Fitzroy Island Off The Beaten Path

Nudey Beach Track begins at this sign.
    Tidal Pool by the beach.
    by seamandrew
  • The big boulder in the water is Bird Rock.
    The big boulder in the water is Bird...

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Fitzroy Island

Tidal Pools or Fresh water pools

by seamandrew Updated Mar 31, 2005

Tidal Pool by the beach.

In a couple of spots on the island, I came across these crystal clear pools of water that I couldn't figure if they were tidal pools or fresh water pools. I think it depended on the location really, but I guess I could have figured it out by tasting the water. I was too afraid of contracting Giardia or some wierd gastrointestinal parasite, so I decided against it. What I can say is that I waded into the water and enjoy the cooler temperatures. The water was kept cooler by the shade of all the surrounding vegetation. It's a nice relief from the hot sun.

• Beaches
    • National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel

Nudey Beach

by seamandrew Written Sep 18, 2004

Nudey Beach Track begins at this sign.

Well, did you really think I would post pictures of a nudey beach here. Heck, did you think I would have the audacity to take a camera to the nudey beach. I think not!

The nudey beach is accessible by hiking a small trail that takes a mere 15-20 minutes at most to hike to. When I went, there was an elderly couple (probably French) and another guy. The beach itself is really pretty, located much further away from the rest of the beaches, but it should be left to the nudists as they have no where else to go. I for one, couldn't imagine sitting on the beach in the nude in such hot weather enjoyable. Not to mention all the funny places sand has a tendencey of getting into.

• Women's Travel

Bird Rock

by seamandrew Updated Mar 31, 2005

The big boulder in the water is Bird Rock.

Walking north from the pier the beach ends in a bunch of rocks (where I caught the sand crab). Out in the water, the big massive rock is known as Bird Rock. You guessed it, it gets its name from all the birds that perch on it time and time again. Funny enough, the whole time I was looking at it and photographing it, there were no birds, but you could see evidence of bird life from the shore (hint: droppings).

• Eco-Tourism
    • Birdwatching
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: Fitzroy Island

Comments

Fitzroy Island Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Fitzroy Island off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fitzroy Island sightseeing.

View all Fitzroy Island hotels