Places to eat in State of Queensland

The soul of sole
    by iandsmith

Most Viewed Restaurants in State of Queensland

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

The Spirit House.: Can you believe this was an old cow paddock?

by wise23girl Updated Feb 24, 2012

What was once an old cow paddock is now a tropical garden. The first time I remember being so envious. How come some people are so clever I thought? A pond, waterfalls...a delight to the senses. This venue being away from the maddening crowd...no parking problems and is popular for weddings and special functions.

Most of the dining is "al fresco"

And they run a cooking school and there is a shop...just peek at the website for all that.

You might even find some frozen food on sale...from "The Spirit House"

Favorite Dish: Food tends to be Asian with a leaning towards Thai.

One of the latest ideas here is "shared dining" so you can sample more than one of the dishes on offer. "Plates are designed to share". Chinese places do this of course but not with this elegance.

I do find price per person below a bit tricky...is this for a main course or "all inclusive" or what?.
    For a sharing plate entrees , a couple glasses wine and a main you need to allow about $A80 but of course tthat does not include sweets or the most expensive fare.

From the Shared Dining menu:
    Steamed ***ake(you have to be joking this is a genuine dish) Mushroom Dumplings & Cashews with Sweet Ginger Lime Sauce.
    $14 So tasty.

Photo from website

a Spirit House dish

Marco Polo: Dine in 5 Star Heritage Splendor

by wise23girl Updated Jan 7, 2013

Marco Polo is still in the same place but the menu is more Asian and the cocktail bar area is gone...Still upmarket though 2013

Well I just love heritage buildings and this restaurant situated on the first level of the Treasury Casino is in one of the best in our young country.

Soft music was playing, the waiters moved around with quiet elegance, and the tables glistened in soft white elegant settings with marvelous decorated plates to add to the interest during our recent visit.

I have chosen to write this up under Queensland as Marco Polo certainly deserves to represent our state as well as the capital, Brisbane.

Favorite Dish: Stuffed zuccini flowers as an entree .Our host recommended this dish and it was just divine.

Crispy skin squab pigeon, red dates, daikon, wood ear mushrooms, water chesnuts and five spice consomme. This was something different for me as I usually order fish. I really enjoyed the unusual flavour.

All of the guests at our table were more than happy with the beautifully presented food. Cooked to perfection.

None of us wanted anything from the "sweet fixation" menu and the chef was happy to serve a simple "strawberries and icecream" choice...which was enjoyed by all.

There is an extensive wine list and the waiters advised us well. Just the" right drop" to suit the occasion.

Marco Polo is open for dinner Wednesday to Sunday..6pm till late . Usually you need to book especially week ends.

We dined at this table .
    • Architecture

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Emilia's: A Bit of a Find in Gympie Qld.

by wise23girl Written Jul 8, 2009

Soft Italian music playing as we open the door of Emilia's. And such intriguing decor . Really it was a "bit of a find". And right in the middle of Gympie town. Around the shop are hotels from the beginning of Gympie in the gold rush era and up the road the local RSL.

One of the locals told my daughter about Emilia's so here we were for lunch.

This is a cafe only and open Monday to Friday :8am to 5pm.

It would be a nice day trip from Sunshine Coast and you could call in to the Historical and Gold Museum as well. Or head on to Tin Can Bay and Rainbow Beach.

Favorite Dish: Giovanni and Jodi Giorno advertise as "Purveyors of Fine Delicacies, Cakes,Coffee,& Cheese.

My choice for lunch was Kilkivan ham with roast vegetables dukhkah $11.90

There were some unique desserts too :Ysha's kisses , and Vanilla Rose Petal (well if they are not unique please let me know)

Emilia's Couch Emilia's Food Emilia's

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Harry's, and Le Baroque, Buderim Tips: Some good places you could miss on Buderim

by wise23girl Updated Feb 12, 2012

Sorry for a double up but you might miss these two fine Buderim Restaurants if you do not see my Buderim Mountain restaurant tips. Now be honest did you know to look at Buderim? So now you will won't you? Look at my reviews by clicking here.

One is restaurant is local serves fresh "wild" fish that's Harrys, and the other, Le Baroque, is authentic French cuisine..

I am going to Le Baroque for lunch very soon.

Been to lunch at Le Baroque about 1,000 times and still counting since writing this tip. Took a number of different friends all of whom enjoyed it immensely...well they would it was my "shout". Michael (MICK HALE) was immensely pleased too. Even the young waiter today spoke French..."un peu" he said..well it was more than "un peu" I can tell you.

