Whitsunday Islands Things to Do

I didn't do it justice...
    by Jyrki
    It's steeper than it looks!
    by Jyrki
    Ocean rafting
    by paradisedreamer

Most Recent Things to Do in Whitsunday Islands

• fred98115's Profile Photo

Semisubmersible at the reef

by fred98115 Updated Jun 18, 2014
    Semisubmersible

Not being a swimmer, snorkeling was out for me, but there was an alternative. The dock had a semisubmersible with glass panes through which the reef could be viewed and photographed without special gear. The reef is outstanding, deserving of the natural wonder status. Shapes varied, mostly brains and fans. Colors were greenish because even at six feet the water has filtered the spectrum. Photographers will note this in their color histograms.

• Photography

• fred98115's Profile Photo

Don wet suit and float the reef

by fred98115 Written Jun 18, 2014
    Snorkelers swimming to the reef

Snorkelers had to don a wet suit - there may be stinging jellyfish - which takes about 30 minutes. Then it's off the dock and a float over the reef to see one of the world's natural wonders. I can't swim, so I used the semisubmersible. My wife snorkeled and said it was impossible to sink due to the wet suit. It is also impossible to take pictures unless you have special gear or a cheap "water" camera.

• Photography

Smiles all round.

by Steve-H Updated Dec 2, 2010

wouldn`t you be happy too?

It's obvious why we are smiling but Whitehaven Beach will bring a grin to the face of anyone, cool white sand, clear blue sea....a perfect location.
    The boat behind us hove gently into view, when we finished the ceremony & kissed a great cheer came from the crew, a nice touch.

Helicopter rides!

by Steve-H Updated Dec 2, 2010

A few of the Whitsundays.

Get a taxi from Airlie Beach to the local airfield, it`s only a few dollars, while you are there say Hi to Ivan Conway the Celebrant who married us on Whitehaven Beach, he lives next to the airfield....You will not get a better view of the islands.

• Adventure Travel

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Diving in the Whitsundays.

Batfish.

The Whitsunday Express took us to Tongue Bay for a spot of snorkeling, these are bat fish, about 2 feet across and very friendly, there is a reef there that you can swim over but no one is allowed ashore as the turtles must not be disturbed.
    The crew dropped a few pellets of fish food into the water to encourage them, this ensures they they are always there for the tourists...like me.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo

Yellow Submarine

by robertgaz Updated May 7, 2008

We all live...

Just off Black Island you will spot the very distinctive Yellow Submarine which gives non-snorkellers a fantastic underwater view of the reefs surrounding the island.

Even for snorkellers it is still well worth the trip in this semi-submersible ship just to see the huge colourful coral bombs and all multitude of magnificent marine creatures.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo

Black Island

by robertgaz Updated May 7, 2008

Black Island

Black Island is a small island in The Whitsunday Group and is surrounded by reef. It is best visited as a part of an organised cruise and is often referred as "Bali Hai" in the travel brochures.

Many tour operators will stop off on this scenic island allowing you some leisure time to find your treasures on the beach or jewels under the sea.

This is definitely a great spot to visit for keen snorkellers!

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Reef World

by MikeAtSea Written Jan 11, 2005

Reefworld in the Great Barrier Reef

We were collected from the ship early in the morning and taken to a platform on the Great Barrier Reef. What I saw when we arrived simply astonished me - a full fledged diving platform, with submarine, undersea window, dive and snorkelling centre, even a helicopter platform near by.
    Professionalism from the dive master who took me down to the reef and the entire overall experience made this stop a fantastic one - and one I love to repeat again some day!
    Fantasea operates day cruises to the reef simply have a look on their web page.

• Alphons's Profile Photo

The Avatar.

by Alphons Updated Dec 7, 2004

The Avatar.

AVATAR is not only built for speed but also presents her-self as a spacious, comfortable vessel both above and below the decks.

This impressive racing thoroughbred will carry her passengers leisurely around the Whitsunday's whilst in holiday mode, however she is kept in full racing trim to compete in at least two major yacht races annually.

AVATAR is one of the fastest, most high tech racing yachts ever to be offered for charter in Australia, so if your taste is for the extreme, then this is the boat to be aboard.

Visit Elvis Montgomery Archibald Watkins

by Jyrki Written Oct 27, 2004

Elvis is in the building!

