Mossman Travel Guide

by sue_stone

Mossman Things to Do

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mossman Gorge is a lovely part of the Daintree National Park. To me, its appeal lies in the crystal clear water that runs over large boulders through the river gorge.

Just a short walk from the car park and you will come across a swimming hole, surrounded by rounded boulders and filled with photo opportunities.....and people who aren't put off by the icy water!

The gorge area is ideal for a walk (on the marked trail of course), so you can see the interesting rainforest plants, and learn more about them by reading the signs along the way. You may also be lucky enough to spot some wildlife - be it a turtle in the river or a beautiful butterfly flitting amongst the trees.

There are toilets and a picnic area near the car park, but no camping facilities.

me & Alex at Mossman Gorge
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Hiking and Walking

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

by Kate-Me Written Oct 13, 2003

This gorge really is a must see, and for me was on a par (if not even better) than the Daintree rainforest that we managed to see.
    The foliage here just seemed a bit more lush (being close to the water helps it a lot I guess), the drive in was very dark and shady and it was just great.

Take some time to admire some of the special rainforest trees, with the shaped roots immediately beside their trunks raised above the surface of the ground
    (from what I learned, this seems mainly for stability in the wet season so that the trees don't just topple over when they get flooded and water logged).

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• Mossman Hotels

2 Hotels in Mossman

Mossman Hotels

Mossman Restaurants

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

by sue_stone Written Jun 3, 2007

After a visit to Mossman Gorge we headed to the Silky Oaks Lodge for lunch. The lodge is located on the northern bank of the Mossman River Gorge, on the edge of the Daintree Rainforest.

It is an eco-friendly resort and has been constructed into the rainforest, making you feel at one with nature.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is open to the public, and its lovely open air balcony has views down into the river gorge. It was a beautiful day when we visited and, having booked ahead, we were lucky to get one of the best tables so we could enjoy the rainforest views.

Relaxed but stylish, and a bit pricy, this is a beautiful place for a meal. Service was friendly but professional, and we very much enjoyed our meal here.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Mossman

Comments

Mossman Travel Guide
Map of Mossman