Fitzroy Island Favorites

Sand Crab in my hand.
    by seamandrew
    A nice little shaded spot on the beach.
    by seamandrew
    Fitzroy Island seen from the Ferry
    by Alain_Smeets

Most Recent Favorites in Fitzroy Island

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

The little Sand Crab.

by seamandrew Written Sep 18, 2004

Sand Crab in my hand.

Favorite thing: Fitzroy Island is certainly teeming with wildlife. Most of it is of course from the sea, but they still count. If you head towards Little Fitzroy island, there is are a number of rocks on the beach when explored more closely, yield a huge amount of sea creatures. I was fortunate to see crabs, sea snails, limpets (aka slipper shells), mussels, barnacles, hermit crabs, and even one starfish.
    For a lover of the marine world, this was what I called paradise.

Fondest memory: After running around for a while, probably stressing them more than I should have, I finally cornered one of these little crabs and managed to observe it a bit closer. Twice, this little guy jumped of my hand, managed to catch it before it landed on the floor. It was such a treat getting to admire this magnificent creature. I'm sure it was scared out of its wits, but I treated it with extreme care and released it in a nice, cool, wet spot.

• Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

A nice shaded spot.

by seamandrew Written Sep 18, 2004

A nice little shaded spot on the beach.

Favorite thing: One of the best things about Fitzroy Island is it's proximity to Cairns. Just a swift 45 minute ride away, it is so easy to get to. Within moments, you leave a small, touristy city, and make your way to a tropical paradise. The weather in this part of the world is warm so be sure to find yourself a nice shaded spot to lounge about in.

Fondest memory: Our main reason for visiting Fitzroy was to do the Scuba dive from the island. After that was done, we had several hours to kill and we had one thing in mind for that. A quick hike and lots of relaxation. Well to ensure that we relaxed well, we found ourselves a nice shaded spot under a very vibrantly green tree and enjoy the sounds of the ocean and the cool breeze that blew gently past us in the shade.

• Adventure Travel
    • National/State Park
    • Beaches

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo

earplugs, never leave home without it!!!!!

by Alain_Smeets Written Feb 7, 2004

Favorite thing: Can you imagine that you have to make a 3-daypack in 5 minutes, well if you can then you know that you can forget some things like a toothbrush or earplugs. And if you have then a guy there who is snoring the whole night and keeps the other 3 of us awake. Then you can imagine the curses that we made the next morning under the shower. That was a sight to hear, I can tell you. But my earplugs that could have give me a good nights rest were in my big backpack in the hostel.

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo

Fitzroy Island

by Alain_Smeets Updated Feb 7, 2004

Fitzroy Island seen from the Ferry

Favorite thing: Fitzroy Island is small but has a lot to offer for a visitor, like bush walking, relaxing, snorkelling, beaches, ... The most of the island is a national park and a small area of the island is given to a resort.

Fitzroy Island was once part of the mainland, but after the last ice age (6000 years ago) the sea took possession of the area between the mainland and the island.

For the Gunghandji Aboriginal people who live on the mainland has the island a spiritual meaning. During the Dreamtime there was a person named Gulnyjarubay who came to the area and named the island Gabara ('the fist'). It was their way of saying that the arm and the wrist are beneath the water and that only 'the fist' is coming out of the water. The Gunghandji Aboriginal people have used Fitzroy Island for thousands of years as place for hunting and fishing.

In 1770 it goods his name from Captain Cook who was the first European to see Fitzroy Island. He named the island after the Duke of Grafton who was the Prime Minister when James Cook left England.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Nudie Beach

by Marpessa Written Feb 7, 2004

Favorite thing: Generally if you are on the 'nudie beach' you will see naked people - so be prepared. (I was going to put this in the 'warning' tip section). The great thing about the nudie beach is that it is the best beach on the island - the other main one has only coral, no sand.

Remember sunscreen! (And that, at about 2.30pm, the kayak people will be passing this side of the island).

Enjoy!

Instant Answers: Fitzroy Island

Comments

Fitzroy Island Favorites

Reviews and photos of Fitzroy Island favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fitzroy Island sightseeing.

View all Fitzroy Island hotels