Caloundra Things to Do

plenty of space for fishing
    by pedroswift
    boardwalk - check out the trees
    muscle trim time

Best Rated Things to Do in Caloundra

Sun Coast Tours

by keida84 Written Jun 9, 2005

I wanted to get out and see the sights while my husband relaxed with his book out on the balcony/patio. I had heard about the Eumundi Market while I was researching this trip. I found out that Suncoast Tours offered a trip, for $20.00 AUD I was "chauffered" along with 4 other couples in a van which took us to the marketplace.

The van had door to door service and came right to the front of the hotel's front doors. Our driver, Steve had lots of good information about the local areas we were passing through on our way to the market. Upon our arrival, he gave us a coupon for either a free coffee or a beer.

We agreed to meet up with him in a couple of hours. Then he drove us back via the way of a quaint little town called "Mooloolaba". I made mental note to come and visit this community.

Suncoast Day Tours offers a variety of tours: Wild Dolphin Feeding, Afternoon wine tasting, Shopping and sightseeing, Monteville and the Eumundi Marketplace.

To Market, To Market

Eumundi Market

by keida84 Updated Apr 4, 2011

You can find the Eumundi Market in the little town of Eumundi. Their policy is it must be: baked, designed, hand sewn or grows. Every Saturday and Wednesday, under the shade of the Hertitage fig, the marketplace comes alive with people from all walks of life to purchase fruit, vegetables, to hand crafted items such as a "didgeridoo" an aboringinal instrument that makes a queer yet pleasant sound.

Stop and taste the items the market has to offer. I tried the small round pancake puffs (the name eludes me) with butter, lemon juice and powdered sugar, mmmm mmmm good! Addendum: "Colzy" Colleen wrote me and told me the name of these of pancakes, they are known as: "poffertjes". Thanks Colleen!

Tents shelter the crafts

Magic Bus, Magic Bus

by keida84 Written Jun 9, 2005

The songs from the "Who" and the "Doors" popped into my head everytime I saw the Blue Bus.

If you are too tired to walk, or the place you want to go is too far then I highly recommend SunBus. We were able to board the bus up the corner from our hotel. I never did get the fares straight because it seemed to change with every different driver.

However, we rode the bus one day up to Mooloolaba and the shopping centre in Kawana.

Buses will run late in some areas but in Caloundra they only ran ubtil 6:00pm or 1800.

The fares were reasonable and it was an inexpensive way to get around and see the sights. (we did not want to rent a car as driving on the opposite side of the road just didn't mesh with our brains).

Make sure you check the schedule careful due to route changes, seasonal changes or holiday schedule changes.

Meet me in the back of the Blue Bus

The Caloundra Beaches

by keida84 Written Jun 9, 2005

There are many terrific beaches to visit along the area of the pumice stone passage and Bribie Island.

Golden Beach: A sheltered beach protected by the pumice stone passage.

Bulcock Beach: Is know for it's fishing spots

Kings Beach: Good Surfing and popular with families

Shelley Beach: Great for walking

Moffat Beach: Awesome views of the area

Dicky Beach: Very popular beach. There is a ship wreck on its shores

Currimundi Beach: Has a lake inside the park. Good surfing as well.

Wurtulla Beach: Long, unpatrolled beach

Kawana Beach: Excellent surf and views

All of these beaches offer something for everyone.

Bulcock Boardwalk
    • Eco-Tourism

Caloundra Cruises

by keida84 Updated Jun 9, 2005

We took the Caloundra Cruise and as luck would have it, the night we took this trip was the last cruise of the season, Australia's winter started the next day.

There are several tours Caloundra Cruises offers. A daytime tour departs from Pelican Waters Tavern or try the departures from the Maloja pier. Each area offers two different times, morning or afternoon.

We opted for the sunset cruise. This sixty minute cruise takes you through the embayment. You are offered a glass of wine or a beer. The latter which my husband spilled all over the back of the boat!

How beautiful the water is and the sunset was just gorgeous.

The tours operate on a seasonal basis so check with them to see if the cruise you are interested in is in fact, running.

The cost was $20.00 AUD

Caloundra Sunset
    • Cruise
    • National/State Park

Internet at the Beach

by keida84 Written Jun 9, 2005

Here is a recommendation for an Internet Cafe that sits across from the beach. It is called "Shore Works Giftware and Internet Cafe".

They are open from 9:30am and close at 8:30pm. There are several computers for use and the price is $2.00 AUD for 15 minutes of use.

Smart idea this guy had putting the internet cafe in his gift shop, there were 2 women waiting for their husbands to finish using the web, so they did some shopping while they waited. Pretty clever, eh?

Internet anyone?

