Fraser Island Transportation

Slower than the Limit is Safer!!!
    by pedroswift
    The Rules are for YOUR safety!
    by pedroswift
    what an adventure
    by Jonnorob

Most Recent Transportation in Fraser Island

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

Restrictions on Hired 4 wheeled drive vehicles

by pedroswift Updated Mar 30, 2013
    Slower than the Limit is Safer!!!

Read the signs before you leave the mainland.
    Speed Restrictions apply. It is not necessary to drive at the maximum speed limit. It is safer not to.

Observe the Hired Vehicle Restrictions re Total number of passengers and their seating arrangements. Wear seat belts. Don't overload the vehicle. Don't carry camping gear on roof racks.

Indicate your intentions with turn indicators. Do not assume that the car you are overtaking or passing head-on is being driven by a "switched on driver"!!!

• Kitty82's Profile Photo

4WD Only.

by Kitty82 Written Dec 3, 2011

Our 4WD

To even think about going to Fraser Island you must have or hire a 4WD. Driving conditions vary and the speed limit is 35kph on inland rds and 80kph on the Seventy-Mile Beach which is an actual highway that runs up the surf side of the island.

• Kitty82's Profile Photo

Barge To Fraser Island

by Kitty82 Written Dec 3, 2011

On the Barge

In order to get onto Fraser Island you must take a barge. You can pick it up from Hervey Bay to Moon point, Wangoolba Creek or Kingfisher Resort on Fraser Island or if your like us you can pick it up from Rainbow Beach (inskip point) to Hook Point on the southeren point on Fraser island. Once your on the barge its a good idea to let your tire presser down to 20PSI. Please make sure you read the tide times and keep off beach two hours before and after high tide. Bookings must be made for the barge.

• Camping

• Fraser Island by 4WD

by Jonnorob Written Sep 6, 2011
    what an adventure

We did a great trip to Fraser a couple of months back - a great adventure in a magnificent setting. You can only go with a 4WD - we used a smaller company called Fraser Magic in Hervey Bay (the guy was german or swiss). We had a great time, with four of us in a Land Rover Defender. Visited the main sights including Lake Mackenzie and Eli Creek, but favorite spots were the southern lakes and Champagne Pools. We thought we could do it in two days, but called the company and stayed an extra day - it is simply impossible to see everything in under 3 days. They were very obliging. The truck took us everywhere we wanted to go (which was not the case with a number of others we saw stuck in the sand, especially around Indian Heads).
    Was also very impressed a few days later when they called us to ask where to send my sunglasses that they found in the truck - I thought I had lost them on the island .

• Adventure Travel

• FAMPY's Profile Photo

4 X 4

by FAMPY Updated Apr 4, 2011

The only way of getting around Fraser is by using a 4 x 4. Most hostels in Harvey Bay do 2 night self drive camping trips, they provide the 4 x 4 and everthing you need for a 2 night camping trip, except for food. This is a great way of getting around fraser and it's also a graet way of meeting people. I went with fraser roving and i would have to give them a 10 out of 10, it's a great hostel for 1 and they do a really good trip.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Day Tour With Suncoast Safaris

by Mikebb Updated Apr 4, 2011

Early Morning Rainbow Beach

We were staying at Noosa Heads and took a 4 wheel drive guided day tour. It was a very comfortable , but long day out, our journey starting with a 6:30am pickup at our hotel. Our new Toyota Landcruiser was ideal for the day, handling the drive along beaches and rainforest tracks extremely well. A champagne breakfast was served on Rainbow Beach whilst we enjoyed a BBQ lunch at McKenzie Lake including wine, beer and soft drinks. Our guide gave an excellent commentary and went out of his way to take us to the special spots. Cost for the day was Au $169 per person, well worth it.

• Seniors

Go for the 2 or 3 day Safari

by KevinMichael Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fraser Island Company tour 4WD bus.

There are a number of tour groups to choose from but, from what I can tell I think my wife and I got lucky and choose not only the best one for our 2 day safari but, we also got the best guide for the trip.

The tour that we went on took us to a number of key spots:

-Eli Creek (no big deal)
    -The Pinnacles
    -Maheno Shipwreck
    -Indian Head
    -Lake Wabby
    -Central Station
    -Lake Birrabeen (BETTER!!! than Lake Mckenzie)
    see other details on other pages for more info on each of those sites.

-We stayed overnight in a somewhat rustic but comfortable tent/cabin.

One of the best parts of our trip was our guide (Steve). If you go on this tour I highly
    recommend asking for Steve as your tour guide. Having done similiar work back in
    my YMCA days I understand how important it is to have a guide who really loves his
    work. I think this company is by far the better choice:

Steve reminded me of myself in what I used to do. Both my wife and I immensely
    enjoyed going on his tour.

