Carnarvon National Park Off The Beaten Path

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

An island of fungi

by iandsmith Written Jul 19, 2012
    Pycnoporous coccineus, bracket fungus

From the trail at around crossing 12 or so I looked over and saw a flash of orange. I knew it was bracket fungi of a fairly common type in Australia called pycnoporous coccineus....actually I didn't know that last bit, I had to look it up, but I have seen it regularly on my rainforest bushwalks.
    So, it looked like a good specimen so I hacked my way through the bush, forded the stream and made it to the log; except what I had seen represented less than one percent of what was on the log.
    There were at least 5 different types and they were in profusion, mostly bracket fungi strewn up and down the logs that had been cast aside by the water in the last flood. It was an unexpected bonus for me and I spent the next ten minutes getting shots that no-one else imagined would be there for the taking.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park
    • Photography

• balhannah's Profile Photo

VIRGIN ROCK & MT. ZAMIA

by balhannah Written Jun 29, 2010

Virgin Rock & Mt. Zamia

Some of the interesting Mountains we saw around Springsure were Mount Zamia and the Virgin Rock, which is situated four kilometres from Springsure, on the eastern side of Mount Zamia.

TheVirgin Rock has been named such, because of its naturally formed likeness to the Virgin Mary and Child. I hope your imagination is better than mine! We saw this travelling the Gregory highway to Carnarvon Gorge.

Springsure is sitting in a delightful valley with spectacular Mount Zamia and the famous Virgin Rock overlooking the town and is home to the Zamia Parklands that incorporates the Rich Park Historical Complex, the heritage listed 1868 hospital and Bauhinia Shire Art Gallery.

The spectacular cliffs are floodlit at night and can be viewed from the Lions Park, I would love to see this!

• balhannah's Profile Photo

ROAD TRIP TO SPRINGSURE

by balhannah Written Jun 29, 2010

Springsure township

Springsure is a very typical Queensland country town nestled below the Capricorn Highlands with the local landmark Mount Zamia.

We stopped here on our way to Carnarvon Gorge National Park. I thought it was a rather nice small town, set in a very pretty setting.
    The area around Springsure was first explored by Ludwig Leichhardt during his 1844-45 journey through central Queensland.
    Some kind of town sprang up at Springsure as early as 1859, this was met by Aboriginal resistance, with the biggest massacre of Whites recorded in Australian history taking place here.

It is still possible to see the mass grave in which the victims were buried at Mount Helmut station. Ask at Old Rainworth Station for more details.

Cattle duffers, the Kenniff brothers came to Springsure in 1891 after being convicted of stock stealing in northern New South Wales.

The rich black clay soil around here, when irrigated, has produced a range of crops including sunflowers. In season the fields of sunflowers to the south of the town put on a spectacular display.
    In the Jaycees Park is a huge Pattern Comet Windmill with a diameter of 24 feet, and the head weighs 2.4 tonnes. It was originally erected at Johnnies Bore on Cungellela Station, near Springsure.
    We also saw a couple of museums. In William Street is the Fly'n Horse Shoe Museum with displays of early memorabilia from the local area.

The Historical Museum is an old slab hut which is open throughout the day (displays are behind strong netting) and is unattended.

Instant Answers: Carnarvon National Park

Comments

Carnarvon National Park Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Carnarvon National Park off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Carnarvon National Park sightseeing.

View all Carnarvon National Park hotels