• keida84's Profile Photo

Facials: One body and two "faces"

by keida84 Updated Jul 10, 2005

I enjoy Day Spas and whenever I travel I always like to make sure I get a massage or facial. I had a facial at "Aquarius Massage & Body Treatments Center." I must say that the ladies who run this Day Spa were quite accomodating for a short notice visit.

But what I really want to tell you about is a service they offer, and this is NO joke! They offer "butt facials" I saw this on the wall, I kid you not! I repressed the urge to bust out laughing because I wanted to know if this was for real?!

I asked the esthetician if in fact "butt facials" were popular. She said, "Oh yes, matter of fact I have one right after you" and she was serious, too!

Okay, I have heard it all, Butt facials, why would anyone in the world want a butt facial? I suppose if you were wearing a thong. Or then again it cuold be for those folks that have their head up their A**.

Everytime I think about it I ROFLMAO!

Get your
    • Spa and Resort

AUSSIE WORLD @ ETTAMOGAH PUB

by balhannah Updated Apr 4, 2014

Just a short drive from the Caloundra turn-off

Its not only for Adults, the children can have fun here as well, at the Aussie World Fun Park.
    There are a lot of different rides that you can do, and the whole family could join in as well on som

OPEN.. DAILY from 9am to 5pm. Rides start at 10am. Closed Christmas Day.
    ADMISSION $29 Per Person OR $99 Per Family
    Please check the website for up to date information.

• Theme Park Trips
    • School Holidays

Ettamogah Pub

by balhannah Updated Apr 4, 2014

This Pub is just a short drive from the Caloundra turn-off.

To look around the Pub and other buildings here, its FREE.

Being older, we just like to stop and have a look around every now & then when we visit the Sunshine Coast.
    Inside the Pub, you'll find cartoons, hope you know which is which if you visit the Toilet!
    Here, you will see the Australian sense of humour!

On top of the Pub roof, is an old 1927 Chev Truck, Meant to have landed there in the 1948 floods, Of course, not true, wonder if anybody believes that yarn?

There are souvenir shops here, and a outdoor eating area, or you can go upstairs in the Pub, for Bluey's Bar & Grill, from 11 - 8pm.

The Ettamogah Pub is open from 9am till late.

There is another Ettamogah Pub near Albury in Victoria.

Ettamogah Pub The Dog Kennel

GOLDEN BEACH

by balhannah Updated Apr 4, 2014

As you head into Caloundra from Brisbane, turn right into Landsborough Park Place which joins the Esplanade road.

This is a quieter beach area of Caloundra where families come. It is where Pumicestone Passage enters the Ocean, so the water is calmer in here and is quite shallow in places. [see photo's] The land that you see on the opposite side, is the Northern end of Bribie Island.

All the way along is lawned areas, a walkway, plenty of tables/chairs, shelter sheds, bbq's, Toilets and bench seats for just enjoying the view.

This area is quite popular with Kite - Surfers. When saw quite a few out on the water, so we sat and watched the action for a while.
    Other people were walking their dogs, fishing, and some were out on the water with their kayaks.

Golden beach & Pumicestone passage Golden beach Golden beach Kite surfers at Golden Beach
    • Water Sports
    • Kayaking

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo

Australia Zoo - Great day out

by amandajayne81 Written May 16, 2008

I love this place. If I lived closer I would get a year pass and go every weekend. Great selection of Australian animals and crocs of course but starting to build up a lot of non natives also.

I never saw Steve and have only seen the rest of the family in a car driving past but you don't need to see them to have a great day. But do tell little kids they probably won't see Bindi to avoid disappointment.

I just love all the animals and the shows. You can get very close to lots of different ones and even feed the elephants and have photos with dingos. Lots to do. A day is only long enough to just see everything.

We went once in January and nearly died of heat despite the zoos best efforts with water misters and the abundant shade. If you can try to go Autumn, Winter or Spring.

I could go on and on. Just love the whole place. Easily visited from the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane. Huge parking areas.

Taken from the website May 2008

Adult Ticket: $52.00

Pensioner Ticket: $41.00

Student Ticket: $41.00

Child Ticket: $31.00

There are so many of these cute guys
    • Zoo

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

Visit Queensland Aviation Museum

by pedroswift Updated Jan 13, 2013

The Queensland Air Museum is located at Caloundra Aerodrome. Any aviation nut worth his salt would give his eye tooth to visit this remarkable collection of over 70 aircraft plus other exhibits.
    The museum is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the preservation of Queensland and Australian aviation history.The museum is run totally by un-paid volunteers – some with aviation engineering practical skills – some without.

