Port Douglas Tourist Traps

by halans

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Port Douglas

• Port Village Medical Centre RIP-OFF!!!!!

by kevin1962 Written Oct 31, 2010

Whilst visiting Port Douglas on our annual holiday, I went to the Port Village Medical Centre because I had what I thought was an ear infection, the doc looked in my ear and also my throat, told me I didn’t need antibiotics and just needed some over the counter nasal spray to clear the ear drain tube. As I left the doctors office (after just a few minutes) the receptionist gave me a bill for $110.00…. I nearly passed out! Turns out this particular practice DOUBLES its usual fees if you are an overseas tourist!!!!! I rang around a dozen other doctors the next day, and they were all around the $55 mark! They are the PORT VILLAGE MEDICAL CTR, Shop 17 Port Village Shopping Centre (they have two practices)…. I complained strongly the next day and got a $40 refund! I felt like I had been mugged at the time, as the “advice” cost me $110 and the nasal spray cost me $15……

My wife and I were very upset to say the least, if not absolutely disgusted. Talk about discrimination, and businesses ripping people off… it put a real damper on our evening out and it tainted our view of Port Douglas somewhat.

I don’t know where to take this too, but I am blogging it as far and as wide as I can in order that other visitors to Port Douglas are not taken in by these robbing buggers should they require to see a doctor!

Disgraceful behaviour. I only managed to get a partial refund because they admitted not showing their prices at the time (I would have walked out had I have seen it!).

I would love to see someone take them to task over this, as I feel that they are giving Port Douglas a real black mark by doing what they are doing! They have a prominent position and are sited to catch out the unsuspecting passerby or “tourist”!... all very convenient… robbing b******s!

• Port Village Medical Centre RIP-OFF!!!!!

by kevin1962 Written Oct 30, 2010

I went to the doctors because I had what I thought was an ear infection, the doc looked in my ear and also my throat, told me I didn’t need antibiotics and just needed some over the counter nasal spray to clear the ear drain tube. As I left the doctors office the receptionist gave me a bill for $110.00…. I nearly passed out! Turns out this particular practice DOUBLES its usual fees if you are an overseas tourist!!!!! I rang around a dozen other doctors the next day, and they were all around the $55 mark! They are the PORT VILLAGE MEDICAL CTR, Shop 17 Port Village Shopping Centre (they have two practices)…. Beware …. Go elsewhere!
    I complained strongly the next day and got a $40 refund! I felt like I had been mugged at the time, as the “advice” cost me $110 and the nasal spray cost me $15…… robbing bastards! Its places like this who exploits tourists that give resorts a bad name! Shame on you!!!!!

• walsing's Profile Photo

Lagoons at Sheaton Mirage

by walsing Written Jan 7, 2010

We went here for the supposed seafood buffet that was highly recommended to us. What a mistake. Food ok - on the lower end of average. Service ok. but WHERE is the seafood. Sure there are some prawns, smoked salmon, mussels and crab in cold selection; in the hot selection there is steamed fish, BBQ fish - if you can find the cook - and oysters kilpatrick and 10 other dishes which have nothing to do with seafood. Nothing innovative. The seafood component is that which is usual in most good buffets - nothing to suggest that this is the Special seafood buffet that we thought we were getting UNTIL we got the bill. My god..... $85 per head!!!!!! this is a rip off of the first order. Average food for $85pp. You can get a full degustation menu in Sydney at a 2 chef hats rated restaurant for $85pp.

Unique Suggestions: check the price when you arrive. Try negotiating - they have lots of discount coupons and deals which they might offer you if you push.

Fun Alternatives: The Beach Shack
    Salsa
    On the Inlet
    Soul 'n Pepper

• Port Douglas is a tourist trap

by Reefdweller Updated Jul 30, 2009

We have stayed 4 times now and each time we are not happy with the quality of accommodation for the price we paid. Lots of mould in rooms, smelly and dark. No nice view from anywhere we have stayed., usually backyards, fences, car parks or into other apartments. The food at many restuarants over priced . No real entertainment. Most resorts seem empty. Pool side bars and onsite restaurants often not open. Port Douglas is nice looking but beauty is only skin deep. We kept going back because we kept thinking we were unlucky but many places appear past use by date. The time we enjoyed the most was also very expensive. So to have fun really need a fat wallet.

Unique Suggestions: Have a drink in the combined services club. Lovely setting. Some nice shops. Fish feed at On the Inlet.

Fun Alternatives: Palm Cove has been better value for us and no shuttle bus back and forward into town. So smaller and easier to go from room to dinner to beach. Dinner prices a little on the high side as well though. Trinity beach is the place to stay for ocean views. Ellis beach bungalows maybe not high rent decor, only a notch above camping, but absolute beachfront. My biggest tip though is even stay somewhere cheap and use the extra money to see the Great Barrier Reef. Too many spend all the money on bed and food and forget the reason they come and spend little on seeing it. To come a long way to see one reef is a shame. Reefs have different qualities ranging from inner to outer, the actual barrier reef different to fringing reefs. You can do different day trips, take a flight over the reef (spectacular), see the outer reef plus islands. You can even camp on some islands for $10 a night (cost is to get there) and have an island all to yourself. You can join a liveaboard or a cruise. You will never forget this but a hotel room or an ordinary meal will soon be forgotten. If you still have extra time then stay in the rainforest, options north, south and in the ranges. We saw plenty of wildlife at one little bed and breakfast place we stayed at including a cassowary. The room was fine, views from the eating area $1 million dollar views, the setting divine yet $120 only for the night. Far better value than Port Douglas and far richer memories.

• Spa and Resort

• halans's Profile Photo

by halans Written May 26, 2004

The caramaran is much larger than we expected. We are a bit dissapointed. This is mass-tourism. At least 200 or more other passengers embark on this.

Lots of seasick japanese tourists though, which was kind of funny...

Try to look for a smaller, more personalised Great Barrier Reef experience.

Instant Answers: Port Douglas

Comments

Port Douglas Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Port Douglas tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Port Douglas sightseeing.