You have found Le Baroque This is Harry

Aloha's at Chevron: A Great Place for home made food

by wise23girl Updated Sep 24, 2012

Aloha's Secret Garden Is not a restaurant as such so I put the tip in under " Qld things to do" but I must tell you it is so gorgeous you must find it hidden away on Chevron Island.

Well it was gorgeous with all the cool greenery in its former life...nad though the food is still great and they now have a piano and song night on Fridays I miss the old decor....but look at the old photos for your self in the other review

Compare the decor...which do you like?

The menu is breakfast, lunch ,and morning and afternoon tea and a special tapas treat on Fridays..

Closed Monday

Favorite Dish: Oh we love "mince on toast" You do not find that around much anymore especially the home cooked variety Last visit September 2012..

• Greybilby's Profile Photo

Emerald Explorer's Inn: dining and accommodation

by Greybilby Updated Apr 4, 2011

local products and international flair goes hand in hand at the Emerald.
    but don't take my word for it, drop in when in Emerald or Rockhampton.
    right at the Gregory Highway.

Favorite Dish: the local lamb is delishes

Mad Hatters: Teas, Gifts, and Gourmet Food

by wise23girl Written Feb 23, 2010

First this delightful spot is really Sunshine Coast Hinterland but we do not have an appropriate section yet!

Well we passed by a number of times but today we stopped and enjoyed coffee and delicious home made treats.

There was a coach tour in ...enjoying scones, jam and cream. The coach driver put on a "Mad Hat" and did a bit of entertaining.

Live Music is to be heard on the 1st and 3rd Sundays.

Favorite Dish: Well I did not try all of these but just look at the names:
    Alice Breakfast
    Doormouse (Vegetarian)B'fast
    White Rabbit
    and even an Elvis offering.

And you can prebook a High Tea...I love High Teas.

Breakfast is served Saturday and Sunday 7.30am to 11am...but they offered b'fast to us today.

The picture says it all Mad Hatters Tea House

Queensland Where to Eat 2013: Treasury Casino and Hotel

by wise23girl Updated Feb 24, 2014

Well you are visiting Queensland so you have some food choices here all in one place here in BRISBANE .

Now Treasury Hotel and Casino has revamped its restaurants and eating places...."Six dazzling" places they say...well we usually eat at Treasury when in Brisbane so I thought I would run them by you in a composite review.

Now I will start with the two upmarket restaurants I prefer

Marco Polo and The Lab Bar and Restaurant.

Both have fine dining though Marco Polo has become a little more Asian now....

Marco Polo is in the main casino area upstairs and is now open Wednesday to Sunday for dinner at night only...best to book. There is one dish offered at $A250 ....Live Coral Trout (but I prefer my fish cooked...LOL)...hold it...do not run away we enjoyed a crispy whole barramundi with Asian sauce for $A39...is that a bit better? It was a good choice.

Probably still my favourite The Lab is across the park in the hotel proper and is open Monday to Saturday for dinner from 6pm.....Alert ....a few changes...now breakfast is in Ryan's Bar nearby...and maybe dinner cut back as well
    You can phone the Lab direct Ph. +61 7 3306 8647

So then there is Kitchen at Treasury*
    Well they did away with Cafe21 on the ground level and 'stuck' the more European style meals in the basement. The "Chook Pen" I call it...the Kitchen that is....poor acoustics and loud chatter and food not too bad but 'nothing to write home about' There is only one section which is not so noisy.
    Open 7 days a week ....24 hours a day...As it is in the Casino proper You must be over 18years to eat there. Prices more reasonable than the upmarket restaurants but the food is not as nice.

Then there is the Market Buffet....They promise you food fresh from the local markets...They have a Seafood Special Day...have a look at the website. Again you need to be over 18years.I have not tried this one and I doubt that I will...not a fan of buffets.

Just opened to cater for the ever increasing Asian population is Fat Noodle....'no bowl of ordinary noodles' is advertised. This cafe is on the main gaming floor ....prices are reasonable...but you need to like noodles. Open 7 days a week...dishes approx $A15 to $A19 and under 18's are allowed.

And last and maybe least inside the gaming area is 2Go Snack Bar...'Chomp and Chew'...Open every day .....buy a pizza or a meat pie...good value...within the main gaming area so you cannot take the kids.

Enjoy your meal

Favorite Dish: Prices as in January 2013.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Treasure Island Holiday Park.: Walk 2minutes for a wonderful fresh feed.

by unravelau Written Jan 22, 2004

We dined in the restaurant/bistro at The Treasure Island Holiday Park twice while we were staying there and found the food to be very fresh, properly prepared, of generous portions (even the children's meals), promptly and politely served. It was really handy having this facility on the site and they also catered to take-away which is marvelous. It is not gourmet dining by any stretch of the imagination but it is licenced and very comfortable.

