Whitsunday Islands Transportation

• rebeccahallqvist's Profile Photo

Sail boat

by rebeccahallqvist Updated Apr 4, 2011
    The group on Rogue II

The only way to get to the Whitsundays is by boat (or perhaps private plane or helicopter), and I would by far prefer a sail boat, because it brings a little something to the experience. You should, however, choose company and vessel carefully, since some are party boats, while others are very calm. I would probably avoid the bigger vessels in both cases. Too many passengers is never a good thing.

• National/State Park

Whitehaven Express.

by Steve-H Updated Apr 4, 2011

Not giving way to sail for once.

From Airlie to the Whitsunday Islands there is only one way to travel, by boat, and the best of these is the Whitehaven Express.
    Now capable of 23 knots this means you get more time over the reef and all the other wonderful places that we visited, take a peek at their website because one of the places you can visit is Hill Inlet, used in all the holiday ads on TV this is one of the most beautiful views in the world.

• Cruise

• northeast80's Profile Photo

Southern Cross

by northeast80 Written Feb 21, 2007

All companies offer different types of packages, some party boats where you don't do any work, just lie back sunbath and drink, the historical tall ships, I wanted to do some work so went on a racing ship, called The Southern Cross, which competed in the Americas Cup and won the Louis Vutton Cup, Prince Philip also sailed on the boat!
    Yes it was a little old and leaky but you are on a boat. It has a small toilet and cold water sink with a shower attachment, but to conserve water they don't really recomend long showers, I waited till I was back on dry land. Max. number of 'guests' are 14. They have a few double berths, you can also pay extra if you want to dive the reef. The food was great, we never went hungry, bring your own alcohol.
    I wrote a diary on my main Whitsunday's page.

• Jyrki's Profile Photo

Yacht: The only way to sail

by Jyrki Written Oct 26, 2004

Defending Britain since 1987

The British Defender sure treated us right. Definately the way to see th Whitsundays. She costs a little more but is well worth it. Here she is from a far when our shore boat stopped working and we drifted out to see. Luckily we were rescued by another boat! Close call!

• CandS's Profile Photo

Cumberland Charter Yachts

by CandS Updated Apr 3, 2004
    Sunset Lady

We hired a 40 foot catamaran through Cumberland Charter Yachts from Airlie Beach to travel around the Whitsunday Islands.

These guys have plenty of different sized boats to suit your travel plans and budgets. They also have a fantastic web site to help plan your trip from budget through to travel routes.

The girls in the office were all very helpful and made our trip very easy to organise. The web site makes everything so easy too!

• Beaches

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Transport to Airlie Beach

by Jmill42 Written Mar 18, 2004

Available Routes

I only went with one bus company the entire time going through OZ, and that was McCafferty's. Taking out of account smelly people (remember the old lady Micky?), which you can never control, McCafferty's was excellent. It is fairly inexpensive, and I always took overnight buses, so that I wouldn't waste any time. I would wake up in the place where I wanted to be. Quite perfect.
    The buses were clean, well-driven, and had movies to boot.

I even got to relive some of my European trip because of a movie that they showed. I Spy, the movie with Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson was filmed in Budapest. I had seen the movie before I left, but obviously, did not recognize the setting. But, now I get to watch it and go "I was there!!"

One of the great thrills about traveling, I think.

What about you Micky? ;-)

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Pride of Airlie

by Jmill42 Written Mar 18, 2004

Me and the Pride

Unless you are a really good swimmer, you will need some type of boat to reach Whitehaven Beach and South Molle Island Resort. The company I booked through was Koalas in Airlie Beach. Not only did they provide accommodation in Airlie Beach prior to and after the sailing, but they sold the entire sailing package, as well.

The Pride of Airlie is a luxury sailing catamaran, and is a great way to get around the islands. The boat holds about 20-25 people, maybe less, I can't remember; but no more. So, you get to make some good friends and party buddies for the nights on South Molle.

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

Bus from Cairns

by paradisedreamer Written Oct 23, 2003

The bus trip is about 8 hours and stops in Tully and then Mission beach for lunch. In Townsville we changed coaches and on to Airlie beach, we arrived in Airlie at about 7pm so it is worth booking your first nights accommodation ahead of time.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Fantasea

by CandS Updated Jul 12, 2003

Heart Reef from the air

We took Fantasea Cruises from Hamilton Island airport to Shute Harbour (a town next to Airlie Beach) and return. They are quick and easy but a bit pricy (about $35 per trip).
    Fantasea also does trips to the Great Barrier Reef and some other areas of the Whitsunday Islands...definitely worth doing if you are staying at one of the islands or Airlie Beach.
    There are many other companies who also do trips like this but we only used Fantasea and you will see them advertised almost everywhere you go.

• Adventure Travel
    • Beaches

• alisonr's Profile Photo

We flew from Mt Gambier to...

by alisonr Written Sep 15, 2002

We flew from Mt Gambier to Melbourne, then Melbourne to Hamilton Island, then ferried it to Long Island. On the way, we dropped off people at lots of the islands, so it was a good way to see the area in a short time!
    Walking!!

Helicopter rides.

by Steve-H Updated Apr 4, 2011

steff over Airlie

To appreciate just how small and beautifull the community of Airlie Beach really is take a helicopter ride from Cannovale airfield (just around the corner fron Airlie)

• Adventure Travel

• bluesmama's Profile Photo

Trips around the islands

by bluesmama Written May 25, 2004

Airlie Beach

There are many trips to and around the Whitsunday Islands from Shute Harbour. The hostels in Airlie Beach can help you find the trip that suits you best.

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Sailing around the Whitsundays.

by Steve-H Written Mar 8, 2004

The Logs

This unusual rock formaton is called The Logs and it marks the entrance to Turtle Bay where we had a brief swim over some reef on our wedding day.

Instant Answers: Whitsunday Islands

Comments

Whitsunday Islands Transportation

Reviews and photos of Whitsunday Islands transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whitsunday Islands sightseeing.

View all Whitsunday Islands hotels