Exhibits are housed in two large hangers and there are several aircraft out in the open. The collection is quite vast with both civil and military aircraft that have played a big part in the aviation history of Australia. Allow at least three hours for an orientation visit and return for a look at specific sections you find interesting.

A major addition to the collection soon to be housed in the main entry building is
    a General Dynamics F Triple One ( F-111) recently phased out of Royal Australian Air Force active service. F-111C A8-129 will be on loan from the Royal Australian Air Force and should be delivered in early 2013.

The Museum runs an Open Cockpit Weekend which is held on the middle weekend of the Queensland school holidays. 29-30 June 2013 9:00am till 4:00pm. As the name suggests, the cockpits of several aircraft are opened for public inspection. Museum visitors are invited to actually sit in the cockpits of selected aircraft or check out the seating arrangements in passenger sized aircraft which may include a Caribou, Fokker Friendship, Douglas DC-3.

Another non-static display is the awesome sight and sound of a 1500 horsepower 14 cylinder radial engine ( among others) powering up on Engine Run Days. Next run - Saturday 12 January 2013 - 10.00am until 4.00pm also Sat 6 April 2013 and open cockpit days listed above.

The Museum is open daily (except Christmas Day) from 10.00am until 4.00pm.
    Admission cost - Adults $12; Concessions $9; Children $7; Family $29 (extra $1 on engine run & Open Cockpit Days).
    The Museum is on one level with convenient wheelchair access except to "above ground level" displays. A wheelchair is available for loan to Museum visitors. Cold drinks, books, DVDs, model kits and souvenirs are sold at the QAM Shop.

A map of the layout with each display marked on it is provided. However, absolute aviation nuts would be well advised to check the website for comprehensive details on the history of specific aircraft in which they have a special interest.

Great Display....I'm going back after the F-111 is in place!!!

Victa Airtourer trainer Typical information board for each display Caribou in the outside area - workshops behind WESTLAND WESSEX H.A.S. MK 31A N7-217 C/N WA217 Sign at entry door to Museum
    • Museum Visits

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo

Underwater World at Mooloolaba

by amandajayne81 Written May 16, 2008

Great place to visit on a rainy day (not that we get many of those in Queensland!) or anytime.
    With over 5 500 sea creatures there is a lot of learning and viewing. Probably not as much interaction in the original section but the newer parts are fabulous. Lots to see allow for at least 2-3 hours to have a good look. Less would be a breeze through but to see and read everything you would need all day.

I have been going since I was a little kid and every visit it improves. Very professionally done.

The setting on the Wharf is great as there are eateries and shops and the water right there. Heaps of parking and the whole venue (not the parking) is indoor so in the middle of a hot summer it can be nice and cool.

I love the seal show. A definite for animal lovers young and old BUT if I really had to choose Australia Zoo would be my choice every time except in the middle of our boiling hot summers when I would choose Underwater Worlds air conditioning!

I took the following straight of the website in May 2008
    GENERAL ADMISSION
    Adult $26.50
    Child (3-15yrs) $16.00
    Concession* $19.00
    Family (2 adults & 2 children) $73.00
    Extra Child on Family Pass $12.00

Cute otter - bit on the nose though!
    • Aquarium

CURRIMUNDI LAKE

by balhannah Updated Apr 4, 2014

Currimundi Lake is the ideal spot for families with small children as it provides a safe, sheltered area for swimming, patrolled by Surf Lifesavers. Do take note what colour the Life-savers flags are - red & yellow means safe to swim. Swim between the flags and do the right thing!
    Take care where the lake meets the surf because of strong currents when the tide is changing.

Good fishing can be had all year round and you can enjoy a stroll along the river's edge, or head through the nearby park.

We came here to enjoy our lunch under the trees with water views -nice and peaceful.

Toilets and showers are available and the park has barbecue and picnic facilities. Shops and a cafe are nearby.

Where Currimundi Lake enters the Ocean Currimundi Lake Picnic area by Currimundi Lake
    • Water Sports
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Hiking and Walking

HEADLAND WALKWAY

by balhannah Updated Apr 4, 2014

The Headland walkway is a lovely walk from Moffat Beach to King's beach. As you walk along the path, look down, here you will find bronze plaques with the names of personnel that have served in the past conflicts. The ANZAC War Memorial is located here too.
    The views of the Ocean and in the distance of Caloundra, King's Beach and the Glass House Mountains are lovely from the high track.

When walking, keep your eyes peeled for wildlife. We saw the Blue Tongue Lizard (in my photo), lazing on the lawn, enjoying the sun!
    If you happen to see him flick his tongue, you will notice it is Blue

Blue Tongue Lizard on the walk Looking towards caloundra War Memorial
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Caloundra

Comments

Caloundra Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Caloundra things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Caloundra sightseeing.