Favorite Dish: I loved the chicken schnitzel and had it served with chips and a fresh side salad. My son chose a chicken with avacado and white wine sauce on one occasion and found it to be very tasty.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Tanja's Cafe: Wellington Point: Tanja's Cafe

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

During our trip throughout Brisbane and then down to the Gold Coast, we took a trip throughout the Southern Moreton Bay Scenic Drive. Halfway through the trip, we came across the small town of Wellington Point, which was a quaint little town with a lot to offer the casual traveller. As Sarah and I were both hungry, we stopped in at Tonja's.

The food was good, and the flat white coffee was the best I had on the weekend in QLD.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast Panini was very good.

Happy Guy at Tanja's

• jewels63's Profile Photo

Tuckka Restaurant: Australian Native food

by jewels63 Updated Dec 21, 2009

An intimate venue, in inner-city bohemian West End. Excellent friendly service and a menu which is creative and delicious using fresh and mostly native tuckka suitable for vegetarians and meat lovers.

Favorite Dish: Crocodile, emu, possum(New Zealand) were on our dishes with beautiful sauces and herbs and vegetables. Especially paired Austalian wines, and taste the locally produced liqueurs made with native fruits and berries.
    Desserts exquisite

• unravelau's Profile Photo

The Southport Sharks Clubhouse: Wide range of tempting meals - always fresh

by unravelau Written Oct 11, 2006

It is a little like going to the market, choosing your food from the fresh line up, ordering, then sitting to wait for it to be cooked to your liking. Of course, some things were ready to go like the choice of the day roasts, seafood and salads, but there can be quite a wait for a fantastic steak as we discovered on the 6th Oct. 2006.

My son had a rump steak that just about covered his plate, cooked to perfection and very tender. My daughter-in-law chose the seafood with salad and thoroughly enjoyed it. My grand-daughters did the chicken nugget routine with chips, while I chose the chicken parmiagiana with a salad. True to their word, the hot dishes were delivered to us piping hot along with a garlic pizza bread that didn't last five seconds after it hit the table.

All well worth the wait.

Favorite Dish: While I have only eaten one meal here, and I quite enjoyed it, I think that I would try and battle my way through a steak next time. If you go expecting the proper chicken parmiagiana, you will be disappointed although mine was beautiful and fresh.The chicken snitzel just had a light covering of the sauce where I have come to expect the traditional to be more an integrated thing... But, as I said it was fresh and wholesome.

As the driver for the day and night, my son had a huge orange juice while I had a merlot and daughter in law chose a white wine - I forget what it was but it was a well stocked bar.

• Beaches

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

George's Paragon: Seafood to die for

by iandsmith Written Sep 7, 2012

There are more than one restaurants in this chain. This one is located in Brisbane overlooking the river.
    I chanced upon it because I saw a half price sign and was tempted. I'm so glad I was.

Favorite Dish: Here I had the best sole I've ever had in a restaurant and the best service I've ever had in a restaurant. The staff even went to the extreme of taking the sole away when I'd eaten the top half and they flipped it over for me before returning it with fresh sauce. Wow, was I impressed.

Now that's a fish
    • Seniors

• I'll have to get back to you with the name!: An interesting dining experience in Queensland

by DellyM Written Sep 3, 2002

It was a kind of Service Mens Club near a farm we stayed on in the Tablelands. It's the first time I've had roasted pumpkin and pumpkin bread....both were delicious. It was a laidback atmosphere, the kind of place where folks went to sit back with a beer for a chat with their mates.
    I think that the drinks were cheaper here because it was a members bar. We were asked to sign in as guests, but they didn't seem to have any problem with people just signing in, as opposed to having to become members.

Favorite Dish: Oh, I think I've already mentioned it! I'll say it again though, roasted pumpkin and pumpkin bread.

• Another favourite eating place...

by DellyM Written Sep 3, 2002

Another favourite eating place in Queensland, the dining area in the Crocodylus resort.
    Eating in an open area in the rainforest, so you had the view of the surrounding vegetation and the noises of the birds, frogs etc. Also, the staff were all very friendly and laid back. Generally a very relaxing location and atmosphere. Though not for those who like formal dining.

Favorite Dish: The pancakes with maple syrup served at breakfast. They were HUGE but tasted so nice I managed to eat the whole serving, much to the astonishment of others at my table!!!

State of Queensland Hotels

103 Reviews - 396 Photos
Hervey Bay Hotels
162 Reviews - 320 Photos

Instant Answers: State of Queensland

Comments

State of Queensland Restaurants

Reviews and photos of State of Queensland restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for State of Queensland sightseeing.
Map of State of Queensland