Mount Tamborine Favorites

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

The dragonfly

by iandsmith Written Dec 18, 2012
    Orange threadtail damselfly

Favorite thing: I drifted into insect photography; spurred by a lady I met on a hike to Hartz Peak (see my Tasmania pages) which is where I met Raylea. I then was pushed over the edge by coming across colourful dragonflies while I did "the Lap" (around Australia) and I kept coming across them.
    Little did I know when I started that there were over 300 different types of dragonfly/damselfly and that they are called the "jewels of the sky" - with good reason. Seen in the right light at times they dazzle.
    The green eyes of the Tau Emerald literally look like emeralds when the sun is at the right angle; the reds of the fiery and/or rosy skimmers are brilliant on a sunny day while the blue of the ringtail damselfly is a beautiful thing; then the patterns on the wings of a Graphic Flutterer (where on earth did they get that name?) are something to behold. The intricate patterns on the perchers and darters have to be studied to be appreciated. All in all, it's an insect that you should get your camera out for. I hope, after viewing these images, that you agree.

Fondest memory: While I was walking Joalah I came across two species of damselfly that I hadn't seen before and have included them here.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Photography

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Joalah NP

by iandsmith Written Aug 4, 2012
    Curtis Falls

Favorite thing: Joalah National Park is part of the Tamborine group of parks, mostly small.
    However, this one is an absolute gem, particularly if you like splashing creeks and piccabeen palms.
    Though the overall walk can be done in an hour, if you're into photography you may find it takes a lot longer.

Fondest memory: Curtis Falls are the centrepiece of this park and are named after a lady who used to edit a local paper and got subscriptions with the goal of purchasing this tract of land for eternity for the public.
    I, for one, am so glad she did because this place is worthy of preservation and now enjoyed by thousands every year.
    For me, the higlight was when I sat down for a moment and a yellow throated scrubwren came and danced around me, almost within arms length, for about ten minutes while I cursed my luck with no light to speak of and having to shoot at about 1/15th of a second. Still, I managed a couple of average shots.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Hiking and Walking

• balhannah's Profile Photo

ICECREAMS & OLD FASHIONED LOLLIES

by balhannah Written Feb 10, 2010

Old fashioned Lolly shop at Joalah n/pk entrance

Favorite thing: I don't know about you, but when I am out enjoying the countryside, a stop for an Icecream is often on the cards.
    When we parked at Joalah National Park infront of shops at the "tall trees T Junction," I noticed an "Old fashioned Lolly shop" which not only sold lollies, but Icecreams as well!

So, if you are craving for 'THAT' icecream, head in here, you may come out with more than an Icecream!

ps. I only bought an Icecream!

Fondest memory: Shop is located at.....“Tall Trees” T- junction of Eagle Heights Road and Geissmann Drive.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

WHEN TO VISIT..... MOUNT TAMBORINE

by balhannah Updated Feb 10, 2010

Cedar Creek Falls walkway

Favorite thing: Mount Tamborine is in the Gold Coast Hinterland, and not far from Brisbane. It is a getaway, cooler in Summer, and in Winter, a place to enjoy sitting around a wood fire!

When to visit..............

As it is so popular, on weekends, people come here in the droves to enjoy the scenery, markets and the Crafts & Galleries area.

Weekends, and it is very hard to get a car park in the "Gallery Walk" street. Waterfalls, like the Cedar Creek Falls, only have 15 available car parks, these fill early on weekends. Other National Park areas have limited parking areas also. Picnic tables & bbq's fill, and a lot of the shops in the small towns are closed, therefore making it harder to find a place to buy a cheap takeaway meal.

If you can choose your day .....COME ON A WEEK DAY, it is much quieter, all the shops are open, and the car parks at the waterfalls were vacant. It is so much easier and more pleasant.

Instant Answers: Mount Tamborine

Comments

Mount Tamborine Favorites

Reviews and photos of Mount Tamborine favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mount Tamborine sightseeing.

View all Mount Tamborine hotels