Know about this? Rate It!
Performing Arts in Adelaide
Favorite thing: Adelaide is a city rich with festivals and performing arts events and venues. Among the more notable attractions and sites for artistic opportunities are
(1) The Adelaide Festival Center, on King William Road. Three separate auditoriums, ranging in size from 350 seats (the Space Center) to 612 seats (The Playhouse) to 1,978 seats (The Festival Theater). This is the place in town to see experimental drama, opera, ballet, orchestral concerts and plays. The AFC is home to the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra.
(2) The Arts Theater, on Angus Street. Home to the annual Adelaide Repertory Festival, which hosts five productions a year. The Arts Theater also is home of the Metropolitan Musical Theater Company, which produces two musical comedies per year. Tickets for said comedies are very reasonable, approx A$16 for adults, A$11 for children.
(3) Her Majesty's Theater, on Grote Street, just opposite the city market area. HMT is a 1,000 seat venue that presents drama, comedy, musicals, dance, opera and recitals. Tickets at HMT generally run from A$30 - A$55.
Royal Adelaide Show
Favorite thing: The 2004 Royal Adelaide Show attracted over 600,000 visitors making it the No 1 event in South Australia!
The 2005 Royal Adelaide Show will commence on Friday 2 September and conclude on Saturday 10 September. From 2005, the Royal Adelaide Show will always commence on the first Friday in September, making it easy to plan your diary every year!
- Theme Park Trips
- Family Travel
Adelaide Film Festival
Favorite thing: The critically acclaimed biennial Adelaide Film Festival celebrates and explores contemporary screen culture with a unique program of screenings and special events [including live performance and film, groundbreaking exhibitions and inventive installations].
Fondest memory: http://www.adelaidefilmfestival.org/home.html
- Arts and Culture
FEAST - Adelaide's gay & lesbian cultural festival
Favorite thing: Feast is Adelaide’s annual Lesbian and Gay Cultural Festival and features 23 exciting and culturally diverse days of theatre, cabaret, film, forums, literature, dance, visual arts, tourism, sporting and community events.
Established in 1997, Feast has become one of the top three Australian Gay and Lesbian Festivals distinguished by its diversity of artistic program, strong relationships to the arts, the gay and lesbian community, the corporate sector and all levels of government. Originally a grass roots community organisation, the festival and the organisation has grown over the past seven years and has become an important event on Australia’s gay and lesbian calendar.
Feast 2005 will be held from the 4th to the 27th of November.
Fondest memory: Please see: http://www.feast.org.au/index.php
- Gay and Lesbian
Womadelaide - World Music Festival
Favorite thing: Since 1992, Womadelaide has evolved each year but the original sense of magic remains. Incredible, eclectic and celebrated groups from around the globe bring their talents to the six stages of Botanic Park - a location that is a wonder in itself with its towering hundred-year-old trees and vast expanses of lush lawns.
Womadelaide will be happening again this year (2005) and is an event not to be missed!
Womadelaide 2005 will be held from March 4-6. More than 300 of the world's most eminent artists will visit our city for the event, many in Australia for the first time and many exclusive to the festival.
Weekend tickets to Womadelaide are $168 for adults and $125 concession, a one day/night pass is $95 for adults and $70 concession and a night pass is $72 for adults and $58 concession. They are available now from www.venuetix.com.au and http://www.womadelaide.com.au
You can also book over the phone by calling 1300 30 40 72.
Fondest memory: Adelaide has some wonderful festivals: Womadelaide, The Adelaide Fringe and the other food, wine and arts festivals held throughout the year.
- Arts and Culture
The Festival State
Favorite thing: Being one of the smaller cities in Australia *and the quitest* does not mean there is a lacking of activities.
There is ample opportunity to get a bit of culture and perhaps divert somewhat from the usual movie+dinner date and instead head for some satorical comedy or perhaps a live orchestra recital .. just take your pic
- Theater Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Plenty of choices
- Agoda.com Save up to 75%, Don't miss! Live support, Instant confirmation.
Adelaide Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Saddlebunch Keys Hotels
- Perumalmalai Hotels
- Traverse City Hotels
- Nea Kallikratia
- Red Lake Hotels