To be fair we tried one of the other tour groups. It cost more but, we really didn't get
    as much out of it. It's clear that paying more in this case will not mean you're getting
    something better.

The Fraser Island Company tour (with Steve as our guide) provides a much more comfortable
    4WD vehicle with much much more leg room than the competition for a much better price.

• Photography
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Mez77's Profile Photo

Suzuki Jimny...Unbeatable!

by Mez77 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Suzuki Jimny

On my last trip to Fraser Island I hire a Suzuki Jimny. There were only two of us travelling and this little 4WD was ideal. It was light and easy to drive and didn't tend to sink into the sand like some of the bigger vehicles did.

It was also the cheapest hire vehicle that you could get at AUD$115 per day plus insurance.

There are plenty of places at Hervey Bay to hire 4WDs, but limited numbers on the Island itself.

• Adventure Travel

• FAMPY's Profile Photo

AIR FRASER

by FAMPY Written Jun 24, 2007
    AIR FRASER

You can take a plane trip around Fraser for about $60. It lasts about 20 mins and you get to see parts of Fraser Island that a 4 x 4 just won't take you also taking off and landing on the beach is woth the $60 alone.

• Myndo's Profile Photo

The place to start an excursion onto Fraser

by Myndo Written May 9, 2006
    Hervey Bay

For a day-trip or also for a several day trip unto Fraser Island you will have to start somewhere. And that somewhere almost certainly is Hervey Bay.

A very nice village by itself with excellent restaurants and beaches. A very friendly info center.
    Leave your rented car here for the trip.

Just if you come by a jetty that looks like the one iin the picture: there is a restaurant closeby with the best mussels in coconut - citron gras sauce I ever, ever had. I would go back just for that!

Get to Fraser by Ferry

by KevinMichael Written Apr 18, 2006

Fraser Island  ...and a beautiful day too

We signed on for 2 tours which also covered the cost of everything we needed to go there (permits, overnight accomodations, transportation, and food).

Apparently, it is necessary to get a lot of permits just to go and to drive around on Fraser. But, good tour packages will cover everything necessary. They will also provide pickup and dropoff services from and to your place of stay.

The ferries do have food and drinks on board.

I think, it took about an hour or so to cross to Fraser.

• Cruise

1 day safari

by KevinMichael Written Apr 11, 2006

Cramped, more expensive, lower quality experience

We also use the services of another tour group.

Our main point for doing so was so that we could see Lake McKenzie.

Honestly, we didn't enjoy this tour as much. Our tour guide was nice
    but she wasn't Steve (see my other page for more info on).

We went to the following places:

-Eli Creek
    -Lake McKenzie
    -some other places

The tour bus seats were cramped and my prescription sunglasses ended up getting
    broken (I blame myself for that but it would have been nicer if things had been more roomy).

For this we paid more money but, we felt like other than seeing Lake McKenzie, we got a
    much better deal and program using the services of the Fraser Island Company.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• didgeridorien's Profile Photo

4WD

by didgeridorien Written Mar 9, 2006

4WD in the bush

Most Backpacker hostels in Rainbow Beach and Hervey Bay have a special going on. You can do a self-drive 4WD tour with other backpackers. You'll have to buy your own food and drinks (do it before you get on the island) and you can decide where to go yourself. Make sure you inspect the car you get, cause mine had really bad tires, one of them blew and we had to pay for it. Also check for scratches and all that.
    Driving across the island yourself is an amazing experience, especially camping out with the other backpackers at night.

• Safari

• CindyLou99's Profile Photo

4WD Vehicle

by CindyLou99 Written Sep 27, 2005

While on Fraser Island, if you are planning to travel around the island at all you will probably be fortunate enough to ride in a 4 wheel drive (4WD) vehicle..It looks sort of like a mini-bus with huge wheels. If you get motion sickness maybe not such a good idea, because all the roads are pure sand and even with the huge tires the ride is anything but smooth. Its well worth it though, as the guides are very knowlegable and aren't too shabby at driving this beast of a vehicle. Also, you get to see some amazing scenery, like Lake McKenzie and go on a fabulous bush walk through the rainforest.
    We saw a couple people who had rented cars while on the Island and were trying to venture out on their own onto the sandy roads. Needless to say, they did not fair too well.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

4 WD BUS

by aussiejen Written Apr 17, 2005

4 WD BUS

We travelled with Fraser Venture Tours for the day. After a courtesy pick up from our accomodation, ferry crossing to Fraser Island, we then boarded the 4wd bus. The driver/guide provided first class commentary through out the day.

Instant Answers: Fraser Island

Comments

Fraser Island Transportation

Reviews and photos of Fraser Island transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fraser Island sightseeing.

View all Fraser Island hotels