Girraween National Park Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Girraween National Park

DIFFERENT SECTIONS OF THE PARK

by balhannah Written Nov 22, 2012

We're watching you!

After seeing all I had time for from the Bald Rock day area, it was time to move onto the area known as the Eastern Highlands in Girraween National Park.
    We drove our car along the dirt road, enjoy the scenery as we went along. Excellent views of the balancing rocks on the The Pyramid.

We saw some eastern Grey Kangaroo's in the paddock looking at us, then they decided to take off and hopped across the road infront of us......You never know a Kangaroo's mind!
    It wasn't until I was looking at the photo's, that I noticed a lizard was on the road too!
    There are long walks between sections, too long for me, and as I had limited time, it was much quicker by car.

TELL SOMEBODY YOUR PLANS

by balhannah Updated Nov 21, 2012

This really is essential in these National Parks. The paths are dirt and I could see them quite easily, but it was different when walking the sheer granite, I had to look for white marks, much easier to get lost.
    The park is so pretty, and has so many interesting rock formations, I imagine it would be quite a temptation for some people to leave the track and head throught the bush for a look. I left the path to get some photos!
    Snakes inhabit the area, so if you are bitten, you need to know what to do. If you fall over, break a limb, at least if you have let somebody know your expected return time, they will come searching for you are late.
    I walked on my own, so I left an estimated return time with my husband. I usually do the walks quicker than the estimations and are back at the car in plenty of time. At least I know, he will get help if I do not return.
    Be sensible and all will be well.

• Hiking and Walking

WALKING TRACK CLASSES

by balhannah Written Nov 21, 2012

Girraween

Before I took off on my walk, I looked at the different trails listed and the level of fitness needed for each. Australia has a track classification system based on Australian Standards.
    To give you an idea what to expect......
    A CLASS 2 TRACK is the easiest to walk. It should be fairly level and suitable for all fitness levels.
    A CLASS 3 TRACK is a well defined track with slight inclines and a few steps. You need a reasonable level of fitness and good footwear to walk this track.
    A CLASS 4 TRACK is the hardest. At Girraween, you can expect steep exposed granite inclines or many steps. Not all the track is like this.

I had my brochure I picked up from the Info centre with me, this showed me the name of the walk, the distance, approx walking time [they usually allow plenty] and the CLASS OF THE TRACK.

It was easy to choose which ones I wanted to do!
    From here on, it was just a matter of following the path and the notices. It was well signposted.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Girraween National Park

Comments

Girraween National Park Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Girraween National Park warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Girraween National Park sightseeing.

View all Girraween National Park hotels