Stanthorpe Off The Beaten Path

Beer tasting.
    Hunting lodge/ski lodge/resort.
    by Steve-H
    The dining room smelled fantastic.

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Stanthorpe

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Granite Belt Brewery, a hidden micro brewery.

by Steve-H Updated Jun 24, 2013
    Beer tasting.

The New England Highway is 914 kilometers long and runs from Toowoomba to Newcastle, it was perfect for my drive from Brisbane to Sydney taking an inland route, a little boring in places but plenty to see and a worthwhile drive especially when I saw the signs for Granite Belt Brewery craft beers. The highway seems designed to go round Stanthorpe so I left the main road and followed the signs, I'm glad I did. The brewery is in a very welcoming wooden building that is deceptive at first, when you go in and the smell of cooking and the wood burner hits your nose you'll feel right at home and realise that this place is bigger than you thought. It features accommodation, a restaurant and bar, function room, gardens and the micro brewery. I tried 4 beers, they were all good and I lingered even though I was supposed to on the road, it's a charming place that reminded me of a ski lodge, the community must be very proud of this place. If you are passing and you see those signs then don't hesitate to take the tour, I recommend it.

• Beer Tasting

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo

Fabulous Fishing

by amandajayne81 Updated Jun 2, 2008

Huge Murray Cod abundant here.

All around this area are spots where you can do a bit of relaxed fishing. I think that the view and scenery is probably the best part but then again I am not a keen fisherperson!

If you are wanting to bring a boat the Stanthorpe Dam (Storm King Dam) is your best option or dams in nearby areas like Glen Lyon which is around an hours drive south (ish).

• Fishing

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo

Mt. Sterling Olives and Thunderbolt Farm

by amandajayne81 Written Apr 10, 2008

Most people visit some (or all) of our various wineries but there are other attractions that suit tea totallers as well. Mt Sterling Olives is on the back road between Severnlea and Glen Aplin (two little villages on the South side of Stanthorpe.) It is pretty well sign posted from the highway. Lots of great Olive products. I don't even like olives but like a heap of their stuff. Also a beautiful garden and a fudge shop! Yay! Big highlight for me. Just keep in mind it is only open on the weekends.

Also it sort of has a winery another five minutes with a German theme (sometimes this is a welcome change from all the 'Italianness' in the district. Claudia the owner appears abrupt but is a great hostess. Visit both.

Instant Answers: Stanthorpe

Comments

Stanthorpe Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Stanthorpe off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stanthorpe sightseeing.