Yeppoon Travel Guide

Yeppoon Things to Do

• cafank's Profile Photo
    The Singing Ship  sculpture 4 more images

by cafank Updated Nov 17, 2010

Emu park is a delightful little vilage about 20 k's from Yeppoon and 40k'd from Rockhampton.

Emu Park is home to the famous Singing Ship sculpture which commemorates the explorations of Captain James Cook. When a breeze is blowing a musical sound is heard coming from the fluted pipes of the sculpture. I didn't hear anything on my first visit but last time the ship was really singing - some quite lovely sounds.

At the north entrance to the town (opposite the bus station) is a lovely art galery which displays local arts and crafts. Worth a quick visit - there may be something you have to buy there.

Kele Park is great for a picnic and has wonderful views of the beaches and coastline.

• Beaches
    • Seniors

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Great Keppel Island 1 more image

by balhannah Updated Oct 6, 2009

Great Keppel Island is located off the coast from Yeppoon.

We did the Morning Cruise which departed Rosslyn Bay Boat Harbour at 9.15am.
    You visit the Middle Island Underwater Observatory, Feed large coral trout and go out in a glass bottom boat to look at the Coral.

A nice lunch on the island at Keppel Haven, plenty of Bird life here, then relaxing on the beach.
    There is various types of accommodation on the island, as well as snorkelling, diving, parasailing, jet boating and more adventure activities.

For Younger people, it is known for its night life. A good days outing.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports
    • Adventure Travel

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Singing ship

by balhannah Updated Oct 6, 2009

The Singing ship is located at the little sea side town of Emu Park, south of Yeppoon.

During 1969, the attention of Local Authorities was drawn to the Bi-Centenary of the discovery of Australia by Captain James Cook in 1770 and the desirability of having appropriate celebrations.

As Emu Park was first visited by Captain Cook, The Singing ship musical sculpture was built and dedicated to Captain Cook.

It sings almost constantly with the on shore breezes.

One thing was overlooked at the time, that was the intention to place a Time Capsule in a space left for that purpose in the base of the concrete block supporting the main plaque. The Capsule was placed five years late almost to the day and is to be opened on the 300th anniversary of Captain Cook’s discovery...Better late then never!

If travelling from the south (Brisbane way) the drive from Rockhampton along the coastline is scenic. The Koorana Crocodile farm is located enroute.

Yeppoon Hotels

Yeppoon Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    BLT & Chips 4 more images

by cjg1 Updated Jan 25, 2013

Our friend Gavin brought us here for lunch. He had previously taken some friends here and raved about the food; so it was an obvious choice. The restuarant is right on the main drag in Yeppoon, across from the beach. There are tables both inside and outside with umbrellas. We decided to enjoy the nice Queensland weather and have a seat outside umder an umbrella.

Our server came by and handed us menus. The menu had breakfast items as well as lunch items. After perusing the sandwiches, salads, pizza and other offering I decided to have the BLT with Avocado. Gavin had a BLT as well and my wife chose the Lemon Pepper Calamari. Peach iced teas were our choice of beverage to cool us off.

The food came out relatively quick. Portions here are very big for lunch sized entrees. My BLT was on thick sliced bread and heaped with lettuce, tomato, bacon and big pieces of avocado along with some chips. My wife had a large amoung of calamari rings along with her chips and salad. The BLT was very good and filling. The avocado really made it great. My wife loved her calamari but couldn't finish it so Gavin and I happily finished it for her. If I knew how fresh and sweet the calamari was before I ordered the BLT, I would have gotten this instead. Hands down I would say it was the best Calamari I've ever had.

This was a great choice for lunch and I was glad that Gavin brought us here. Food was good, service good and the view of the beach made it even better.

Favorite Dish: I loved my BLT until I had my wife's Calamari.

Yeppoon Nightlife

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    My wife enjoying the resort 2 more images

by cjg1 Updated Jan 22, 2013

Our friend Gavin who lives in Keppel Sands took us to the Mercure Capricorn Resort for some afternoon drinks. He has stayed here before and thought we would enjoy the resort grounds. I have to say I was indeed glad he took us here. The resort is simply beautiful and has a wonderful pool area. We enjoyed an afternoon by the pool enjoying some drinks from the pool bar (Ripples). Wow, I really must come back here again as a guest of the hotel.

Yeppoon Transportation

• cafank's Profile Photo
    Yeppoon beach front

by cafank Updated Nov 17, 2010

You really do need private transport to get around this area but if you want to stay here you can use the local bus, which is not too frequent, but will get you where you want to go.

If you are visiting for the day it is possible to get to and from Rocky with enough time to have a good look around the towns - or at least some of them.

The Youngs bus comes from Rockhampton to Yeppoon then down the coast to Zilzie. There is also a regular service from Yeppoon to Rockhampton.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Yeppoon

Comments

Yeppoon Travel Guide
Map of Yeppoon