There are some excellent opportunities for snorkelling on the fringing reefs that surround the Whitsunday islands. The dive masters on board claimed these reefs as part as the Great Barrier Reef and I guess they could make a case but in reality I believe they are a bit too far west. The best spot for snorkelling is Blue Pearl Bay at Hayman Island, don't miss the opportunity to visit the afformentioned Elvis who is a Giant Napolean Wrasse. He is quite inquisitive and will come rihgt up to you to check you out. Don't be afraid he's like a big dog, give him a bet and have a play! In addition t elvis there are all sorts of other fish (parrot fish, butterfly fish, batfish etc.) and we even saw a turtle!

Go Sailing!

by Jyrki Written Oct 26, 2004

It's steeper than it looks!

There are dozens of boats to choose from covering all levels of adventure and all cost brackets from shoestring to big spender. I choose to spoil myself and do some 'real sailing' aboard the "British Defender" an 83 foot maxi racing yacht originally built for an around the World race in the 1980's. It isone of the boats from the Southern Cross fleet. Let me tell you it was worth every penny.

Our boat was ecently crowned the fastest boat in the Whitsunday during the most recent Whitsunday fun race. Unlike some of the so-called 'party boat' on board The Defender we did some serious sailing and had to work for it too! We hauled across the straight at 18 knots (we had great conditions) and even raced another maxi yacht, which we promptly flogged!

In my opinion given the option I would choose the Maxi class yachts any day unless of course all you want to do is sit on the deck, sun tan and drink (nothing wrong with that!)

We booked our trip through Peter Pan in Sydney and paid an extra $100 bucks on top of our package cost to get on board The Defender. If you book in Airlie I think it's about $350 AUD. You get a free t-shirt too!

White Haven Beach

by Jyrki Written Oct 26, 2004

I didn't do it justice...

Found on the largest island (Whitsunday Isalnd itself) of the Whitsunday archipelago you could easily change the name of this immaculate spot to "White Heaven Beach". It is likely the most physically stunning stretch of sand I have ever laid eyes on in my life. From the squeaky white sand from which the beach draws its name to the protected woods that surround the beach to the myriad of marine life that swim in its shallow surounds waters there is truly something for everyone here.

We stopped here on day 2 of our trip and I don't think 3 hours have ever gone by faster in my life. Just taking alone pictures of this extremely photogenic beach from the lookout will be an hour! The beach looks fantastic from every angle and be it low tide or high tide there is just something about the beach you just can't take your eyes off of!

• CandS's Profile Photo

Stonehaven

by CandS Updated Sep 28, 2004

Stonehaven

Stonehaven (Hook Island) was our fourth nights anchorage while on the boat. We arrived early in the morning from Cid Harbour and spent the day snorkelling, fishing and relaxing. It was very calm and sunny while we were there - just perfect!!!! :) It was nice to have not many other boats around.

Stonehaven has protection from north-east to south winds. There are plenty of morings and anchor space too. Stonehaven has good snorkelling and fishing conditions. Ther are also some beaches in the bay and a camping ground at Baird Point.

• Fishing

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Whitehaven Beach

by lashr1999 Written Sep 26, 2004
    Whitehaven Beach

The sand is almost a pure white and is complemented by the clear blue ocean. This is a must see. We had to take a sailboat and then a raft to get to the island. Remember you can not take the sand with you. We were told to use a wetsuit since there were jellyfish or some type or stinging fish at that time. None of us used a suit and we were not stung, I guess we didn't go to the deeper water.

• Study Abroad

• CandS's Profile Photo

Hamilton Island

by CandS Updated Jun 5, 2004

Hamilton Island

We spent our seventh night on the boat at Hamilton Island in the marina. We spent some time down at the resort pool drinking cocktails and relaxing then had dinner at a nice restaurant.

Hamilton Island was our first real brush with civilisation since getting on our boat. The sleep wasn't too good since the nightclub is right next to the marina and the music played till the early hours of the morning...but the water was calm and our ear plugs worked well. ;)

The marina at Hamilton Island gives great protection in very strong winds from all directions. It is a bit difficult to drive into a marina berth if you're a beginner, anchoring at another island will be easier if you're worried about this.

• Spa and Resort

Instant Answers: Whitsunday Islands

Comments

Whitsunday Islands Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Whitsunday Islands things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whitsunday Islands sightseeing.

View all Whitsunday Islands hotels