt Updated Apr 23, 2013

The Hogs Breath chain is great. Their prime rib is to die for and they serve it in two sizes. Regular and small.

Believe me the small is enough

NB** This restaurant has now moved from its origional position, I have amended the address here, and will eventually get a new photo up :)

Favorite Dish: The Avocado prime rib.

Oh boy you have to try it

Coffee Cat on kings: Coffee on Kings Beach

by pedroswift Written Jan 12, 2013

Hey!! This location for a Coffee House is superb.
    Waterfront location. Jump out of the surf, park the board and order a coffee - all in one minute flat. Make mine a flat white please!
    Walk the Bulcock Beach Boardwalk just after sun-up. Stop for an extra heart-starter. It opens early.
    Driving down from your holiday unit? The cul de sac location has parking.
    The dining deck is in the shade of a grove of pandanus palms plus a large shade structure that overlaps the beach and the coastal path. Furniture on the deck is quaint but functional.

But wait there's more! They also hire out surfing equipment and can arrange surfing lessons as well!

Favorite Dish: We stopped for coffee during early morning walks that originated/finished at the western end of Bulcock Beach (Tay Ave).
    We enjoyed a coffee made from a highly regarded brand - Lavazza Super Crema.
    We have not eaten there as yet but will do so next visit. We have no reason to doubt that we will enjoy doing so based on the large number of patrons enjoying their breakfasts.

great people watching spot prices are right!!
    • Beaches

Tides - waterfront dining: Good Food with a Waterfront View

by pedroswift Updated Jan 15, 2013

We recently (Jan 2013) celebrated a significant anniversary at Tides which could well be one of the best restaurants in Caloundra. More discriminating judges than myself have awarded Tides accolades placing it in the top eighteen on the Sunshine Coast.
    Certainly the location is hard to beat - upstairs corner location overlooking Pumicestone Passage.
    Decor is very up-market. Fittings, linen and tableware a cut above.
    Food. Tides offers a choice of five entrees (average price $17) plus a selection of oysters.
    Mains cover the usual food groups: beef, pork, duck, seafood (3 types) - (prices around $34) plus a seafood platter ($65). There is a choice of 5 desserts ($14). A chef's tasting formula is available for $75 - plus $ 50 for wines matching each course.
    The wine list is extensive and there are many choices available by the glass. I usually give people an idea of prices by quoting the price of Champagne... Pol Roger is $28 a glass and $120 per bottle but there are many more less expensive wines ...average $9 per glass with bottle prices ranging from $28 to $100 plus.
    Good selection of local and imported beers ( 18 - $5.5 - 8)
    Opening hours: Monday to Sunday 12 noon until late.
    Plenty of Parking on the Esplanade.
    Disabled access with two small steps.

Staff were knowledgeable and very attentive.

Recommend that you book to reserve a table with the best view!!

Favorite Dish: Madam and I shared an assiette de chef as a starter. It consisted of oysters, prawns, chevre, and salad - very tasty with glasses of sparkling wine ( $9 for Australian $14 for French).
    Our Mains were Fillet of Beef w shaved potato and parmesan pave, asparagus and Truffle red wine jus ($38). He elected to try the roast Duck Leg with crispy porcini and duck cigar, beetroot cous-cous and berry reduction ($34). We drank wines by the glass to suit our meals.
    As usual we elected to pass the sweets course.
    We both enjoyed our meals. Taste and presentation top class!
    We'll be back again - perhaps for lunch to enjoy the view.

overlooks the water duck for him fillet steak for her
    • Wine Tasting

The Coffee Club - on the Esplanade: Coffee & more with Waterfront View

by pedroswift Updated Jan 13, 2013

We have sought waterfront dining places all over the world. Good ones are few and far between. Here is one located with stunning views and heaps of people watching opportunities. A slight down side is the intervening road but that doesn't block the view.
    The Coffee Club in the Rumba complex overlooking Bullcock Beach and the Pumicestone Passage Bar* is a great place for Coffee and cake or more substantial meals.

*This is not a “bar” where you have a drink. It’s the estuary where the waterway separating Bribie Island from the mainland meets the sea.

Opening Hours - Sunday - Thursday from 7am - 9pm and Friday and Saturday from 7am - 10pm.

Check out the tip on the benefits of the Coffee Club Loyalty Programme on my Australia Page.

Favorite Dish: Menu information

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo

Jerome's Italian Restaurant: Top rate Italian restaurant

by amandajayne81 Written Dec 11, 2008

We got takeaway which was a shame because the restaurant is really well decorated to make it feel like it is in an Italian arcade. The food was fabulous once we got it home so I would imagine it would be awesome fresh.

Favorite Dish: We tried the prawn/garlic/parsley pizza (I am feeling hungry just thinking about it) and the chicken and avocado creamy pasta. Would recommend both. Delicious and I love my Italian food and come from an Italian community. Some of the best I have tried.

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo

Something Blue cafe, restaurant and bar: Something Blue didn't make us blue!

by amandajayne81 Written Dec 11, 2008

In the same general area as Jerome's Italian restaurant is another great place. We ate in here and had the Tuesday night special (great steak for under 20 dollars and I am pretty sure that included the class of wine.) They have entertainment some nights but not when we were there. That said also family friendly.

Favorite Dish: Porterhouse Steak is my pick although my grandfather thinks that the carbonara is the best there as he has had anywhere.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

GOLDEN BEACH TAVERN: NICE SETTING

by balhannah Written Apr 4, 2014

A wet day in Caloundra, so no use being outside, so instead we headed to the Golden Beach Tavern.
    It is very easy to find, as it is on the Caloundra Road [main road into Caloundra], and is situated on
    the corner of Baldwin street/Caloundra Road.
    On the Caloundra road side, is a sculpture of a Surfer, then near the entry doors, are sculptures of a Turtle and Frog.
    Inside the building is quite modern. It has a Games room, Sports Bar, Childrens room, Café, Restaurant, Terrace dining and plenty of off -street parking.

The Lunch Menu was quite reasonable and a had a good array of dishes to choose from. I decided on Flathead fish and chips with salad, which cost $14.95. It was beautifully presented and very nice, although I was a little disappointed with the salad.
    I couldn't complain about my meal, but the people who had steak said it was tough.

Flathead, chips & salad Frog sculpture Turtle sculpture Surfer Sculpture
    • Casino and Gambling

Tides: Beautiful food

by stevemt Written Oct 2, 2008

Wonderful restaurant, great food.

I was there for lunch and the $25 3 course offering is great

Favorite Dish: The $25 three course lunch is wonderful

Alfies: Good and filling

by stevemt Written Jan 2, 2010

Very good local food and very well priced.

Their small sized dishes are big enough for most people as a main.

Their seafood platters for 2 look fantastic (I saw three of them go out)

Instant Answers: Caloundra

Comments

Caloundra Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Caloundra restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Caloundra sightseeing.